Opinion: The Force Awakens was worse than any Star Wars prequel

Opinion: The Force Awakens was worse than any Star Wars prequel.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FCT04eU8kuw
redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/track/star-wars-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-commentary-track
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Prequels were interesting ideas that were executed terribly. The Force Awakens was a painfully inferior recycle of proven ideas.

Exactly. As much as they aren't very good, they're not fucking rehashes.

>Star Wars prequel.
Wrong. Rogue One is worse.

Never saw it. How shit?

its the 3rd best prequel film

I unironically think its better than the og films. Nostalgia fags are on the wrong side of history. Those movies suck.

So you mean fact thread?

Yes, that is the objectively correct opinion. Glad you were able to figure that out.

Cool argument.

I saw TFA 2 times. IT was meh. No real emotional investment in the movie. Won't buy it or anything associated to it.

Saw Rouge One 2 times in theater. I've watched it like 5-6 times on netflix. Really love parts of that movie, and overall its much more fullfilling as a Starwars Movie.

New Last Jedi trailer. Meh, looks basic. Mary sue-a-thon. Blah blah.. Porgs... gay.

In all seriousness, can you elaborate on how it's better than the originals?

I was about to walk out of the theater the moment I heard that line "I hope this begins to put things right" or whatever he says. Go fuck yourself Abrams you fucking sorry piece of shit hack. You will never create anything anyone will give a fuck about.

It wasnt stolen from a japanese man

>having a different opinion about a film is being "on the wrong side of history"

Go back to /r/SubredditDrama.

But that's a fact.

All you see online is dumbasses saying it "redeemed the prequels" and I'm just sitting there like

I watched Force Awakens at least 4 times in theaters despite immediately disliking it.
I watched Rogue One in theaters and have never desired to subject myself to that again.
Isn't NuWars weird?

>placing any value in the phrase "the wrong side of history"
What are you, a woman?

>using elements from Seven Samurai = stealing
wut

Oh? This oughta be good

I'm fully aware my nostalgia neurons were being manipulated during the entire movie, and I have no illusions about why the movie was made and by whom (to make shit tons of money, by corporate stooges) but TFA is just an insanely entertaining movie. I have a silly grin on my face throughout the movie every time I watch it. It's just fucking FUN, and I don't see what's wrong with that, nor do I feel guilty for feeling that way.

Slow down there. As much as I dislike The Force Awakens, I can admit that it is competent at best. But it will not age well. Its successfully was largely dependent on the circumstances it was released under. People wanted Original Trilogy aesthetics and characters again after the bad taste the previous films left in their mouth. The Prequels are overly convoluted and don't gel well with the Original Trilogy. Although with the right person in charge, the Prequels could have actually been just as good as or even better than the Original Trilogy (ANH and TESB are great films). The potential was there.

Look up the hidden fortress(1958) and tell me lucas didnt literally steal that shit.

Yeah. With the prequels, even if the narrative was not very good, they were at least original. Naboo was easily one of the most unique and interesting planets in the entire series. Force Awakens is to the original trilogy what Star Trek: Into Darkness is to The Wrath Of Khan.

Prequels: Great concepts, terrible execution.
Sequels: Terrible concepts, great execution.

Nope. He's fully admitted that the film was a big inspiration to him. He didn't rip off shit.

I completely agree OP

Ok pal.

That's fair. I'm not gonna stop you from enjoying it.

And? It was not just The Hidden Fortress. Lucas was inspired heavily by Flash Gordon, World War II, westerns, and mythology as well. A balanced dish. The Force Awakens borrows almost entirely from a single source. Major difference.

Disney literally saved star wars. You cannot refute this.

IV > V > VI > R1 > VII > III > I > II

"""""""""""Inspired"""""""""""

Disney will kill Star Wars if they continue on their current route. You cannot refute this.

I disagree. Its in good hands.

Nigger its fucking Star Wars, anything with that label would sell millions on the same alone, Disney or not. Disney is killing Star Wars with their focus tested MCU-like trash.

They made it a corporate cash cow of endless films, shows and toys with no soul left.

So, just like it has been since the 70s?

Look at all the complaints about the iconic imagery and fan service in Rogue One. It actually made sense there, unlike The Force Awakens. If The Last Jedi borrows too much from Empire or doesn't deliver then it's over. That combined with the yearly releases will kill this franchise in ten years tops.

>Nigger its fucking Star Wars
I'm gonna start saying that.

no no no no NO you SEXIST PIG!

The FORCE IS FEMALE!!!!!!

The force awakens pretty much killed srar wars for me, theres nothing to look forward to.
>no new interesting locales
>no interesting characters
>no interesting aliens
>no interesting world building
>just rehashed OT tripe through a corporate straw gobbled up by rlm faggots.
Seriously who gives a shit about any of the new characters?

