/lbg/

Letterboxd thread: post profiles and discuss what you have recently watched

QOTD: Recommend a lesser known film from the year that corresponds to the last two digits of this OP

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/
letterboxd.com/machill54/
letterboxd.com/film/ma-nama-jeff/
letterboxd.com/actor/pastafrola/
letterboxd.com/Arokz/
letterboxd.com/Driveanon/
youtube.com/watch?v=6PNfnNBDatY
letterboxd.com/Synt/
letterboxd.com/MLGMeerkat/
letterboxd.com/Mastro666/
letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/

don't have a good one for 1968, sorry op

That's ok I'll recommend one on your behalf

I'd recommend all the sins of sodom, an unbelievably well photographed sexploitation film, one of the most successfully erotic I have ever seen.

Looking now I've seen a lot of really weird 1968 films, great weird film year

letterboxd.com/machill54/

Cheating a bit because one film is 1967 but the other two are 68, I highly recommend the Findlay's 'Flesh' trilogy. A married couple makes low budget sleaze together but with a really fascinating NY roughness and bdsm tinge

Death Laid an Egg

>Recommend a lesser known film from the year that corresponds to the last two digits of this OP
Haven't seen any :)
old movies are boooooring

retard

neet

thanks for killing yet another thread, tard-boy

Looking forward to this when the blu-ray arrives

and especially watching it with based Kim Newman commentary

letterboxd.com/film/ma-nama-jeff/

Mr. Original Doggy gives Look Who’s Back a 3 star rating

cuckold

where is rooney?

hay if you can stop making posts about griffith that'd be great

I don't see how that's an insult.

of course you don't, pete the c u c k

THATS NOT MY NAME!!!!

lol

How do we stop him?
letterboxd.com/actor/pastafrola/

maybe if rooney comes back

okay i'm back.

How do we stop him?
letterboxd.com/bigsmartypants/

you're the FAKE rooney

you're the REAL rooney

i love rooney

literally who?

this poster

Rec more 1968 movies

2001: A Space Odyssey

Bonsoir les amis

letterboxd.com/Arokz/

Whistle and I’ll Come to You 1968

>Mon Oncle
MY FUCKING NIGGER

>dude lsd lmao
>dude youth rebellion lmao
>dude hippie 'philosophy' lmao
The 60's are a trash decade. only attractive to people dumb enough to abide by such retarded post-modern notions

haven't heard of that one

>not an argument
>not an argument
>not an argument
>not an argument

The difference between Intolerance and Mirror is the same difference between Griffith and Melies.

Melies came first. Any "innovation" that Griffith made pales in comparison.

hey check out this nerd

>I watch movies to self-insert myself in youth rebellion escapist fantasies because I'm too weak in real life to start any revolution.
>I watch movies to pretend I'm having an LSD trip because I'm too afraid to actually take hallucinogenic drugs
I don't even watch movies.

>some poor woman actually gave birth to this living deficit
this is legit sad

No. The difference is one's a magic trick, one's art.

No, I have a functioning brain.

>I don't even watch movies
MEGAAUTIST EXPOSED

>watch
Vulgar. I peruse.

I saw 3 women and it had a big impact on me, though I didn't relate to the character's feminine struggles.

>straw man
>ad hominem

Strained solemnity is not high art. I thought postmodernists already knew that.

I was calling on people to check out you being a nerd, you broken brain buffoon

damn... day ruined

thanks tardboy

>it had a big impact on me
That's because you're a dumdum.

Double Indemnity > Birth of a Nation

don't lie, pete

>broken brain
Nice wit.

What's the greatest comedy?

Everything featuring David Wark Griffith. Comedy and tragedy personified

this
Griffith is a sad joke

WOOH nailedem

Including his life lmao!

Mon Oncle

>I haaaaaate old movies
Yeah, I could tell.

Pic related is better than anything Griffith did

yikes

And the prime reason why John Ford will always be a mediocre pale imitation of Griffith is because he only grasped the superficialities of his form. With Ford, there is always play-like contrivance and centralization, i.e. Stagecoach. With Griffith, paths will most often not cross, but they were linked by editing. That was one of the genius hallmarks of the man, so much so, his works are a separate medium from Ford.

>muh wacky slapstick hijinks

What's better to watch with a girl

The goonies or call me by your name

call me by your name

letterboxd.com/Driveanon/
I follow back faggots
>1968
HEAD HOLY FUCK WATCH IT
GROOVYKINO
youtube.com/watch?v=6PNfnNBDatY
By far one of the most skillfully edited sequences of it's time. Literally fucking immaculate. Kudos to Toni Basil for the choreography.

letterboxd.com/Synt/

People who really liked Killing of a Sacred Deer: why? Not that I disliked it at all but curious to hear more opinions.

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm off the top of my head.

Well, I aint no follow back girl, if you know what I'm sayin'

I shit on synt

It was funny and dark

letterboxd.com/MLGMeerkat/
follow me back

Fair enough

fucking obviously, Drive is your first favorite too!
sheesh tho
>that BAKA rating

>Symbiopsychotaxiplasm
>niggers
No.

Fill me in on wtf BAKA means i'm semi new

wtf I wrote S M H as in spiderman homecoming baka apparently means stupid or some weeb shit idc desu

>those favorites
You think you're being ironic, but the real irony is you actually have shit taste.

lel it's so bad

basically my words we're changed by the chan

Driveanon’s review published on Letterboxd :
"You know The Monkees were made just for a TV show right? Davy needed singing lessons! They we're created to be a joke."

