Please help me find some more good South Korean movies, Sup Forums (Also general Korea discussion)

I've grown a special love for movies from South Korea this past year and I'm looking for some good ones I'm missing. I've been through lots of action/crime/thriller ones but not nearly as many dramas/anything else, except one horror (The Wailing). Here's a list of a couple I've seen:

Pic Related
Joint Security Area
The Handmaiden
Confession of Murder
I Saw the Devil
A Bittersweet Life
The Chaser
The Man From Nowhere (Have the makers of the John Wick ever said anything about this being an influence on their movie?)
New World
The Host

I'm mostly listing these specifically since I always see people tend to rec the same few movies every time people talk about Korean cinema. I was hoping we could discuss and share movies that aren't the better-known ones I listed above. Any contribution is appreciated, whether it's a rec or just taking about their movies in general.
Also, do you think, at least this century, that Koreans are straight better at crime/action/thrillers than the U.S.? At the very least they seem much more willing to go R-Rated (or whatever the Koren equivalent might be)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uX8Ez500P9w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

try google OP!

Good question OP. I haven't seen most of the movies you have posted, thanks!

Must see is the vengeance trilogy, pic related. Most people have seen Oldboy but the others are great too, I especially liked the first one a lot.

Also, The Host is a decent monster movie.

Youve already posted the best ones. Taegukgi is pretty good. Like JSA.

Good list my fav one is The Chaser by far.
gonna get the ones i havent watched yet:
>The handmaiden
>Confession of Murder
>The Man From Nowhere

I'd recommend seeing Madeo

The Front Line (Go-ji-jeon) is a dope Korean War movie.

I really liked Eungyo (A Muse). You know when you really like a actress that you actually don't want to see them naked?

weeb

I like to call it Korino, personally.

thumbnail looks likes the two normal-sized gooks are watching, amazed, as the tiny gook is bending over for a poo

kek

korino, i dig it

This is great. I enjoyed it but still looked it up to find out more about it. The biblical references are interesting.

And I dont think the John Wick producers used The man from nowhere as inspiration desu,if you see their background they made things like the matrix who has a clear old school John Woo like The Killer or Hard Boiled influence

I hope some of you korean kino connoisseurs can tell me the name of a movie that I've really enjoyed.
I watched it about 5 months ago on a korean air flight (the movie seemed fairly recent) and it was about a single father who had to get married/get a gf (dont remember exactly) to be able to send his daughter to school and eventually he tried paying a girl from some shady bar/club to be the mother in law. The father seemed a little retarded if that helps.
Thanks in advance.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

>Must see is the vengeance trilogy
This. Start with this.

great list OP

here are some of my recs:

A Company Man
A Hard Day
Cold Eyes
Deep Trap
Haunters
Hide and Seek (2013)
Hindsight
Luck-Key
Monster (2014)
Mother

There's a handful of good flicks from SK but you're better off just looking to Japan if you want a large catalog of pure kino

Thirst

most of the ones i know have been mentioned but Thirst is another good one.

couple I can think of that are not action/thrillers
>Castaway on the Moon (2009)
A man gets stranded on an island in the middle of Seoul
This one is comfy af. It used to be on netflix, I'm not sure it's still on it.
>Secret Sunshine (2007)
A woman's son gets kidnapped
This made me depressed. Everything this director makes are solid, so check out others if you like this movie.
>Breathless (2009)
A man's whole life is fucked
really truly fucked

action/thrillers not mentioned
>Veteran (2015)
>A Hard Day (2015)
>Assassination (2015)

Also Every Frame a Painting did some videos about Bong's movies, they were nice.

this. don't understand why teevee and reddit gravitate more towards korea. it must be all the genre shit.

Found it
youtube.com/watch?v=uX8Ez500P9w

I challenge ANYONE (annie wun) to watch this and come out of it unbroken

>Please help me find some more good South Korean movies
I have over 230 in my account. Tell me what you like

>Secret Sunshine (2007)
>Breathless (2009)
This guy knows his kino. All of Lee Chang-Dong and Kim Ki-Duk's films are essential Korean kino kore. Not exactly the kind of films that get discussed on Sup Forums though.

Also i know its not korean but you shouldnt limit yourself when it comes to asian kino

Also we've had really good asian film threads the past few days i think we should have a weekly general or something

Also just watched pic related last night, it was a good time

also watched it yesterday. Agree it was decent although the mixed to much genres. Also the Nikita scene was too much

Based user

Why is it almost always the same 10 movies?

its called the classic

Was I Saw the Devil his last vengeance film? I'd recommend it as well.