>A trilogy with 3 years between each installment and almost twenty years between trilogies is the same as a movie every year

The toys were a byproduct of the films (except maybe Ewoks). Now it's the other way around.

I wish they could release 2 or 3 movies a year. Its never enough.

except all the new toys are just old toys with different paint instead of actually being new toys. It took me a while to understand why people actually like the prequels but it's not because most of them think the prequels are good movies, it's because they grew up on them and they really liked how new the planets, aliens, ships, etc were. They like the prequel setting and universe, and may share a soft spot for the films but will tell you the movies were not the draw that kept them interested in Star Wars.

Meanwhile, kids now just have the toys their parents had BUT BIGGER AND MORE EPICER AND MORE OCER

youtu.be/FCT04eU8kuw

>they will kill this franchise
Imagine being this delusional.

>Naboo was easily one of the most unique and interesting planets in the entire series.

True. But that's due to the fact that planets in Star Wars are laughably 1 dimensional.

>Desert Planet
>Ice Planet
>Swamp Planet
>Forest MOON
>City Planet
>Ocean Planet
>Beach Planet
>Lava Planet

So yeah, Naboo had forests and grassy plains and deep lakes with underwater bubble cities and pretty waterfalls. But one of the Plinkett criticisms that was valid was how wasn't Naboo self-sufficient? Unless everyone on the planet had space-AIDS and the blockade wasn't allowing space-AIDS medicine to be shipped in from Toydaria or some shit.

This, a million times over.
I can watch the prequels, sure the first two are on the cringe worthy side but the plot and the setting are intresting.The third one I accually really like for those resons. Maybe even more than the first one. But dear god if I try to watch the force awakens. It's so empty... It's like a good painting but if the painter forgot to use the paint... There just isn't anything there.

>would rather have film after film just to see cool laser fights instead of an actual proper movie
>thinks we're idiots

My thoughts exactly.

TFA is 1000x better made than the prequels, but that's just what makes me hate it more. TFA is still bad but what could have been is so apparent that it makes the shit aspects stick out more.

When you first watch TFA you do get blinded by "hey, this is Star Wars!" because of the surface level details but when you pay slightly more attention you realise how bad everything that isn't the superficial top layer is. The prequels ironically feel so disconnected that them being shit doesn't bother you as much.

I love the hokey shit Lucas tosses in, like ship to ship broadsides in space.

TFA has nothing for it beyond the veneer of a plot. It's just such a dry film that tries to be more with dumb callbacks and quips, but there's nothing there. Simply, there's no magic. There's no reason to watch it, you've already seen A New Hope.

To be fair to the RLM guys, they are ripping on the new stuff a bit more.
They really dropped the ball though letting that force awakens turd get a stamp of approval. They made up for it by bashing rogue one.

Check out the commentary track here:

redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/track/star-wars-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-commentary-track

For me though, TFA killed star wars. I actually thought that Disney might do well with this stuff given its history of decent classic movies. I even imagined a disney style 2d animated starwars movie perhaps being an interesting possibility...

What I got was a gigantic turd. It wasn't just that it was bad, it was obnoxious too. Star wars was being used as a vehicle for pushing a social agenda that, lets face it, is completely fucking dying and getting tanked on the internet constantly. Nobody wants "social justice" shit. It's dead in the water and doesn't know it yet.

One particular thing they kept on saying was "this is star wars for a NEW generation!". This line demonstrates that they do not understand starwars.
Starwars and the point george lucas was making, demonstrates that while times change, a lot of our ideas about stories and heroics do not. The hero with athousand faces. The monomyth. Radical traditionalism. Jungian archetypes, the heroes journey etc, these things are "classic" and thus stand the test of time.
You don't need to star wars for a "new generation" because there are no "new" generations. It's a fundamental error in their thinking that stems from their flawed "social change" and marxian dialectical perspective on people and society.

Something funny about all of this is that Disney has killed starwars in cinema, yet made star wars a reality. An evil empire has taken over the star wars universe and tries to "improve things" in ways that actually cause pain and suffering.
They have vast resources and tones of uniformed drones to push their agenda and yet, there is a rebellion...

As bad as even Clones gets, the scenes involving Kamino are amazing. You're as confused as Obi-wan, but at least the long-neck alien is kind of sexy. Those films also felt much larger that TFA, even with its addition of new planets. Try to pick out a new distinct alien from the new cantina.

Except the fact that the prequels were awesome. So awesome in fact that I sometimes would've liked to have seen an OT in a prequel style.

