Do people here actually want superhero movies to be pretentious and boring?

Like yeah, marvel can go too far in the other directions sometimes but at least they have the awareness to know that it’s all kinda silly anyway and they choose to make it more lighthearted and enjoyable. What’s wrong with that?

It’s far better than trying to shoehorn in a “DUDE Superman is a metaphor for Jesus LMAO” into every dark and grainy second of your overly serious capeshit that thinks it’s an Oscar flick.

No, they just want to post about it on Sup Forums so they can feel better about themselves for a very brief moment.

yea things can only be juvenile or pretentious

I don't want superhero movies period, you subhuman, brainlet piece of shit

Humour is fine.

Self-aware constant winking to the audience isn't.

I literally said that marvel do sometimes go too far the other way you illiterate doofus.

But at least on the whole they stay closer to what a superhero movie should be.

There's a difference between self-awareness and non-stop self-references and you don't know that difference. Quips every 2 minutes are a substitute for actual writing and they're 100% bulletproof since you can dismiss any criticism with "lol just chillax grandpa it's not serious"
Overall people here don't give a fuck about this particular movie, they're just disappointed that Marvel has successfully become the McDonald's of movies.

Well now that was just uncalled for

But have you ever read a superhero comic? It’s completely within the tone to quip although I agree that marvel overdo it and shit like “Dance off bro!” Is pure aids.

But they still stay closer to what a comic book superhero flick should be than DC trying to make everything dreary and depressing. It’s like the dark tone was the only thing they took away from the Dark Knight trilogy and didn’t pay any attention to the incompatible setting this time around.

Thor had the most potential to lead into Thanos and they just casually shit all over it, she literally walks into the vault and goes lol this shits fake as fuck.

They didn’t even do anything with the cosmic cube.

Bingo. I want good films, not to be treated like a retard. Comics stories are just stories, same as any other. They can be deep and engaging, they can be funny, heartwarming, soul-crushingly depressing, inspiring, or they can be just empty escapist power fantasy. Stop blaming the source material and start blaming the craftsman.

Nolan's Batman wasn't pretentious or boring..but it was something different than all the Marvel movies, not to mention much better.

Same with Burton's Batman, or the older Superman movies. Not everything has to be generic bland quippy bullshit

>But have you ever read a superhero comic
I've guessing you mean marvel comics because I've read Watchmen, Killing Joke, Sandman etc. and they don't have any of that. Also if your argument is "marvel comics have awful writing so marvel movies can have awful writing too" then I don't even know what to say

>Same with Burton's Batman
wasn't that the original Quip Fiesta? Or am I thinking of the Shumacher ones

Watchmen is also a good example of a tone/mood a superhero movie can take.Yeh yeh it wasn't a perfect adaption but it was good enough.

>DUDE IT’S SILLY AND FUN LMAO!!! XD

We've seen Thanos with the real gauntlet already and Hela says the tesseract is the real deal too.

just recently saw the new thor and enjoyed it except for the constant cringeworthy humor.

superhero movies are for teens and nerd culture nu-males
is there a superhero in it?
it's instant trash

Yes but no one took it, it exploded with Asgard and there was a second one with some kind of molding around the edges.

Loki was checking the cube all over at the end when he went to revive Surtur. It's obvious he has it and Thanos will get it from him.

i'd rather they have decent writing and some sort of message and point rather than just being 2hours of quips

Disney doesn't even function at the maturity level of the actual comics. That's right. It wasn't infantile *enough* for general audiences.

Think about that.

Marvel used to put out the occasional film that ranged from terrible, to "so bad it's good," to legitimately a good watch. It was Feige and Disney who brought this monstrosity upon us. They could have chosen to craft a taut, concise interwoven plot, but no, that's too much like caring. Far easier just to crank out a lot of loosely-connected schlock and spin it as an integrated universe. Whoopty-fucking-do. Having a shared universe is meaningless if you can't even tell a compelling story with it.

Say what you will about WB, but the fact is that their films are putting together a more interesting and thematically complex story in a quarter of the run-time of the "product" Disney is churning out. It's not even debatable at this point.

I'd rather have too edgy than PG generic bullshit

Not having childish humor, plot holes the size of galaxies, one occurrence of convenience writing per minute and a plot so contrived it would make a corpse blush, doesn't make a movie boring. Even a superhero movie can avoid those as much as possible and can have a meaningful story and interesting multi faceted characters, not be formulaic and still not be boring or depressing.

An example would be Watchmen.

I can't talk for people but I can talk for myself and I want superhero movies to be good movies like any other genre can be. I know exactly what you mean when you say "pretentious and boring" and what you are picturing in your head is any movie that take itself seriously and do not dismiss it's own existence with shallow quips and "lol so random" humor like explained.

