youtube.com/watch?v=xAM6mG6BWjw
youtube.com/watch?v=Zv1FyQn2kQA
youtube.com/watch?v=du_lTZ3igqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ts4axsSHlpA
youtube.com/watch?v=QMT6q-tEzsk
youtube.com/watch?v=lNeQ1B5zpOw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cyclic fads.

I'm sure as hell enjoying Carpenter Brut and shit during my morning commute.

i dont know, i find it strange that everyone is so late to this bandwagon. Drive was like 5 years late, Started in 06 as a little french music scene with matching album covers. Kinda cringey desu please keep up.

Why does every fucking pleb think every film with a synthesizer and colorful lighting is "80s?" 80s films didn't look or sound anything like this. This whole fad is distinct for the 2010s. But we are in a similar cultural period to the 80s, in that the film market is dominated by "blockbuster" franchises and genre films

People turn to the past since the present is so shit and jewified

The synthwave look/aesthetic in its current form can be traced back to Drive.

They did that in the 80's as well, with movies taking place in the 50's

Everyone who grew up in the 80s are now in their 30s/ pushing 40 which means they're the ones writing things right now.

In fact we are living a repeat of the 1980s. It's the cyclical 20/30-year-nostalgia where we fall on bad times and look back at times we had it better, as a whole. So we look back at the 80s:

>2010s, after terrorism and economic crisis
>the 80's seem full of feel-good sentiments
>catchy music and all-around popular movies
>most people in their 40s-50s grew up then
>synthwave/vaporwave is gaining support
>80's fashion comes back (for women)
>America elects Donald Trump, a prominent 80s businessman and media honcho
>lots of show set in the 80s (The Americans, Stranger Things)

Compare it with the 80s, in which people had a big hard-on for the 1950s:

>1980s, after Vietnam and oil shock
>The 50's seems full of feel-good sentiments
>catchy music and all-around popular movies
>most of the middle-class grew up back then
>50's fashion comes back (ie headbands for women, jeans)
>America elects Ronald Reagan, a prominent 50s actor

See the parralel? We ARE the 80s both in shape and in depth.
I predict that the 2020s will see a revival of the 90s for a similar reason.
Note how many fashions of the 70s also came back during the 90s like flared jeans and butterfly collars

white supremacy driving a nostalgic back to the era when black people were forced to do crack by the cia

reddit

kids that grew up in the 80's are now the bulk of adults with disposable income, so whatever they like sells, and people like childhood nostalgia

You can't expect to have exactly a repeat of the 80s. Rather we see the 80s through Hollywood's rose-tinted glasses. Bright colors and synthetizer music was a big part of the 80's aesthetic and that's why people remember that most, even if of course the gritty parts get forgoten

Synthwave thread. What you guys listening to?

youtu.be/W_5unoZTpoQ

This fad happened in the mid 2000s and now its happening again

>I predict that the 2020s will see a revival of the 90s for a similar reason.

WTF Russia will collapse again and peace dividend 2 happens?!?1?

youtube.com/watch?v=8dags3mDT44

Fuck out of here. Synthwave, whatever you wish to call it, is here to stay. Done right, it's damn good music and I wish more movies heavy on that kind of night life atmosphere would feature it.

In nostalgia faggot, not in RL events
Unless something the size of 9/11 happens some centrist will be elected in 2024 and people will have a hard on for 90's music (you can already see this with the vaporwave/seapunk aesthetic)

Intradesting comparisons my dude.

But what about shit before the latter half of the 20th century?

There is something weird about western culture right now. Nothing is new. Nothing is real. Everything is a half baked facsimile of something that came before. People become "nostalgic" for shit that happened less than a decade ago. I don't know what it all means. It's unsustainable thats for sure.

The 00s were supposed to be 80s nostalgia, but people hopped on very late. Honestly I dont think the music is that good. Some movies and netflix series have dragged it super far.

I remember girls in highschool dressing 80s in 2005. Don't forget GTA: Vice City.

The 9-11 attacks of September 11th happened man.

Shit fucked everything.

God damn it.

>Cyclic fads.

It's an odd one though. I feel like "The 80s" has cycled back around a few times since 2000.
Maybe there was just more to culturally mine? It had quite a few clear cut periods.
Maybe the inspirational aspect to the Reagan/Yuppie era appeals to people?
Maybe it's just the simple pleasing graphics and synth lines?

*asperational (fucking spellcuntcheck)

I think there's like a 30 year retro rule.
When 30 years has passed since an era its old enough that you have a combination of young people rediscovering the time and older people feeling nostalgic for it.
In the 2000s the 70s were hot, in the 2020s it'll be the 90s

t.literal retard who was not even alive in the 80s

youtu.be/Bv4jOz-mySA

FM-84 is fucking great.

youtu.be/5W8mvLKSq-U

your a retard the 90's have been retro'd a shit ton this decade already

also this thread is cancer holy shit

Around 2002-2004 if I remember correctly.

