I just saw Sicario. Absolutely phenomenal. It's simultaneously both pro-feminism and anti-feminism...

I just saw Sicario. Absolutely phenomenal. It's simultaneously both pro-feminism and anti-feminism. How the fuck does Villenueve do it?

Let's discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/06/juarez-mexico-border-city-drug-cartels-murder-revival/
feministing.com/2015/10/06/spoiler-alert-sicario-fails-the-bechdel-testby-a-lot/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I'm gettin' a boner
What did he mean by this?

>It's simultaneously both pro-feminism and anti-feminism.
It's not really either, it just features a well-rounded female character without trying to prove some dumbass "point" about it

it has nothing to do with feminism, pro or anti, you stunted 56% retard shitstain

pro-feminism makes a movie good now?
fuck off numale

It is amusing to me that that was your take away from the film. Just another sub-demographic looking for their own boogeyman in every cultural medium.

You are fairly like a classmate of mine who did her undergraduate in women studies.

>female lead fucks up at every turn
>nearly gets herself killed if not for Del Toro saving her
>is naïve and wrong the whole movie
>pro-feminism
wha?

>It's simultaneously both pro-feminism and anti-feminism.

Imagine walking away from Sicario with only this to say. Go back to the_donald fat fuck kikeistani.

>It's neither really

OP here. I specifically choose that screenshot to illustrate my point because Matt is fucking chiding this FBI bitch who is clearly unprepared for the job. It's profeminism in the sense that Blunts character is a woman working in a very dangerous male dominated job and is trying her best to do it and be just. It's antifeminism in the sense that points out because she I extremely incompetent and fucks up hard. Mexico border scene was perfect. All the male operators were ready as fuck to go and she was a fish out of water. Trying to tell them all to wait wait wait and staying behind in the car being useless while the men went out and did their fucking job

I'm pretty sure there are some anons that agree with me on how Villenueve shits all over women in Sicario

You fucking idiots haven't an ounce of self awareness

>dude, we have no idea where the hostages are being held in that house
>just crash into the fucking living room with an APC
>dude, there are people between the walls
>let's just tear em down with a fucking crowbar
>dude, we have no idea whos behind that door
>let's just send in the chick and hope for the best
>dude, theres a hatch hidden in the shack
>let's just break it open
>oops, it's wired, we are all dead
Was the point of the opening to make the FBI/HRT look incompetent as fuck?

Feminism doesnt make any claims that women are the exact same as men. It just argues that women deserve the same treatment as men in any situations not explicitly related to sexual traits. This movie doesnt say shit about feminism. Theres nothing that implies that the protagonist's sex was responsible for her mistakes. Youve just taken an instance of a woman making mistakes and skewed it to fit your fucked up perspective.

Wake up you fucking moron.

>OP here. I specifically choose that screenshot to illustrate my point because Matt is fucking chiding this FBI bitch who is clearly unprepared for the job

Not the point OP, and that perspective says more about you than the film.

She was a means to an end, literally not much more.The mission and objective was the only consideration, just one more ball and chain to missions that always have them. More operational stakeholders, the greater the bullshit to surpass.

It's not related to feminism at all

Wow you're fucking thick

You could've replaced her character with a male "rookie" who was equally unfamiliar with those kinds of operations and it'd play out the same. You really gotta stop reading social justice politics into everything, because it's such a narrow, boring way to interpret a film. This is the least interesting discussion we could be having about Sicario, or pretty much any movie

I'm pretty sure there are some anons that agree with me on how OP is a faggot

>It just argues that women deserve the same treatment as men in any situations not explicitly related to sexual traits.
like what?

>Trying to tell them all to wait wait wait and staying behind in the car being useless while the men went out and did their fucking job
She wasn't legally allowed to operate outside of American borders

Imagine watching Sicario and taking a fucking gender relations message from it

Now watch Wind River.

>Was the point of the opening to make the FBI/HRT look incompetent as fuck?
I thought she was part of a local SWAT team that deals with hostage situations and she wasn't a fed. The dudes who opened the hatch in the shed were local/state cops, so yeah they were incompetent in this scenario. The point of this scene was to show how unprepared the state-side law enforcement was to deal with these people. CIA dude even makes a point of this when he's telling Emily Blunt if she doesn't nip this in the bud, there will be bombs and shit like that at every bust.

Only thing I didn't like was the scene where they get caught in traffic at the border. When bullets started flying not a single person in traffic started freaking out. No screaming, no one trying to drive onto the shoulder to get away, nothing. You're telling me there wasn't a single fat white american family there who had never seen something like that passing through the border?

?

White people in Juarez? Maybe white people in Cancun, but that's getting dangerous, too.

But that's not even professional experience i'm talking about. It's pure common sense. Maybe slamming crowbars into plywood isn't a good idea since we already know that the hostages are right behind it, maybe rushing into a dark room all on my own isn't a good idea, maybe cutting the lock on an unsecured hatch isn't a good idea.

Is Juarez really that bad? Okay so no white folks, but would every single person in that traffic jam keep it cool in a scenario like that? Every single one?

True, but the "sheep" audience don't know about the cartels. It's an edumacation.

I mean they're cops, not Mensa members.

>without trying to prove some dumbass "point" about it
this.
I hated it while watching, expecting the typical "SHE EARNS THEIR RESPECT" at the end.

its great
The more times I watch it after the first time through, the better it gets
> apart from LEMMEAXYOUSUMTIN

That movie is literally going from 0 to 100 in 5 minutes. At first i thought it was like a slow murder mystery thriller thing and then it turns into 29 Palms.

smoke more kush dog it will make sense then.

Retards like you always manage to insert their shitty worldview into the most innocuous shit.