Yes Superhero movies can take themselves seriously and still be good movies, (e.g. Batman Begins, Unbreakable, Mask of the Phantasm). The biggest issue here in my honest opinion is that everything is patronized in Marvel standards of good with shallow, inconsequential plots and overall one-sided characters and events that are only there to support the next joke. Still superhero movies CAN be funny and also good at the same time (e.g. Incredibles and Deadpool) but the opposite is also true. And I don't need to explain that variety is essential to any genre.

But the MCU is boring and pretentious too.

>awareness
being in on the 'joke' doesn't make it not shit

cape shit is low quality stuff even by comic book standards. People who like comic books start at low quality manga/comics which always ends up being shonen or superhero crap. If you like comics a lot you'll move beyond this low quality stuff but there are other psychologies when it comes to absorbing entertainment. Some get really nostalgic and other allow effort justification to decide for them that everything a certain writer/character is involved with is 'good' because of one story they read. So you have people who STILL read Daredevil, bitch and moan about how it's not as good as Frank Miller's run and yet still buy all the issues and read them over and over. Super hero comics can be a 'hub' for comic book fans with some taste but still crippled by a mix of nostalgia and love of a character that hasn't resembled themselves for decades. Superman hasn't been superman since forever, same with Spiderman, and there is no need to mention all the weird Marvel gender/racial swaps which make it more concrete that you can't pretend these characters are the same ones from the 70s-90s.

Cape shit was always low tier, the movie industry has become so talent-less and mindless that it's just now become a perfect fit.

>I've guessing you mean marvel comics
That also happens in a very large portion of DC comics, just not in 'serious' Vertigo comics. They're a different label or one-shots outside of canon for a reason.

This has absolutely nothing to do with companies

would you agree that DC/WB is actually putting out quality character development and storylines compared to Marvel/Disney?

We want them to be good, Ragnarok is a step in the wrong direction in that sense

the teaser felt much better because it felt like something truly audiovisual, the editing and music were made based on the fact we generally know the plot beats and character stuff that is implied and so it moved with a certain pace that felt fitting to the rock/viking stuff. It felt like it would have its own unique sense of pace and time

so i think people feel the problem isnt that these movies arent boring arthouse shit, but that it's flat and boring already.

You know the tempo (serious plot development, undercut with a joke possibly etc), you know the beats. The only things that are unique in the viewing experience is the boring fat (Valkyrie shooting people, Thor talking to her before getting the control etc)

comparatively maybe? It's still shit and le ebin capekino is just a dumb fucking meme, capeshitter

>go see the new thor movie
>imax theater is packed
>experience unnecessary cringeworthy humor
>audience cracks up laughing
>my group just looks at it each other like wtf

I would. The sequence of events, the character development, and the backhistory all figure into the themes they're exploring.

Not even memeing. I'm watching a BvS right now, and noticed yet another detail. Lex has a "halo" of one sort or another associated with him in almost every scene. He only loses it at the end when the world's perceptions on him change. It's fucking fantastic. The "fanatic bombers" in the JL trailer are hinting at exactly this same sort of thing - a return of magic, fueled by humanity's collective perceptions on things, their beliefs.

Completely unsurprising that a year ago, people were calling all this "headcanon."

i want them to stop being made so often. i definitely dont want to see/hear about this shit for the next 20 years or however long

BvS is the best movie of the last 10 years and theres not a goddamn thing you can do about it

idiot

>Do people here actually want superhero movies to be pretentious and boring?

yes but only because that style of movie is unpopular and Sup Forums is contrarian as fuck

if Ragnarok bombed, was disliked by fans and got bad reviews then you'd be reading on here about how it was actually a post-modernist post-ironic meta-comedy that plebian normies just cant understand from a genius obscure director who understands real humor for intellectuals and fans were just mad he was using their stupid franchise to satirize superheroes

I agree. When it comes to mega-budget blockbusters, there isn't even any real competition. Nolanfags can take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

>tfw my group was laughing

Why people will never understand this I'll never know.

I'm a fan. I fucking hated it. Not because it's a bad action/comedy, but because it's an absolute assassination of every single character involved. It's a fucking farce, and anyone who considers them self a fan of comics that isn't offended by it needs to acquaint themselves with a more fitting descriptor.

Anyone notice the FOR FRODO moment with heimdall and the sword pose?

I wouldn't mind him as aragorn desu he does have an english accent after all

fuck off

I completely agree, and as long as movies like this are catered to the MASSES then things are never going to change.

People forget that movies are a product you pay for, and are made for maximum profitability.

That never happened with Suicide Squad or Age of Apocalypse or any of the other pieces of shit that bomb and get trashed. Thor was a piece of shit too by the way, but a better shilled one

ANOTHER DECADE OF CAPESHIT AND STAR WARS SEQUELS, OH BOY!

Sup Forums does yes

Idris has my pass.

no just Sup Forums

It's less that and more . . . could just take itself a little seriously? Just a little. I'm not asking that capemovie all turn into Jin Roh or Tinker Tailor Solider Spy or Army Of Shadows.I just want it to have some sense of fucking craft, cause so far, despite almost a dozen of directors, it all feels so homogeneous and disposable. But then again that what cape comics are: disposable media.

