I bumped into the first person I met who didn't like the Lego movie. Here are the arguments

I bumped into the first person I met who didn't like the Lego movie. Here are the arguments

>it's just a giant commercial
>the story is just an excuse to have as many sets and toys on screen as possible to make you buy them
>the whole concept of satirical critique of consumerism and conformity is non existent, or doesn't work
>it wasn't funny and the story was bad

So what do you think? I disagree for diverse reasons, but I'd like to have your input.

everything legit except the last point.
it was really funny and the story was great
if i get this with every ad i'd only watch ad's from now on

Wait. Some people didnt get the movie? How?

I think it's hella overrated. I still enjoy it, but when it goes live action, everything just felt forced and unauthentic. Overall I give it 3/5, not bad but not great.

>hella

There's this one guy who said he hated it because it had live action parts in it.

I learned that day that normies don't really analyze what makes a film good or bad. It kind of makes me sad.

Was this an old person? Or were they just never a child?

That's actually where it blows my mind.

That's where it goes full circle, and explains the whole lego universe, the way it works, the psychology of the characters, the themes and the reasons why this or that set an dcharacters were chosen above others.

There's a great sense of set-up/pay off in that movie, and a great worldbuilding and story telling.

20 something fat nerdy girl.

The other person (fat nerdy guy who collects legos) said he didn't like it because the message of the movie was that collecting, and not playing with your toys, made you a bad person, and he took it pretty hard.

Yeah, but it also introduces and proceeds to not explain how the legos are also alive. The Special is still able to move even when not being a catalyst for the son or the dad. That's a weird decision given the revelation that is presented.
Also, maybe it was the dialogue or the performances, but something between the son and dad didn't feel organic.
Again, I don't think it's bad per se, just overrated.

You think that's bad? The director's commentary for "Kung Pow: Enter The Fist" discussed reviews from critics who absolutely did not know that the film was satire (bad lighting, bad dubbing, etc)

I enjoyed the movie from a conceptual standpoint, but I thought the humor was really flat and unfunny.

>The Special is still able to move even when not being a catalyst for the son or the dad. That's a weird decision given the revelation that is presented.
There are different explanations for that. I like to think it's the kid who created a parallel universe out of his imagination, and it peered through ours because Emmet is some kind of jesus.

I do agree it could be seen as a form of plot hole, so fair point to you.

He must've hated Toy Story 2.

Sounds like someone with a kid begging them for every set.

How did you...

Read this They're actually together and she complained often that his collection was taking too much space.

>the whole concept of satirical critique of consumerism and conformity is non existent, or doesn't work

Is he retarded?

It's all valid, though obviously the last point comes down to personal opinion. Even if you feel that it's a superficial toy ad with a hammy satire and outdated feelgood hippie message, it's still among the top crop of superficial toy ads with hammy satire and outdated feelgood hippie messages (literally every single animated kids movie).

What a faggot

>It's just a giant commercial
And? Movies are a business, so unless your hipster trash that only partakes in indie cinema this is a stupid objection.
>the story is just an an excuse to have as many set and toys on screen as possible to make you buy them
Yes and? That's not a comment on its quality as a movie
Someone missed the point of the movie. Though the creative master builder characters look down on Emmet for confirming and always following the instructions, that is what enables their plan in the end. The story never actually dismisses people who enjoy that aspect of society and of Lego. It criticizes people when they are inflexible and demand things remain static forever.
Humour is subjective, but the story being bad isn't a critique with any substance.

The guy you met is jaded and has deep set rooted problems in his life. Avoid him.

>Yeah, but it also introduces and proceeds to not explain how the legos are also alive

They just are. Its no different than the toys being alive in Toy Story or the fish being able to talk in Finding Nemo. That's just the way it works in this world and there's no need for an explanation.

>it's just a giant commercial
So? There plenty of commercials that are actual good works of art, and are remembered fondly by many people. Something being a commercial doesn't mean it can't be good or meaningful.
>the story is just an excuse to have as many sets and toys on screen as possible to make you buy them
The story is set up so they could have as many things that people loved about LEGO in the movie so people would go "Hey, I remember that set/theme" and to show off the many different things you can make with LEGO. It's also a dumb thing to say since loads of locations/themes aren't even being made currently, so you can't buy them as toys.
As in it doesn't work in this movie, or in general, because the latter is a fucking dumb statement, and the former is a matter of taste.
Again a matter of taste. Also saying something is bad, but not explaining why, is the same as saying it's good without explaining why. A useless statement that doesn't persuade anyone, besides the most dumb of people.