Exactly. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

It's stabilized. I mean yeah it's still shit but it's not one of the worst cities in Mexico anymore. El Paso (literally the same city but on the US side of the border) feels like a perfectly normal Southwestern city.

nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/06/juarez-mexico-border-city-drug-cartels-murder-revival/

>Was the point of the opening to make the FBI/HRT look incompetent as fuck?
FBI agents ARE incompetent as fuck IRL

Pretty common.
feministing.com/2015/10/06/spoiler-alert-sicario-fails-the-bechdel-testby-a-lot/

>While I was hoping for more of an ass-kicking presence from Blunt, the writing reduces her character Macer to looking like a deer in headlights without much of a purpose. It is also riddled with uncomfortable moments in gender politics, including Macer being condescended to on a regular basis and saved from a bad guy. Not to mention the use of the “boys” every other sentence to describe the group despite Macer’s presence.

That Bechdel checklist bullshit is stupid, but I always thought that whole bit with Jon Bernthal was a weird detour for the movie, that wasn't written very well and didn't add much. After seeing Blade Runner, I'm convinced Denis just wanted an erotic strangulation scene

>including Macer being condescended to on a regular basis
This kind of bullshit bothers me too, I see it so often in modern criticism. These same people will insist they deal with sexism on a daily basis from every man in their life. But when they're watching a movie that's attempting to be realistic, and they see the exact same thing, they take it as a sign that the movie is "sexist." Is every film supposed to be an idealistic fantasy?

I was just jerking off to Emily Blunt's feet the whole time. Move along.

>Feminism doesnt make any claims that women are the exact same as men.
HAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

The reason whey they choose her is because they needed her. They needed her in the sense in that they needed some dumb bitch. You expect this movie to be about strong female characters, to be about feminism, women in military etc and it's not about that. It's a smokescreen. It's a distraction.

It's subversion of the "rookie" character. You think that the rookie is gonna uncover some shit, and then become the hero. But then you realize the movie is about del toro character. He's the main character of the movie. He used to bitch for his personal gain. For his vendetta.

technically, all they needed was any FBI agent. They didn't pick her because she was a weak woman. They could've picked the black dude. They didn't because they wanted someone who was ambitious in the ranks, not someone who was going be a PIA. The FBI are incompetent as it is. The big reason they are incompetent are the reason that Blunt's character was such a high riser; they are ingrained in bureaucratic process, so much so they can't operate/process the very thing they're trying to stop.

The cartel wars operate on a plane so divorced from civilization and business rules, that you need untethered mercs to operate at their level. Meet violence with overwhelming violent response...that isn't too democratic.

I guess this is kind of a pet theme for Villeneuve at this point, the main character discovering that they're not that significant and it isn't all about them

quebec rules

The reason they didn't pick the black dude was because he was a law student, and thus would be savvy enough to know that what they were doing was illegal as all fuck much quicker than Blunt's character.

Which is why Brolin's character remarks about the black guy being a lawyer in the beginning when they're making the decision.

what did alejandro mean by this?

Display of dominance, whiteboi.

>i love that the first half is pro feminism, getting that female crowd hyped af, then second half is reality, probably females around the world were saying "boohoo wheres my stronk wymyn scene"

>Refreshing subversion of all the empowered womyn stuff being shoved down our throats.
>/operator/ kino
>Benicio Del Toro playing the role he was born to play
>Black and Grey morality
>Training Day + Zero Dark Thirty + Villenueve

Possibly my favorite movie of all time. I loved it way before Sup Forums came around to it.

People like you who have to categorize everything in a form of statement are so fucking annoying. Wish you’d chill a little and try to see things for what they are first, I believe some artists in our very politicized times still try to make something not firmly tied with contemporary agenda.

It wasn’t HRT, it was just two regular FBI agents attached to a SWAT team, are you thick?

the Feds are kind of clowns irl

I watched this a couple of days ago after seeing BR2049. Visually it was amazing, especially the scene where they're rolling into Juarez. It reminded me a lot of True Detective actually, I'm a big fan of mysteries where it slowly dawns on the protag how insignificant they are

As far as I understand these people truly believe everything supposed to be a “celebration” of their morally superior ideas. Like it’s literally what the totalitarian Soviet cinema was doing with working class in pre-Khruschev era, it’s so surreal to observe it coming from the West now, a lot of people in my country always viewed it as an example of functioning liberties.

>I'm a big fan of mysteries where it slowly dawns on the protag how insignificant they are

Same here user, I love movies where the characters have more questions and are more uncertain at the end, than at the beginning

Villeneuve never says shit. Sometimes his screenwriters say stuff but Villenueve is just a blank-slate.

Neo-Conservativism, the movie
I loved it

>The Sicarii (Modern Hebrew: סיקריים siqari'im) were a splinter group of the Jewish Zealots who, in the decades preceding Jerusalem's destruction in 70 CE, heavily opposed the Roman occupation of Judea and attempted to expel them and their sympathizers from the area.[1] The Sicarii carried sicae, or small daggers, concealed in their cloaks.[2] At public gatherings, they pulled out these daggers to attack Romans and Hebrew Roman sympathizers alike, blending into the crowd after the deed to escape detection.

The Sicarii were likely one of the earliest forms of an organized assassination unit of cloak and daggers, predating the Islamic Hashishin and Japanese ninjas by centuries.[3][4]

twas a good film.

>It's simultaneously both pro-feminism and anti-feminism
It has no statement about females whatsoever. It's not like Silence of the Lambs where the sex of the main character was actually touched on.

>pro-feminism and anti-feminism
its not about that OP stop being a retard

The film is about the failure of the War on Drugs and how it is used by the military and intelligence and law enforcement to expand their beaurocracy and funding and power