Different comics have different tones. They're not nearly as identical in tone like the MCU. Actual creative minds work on these comics sometimes too.

Those slightly saggy tits, I'm diamonds.

That's because that was a stupid goof on the part of the filmmakers of the first Thor movie since, A) it was the wrong hand for the glove B) Thanos was already meant to have the gauntlet instead of it being in Asgard's vault as shown in GOTG. It was a fuckup on their part and this movie just happened to highlight that fuckup with Hela describing it as a mere replica.

>They didn’t even do anything with the cosmic cube.
Loki took it. Pay attention next time.

Eh, it's kind of a blur. Schumacher's movies were just more colorful than Burton's. However, and this is important, the villains in the 90s Batman movies actually were effective threats to Batman and Gorham City. Meaningful screen time was spent on developing the villains as much if not often more than Batman himself. Go back, watch them, and then compare them to MCU movies.

this. even Hella, Goddess of Death, played by Cate Blanchett, had jokey lines.

How are these fucking producers, writers and directors going to do THANOS. A villain as serious as fucking cancer. Im expecting a train wreck.

>Wotcher, M

>“DUDE Superman is a metaphor for Jesus LMAO”
you don't and never have understood superman if you think this is new

How about Idris Elba as Fëanor in the Silmarillion movie? That sounds fucking rad to me.

>A villain as serious as fucking cancer.

I’d agree, although what I liked about Thor Ragnarok was that it was committed to the lighthearted vibe instead of the usual marvel film which is all goofy then suddenly serious with 0 impact
>He’s my friend
>So was I
You didn’t earn a dramatic moment and it doesn’t work

>Schumacher's movies were just more colorful than Burton's

that is a gross oversimplification. They are very different in more than color.

>oops!

gets me every time

prob the definition of The graphic novel will help

I have no problem with the message, in fact done well it could elevate the film. But in BvS it’s every 5 seconds reminding us. It’s no more sophisticated than a marvel movie when they take a good concept and repeat it 500 times per second so mouthbreathers get it

That's some good ol' comic book cheese right there.

While I agree with your sentiment you picked a terrible example. Other than
>DUDE ORANGE SLICES LMAO
and Spider-Man civil war was one of their best movies and was tonally consistent for the most part. They earned their dramatic scene over the course of 150000 movies that came before it, it just had less impact because of how many of those movies were shit and suffered from that problem.

>They earned their dramatic scene over the course of 150000 movies that came before it

this. the final fight and reveal at the end of Civil War actually surprised me and was fantastic.

The Batman becomes more and more the "Lord of the Underworld" over the course of the film. The victims he rescued in his first scene? Both underground and unjustly imprisoned. The "jailer" there to free them is a "devil."

At the end, Lex in "Hell" is confronted by this same jailer.

>haloes

And Superman gave them back to all of us.

>tfw men are still good

What you're saying is a strawman nobody wants a "pretentious and boring" superhero. I mean there's nothing inherently wrong with what Thor Ragnorak did with the whole "oh wow this is so stupid haha we are so self aware" attitude really the problem that I have with it at least is that a lot of people like yourself think that's the ONLY way to approach superhero movies which I think is just being cynical and ashamed of the the comic book genre from a fan's POV. And I can see that when you call MOS/BVS dark, grainy, pretentious, and accuse it of trying to be an oscar flick(and why would that be bad? To have ambition?). I'm not debating that they're good movies or not but MOS is no "darker" or "boring" than the justice league cartoons and way less pretentious than Arkham Asylum which way more heavy handed with the Jesus symbolism but still considered one of the best comics made and BVS was much and I mean much more lighter and comic booky than its source material dark knight returns, one of the main comic books that was praised by critics and fans alike for elevating the genre from funny books to a medium where you can actually try to tell meaningful stories with these characters but I guess now that's not the case anymore. Hell cartoon shows like Batman, Superman, Justice League, Batman Beyond, and Spider Man that were literally aimed at kids treated both the audience and characters with respect and didn't mind dealing with "mature" content that I know many disney fans on here would call depressing, brooding and no fun if done in live action.

TL;DR Nothing wrong with the silly self awareness route, but that shouldn't be the standard and bringing the characters and worlds of comics to life accurately and playing it straight with a sense of craft and meaning has been done before and takes talent. There is nothing wrong with trying to elevate a genre and it's not pretentious or boring.

How so? Aesthetics aside Schumacher's movies continued a consistent progression of camp as established by Batman Returns. The set designs, costumes, cinematography, etc just highlights it all in a way that makes it stand out more.

>no sense of drama because quips everywhere
>no sense of real danger because its a superhero movie
>no sense of tension because villain is a wet noodle tomato can monster of the week
>simple narrative meant for children to understand

It is quite an accomplishment to make a movie as boring as modern marvel movies, and capeshit in general. They are just flashy effects and explosions.