How did everything go so right?

How did everything go so right?

How could people back then be so pleb as to not understand that they were watching absolute kino the likes of which will never be known again?

happens a lot. shitload now liked movies were fucking hated at release time

>Writing for The New York Times, noted movie critic Vincent Canby described the movie as "foolish, depressing" with its actors "used merely as props to be hacked, slashed, disembowelled and decapitated, finally to be eaten and then regurgitated [...] it is too phony to be disgusting. It qualifies only as instant junk."

>Time magazine dismissed The Thing as "an exercise in abstract art," while Roger Ebert, in a slightly less aggressive review, described it as "a great barf-bag movie", but maintained that, "the men are just setups for an attack by The Thing."

>Even reviewers outside the mainstream were hostile towards The Thing. The magazine Cinefantastique ran a cover which asked, "Is this the most hated movie of all time?"

>In science fiction magazine Starlog, critic Alan Spencer wrote, "John Carpenter's The Thing smells, and smells pretty bad. It has no pace, sloppy continuity, zero humor, bland characters on top of being totally devoid of either warmth or humanity [...] It's my contention that John Carpenter was never meant to direct a science-fiction horror movie. Here's some things he'd be better suited to direct: traffic accidents, train wrecks and public floggings."

Just watched it yesterday for the first time. It was pretty kino, much better than Halloween (which was alright but very overrated)

When you make something good, people notice. Then when you make something bad, people also notice. Then when you churn out mediocrity for years, people notice that too.

It's almost as if people have some sort of awareness beyond mindless consumerism.

>zero humor
>totally devoid of either warmth or humanity
thats what makes is great. cold, emotionless and deadly serious

What did he mean by this?

The miasma at the time; the state of people's instinctive hyper awareness or lack thereof that would have been at the time under an ocean of all that came before. Both you and I are under our own ocean but our awareness has elements and happenstances that were theirs and the eventual happenstances that occurred since then. Back to the Future, Blade Runner and others surmised that by 2015 there'd be this much advancements or we'd be thus far but who could have predicted 911? At the time there wasn't a superb hyper self awareness that's pessimistic that categorizes all of us, so people frowned on such a depressive film.

That's really just people trying to find ways to say they didn't like it that don't revolve around the gross body-horror.

I don't get it either, but i think it wasn't going for the big audience anyway. It's clearly not the "entertainment/pop corn" kind of horror movie, you don't really bring your gf to see that hoping she'll blow you during or after...
At the same time, "E.T." came out and everyone was buying the idea that aliens could be cute and we should communicate with them.
They were not ready for a psychological existential horror film.
Would it work better if it came out right now? I don't know...

>I take every failure hard. The one I took the hardest was The Thing. My career would have been different if that had been a big hit...The movie was hated. Even by science-fiction fans. They thought that I had betrayed some kind of trust, and the piling on was insane. Even the original movie's director, Christian Nyby, was dissing me.
Damn, that sucks.

sorry pal, this sci-fi horror just doesn't cut it in the quip department. into the trash it goes

It was a depressing movie. Normies want badass music, funny quips, and a happy ending.

>much better than Halloween

you don't fucking say

Because of a Jew

>much better than Halloween
Even my grandma is much better than Halloween

E.T. happened
basically people needed a feel good movie after coming out of the depressing 70's and weren't ready for Survival Horror kino that was The Thing

>loses chess computer game
>dumps whiskey into computer most likely destroying it
>calls the computer a bitch for good measure

how is Kurt Russel so based?

Halloween sucks
I respect it for being basically the grandpa of slashers and giving birth to all the tropes, but it hasn't aged well at all and it's pretty dull and boring. It's just one of those movies that were ground breaking at the time but seeing it today, you just don't really care about it that much
Soundtrack's great though

He was done with the world's shit.

Funny because most of Carpenter's other films have aged great too. It was a film that had to be made I guess but compared most of his other stuff it's pretty mediocre.

>It's my contention that John Carpenter was never meant to direct a science-fiction horror movie. Here's some things he'd be better suited to direct: traffic accidents, train wrecks and public floggings."

Man thats a fantastic line

>releasing it at the same time as the movie that became literally the biggest box office of all time and made princess Diana cry while watching it

Is just that everybody hyped Halloween up and I was so excited, but i was mostly bored throughout the whole movie. I think most of the horror is supposed to come from the mystery of Michael Myers, but I already knew so much about him before I watched it.

The big appeal of the film, at least in 1977, was that it took horror movies away from the gothic 19th century set Hammer horror, chic european giallo, and the backwoods monster movie and put it in suburbia with the audience. The "it could happen to you" element really resonates with some. I'm gonna 5th that it hasn't aged well, and that groundbreaking setting doesn't carry the movie anymore.

I can see that. At least it had some cool shots like the part where his mask comes out of the darkness

To be fair, they were just drafting off the huge response from the peck and manson stories.

The movie didn't have a "hero" persona. Macready was the definitely main character, but he was very unstable and unsure of himself. I think people st the time we're looking for an action hero type that would stand up to the aliens and whoop their ass. Instead what they got was a kino chess match between an alcoholic suffering from insomnia and a faceless alien.

yeah
You just can't really compare it with They Live, Big Trouble in Little China, Escape from New York.
The other's are just too much fun and campy and Halloween is not serious enough to be considered an equal to The Thing.
Also no Kurt Russell

Only scene I remember was the long tracking shot at the opening scene, which was pretty good and when the Chad and Stacy got btfo in the house.
Tbh, the stupid bad kid actors kinda ruined it for me

Well that's just the thing, isn't it?

>>In science fiction magazine Starlog, critic Alan Spencer wrote, "John Carpenter's The Thing smells, and smells pretty bad. It has no pace, sloppy continuity, zero humor, bland characters on top of being totally devoid of either warmth or humanity [...] It's my contention that John Carpenter was never meant to direct a science-fiction horror movie. Here's some things he'd be better suited to direct: traffic accidents, train wrecks and public floggings."
hey, now i hate kikes just as much as the next guy, but you gotta admit this was some god-tier banter criticism.

plebs

plebs never change.

>I respect it for being basically the grandpa of slashers and giving birth to all the tropes

Psycho and Black Christmas both did it earlier and better than Shitoween.

I'm planning on experiencing this kino for the first time on glorious bluray but I'm in a bit of a dilemma
I've heard that the new collector's edition bluray looks like shit as compared to the older bluray by universal studios released in 2008. But I've also heard inverse of that too, that the new bluray is better than the old one
Can someone please tell me which bluray should I get?