Was this good casting? Who would you had cast instead?

Was this good casting? Who would you had cast instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9okyMyFD4
youtu.be/FJf8puSIXTg?t=39
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It was perfect casting.

Will Smith

Andy Dick

Literally nobody else. He was perfect. I remember Doug Walker complaining about him, saying that he was believable as the ranger, but not as the king, and that he preferred Jon Hurt, but Doug Walker is full of shit.

>"I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you, I will not let the white city fall, nor our people fail."

Manly chills.

Best casting possible. Mads could probably pull the part off as well, but not that well.

The movies had some pretty bad casting though. Liv Tyler as Arwen? Fuck no. Orlando Bloom and Hugo Weaving weren't as bad but could be way better. And Sean Bean played a perfect Boromir but it's kind of a shame he's such a short lived character

based

Maybe someone that could actually act in english or that looked the part.
Not some no muscle random guy with terrible teeth.
Boromir's actor would have been better

Idris

I'm probably too biased since my love for the LOTR film trilogy is borderline sexual.

But how can anyone prefer native american looking Aragorn in a mini-skirt?

Yeah, all the elves were pretty horribly miscast. None of the actors possessed the ethereal quality necessary to pull off the role. I don't think anyone could have redeemed Arwen though; the character's importance was inflated simply to pad out the female cast, which is stupid because Eowyn would have been the more logical choice for an expanded role. Since, you know, she actually does shit.

>white city
problematic desu

Viggo as Aragon
Ian as Gandalf
Hugh as Wolverine
RDJ as Iron Man

all perfect casting

That first X-Men movie was really well casted in general, everyone really looked like their character. I miss those days.

I can't actually recast any of the elves (not even bloom and tyler) when I try the thought exercise.

orlando bloom may not be a very good actor but when it comes to his looks he was a solid elf casting choice

Blanchett too, better than the others at least.

I spent 3:20 hours out of my life a couple months ago and watched LOTR 1. I had seen it again once when it came out but I didn't remember anything.
There was no takeaway unless I missed it: They were all walking somewhere, scenery shots, ork ambush, fight, win, regroup, repeat.
Give me one reason to have a good opinion on the movie's writing (no problem with the casting, cinematography and score btw) and give me one reason to waste another 7-7.5 hours to rewatch 2 and 3 too

It is simply impossible to miscast Hugo weaving. One of the most talented actors to have graced the screen. Absolutely incredible range.
>Hacksaw ridge
>The matrix
>Priscilla
>Lotr

Incredible production design and set pieces

yeah, I agree, but what about the plot? is there a reason the total runtime is around 11 hours?

Move ring from a to b
That's it

>There was no takeaway unless I missed it
Yeah because you stopped watching 1/3 through

I think you'll enjoy the new Thor Ragnarok!

It's an adventure movie. Of course they're doing things. I don't understand your complaint.

I didn't, I watched the extended cut from start to finish
I was hoping it was something more for all the hype my friends and Sup Forums has
epic meme, friend! Have a (You)vote!
let me put it this way, is there something that differentiates the movie from the average 80's action flick besides having a medieval theme and less "the hero gets the girl" moments?

50 Cent

On another note, I'm convinced Akira Kurosawa is the only man who could've directed a genuinely good film adaptation of Lord of the Rings

Embarrassing, sudoku asap

They should've cast a bunch of autistic Finns as elves if I'm being terribly honest with all of you

You still haven't structured an argument on what makes the LotR flicks watchable in terms of writing

A negro speaking ebonics.

What if he made a Japanese-reread of LOTR like he did to Shakespeare in Throne of Blood? Would've been kino too.

Pretty much.

>I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you
Remind me again, was Aragorn supposed to be full-powerlevel Numenorian, or was his bloodline weakened over the centuries, but was the closest to an heir there was?

He was the strongest of the age, but his bloodline had indeed weakened

The closest thing they had in that his ancestor waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back was king of Arnor.

>of the age
Of the time I meant

He was shit. Book aragorn was an alpha not some fag who just submits to everyone he meets.

this

>I didn't, I watched the extended cut from start to finish
No, you just said you only watched part 1.

> he was believable as the ranger, but not as the king

That's how I've always felt about Aragorn too.

FPBP

Filmfags need to die

Daniel Day Lewis or Val Kilmer.

Viggo was excellent though of course.

i think the reason why he might not have been believable as the king in the lotr films is because they changed his character a bit. iirc he's reluctant to be king in the films but in the books he's all about that shit.

the bloodline was weakened, i believe. his father is supposed to have been like 7' while one of his grandfathers was like 7'9" or something ridiculous. but aragorn was king manlet at a pitiful 6'6"

No it's the way he carries himself. He acts very submissive body language wise

Fuck, how tall were the first Numenorians?

You should check out Rick and Morty instead.

I watched the first film and asked for reasons to watch the next two. All those posts and nobody gave a reason. Do you have one?

It's amazing how the alt-right hero is actually a guy with a polluted bloodline

Galadriel was perfect. Legoman was shit

The score. Theoden. His slutty blonde thot daughter.

Real friendship, real hardship, real risk, real success. If you're comparing lotr to 80s action, you might be actually retarded.

Chris Pratt

Danny Devito

I explicitly said "writing related reasons, not the score or the cinematography"
>real friendship
Oh come on the whole plot point of Frodo trusting the gollum instead of Sam was retarded as fuck

>Real friendship
meme elf and meme dwarf quips. Legolas and Frodo never talk to each other.

