How come western animation never puts as much emphasis on Opening/ending themes as nip cartoons?

How come western animation never puts as much emphasis on Opening/ending themes as nip cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sAkL2-vh2Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=Qq6HAVi4LuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LVOy6xjfA-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=d3o_WBboezw
youtube.com/watch?v=hJs4e2lbMmA
youtube.com/watch?v=2djx83-4XNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=N025CbAIAt8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to take that question mark and put it in her pussy.

Because nowadays they're super short to make room for more ads, and OPs/EDs for anime are done by legit pop stars and are sold on CDs and other streaming services to make up for it and also promote the material.

Wanted to say pretty much this.

Thank god they don't. I skip even 15 second intros most of the time.

because in western all is about money; using a cool song from a famous band can cost more than the animation itself, the only way would be using indie songs from literally who bands

It isn't heavily involved with idol shit and record companies so they have no reason to shill it.
Same reason there are no insert songs or chara songs -but you surely already know this.
Sasuga Triggernigger. Another great shitpost

thread

you would think that cutting out opening and endings would give us more time for actual episodes but nope that time is given to ads instead

I don't know when the trend started exactly because they still had reasonable openings when I was a kid, you don't even need to do things as amazing or poppy as anime openings, like the opening to Dexter's Lab was great and that was just instrumental

There are still some hold outs like Steven Universe but generally shows don't get an opening and if they do its pretty darn short

Don't a lot of singers also double as voice actors/seiyu and that also contributes to what singles get used as OP/EDs?

youtube.com/watch?v=sAkL2-vh2Sk

they used to.

they did it since 60's Hanna barbera
as a marketing move showing their show with a decent animation hidden the shitty quality the actual episodes had

youtube.com/watch?v=Qq6HAVi4LuQ

TOE took them form they

i'd rather have ops/eds done by pop stars instead of shitty ads

Because long openings takes time away from commercials.

>and OPs/EDs for anime are done by legit pop stars and are sold on CDs and other streaming services to make up for it and also promote the material.

And the main reason why they don't do this in the states is any singer, pop star, whatever they bring in would want the rights to the music.

Most western cartoons are already 11 minutes long. You put some 2 minute long theme songs in at the beginning and end and the show is basically over

Because that means less time for ads

Show in OP's pic is 8 minutes long. 5-6 minutes after you subtract the OP and ED.

yeah and that works fine for watching imaishi jerk off into his own mouth but not for a cartoon

>when a cartoon puts all its effort into the opening theme but none into the actual cartoon

youtube.com/watch?v=LVOy6xjfA-Y

Gotta fit in as many commercials as possible.

Do American channels just have more commercials or something?

Simple solution: make the cast perform the opening. Anime often does it too. Sell it on iTunes or something for extra profit.

Compared to Japan, yes

Because the opeing/ending themes to some anime is used to cover up how short the episode is. Any anime based off of an ongoing manga, is going to pad the heck out of its opening in hopes that they don't overtake it.

You make the most compelling point in the thread thus far.

>they still had reasonable openings when I was a kid
Life is like a hurricane

>Blue streak!
>Speeds by

I heard that Japan has a tv show that talks about their commercials since they have so little of them.

>mfw saw the Cowboy Bebop ed for the first time ever yesterday
It never occured to me that there was one. I'm not sure Toonami ever bothered airing it.

Because America doesn't use them as commercials like Japan does.

>Any anime based off of an ongoing manga, is going to pad the heck out of its opening in hopes that they don't overtake it.
No, anime studios can pad adaptations as much as they need to without the help of OPs and EDs, don't worry.

Oh yeah. Some show are even sped up just to squeeze a few more minutes out.

Western television in general basically doesn't play theme songs anymore and people skip them while binging too.

youtube.com/watch?v=d3o_WBboezw

I miss openings

CHALK CHALK CHALK CHALK
Rudy's Got The Chalk

>he didn't post the intro
youtube.com/watch?v=hJs4e2lbMmA
>that guitar though

youtube.com/watch?v=2djx83-4XNQ

>not ghosts
>just from another dimension

Fucking hack

They definitely aired it on the first run. I remember The Real Folk blues after every episode. And then during the final episode. I love how they did that, and named that version after the the catchphrase at the end of each episode. That show had some style.

