240 Million is good, r-right?

240 Million is good, r-right?

Other urls found in this thread:

the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2016
thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-5048261/Disney-demands-65-ticket-sales-new-Star-Wars-film.html
cinemablend.com/news/1720470/what-disney-wants-from-all-theaters-showing-star-wars-the-last-jedi
the-numbers.com/movie/Blade-Runner-2049/China#tab=box-office
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=bladerunnersequel.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no, not even doubled budget.
movie must earn around 2.5-3x it's budget, to make % take profitable

This

It's a flop

Alcon themselves said it needed $400 million

Thank god

The question is, how do you even spend $150,000,000 on a movie? Where does all that money go?

What about DVD / Blurays and home video market?

marketing, mostly

Yes. That means no more sequels get made and we're stuck with a consistently good film series.

that doesn't make much sense. why would that be the case?

these are yet to go, usually they add +/- 50 mill average (170 for SW, 70-90 mill for capeshit - due to fanbase) in USA
>the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2016
USA/worldwide DVD/BR sales ratio is near 50/50, so double it for the rest of world.
As long as movie wont get 300 mil theatral run, they wont help much, not all DVD/BR $$$ goes to studio, it's split between distributors and shops etc.

That user is exaggerating but depending on the movie it does need to make 1.5-2x its budget mainly due to marketing.

For this, yes. It's not a straight up bomb but also not successful enough to warrant ((them)) to try and push out any sequels. The blu-ray release should coincide with award season, hopefully it gets good sales.

box office = total money collected from tickets sale. this contains % for theatre, producer and other taxes. usually studio get back between 50-30% of that money.
>lets say, You buy $8 worth ticket.
>about $3.5 is what studio earns on You
>another $3 is what theatre gets from You
>remaining $1.5 is for other taxes and shits
of course percentage may vary, it can go to 65% as shown by greedy Dishitney
>thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-5048261/Disney-demands-65-ticket-sales-new-Star-Wars-film.html
which means 65% of money The Last Jedi will earn, goes to studio, the rest gonna go to theater and other taxes

no it doesnt's you idiot

thats just jewspeak

clever accounting tricks to make it look like they didn't profit so they dont pay tax

>but we didnt make 4x the budget

>no profit IRS

>jew.meme

reddit spacing, read
>cinemablend.com/news/1720470/what-disney-wants-from-all-theaters-showing-star-wars-the-last-jedi
Disney demands 65% of money take, so if the movie gets same box office as it's budget, it would be still flop. but it's SW so easly gets 600mil
>if movie costs 200 mil, needs to earn 308 mill, so 65% of it breaks even. anything over 308 is profit then
clever accounting is a thing too, but generally movie must earn enough to make sure % take equals budget, percentage varies between 25%-45%, up to 50% or as shown recently, crazy 65%

coco is already out in mexico?>!?

The studio usually gets about 40-45% of the total gross money back (the rest goes to theaters).

The studio also usually spends about a $100 million on marketing (for a blockbuster).

So, a movie like Blade Runner that cost $150 million needs to gross at least $550 million to be profitable, according to these numbers.

But that's not how it actually works. user misses some other factors:

- Home video sales that can produce $50 million additional profit easily, not to mention other merchandise.

- Various cash rebates for film production in unpopular regions that aren't accounted for in the reported budget.

- Hollywood accounting that usually overestimates the budget (notice how the budget is always a round number).

So a better knowledge of when a movie is profitable comes from the instances of borderline flops getting a green light on a sequel.

"Edge of Tomorrow" grossed $370M on a $178M budget.

"Pacific Rim" grossed $410M on a $190M budget.

Both these movies got a sequel, so it seems like a 2x multiplier is the actual measure of success, rather than a 2.5x or a 3x.

That's fucking shit. Its done 10 mil more than 2016 ghost busters. Somebody is getting fired for this

Cocaine

>Scott "sex crime" Mendleson

Why do you care?

