Why the fuck is Daredevil: Born Again the greatest capeshit story?

Why the fuck is Daredevil: Born Again the greatest capeshit story?
>a heartbeat can tell you a lot
>she's lying

Other urls found in this thread:

filescdn.com/2zp4o693xcxa
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Its definitely one of my favorite superhero stories. While I'm not necessarily going to say it's the best; it is the BEST book Marvel has ever put out.

What modern writers didn't seem to understand about BA is that in the end Matt's life, while not as great as in the beginning, was starting to get back on track - he got his girlfriend back, he got a crappy house and a crappy job, but still he was content. The readers got a sense of closure.
Nowadays, the only thing that happens is that the hero gets kicked while he's down, and if things ever start working out for him it's only an excuse to pull the rug from under him again, and kick him some more.

I've heard some people reasonably argue that it's better than Miller's TDKR. Also, born again is proof he would have been good on a Captain America book

Would ending the daredevil series after born again given it more of an impact?

It's basically the ultimate "masked vigilante" story, i.e. the full realization of what the genre originally began as in the Golden Age.

Nowadays superheroes are just faggots in arbitrary costumes doing arbitrary superhero things.

Why wasn't he on Cap?

I think he left mavel after born again. He can write Cap well, but his superman isn't as strong.

It understood why Daredevil was interesting. As a suffering character that gets back up, just like his religious figure. Nowadays Waid and Soule just wanna write bullshit issues about Matt fighting Moleman and shit like that.

I've always said that Born again is basically a superhero retelling of the biblical story of Job: matt is job, kingpin is god and the devil since he has the power to Lord over everyone in new york and testing the goodness of matt, a man who has been faithful to the law

Born Again is so fucking great. Just amazing. Both from Miller and Mazz. I would love an art piece of the open Splash Pages arranged.

>It was a nice piece of work Kingpin. You shouldn't have signed it.

>There is no corpse

Waid had some great suffering and recovery from Matt, it dealt with those issues great without harping on about it because most runs prior to his had Matt's suffering as a focal point. Waid's run brought back some of the pre-Miller levity and then used that to juxtapose the problem's Matt's been encountering since Miller. It's stated several times (mostly by Foggy) that Matt's sunny disposition is just him lying about his depression.

Those splash pages are something else. I love their significance to the story and how they show matt's journey

It's not. Beginning is kinda lame, Kingpin should've killed Matt it makes no sense for him to arrange that car accident since nobody was looking for Matt anyway, not even his alleged best friend whom not only cucked him but didn't bother to look for Matt despite knowing his home blew up, was broke, unemployed and missing for 11 days. I mean, it's still really damn great, but far from flawless.

I think it would have been great on a Cap book.

The few parts he uses Cap in Born Again are amazing.

Born Again is a close second for me as far as cape stories are concerned after The Dark Knight Returns. I'll fight people IRL who think Watchmen is better than Born Again.

It's good until Matt comes back as Daredevil, after that it stops being a Daredevil story and becomes a Captain America one. I don't know what the fuck was Miller thinking.

> that Matt's sunny disposition is just him lying about his depression.

i kept waiting for some big pay off and it never happened

>I have shown him… that a man without hope... is a man without fear
AAAAAHHHHHHH
Such a good fucking comic.

>Winter hits Manhattan like an unwanted relative, drops in with no warning and seems to stay forever.

god i love Miller's noir writing.

The power of the characters and Mazzuchelli's art, man.

The name is stupid. Matt is a Catholic, not an Evangelical Protestant.

The title fits the story. It may not be Catholic, but at least it's in the same Christian ballpark

Born again was the first Daredevil story I read. I'd say it's better than his original run with Elektra

You totally don't get the point of the book's name.

How many daredevil arcs are there where Matt gets his identity revealed?

Sorry this post was meant for

You're all pretty hard on other DD writers and I think it's a little unfair. What are their options?

Born Again is the ultimate Daredevil story.

Other writers try dragging Matt down to bring him back up and you get responses like this So you try to be different and let Matt be happy but then you get You're never going to hit the impact that Born Again had. Regardless Daredevil, barring Shadowland, is one of the most consistently well written characters in capeshit.

Too many to count. It's a well that's dried up. Despite the slightly repetitibe nature of it, the bendis story about matts identity being revealed to the public wasn't half bad.
I miss the old bendis

It is. Second run is better than the first run, which is also fantastic.

>Regardless Daredevil, barring Shadowland, is one of the most consistently well written characters in capeshit.

This is true. even Bendis didn't fuck up Daredevil. Though I despise Soule's run with an absolute passion.

>Prosecutor

Yeah, you miss the entire point of Daredevil as a character. Fuck you Soule, fuck you.

I've neither touched nor heard anything about Soules Daredevil. How bad does he handle the book?

>TFW nobody ever wants to talk about Nocenti's run.

She literally had Matt go to Hell and back.

Matt is a prosecutor. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

Born again is in the Catholic Bible just as much as the Evangelical one. Also, St. John is the Evangelist.

Nocenti's run is the second best run on Daredevil after Miller's. Nocenti's run is based as fuck!

I mean it can work if they make a big deal out of it. Like something big in Matt's life is causing this.

If he just woke up one day and decided to be a prosecutor yeah fuck that.

>I mean it can work if they make a big deal out of it. Like something big in Matt's life is causing this.
>If he just woke up one day and decided to be a prosecutor yeah fuck that.

Guess which of the two you think it is...

I always found it to be massively overrated. It's great, but never blew me away like Watchmen, All Star Superman or even TDKR. Miller doesn't do the best character work is much fitted for action and plot driven stories. I also found Miller to be much better when he was doing the art and panelling himself.

Daredevil - Born Again (2010) (digital TPB) (Minutemen-InnerDemons)
filescdn.com/2zp4o693xcxa

It bums me out that her run never gets a lot of attention.

Thanks, user.

What big pay? Depression never really has a big pay off. It ends in a whimper and comes in waves.

Say what you will about Waid now but his Daredevil was lauded as one of the best runs out there.

Soule is doing good work with his villains he has introduced but everything else is utter shit I will give you that.

I find it underwhelming.

Exactly because of these mood swings.

So, ok, she writes about pollution, then she starts writing about demon shit, then feminism, then demon shit again with Inhumans and Silver Surfer thrown into the mix, then Matt comes back and he has no reason amnesia.

It has great moments, but some of the imagery is so ridiculous. Like, issue after Matt was beaten to death by Typhoid's gang we see Matt bleeding... and getting sucked by demonic vacuum cleaner.