Because your evaluation is flawed and you did miss the point. Also, the final 2 movies give more weight and meaning to the first movie. Your reason for continuing the series is to put the first movie in context. That's how trilogies work

The alt-reddit devotion to this trilogy is so cringey. Literally like 13yo Star Trek nerds

fuck you Hugo Weaving was great

Hugo Weaving played a good elf as his age is hard to discern, which I imagine is how elves look. Liv Tyler too, but I didn't think she was a good Arwen. Legolas is even more ridiculous in the books apart from the elephants and shield surfing, so I don't see the big deal and Orlando Bloom did a decent job

>needing to talk to your friends
Nice estrogen levels LEL

Lotr is perfect, the casting choices are perfect everyone just werks.r

The shield surfing was epic and you all thought so on first viewing. Stop being so insecure about what entertains you

>I watched the first film and asked for reasons to watch the next two.
It's a single narrative. Not a trilogy of standalone films.
>All those posts and nobody gave a reason. Do you have one?
It's the best visualization of fantasy archetypes ever created. If the writing feels clichéd, that's because Tolkien invented most of it and was ripped off many times in the last 70 years.

First good and on-topic reply itt, thanks.

I actually agree with Doug. Thiugh i love Vigo and I think he was a very good Aragorn he was not as believable a king as he was a ranger.

Which part?
Because of the kinship ringbearers have?
Because Frodo naively believes Smeagol wants to be free of the rings influence as much as he?
Because he thinks the ring is pulling Sam the same way it pulled Boromir?

Elendil was 8' but even among Numenoreans he was known as the Tall

it's not exactly true to the book - Aragorn is supposed to be dodgy looking, skinny and scruffy. Viggo looks like a Chad from day one. But it turned out amazing anyways

Yes but that's because my first viewing was when I was 8 years old

>Aragorn is supposed to be dodgy looking, skinny and scruffy.

yeah, no

in fact the book Aragorn is far more majestic and aware of his own might than the movie one

>yeah, no
he's LITERALLY described like a bum in the Prancing Pony. In fact Frodo says that he trusts him because Sauron wouldn't send a heroin addict to try and gain his trust

He's described as looking somewhat like a homeless person upon his first appearance in the book

>Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel -stained cloak of heavy dark-
green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits.

>Frodo found that Strider was now looking at him, as if he had heard or guessed all that had been said. Presently, with a wave of his hand and a nod, he invited Frodo to come over and sit by him. As Frodo drew near be threw back his hood, showing a shaggy head of dark hair necked with grey, and in a pale stem face a pair of keen grey eyes.

yeah, literally a homeless junkie

he does look like that in the movie, just a very handsome one

Honestly Id have just cast Sean Bean twice he would have done the job just fine.

for one thing, being a Ranger he's literally homeless (spends most of his time Bear Grilling it in the wild) and for another - you just quoted him being described as weather-beaten and with muddy shoes and a dirty cloak Don't know what more I can do for you

From how he's described in the books, I don't think anyone in existence would be able to faithfully portray him.

I think Viggo was great.

he does this purposefully to hide his chad Numernorian heritage and kingliness, afterwards in the books he's described very regally

of course, I was referring to his original appearance

yeah but the argument you jumped in on (or were originally part of?) was trying to save Aragorn looked scruff and dodgy, not just in his first case, the oppostie is true, Aragorn is AlphaChad.

Only problem I have with the films is the world doesn't really feel like a living, breathing world. Everything that's not Gondor or Rohan is just an old ruin

>weather-beaten and dirty but wearing well made stuff and his eyes are described positively twice

i don't know how many homeless bums you know but their eyes are generally pretty empty

aragorn is described as your typical ranger... hardly a "heroin addict"

I always had the impression Middle-Earth was next to deserted at that point. Humans are in a sorry state, dwarves are few at the best of times, elves have mostly left.

Because middle earth was coming to its end. All the elves were leaving

The Shire, Bree, Rivendell, Moria, Lothlorien, Isengard

some of the many places we see, Sam and Frodo don't encounter much civilisation because they're trying to avoid it and the land they're slowly enroaching on is against all other civilisations

And you would be correct. At this point in middle Earth history, magical creatures are dwindling and what little there is to be preserved are kept afloat in elven sanctuaries by the rings they possess. The age of men is usured in by saurons fall.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9okyMyFD4
Imagine this in it's glory days

must've been like seeing Ironforge for the first time

>Gondor

heh, I always thought movie Gondor looked the most deserted as the only landmarks shown are Osgiliath (a ruin) and Minas Tirith surrounded by dead, brown wasteland

in reality most of Gondor's population lived to the west along the coast and also in the fertile valleys of the seven rivers that flowed into Anduin

If I was born in Gondor I'd do anything possible to learn Sindar and become an ambassador to Lorien/Rivendell just so I'd have the chance to touch an Elven girl's feet

The Middle-Earth at that point wasn't a medieval world. It was near post-apocalyptic.

How?

youtu.be/FJf8puSIXTg?t=39

>that actual dagger deflection

the casting was perfect. viggo is as kino as it gets and really loved the role. the only criticism is his voice during the speech, but if we're going to criticize every difference from the books, there are way bigger issues to be had with the films.

Because magic is dying, elves are leaving and men are getting fucked over by orcs.

Bloom was a miscast

agreed. I'd have had Ron Perlman or Mickey Rourke