What the hell was his problem?

what the hell was his problem?

None at all. He was a very competent business man.

he wasn't breastfed enough

He didn't want people to succeed

AREN'T YOU A HEALER?

too many milkshakes

His ambition was driven by his hatred for people. I thought this was pretty clearly communicated.

>It was just good business

It's the other way around. He started to hate people when they could not get on his level and act in their self-interest, and it got worse over a lifetime of plebs trying to trip him up and slow him down with petty, wrongheaded bullshit. That bit about "drainage" at the end can be applied to the film in a bunch of different ways. The world just hollowed him out and turned him into a monster

>other characters who did nothing wrong
Eduardo dug his own grave and tried to sabotage the company out of petty jealousy. There's no possible way Mark could've not fired him, there's no possible way he could've kept his original percentage after the company was flooded with capital

>stealing project from other students
yeah nah fuck him

i agree with this. if you lose sight of civilisation, you become different

He didn't, though. Their shitty idea inspired him to have a good one. Real-life Mark Zuckerberg is a prick bent on world domination, but movie-Mark was 100% in the right

A true libertarian icon this guy.

The worst part is how he had become so estranged from his adopted son
>bastard in a basket
heartbreaking really, what really killed him was his pride and ambitious drive which pushed everything away that could have saved him.

WOOF WOOF WOOF

Original capitalists got nothing on this generation of startuppers. At least old guys had to struggle for some time to make a fortune, these fuckers become gorillioners in a few years now while still in their teens and think they're better than other people, I truly believe they're capable of horrible things that would make despots of the past look like tooth fairies.

no bully pls

He was a man who made his living by tapping into humanity's fear for our own self preservation - and the lengths we'll go to achieve it.

And in that role, he saw the worst humanity had to offer. He saw humans as the barrel of crabs that we are, constantly crawling over one another and pulling down one another as we attempt to escape, ultimately trapping us all until we're devoured by forces greater than ourselves.

But listen to the conversation he has with the man he believed to be his brother, and you'll hear a man that was so desperate for just one person to show him there was more to life that simply having the most wealth attached to your name when you die.

But he never does.

His dick couldn't get hard because he inhaled too much oil well fume.

It's in the screenplay, but was cut out later.

>what the hell was his problem?
Never got to get liquored up and take a girl to the peach tree dance

Yep. Google and Facebook freak me the fuck out. That blank-eyed "making the world a better place" missionary mindset, coupled with limitless access to EVERYONE'S personal information, private conversations, and a detailed profile of our inner lives in Google searches and browsing histories, cannot lead anywhere good.

Well he did admit that part of the reason he even took the dead worker's son is to appeal to the audience of farmsteaders he was trying to manipulate to buy up their land and to convince shareholders he had strong moral values.

He named the kid Human Worker for fuck sake.

I think he did genuinely love HW, or at least really wished he could.

>what really killed him was his pride and ambitious drive which pushed everything away that could have saved him
He is alive at the end of the film

Nothing, he's based on exactly how real life early American magnates made their fortunes, through callous disregard of social mores and murderous ambition. Did you think that you just out hustled people with superior wit and cunning?

He chose to spend his days in a drunken stupor, destroying his own possessions.

If you call that living, then yeah, I guess he was alive.

Fuck off youngfag. You have no life experience

he's not a real person, he's a drawing meant to convey the artist's thoughts and feelings, in this case re: capitalism and the robber barons of the late 1800's

I promise you that I'm older than you, which is why I can honestly say it really was family and friends and all that saccharine Hallmark channel shit that made me most happy as the years went on, even if that means I can't be some badass Clint Eastwood man unto himself type that people like to pretend they are online. Plainview felt the same way, which is why he was so happy to have Henry back in his life, and why he reacted so viciously when he learned he was an imposter. It's why he started ranting when H.W. said he was leaving him. Deep down this was a guy who wanted a family and wanted to believe that not all humans were shit, but nobody ever proved him wrong.

He had a competition in him.

you know its almost directly based off a series of actual robber barons who actually did things like this, ya?