At my local supermarket back home, at the first job I've ever worked in my life, my coworker told me all this to educate me on The Monkees, and their "origins". He always was confused as to why I loved the Monkees, especially after learning what they really were, or WHY they really were. I blindly defended them, being that "Daydream Believer" was the first song I remember hearing AND loving from the group, and I could've cared less "what they were made for" at the time. Because IF (and I'm pretty sure they were) The Monkees were made for solely commercial purposes, they've truly surpassed what they were created for and gained a much larger following than ever expected. I loved The Monkees from the first time I've heard on the radio at my register, all the way to my last few weeks there stocking shelves.

Their music defined a solid year of my life, kind of like a soundtrack to it, and nothing could change that.

They're magical, whether they resemble The Beatles, or The Beach Boys, or any generic 60s boy band, The Monkees have made their mark in this world, and in my heart.

I was about 17 when I first heard The Monkees, and I'm only 19 now, but it feels so long ago...

The most beautiful, groovy, ever twisting cinematic journey I've taken in my life.

Yes, I will have to watch this multiple times down the line to truly be able to digest "Head". I ended up having to finish the other half of the film today being that I was too tired to finish it last night, but that's besides the point.

letterboxd.com/Mastro666/

How am I supposed to take the opinions of a man who doesn't own any actual books and instead searches stuff on google books, seriously? Let's pretend that your contextless and nonsensical red underlinings exist for a second: why don't you own any real books?

part 2

Head is a emotional, spiritual, and psychological hour and thirty minute trip the viewer takes right along Peter, Mickey, Davey, and Mike. Every time you think this film is taking one direction, it takes another.

The Monkees are at the wheel, and we're taken for a ride through each of the members minds, and careers as a whole when watching this.

The easiest way to put, or even interpret Head, at first watch, is that the "Black box" they keep finding themselves trapped in is a television. I believe this is a social commentary on The Monkees career as a whole.

They feel trapped, both as a band, individuals, and even further outside of the musical aspect, their existence as human beings is stuck in that box.

Similar to an actor being constantly typecast in films, The band can't ever seem to shake their ties to the media, Television, and being "The Monkees".

The ending of the film is so beautiful yet so sad, because it's also the beginning of the film, which is where Mickey dives into the water, kicking off The Porpoise Song sequence along with the remainder of the film then ends with the rest of the bandmates diving in with them only to find themselves trapped inside of another black box being moved by "The Director".

This brings me to my conclusion that the only truly important parts of the film is the beginning and the ending. The Porpoise Song sequence represents how The Monkees would take hallucinogens to escape this "reality" built by the media to entrap them, only to find themselves caught in the routine yet again.

TL;DR: The Monkees are caught in a perceptual cycle created by the media meant to commercialize them in any way possible, with no escape to reality besides hallucinogens.

Or...It's just a really enjoyable Monkees movie that's whimsical and crazy in every way possible.

I recently saw killing of the Sacred Deer as well, even though I thought the dark/absurdist humour elements made me laugh and were well integrated with the rest of the film I preferred dogtooth and Lobster more. While I didn't dislike the first act, it did take a bit to get more into but once it did, especially the second half/last act were wonderfully weird and the bit were he gets out the blind fold and gun really messed me up. Did you happen to like/notice that its a shoutout to Iphigenia?
I wish Colin would do more of these types of films, he's better suited and put to use in them.

FUCK YOU

Forgot profile: letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/
I've already commented on graveyard and El Sur.
Female prisoner, I intend to watch the rest some time and with gaps inbetween so they don't get repetitive, surprisingly well made for an old exploitation prison film.

Actually I remember you saying you got a kick out of trashy/exploitation flicks, I noticed you haven't seen the female prison scorpion films.

Honestly though I need to take a break from crazy/funny films and watch something softer, romantic or low-key.

The only ones that can't tell if a source is from a book or not, haven't read many books.

Found the degenerate homosexual tranny roleplayers

That's cool, yeah I think I pretty much agree 100% with you. Especially about the first act, I enjoyed it but I felt that it took a very long time to actually get to the core of the plot. And while that in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, a film with this particularly funny premise, I wish we got to it sooner. I haven't seen any Lanthimos other than Lobster, I know I should watch Dogtooth and Alps soon. Embarrassingly, I didn't pick up on anything I didn't already know about from before, so greek myth references went over my head I suspect.

Yeah I don't really know why, it seems like something I should have checked out by now. I'll have a watch of one soon.

What's this in reference to?

Oh wow, a non-answer? Colour me surprised.

You have the sensibilities of a 10-year-old, so I'll treat you like one.

BUT I FELL FOR THE PROMISE
OF A LIFE WITH A PURPOSE
BUT I KNOW THAT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE NOW

lol where is the Trans thing coming from? When did I ever say I was anything along those lines?

First time I watched dogtooth it unsettled me, on a second viewing I almost died laughing, I think its one of those things that plays as either a weird creepy drama or bizzare comedy.

I was referencing myself, that I need to kind of watch more mainstream stuff again for a while.

>where is the Trans thing coming from
You're right. Degeneracy and transsexuality is redundant.

>where is the Trans thing coming from
I made it up so I could pretend that I wasn't the only one.