Why the hell was U2 writing songs for literally every movie OST back in the 90s?

>Reality Bites
>Batman Forever
>Showgirls
>In the Name of the Father
>Ghost in the Shell
>Mission Impossible
>Goldeneye (wrote the song Tina Turner sang)
>Miss Sarajevo (Bosnian War documentary)
>Johnny Mnemonic
>Moulin Rouge
>Tomb Raider
>Vanilla Sky
>Gangs of New York
>the score for the Royal Shakespeare Company's 1990 adaptation of A Clockwork Orange
>5 separate Wim Wenders films (4 of which were named after the songs the band wrote for the movies; the last one had the entire soundtrack done by U2 and the script co-written by Bono)

I hate U2 with a passion.

Because they were at the peak of their popularity and hadn't become total shit just yet

>Posting this thread again
>Probably still salty he got the Tina Turner thing wrong
Kek.

U2 were total shit from day 1. Just bland corporate pop.

>>Ghost in the Shell
This still confuses me. This wasn't even popular outside Japan at the time. What made them do this?

>Why the hell was U2 writing songs for literally every movie OST back in the 90s

They weren't.

>What made them do this?

Money.

Nah War is kino

For an anime film? Hard to picture anime company pumping out a bunch of money just to get U2.

>Hard to picture anime company pumping out a bunch of money just to get U2.

And yet it happened.

>What made them do this?

Because U2 were very invested into reinventing themselves as a cool alternative band in the 90s and Ghost In The Shell was a piece of cool alternative media among Western hipsters and culturally clued in weebs.

>Posting this thread again
Same thought.

Is Sup Forums 50% PR+SJW shills now?

That song that they did for the Batman movie fucking rules.

HOLD ME
THRILL ME
KISS ME
KILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Doubt it. Movie bombed. If they paid out the ass for U2 whatever company who was in charge of distribution wold have gone out of business.

You know literally nothing about the budget for that movie. It's just embarrassing.

They had a love of modern Japanese culture and were hugely influenced by cyberpunk at the time.

Heat soundtrack

Blown Away has Tommy Lee Jones listening to U2 while making bombs, because he was playing an ex-IRA mad bomber tormenting Jeff Bridges

Meme band

Can't wait to hear U2's cover of recently deceased superstar David Bowie's "Heroes" on the soundtrack of Warner Bros. Pictures' Justice League, in theaters November 17th!

I miss when anime was still underground and "foreign" instead of it being overrun with niggers and normalfags.

this. U2 has always sucked balls. HELLO HELLO

They took over for Kenny Loggins.

After Reagan left office and Black Monday hit the stock market, '80s consumerism died out. This meant that musicians could sell out and pretend they were being artsy about it.

>he hasn't listened to The Joshua Tree then Achtung Baby and wondered how they pulled it off

U2 bothers me because they have a handful good songs but normies look at them like this classic amazing unrivaled GOAT band.

That's funny, since most Irish people don't actually like U2 because of how far Bono disappeared up his own arse with insufferable self righteousness, especially when it turned out that their money is all offshore and they pay little taxes at home, and the Burmese opposition lady they championed turned out to be cool with committing genocide.

Normies hate them now because of South Park, Bono, and the iTunes thing

>U2 were total shit from day 1. Just bland corporate pop.
Have you heard any of their earlier music? They started out as a post punk band, and were alternative indie darlings until the mid-90s.

Because they're great businessmen despite being a shit band.
They knew there were Hollywood bucks to be made doing soundtracks.

Don't you dare insult Our Lady of Burma you fucking nerd

no shut up

The only band that gets away with using a metronome live cause they call it the edge's delay pedal.

>mfw edge had no reason at all to be in that jack white, jimmy page music doc

It made me realize how underrated jack white is and how overrated edge is

>"see I hit this one chord and hit a pedal and then that chord loops then I hit a note and hit a pedal and that note loops too"