Rogue One was as technically competent as TFA, but actually better overall even without the direct connection the main Skywalker storyline simply because it didn't cover the same exact ground beat for beat. I was kind of wowed at first because "hey new star wars" but that novelty wore off in about a week and I resent ever feeling that way, and it's only deepened from seeing what Disney is doing with projects going forward and their reworking of the entire canon and lore to something less mystical and broad to a single fucking tree and a story about a good girl and bad boy. Wow, way to kill the Force even more than midiclorians.

>but TFA is just an insanely entertaining movie. I have a silly grin on my face throughout the movie every time I watch it. It's just fucking FUN
I think TFA starts out okay. Rey being a dipshit kid hobo and the very brief, but very good chemistry between Finn and Poe are good. But then Finn meets up with Rey and it's just a straight plummet down in the diarrhoea flooded sewer after that.

There was a very small amount of good non-movie material made before Disney. There has been zero since.

No. Attack of the clones was worse. Also, I've decided to withhold judgement on TFA until TLJ informs on it.

I kind of like detective Obi and think you could probably have made a good movie just about that, but it wouldn't make sense as part of a trilogy and people would say it's not Star Wars.

Kenobi should have been our protagonist for all prequel films. Anakin should have only slowly gained prominence as the prequels progressed with each new film.

Or we can go on Sup Forums and pretend to like it.

I feel like that was the idea.

From what I've seen, rogue one had some decent action scenes that would've been cool if they were attached to a story anyone care about.
It definitely seems better than TFA.

TFA simply wasn't a star wars movie. It looks bad, it's soundtrack is uninspired and the characters are boring.
The worst failing of all is that it was a story that didn't need to be told. Episode six ended the story. In order for there to be an additional saga there has to be a very good justification for it. This is the saga of anakin skywalker and the story of how he brings balance to the force. It has to be about this in the story arc.

There are SO MANY INTERESTING THINGS you could do with this source material, I even came up with a whole bunch myself. TFA appears to have been created by totally stone cold corporate hacks. They snubbed lucas and it shows.

>Look up the hidden fortress(1958) and tell me lucas didnt literally steal that shit.
so the tfa was just a copy of a copy and that makes it better? use your head user

Its something I will never understand which is the hatred displayed for rogue one. Now I absolutely hate what it represents in terms of meaning that we'll never move past the yoke of the OT, the movie itself was fine. It was a small story that was concise, showed off a bit more of the universe, and wrapped up how the plans got to the rebels. It did what it needed to do unlike tfa which systematically destroyed everything from the ot.

IV > V > VI > III > R1 >VII > I = II
dont @ me

Too bad it wasn't implemented. In TPM our protagonist was Qui Gon (a character who shouldn't have existed as cool as he was) while Anakin was introduced while Obi Wan just stood around mostly or relayed messages. In AotC, while Obi Wan had a major role, I'd say our protagonist had already shifted to Anakin with the romance angle. By RotS Anakin was in uber protagonist mode while Obi Wan was once again relegated to mostly standing around until the end.

I agree it was sort of the idea, but was poorly written or executed.

Hey, fuck you buddy.

>My only real problem with The Force Awakens was the lack of interracial gay sex.

What did Mike mean by this?

The entire inherent problem with the prequels is that the only reason to make them is to show the Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship, but the OT already specifies that jedi training starts young so you HAVE to start with a kid/tween Anakin which automatically makes it shit. You can't have a buddy film that shows the growth of the relationship when you already specified that it started that young.

Mike wanted interracial straight sex, not interracial gay sex and that's why he's not my nigga. Poe fucking Finn is literally the only interesting thing that could come from TFA.

>Rey will join the bad guys in the final film of this trilogy and have kids to repeat the Darth Vader story
>Said kids will eventually defeat her ushering in a new era of peace
>Said kid's kids will turn evil
>People will try to justify not killing everyone who descended from Darth Vader even though this happens again and again because they think it's deep

calling it now. it'll be an endless cycle.

Oh wow. That's my biggest flaw with the prequels actually. I don't think we have to see Anakin as a kid at all. I think we can start with an Anakin aged to about 20 or so in '1' and move forward from there. Imagine instead of trouble on Naboo, we '1's plot revolves around trouble on Alderaan and we meet Jedi Knight Obi Wan and his young adult (20 or so) apprentice Anakin Skywalker. We can fill in the backstory as the prequels progress as was the case in the original trilogy. I think the biggest problem with the prequels and with TFA is how they're trying to shoehorn so much info and detail into the script. They should let it all play out and leave room for some mystery as to how or why events occurred.

Don't give them ideas.

Only thing I can think of is in Gurren Lagann wasn't Kamina significantly older than the Simon kid? You can have some dude in his late teens early twenties mentoring a kid.