You're talking about the first AS run

this show was not great but that is an effective opening, well timed and gives a good intro to the main characters without being heavy handed

but every song sung in jap language sounds vomit and shit, i actually hate this language when i use this language.
English sounds a lot better and beautiful and elegant, no wonder we japanese prefer Let It Go to jap anison.

Fuck, that song is unironically awesome. That and I associate it with my dad singing it in a lighthearted way to amuse me

>tfw can't remember shit about old school afternoon Toonami

We have to put up with commercials, so most modern shows keep the openings/credits short to make up a little bit of the difference.

This really.
No one gives a fuck about opening/endings but weebs really.
If the song is nice, you can listen to it on youtube or whatever. You don't need animation behind it.
And once you saw it a couple times, there's literally no reasons to watch it again, and it becomes part of the ads coming before/after the show.

Fair point, but you miss out on
>evolving credits
>symbolism and foreshadowing I'm credits
>that finale where the op or ending song plays over the climactic scene

None of which are really necessary but I'd be lying if I didn't enjoy them.

youtube.com/watch?v=N025CbAIAt8

Americans have more commercials compared to everyone else.

When I think about it I'd rather they go full out or just not have them at all.

Name a single memorable anime OP besides like Cowboy Bebop or something

You can't

Now everyone remembers Teen Titans, Justice League, Batman TAS, Samurai Jack, Transformers, Darkwing Duck, MIB Animated Series, Batman Beyond, and Duck Tales.

Helluva lot more people remember the western opening for Pokemon more than the eastern opening.

Anything to fit in 30 more seconds of ad space .

WE

You can't tell me that you can escape that goddamn attack on titan theme, user

The AoT theme was a slight meme for like a year or so. People can like kinda hum it now, but they sure as hell don't even remember what the actual scenes look like or recite the whole thing

You can not know english and belch out the entire Pokemon or Duck Tales opening theme song

>legit pop stars

lol

/thread

I don't see a reason why should they put as much emphasis on them. I skip them everytime after seeing them once, the actual content is more interesting than the mandatory sequence played to inform viewers that their show is about to begin. Show openings are about as important as the studio logos in the intro of video games/movies.

>anyone read credits, ever
Yeah, sure.
The only way/reason I read credits in anything is either that I recognize a voice actor or something and want confirmation, or to get an idea if an episode will be good/shit depending on the writer/storyboarder.
>song plays in the episodes
Yes, but that has nothing to do with the opening/ending being fully featured songs like the japaneses'.
And I agree that it CAN be great, see SU for example.
But the ending is still a 20 second long melody, and then it becomes a 'song' in said episodes.

I've been out of the weeb loop for a long while, but I can't remember an opening/ending song/melody being played in an episode to emphasize with whatever is happening.
And then again, right now, anime is a cancerous industry revolving around money, and the music industry brings the shekels. They're not meant to be anything else but that, and that's sad.

>Name a single memorable anime OP besides like Cowboy Bebop or something

That's not the reason, dimwit.
You weren't watching those animus when you were a fucking kid, and you weren't watching them on PC, meaning you couldn't simply pass the openings.
And also, japanese openings lasts for one to three minutes. You don't see that in western cartoons, they generally don't even pass the 30seconds mark.
That and the language. If you can't speak japanese, your brain won't pick it up as easily as an english opening.
I can remember Hellsing's ending just as much as I can remember anything from the west, because it was in english.

>Justice League
>Batman TAS
>MIB Animated series
I'm sure you liked those a lot, I did but there's little I can remember to the tune of them.

Also you're retarded, you didn't even say Dragon Ball Z

>Name a single memorable anime OP

Cowboy Bebop and Pokemon

While this explains modern anime, there was still more emphasis on opening and ending themes in anime before idol shit and selling opening/ending theme CDs was really a thing, so I'm not ready to say /thread yet.

Hell yes. Most countries put a commercial break between shows and maybe one at the halfway point.

America has one before the show, one after the opening, one at the 10 minute mark, one at the 20 minute mark, one after the show, one at the 40 minute mark for "hour long" shows. Each break can be up to five minutes long.