>what about shit before the latter half of the 20th century?
Too far removed for people to feel a connection. Our world, like it or hate it, began somewhere between 1945 and 1968.

>It's unsustainable thats for sure.
We will grow sick of the present eventually, because relative to the past, some may find it has "less" to offer

Great point. But there are differences in the intensity of the nostalgia, though.

I wouldn't call what we have now an 80's revival. It was rooted in 80's and I remember it might have started around the time Lady Gaga made the retro stuff mainstream again, but now it has evolved into its own thing which is heavily inspired by 80's aesthetics, but definitely more modern and different.

>early millenial nostalgia

this

We will have start having 90s revivals in the early 2020s
ZOMG LOOK AT HOW BIG THOSE COMPUTERS ARE

>(You)

It was a better time.

If you were born in 1980 you'd be 37 now. If you were born in 1989 you'd be 28. These people are the middle class and still have disposable income to spend on media. So the media appeals to them.

I got into neo-80s with Hotline Miami and Blood Dragon.
I found Kavinsky and found out Hotline Miami was inspired by Drive.
I still like the exaggerated neo-80s aesthetic with neon everything and synth than real 80s.

>t. Brainlet born in 2006

Read Simon Reynolds' Retromania and explore "hauntology", Mark Fisher is good.

youtube.com/watch?v=r-vJBF8WVKY

What the fuck is this

Danger 5 mein freund

It says video deleted

What country are you in?

France
But ffs, even on hooktube it doesn't work

>itt: people who were too young for the first wave of 80s nostalgia in 2002

Perfect storm of Drive,Hotline Miami and artists making synth.

This

Electroclash > synthwave

Odd. It works find for me in the US.

It's just a song dariorusso.bandcamp.com/track/youre-gonna-do-it-tonight-my-friend

fine*

This was the first piece of 80's nostalgia

>Electroclash
I still have a soft spot for it, hard to believe that was 15 years ago
>youtube.com/watch?v=W8yGo3t91nE

>In the 2000s the 70s were hot
Were they? I was in my teens in the 2000s and I don't remember any nostalgia for the 70s

Dance with the Dead is my main jam.

Other than that, Carpenter Brut.

the same for me

Tommyyyyyyy
THAT WAS MY MONEEEEEY

youtube.com/watch?v=vQS3IaR1NVU

It was mid 90's through mid 00s'

That 70's Show
Austin Powers
Mini Cooper
New Beetle
etc

The 70s were hot in the 90s
Watch "Fight Club" and don't tell me these leather jackets and butterfly-collared shirts aren't from the 70s
Even Kate in Lost had flared jeans, and the show was from the 2000s
70s nostalgia seemed strong late 90s/early 00s (movies like Boogie Nights too)

nu-disco was also popular in the mid 00's

>nu-disco
Please post a good example

Is this meant to emulate punk rock from the 8às?

Reagan - Trump
war time -pre war time
issues of identity- issues of identity

we're basically in the pre 80s rn, 2018 will top it off
it's always the years with the 8s,the 8s have it, check this 8

Bankrupt millenials were too retarded to come up with their own scene, style, or anything (they're probably the first generation not to), and since it's all new to them, then it counts as new.

>Is this meant to emulate punk rock from the 8às?
Not really, it was it's own thing from around 2001-2005, coterminous with the punk revival spearheaded by bands like the strokes

Late 90s and early 2000s makes more sense (e.g. bullshit pop punk bands).

I find it weird in the middle of the 2000s (like 2006/7/8), that long hair on guys was in. What the fuck inspired that shit?

it didn't
>muh teal and pink aesthetic tho
this is nu-80's trash for millennials who weren't alive in the 80's

t. 15 year old who doesn't know shit about shit

youtube.com/watch?v=jEwsqW1YnRI
youtube.com/watch?v=50BBNZ-ejjU
youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-YTDDyrNI

SO IN 10 YEARS EMO/SCENE GIRLS WILL COME BACK?

BASE D

umm excuse me sweaty I'm actewally 16 kys niggerv

People like the eighties because it was the last decade before everything became ironic. Before the subtle nihilism of being aloof was cool. There was no grunge to deconstruct rock music, no indie boom to deconstruct mainstream popcorn cinema. People embraced fads, had ridiculous hair and crazy fashion. Media was big and dumb, and most importantly, earnest.

In a lot of ways it really was a simpler time, and people wish they could go back to that.

