The Death Of Stalin

From the creator of The Thick Of It, In The Loop and Veep. Anyone else seen this?

My own thoughts: I thought it was one of the best satires I'd seen in quite a while, non-partisan and tight, well put-together. Iannucci is good at blending comedy and tragedy without it feeling disjointed or like a preachy cautionary tale. The climax really balanced bringing home the horror of the brutality with keeping things accessible for a mainstream audience. Also really glad to see Buscemi and Palin bring in such great performances so late in their careers. I didn't know any of the specifics of the history going in, so I didn't know who would live and who would die etc.; I'm curious to see how the film plays to those who are already aware of the outcomes and whether it's still just as engaging.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NaM5mha5GRg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

DUDE COMMUNISM WASN'T EVIL THEY WERE JUST A BUNCH OF LADS WHO LOST THEIR WAY LMAO

There's something really weird about communist celebrities mocking communism for its failures while still supporting it

>Stalin put his daughter's first love in the gulag

What was his problem?

saw it few weeks ago.
it was great desu.

Nigger did you watch the movie? He presented Communism as retarded and evil

It was essentially a Mafia film which was brilliant

That Yorkshire accent for Zhukov was perfect

Does Russia have an equivalent to Yorkshire?

LOOK AT YOUR FOOKIN FACE

>Chose not to see it because iannucci insulted Trump
Lol remember when Trump supporters used to make fun of the left for being easily triggered snowflakes?

Wasn't in cinemas where I live. It's a shame, because the movie looked really fun from the trailer.

>current president is insulted by the media
HOLY SHIT GUYS STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!

I can't name a single communist celebrity, what are you talking about?

>wop humor
No thanks

>names don't match the image of the actor

Can't even tell if these comments are ironic anymore

youtube.com/watch?v=NaM5mha5GRg

you're a little bitch then

You are a retard.

Simon Russel Beale is a main character so it makes sense for his name to be up there
but his face isn't shown on the poster 'cause he's a stage actor and moviegoers won't recognise him

Looks like TV fare which gets hyped up by friendly reviewers like Kermode

>dude let's kill millions of our own people for now reason lmao
How could anyone think that this was a good idea

>names not in the same order as the faces

hollywood is so disgustingly self absorbed

>When he throws off his coat and his medals flop like glittering cocks

Not a pussy was dry in the theatre

it's a LOT darker than the trailers make out, I don't think it's 'comfy' enough to be considered tv fare

>all the officials trying to figure out how to gather around the body and carry it without getting Stalin's piss all over them
kino

Nah it was really at home in cinema, the sets were grand and epic as fuck

this, I've always wondered what Iannucci would do with a broader canvas and this was fantastic to see on an immersive screen, it has the pomp and circumstance of a film like Inglorious Basterds but with a much tighter editor and writer, it's like the famous bar stand-off from that film crossed with the climax but extended for 90-so minutes

I thought it was alright but not great. It's not a patch on his best TV stuff. It's not as over the top, which might be a wise decision, but I do think the humour suffers. I also felt some of the situations were just a little forced, like the concert at the start. I was also surprised IA didn't make more fun of the nonsense of Communist orthodoxy and doctrine. Missed something there.

ianucci never made a bad movie/tv show

How am I supposed to watch this if I am an Americlap?

Apparently the opening scene was a true story, right down to the fire bucket iirc
The main detail they changed was the new conductor they brought in was drunk when he turned up, so they had to find a THIRD conductor

Truth is stranger than fiction etc.

No more evil than capitalism.

zhukov was a turbomanlet

all the commies were turbomanlets

this is heightwashing

he was Georgian

And the kikes?

I know right, why won't America get proper healthcare?
What's the GOP's long game?

Daddy beat him.

But if everyone was heightwashed that means no one was heightwashed...

that makes zero fucking sense

everyone in this movie should be played by someone 5' 6" or shorter, otherwise it's heightwashing

But I mean, you can only tell their height in relation to each other. How do you know Zhukov wasn't the right height

>you can only tell their height in relation to each other.
BULL FUCKING SHIT

A 5' 5" MAN IS A 5' 5" MAN, THEY LOOK DIFFERENT WITHOUT THE DISGUSTING LONG LEGS OF THE INFERIOR LANKLET RACE