Oh, you want it to make a billion dollars a d guarantee we get loads of epic sequels and spin offs with some dickhead producer saying "we took the fan's criticisms on board - Blade Runner: resistance is gonna' be a blockbuster BLAST!" And force out a shallow ass action film?

No thanks. Br2049 underperforming is a godsend. It won't be touched again for decades, if ever.

uhh..in english doc?

>scott mendelson AGAIN
GET OUT OF MY HEAD

So, the hobbit which had 180 million budget and made 300 million, is a flop too? So they made three shitty films and didnt even make money off it?

>quoth t.basement dwelling movie exec with zero experience and credentials

dumb faggot, stick to what you know, like masturbation to cartoons

Unions

You just went full retard. It made over $300M in the US ALONE, and the over a billion worldwide. All the numbers ITT are for worldwide gross.

Actually I'm glad it flopped. It won't get milked.

simple math, school level
X=example movie budget
Y=example movie boxoffice result
How big must be Y if X for:
a) Y>30% of X, where X=135m
b) Y>45% of X, where X=160m
c) Y>55% of X, where X=185m

uhhh doc, i think we might have a problem

I think Bladerunner will be likely to have a better DVD market than average films since it'll have more of a long lasting following than your average Capeshit of the month

ye sorry wrong, should be
Find Y for:
a) 30% of Y>X, where X=135m
b) 45% of Y>X, where X=160m
c) 55% of Y>X, where X=185m
I'm tired now, my bad. Now is right

>Coco Soars in Mexico
Mexicans actually went to see that pandering shit? That would be like me going to see a movie about a fat guy shitposting on Sup Forums all day.

>a movie about a fat guy shitposting on Sup Forums all day.
KINO! "Sup Forums: The Movie"
now suggest director and cast Anons

no, but it hasn't opened in China, which is the 2nd largest movie market, and is set to be number one in a decade or so.

Unfortunately a lot of movies profits rest with China.

I'm kinda glad it won't get a sequel

I really loved the movie and... let's just leave that universe alone, i don't want 10 pointless sequels

china is done user
>the-numbers.com/movie/Blade-Runner-2049/China#tab=box-office
>boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=bladerunnersequel.htm
7.5 mil, where every shit does 50 mil+
japan too, 2.7 only, very very bad

That's so weird. Why didn't it do well in China? I thought they would eat that cyberpunk stuff up.

probably too slow action and depressive feeling for them. they have own "cyberpunk" just outside

They already live in cyberpunk

So wait, was Ryan Gosling a robot or what?

ya the sequel they have set up is completely out of step with the tone of the series, like star wars lvl shit

Embezzlement.

>Both these movies got a sequel, so it seems like a 2x multiplier is the actual measure of success
This.

But also Hollywood studios own the VFX, talent agencies and marketing companies they hire so they can funnel the budget (paid by Arabs or chink funds) to their own pockets. They charge themselves 60 million for CGI backgrounds or a CGI Hulk or whatever, they pay themselves with the budget's money and then they leave those cucks with whatever the movie makes in theaters. It's all a scam, OP. Sony literally makes money from product placement and financial scamming, literally everything Paramount has touched this year has flopped, and they are still going strong

only normies

Blade Runner finances are odd.

Sony will lose millions, WB made profit, Alcon will break even after TV sales.

It looks pretty fucking expensive. Not your typical Disney shit

>Sony will lose millions
Feels good man.

That's typical Hollywood accounting fraud.

I'd think they'd have to earn at least double when factoring in marketing costs and that they only take about 60% of ticket sales

why use this as your profile pic?? especially if you write for a """"serious"""" publication like Forbes??? seems more like an eCeleb pic for their youtube page

Don't they claim that the Harry Potter movies lost money?

Yes. They even say Titanic didn't make a profit to jew Cameron out of his percentage.

John C Reilly
PTA

How come Jack Nicholson made $60 million from profit participation for Batman? Did things change in the 90s, or do the studios play ball with certain people?

Two plus two is four, minus one that's three, quick maths

ignore this one, it was wrong, user stated it

I hope it gets continued in some way ala tron uprising

in 30 years