I really don't want there to be 90s nostalgia

List of gay shit from that decade:
>rap metal/rock
>tamagotchis
>curtains hair style
>britpop music (oasis and blur are entry level crap for teenagers just getting into music)
>pokemon
>double denim outfits

nothing wrong with pokemon

Marvel83 is pure 80's. I know, I lived through that decade

youtube.com/watch?v=378_AUPVD1I

They just like the colors, and that's it.

They don't like the music, the movies with tits and people calling each other "fag" everywhere while not having tons of mandatory fags, blacks, etc., the cars, or anything. There was less if no social engineering. And they'd shit themselves and become terrorists if they were to suddenly walk into an 80's mall and see a nativity scene while shit said "merry Christmas" everywhere while people were walking around smoking.

They don't even like the clothes except maybe Katy Perry.

It's just pretty colors in some old artwork, and that's it. Everything else will be treated like a confederate statue that can't get torn down and destroyed fast enough.

Sup Forums pls go

I found it through a random reference to "Outrun" on another site, hadn't seen even Drive. Haven't played Hotline Miami but this is the best track.

youtube.com/watch?v=xAM6mG6BWjw

No niggers, clean white communities, high placement on family values. And since white nationalism is finally resurfacing you get that nostalgia for the good ol days.

My experience was this too, but you have that Lopatine guy experimenting with 80s and 90s commercial samples in his music way back in 2009, which a lot of the people that later popularized the vaporwave genre say was their inspiration.

It should be a crime to have as many great tracks as DwtD

Can't refute? Would you honestly want to return to a time before your "progressive movement" and your stealing control over the very content of society?

Do you romanticize such a time, or just want to copy certain aspects of its art style since millenials are the first generation in a long time that's totally bankrupt, couldn't come up with its own style, and had to steal someone else's?

Answer honestly, please. And I mean real answers and not the usual leftist name-calling and shit-throwing.

Sup Forums pls go

There were plenty of black people around.

However the modern radicalized "blame whitey for everything while ruining civilization for everyone" feral pavement apes were created in the late 80's by record producers such as Jerry Heller and Rick Rubin

>mfw it's actually true
Well at least they tried. 1976-1988 were a golden age in everything cinema to music. But I hope that if this 80s-nostalgia trend settles in they'll come to rediscover and even enjoy the perceived simplicity of these times. You can't war forever. The 80s are relaxed and non politically correct. They'll be relieved when they accept that

80s nostalgia began in 1997 when they started releasing 80s movies like Grosse pointe blank, Romy and michelle, and the Wedding singer, radio stations started having "80s luncheons", some schools started having 80s dances, hair metal and new wave bands had reunions and minor chart hits, etc.

For some reason, it's still fucking going 20 years later, even though most nostalgia fizzles out after a 10 year period.

So you just won't refute and explain the real heart of your fascination with someone else's scene?

This is why you're pathetic. You can never back up anything with any reasonable discussion.

Not him but
>muh scene
I'm a millenial and perfectly emulate the 80s
The earlier part to be precise

Carpenter is goood.

No, you're just bringing up your axe to grind against "leftists" and "progressive politics" for some reason in a conversation where it's entirely irrelevant.

So, I'll say again, Sup Forums pls go. Stop shitting up other boards with your faggotry.

I thought it was a 20 year cycle. Around 2010, sites like Buzzfeed and Reddit exploded with "le 90s kid" memes; not coincidentally, this was exactly 20 years after 1990.

It depends. Maybe the 2010s will change that rule. The 80s shaped the world we live in today, makes sense that there's a permanent nostalgia going on. It's all becoming blurred now. I can't even honestly tell when the 10s began culturally speaking

I think the 10s began in 2008/2009. That's when HDTVs, Obama, iPhones, Autotune music, Facebook, etc. exploded.

So..........polo shirts with popped collars, Journey and TOTO, Star Wars, every movie about high school has tits in it, bad special effects that somehow worked, Pac-man and arcades, the birth of the mallrat, IROC Z-28 camaros, and Atari?

I wouldn't mind a ska comeback.

Considering the fad really hasn't ended since the 1980s, I don't think it is really a fad. Then again you have to know about that culture and that it is always alive and well I guess. The main problem is that it contends with a shit load of other culture "fads".

technology will eventually ruin everything. automation will put everyone out of work. who knows what AI will do.

80s and 90s were great levels of technology. convenient but not overbearing. smartphones and internet sped up the homogenization of world cultures.

For a moment there I thought that was a We Didn't Start the Fire thing you were doing.

Most stuff by Dance With is so fucking good. So glad I found them last year.

Carpenter Brute, Dynatron, Mega Drive and Perturbator are good too. I think they all are synth.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zv1FyQn2kQA

youtube.com/watch?v=du_lTZ3igqQ

youtube.com/watch?v=ts4axsSHlpA

youtube.com/watch?v=QMT6q-tEzsk

youtube.com/watch?v=lNeQ1B5zpOw

Synth is great stuff.