The Vengeance trilogy consists of
Oldboy
Mr. Vengeance
Lady Vengeance

The Korean film industry is relatively new and the only decent thing they output is edgy revenge thrillers

More like the fact you guys are edgy hipster. If you wanted to talk classic you would talk about Attack the Gas station or Friends. It's not hard to pick out the theme in this threads.

Nevermind I'm retarded, thought it was a Park Chan Wook film.

Nameless Gangster, a movie about the Korean mob in the 80s
The Good the Bad The Weird, a Korean western set in Manchuria in the 30s-40s

this is me. A can talk about Attack the Gas station. Its a trash

Going By The Book

This one cop follows the rules to the tee. It starts off with him ticketing his captain and then the captain decides to put him in charge of a mock bank robbery. The bank robbery is supposed to be a PR exercise, but the cop does the best job he can, as always. Black Comedy.

>The Korean film industry is relatively new
Nope
>only decent thing they output is edgy revenge thrillers

I disagree. DESU I understand why this board who is mainly male only watched these types of films, but you are missing out on so much.

>A can talk

Who the fuck is A? Also, you are wrong. You probably didn't enjoy because no one got raped or killed at the end.

It was a generic 90s gangsta comedy. A trash nowadays. Deal with it

>It was a generic 90s gangsta comedy

Expect there was nothing like it. So how was it generic?

how it wasnt?

Thirst is underrated

Show me any other movie with the same plot or plot devises.

Two Korean movies I can think of that don't get mentioned THAT often:
The Coast Guard by Kim Ki-duk. Really enjoyed watching the descent into madness of the main character.
Oasis by Lee Chang-dong. Amazing performance by the two lead actors.

yeah this was great.

>could of shot the protagonist when he was killing underlings
>saves the little girl
>gets savagely stabbed to death after engaging in a fair duel

I havent watch many of south korean movies, just few. I liked Castaway on moon and that is not on list so you can try it...

i dont know. maybe fucking everything from fucking Guy Ritchie

Minah was in a movie? I never knew

How often would you expect Kim Ki-Duk to be discussed on a board obsessed with superhero movies and complaining about interracial romance in kids shows?

>everything from fucking Guy Ritchie

So you haven't actually seen attack the gas station, have you?

She isn't the main character or anything.

pic related is one of the greatest south-korean films, and also one of the most overlooked

Rough Cut is a good crime drama.
Age of Shadows with based Song Kang-ho was surprisingly good.
Secret Reuion, a nice action comedy.
Cruel Winter Blues, Man From Nowhere director first movie. The ending man, it just hits you hard
No Tears for the Dead, third film from the same guy. Nowhere near as good as his first two, but has some nice operator action scenes.

This movie is fucking great.

Any japanese recs?

Audition.

Rise Up

Anyone seen this one? Watched it twice and still don't get what the fuck the movie was supposed to be about.

Are the japs only good at making horrors?

>so close to want but forbidden to love

Yeah this dude my favorite part of the movie. I love it when the villain is just looking for a bad ass fight to go out with. Sword of the Stranger villain is the same way, that final fight is amazing too.

The ending to this one is crazy.

She's underage and the she is the main character's sister in law. She is in love with here sister's husband.

>don't understand why teevee and reddit gravitate more towards korea
because japan has been producing mostly pure shit for the last ~20 years (with notable exceptions, but nevertheless mostly shit). on the other hand, this same period was basically the golden age of korean cinema, especially the 00s.

The middle guy in your pic is a great actor. His face is very distinct as well.

Oldboy?

Check out "Mother".

>has anyone ever been as far as so close to want but forbidden to love accidentally the whole thing?
Was someone getting the word "desire" from an under-detailed dictionary?

Veteran

I kind of wish I hadn't gone into viewing this cold. Left me depressed for the rest of the weekend.

This was beautiful.

1/?

2/?

The Yellow Sea

That's about it. Korean cinema nowadays I feel is full of generic stuff and you might want to check out actors but mostly directors and films submitted to international festivals.

Check Jun Jihyun, Hong Sangsoo and Kim Kiduk since most of their work is worth watching.

pic related is a list with some edgy stuff

Stop watching Korean flicks

I liked breathless so much I had to translate the subtitles to my native language. It was directed, written and fronted by yang ikjune.

my favorite korean movie next to mom.

Tell Hollywood to make good shit again first

it's a fantastic film but I never want to fucking watch it ever again

What's with South Korea and depressing movies? I think they need him.

Guns and Talks was super comfy. Great blend of action and comedy.

Castaway on the Moon is an absolutely wonderful film.

Memories of Murder was such garbage
>kungfu kicking your suspects during interrogation
Do chinks really do this?

Why is Sunflower not on that list, this rustles my jimmies.

Arms too long.
2/10
would not band

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird is fun

Why did his films turn to shit with Snowpiercer?