Japan knows how to make good stuff, no lie. But have they ever made an actual crossover...

Japan knows how to make good stuff, no lie. But have they ever made an actual crossover? I ain't talking splash pages where different characters meet or 3 page specials and stuff like Tsubasa Chronicles. I mean by actual crossovers with the characters actually meeting and using anything the writers can use to their advantage and give the people a fun time. Do Mangaka really find it that difficult to collaborate with another and make an actual story? No enough funds in their wallets or whatever? Reminder on how the AoT/Avengers thing was when they had Hajime Isayama on board with the writing team.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qI8XgZMiP44
youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8KnKcnJJM
youtube.com/watch?v=cO71RRx1lHU
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/SuperRobotWars64
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Jump Super Stars. Also, this topic is more Sup Forums than Sup Forums

There really needs an updated chart by the way.

They don't do crossovers for a reason

crossovers are truly awful and easily one of the worst things about western comics.

Nice contrarianism

fair few go nagai/ken ishikawa properties have done crossovers, fun lighthearted stuff for the most part. Need background knowledge on the whole series for the most part tho.

Crossovers are one of the best things about western comics when done by people that respect the source materials of each side.
It probably has to do with the fact that Marvel and DC universes are literally giant crossover specials that have been going nonstop for decades. It's a core part of the evolution of comics to where they are today.

>Batman vs alien

Mmmm, that's the good shit.

It's not all the time, but it happens.

I disagree.

not doing it to try to be a contrarian. I have been a long time manga/webcomic reader and only more recently started to read more western stuff.
Its infuriating to try to read a run and miss stuff because HOLD UP YOU NEED TO READ THIS ISSUE OF THIS OTHER COMIC every couple of issues. I don't want to read crossover shit. I just want to read the comic that i am trying to read. why is that so hard?
Crossover's are copouts so they dont have to bother with keeping a plot or advancing the story because OH LOOK AT THIS OTHER GUY THATS HERE NOW.
Its a marketing tactic where they use a character you like to draw attention to another series or in order to catch more attention because of a BIG TEAM UP.

That's not what we mean by crossovers, doofus.

They dont. They lack the imagination to do so. Its also the reason why every single manga is the same shit.

well fuck me then.
what are you talking about then?

have you never heard of Super Robot Wars before?

That's just crappy corporate fleecing of your dollars. It would be crappy whether or not it was a crossover because the entire first concern there is about ripping you off or letting a person with no talent write things.

See

didn't they also made a Lupin Vs Detective Conan OVA?

Space Patrol Luluco did this. Each episode had a different crossover

Crossover are like a threesome for reading, amazing, just amazing.

This was really good! Go and netflix that shit if you haven't watch it!

Which crossovers are better?
Versus crossovers or Team-Up crossovers?

That shit doesn't even have a plot

how are the comics in the link any different than the shitty marketing ploys i was talking about?
Seems pretty PLEASE BUY US, WE ARE INSERTING THIS POP CULTURE REFERENCE SO PLEASE GIB MONIES
Its like some dude just drew an argument that you once had with a friend over whether or not THIS CAPE could beat up THAT CAPE.

id rather have amazing sex with one person than a mediocre threesome where neither series is written to its full potential.

God, you're an idiot. First off, no one's forcing you to buy those crossovers since they usually take place outside of continuity. Second of all, what's wrong with giving people the kind of match-ups they want? Besides, it's not always a versus anyway, which you would have noticed had you actually read what the pic said. Go fuck yourself desu

>What's the difference between a comic where they actually tried to do a good job while attempting to get your money vs comics where they just shoved whatever in as a cynical attempt to grab your money which often results in a bad product?
I am legitimately worried about your mental health/acuity.

oh god forbid i left out when THIS GUY meets THAT GUY
Archie meets the Punisher? seriously?
why? who needs that? who even wants that?

obviously some people like it as a lot of the responses in this thread seem positive. I just happen to not agree. Good luck with your cool crossovers bud.

oh boy one writer put a little more effort into the thing his editor is forcing him to write than the other. i am sure there are couple of cross-overs that were produced by a genuinely excited author because he really wanted to write them, but the vast majority are shitty cash-grabs.

>but the vast majority are shitty cash-grabs
>never read crossovers
>still has the nerve to call them shitty
lmao fuck off kid

>Not enjoying Riverdale getting some Frank.

Shit taste, bruh. I bet you didn't even enjoy Archie vs. Predator.

This needs to be updated with Batman/TMNT. That was some good comic.

Batman vs Predator is really good.

Slayers vs Orphen Radio Drama happened.

Super Robot Wars has been going for like 40 years now. Complete with numerous individual storylines that span multiple games.

Also trash like this

youtube.com/watch?v=qI8XgZMiP44

youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8KnKcnJJM

When does the new Judge Dredd vs Predators vs Aliens come out?

>I never read them
>but they're totally shit
You're everything wrong with Sup Forums

It's actually been out for a pretty long while. I honestly don't think anyone has storytime the 3 issues that have been out.

I mean the next issue.

That was fucking terrible.

Yes, Japanese crossovers are a thing. Pretty big thing.

Devilman vs Cyborg 009 is not Netflix right now. It's fucking awesome.

Oh man, SRW.
youtube.com/watch?v=cO71RRx1lHU
>YATTE YARUZE x2
>Not bad at all.
>Same to you.

This needs the Thundercats/He-Man crossover and Tom Scioli's Transformers vs. GI Joe.

>Japan knows how to make good stuff, no lie. But have they ever made an actual crossover?

This one was great.

>Archie meets the Punisher? seriously?
>why? who needs that? who even wants that?
Because it's about Frank pursuing a mobster who looks just like Archie Andrews, and its funny to see the Punisher in a farce where he can't kill anyone cuz Riverdale is too damn wholesome.

Like when Hack/Slash did an issue in an ersatz Riverdale, where a slasher couldn't kill anyone cuz the teens wouldn't do drugs or have sex. It's self-aware humor on Archie's part, which used to be rarer. Nowadays, you get rad shit like Archie vs. Predator where the Predator totally can and DOES kill off characters cuz Archie canon is lol I dunno.

Fuckin' A, it was Knightfall before Knightfall.

the fuck is this garbage

They do that a lot in tokusatsu.

Single-creator crossovers happen sometimes. Toriyama did a crossover arc of Dragonball/Dr. Slump early in the original.

Also, Giant Robo is basically a smash-up of everything Mitsuteru Yokoyama ever did in a weird retro-scifi giant mech future with magic samurai and ninja, and super-powers... but even though it has a lot of sources they're again all from one creator.

Most of the older Go Nagai & Ken Ishikawa series have crossed over in one form or another at least once. There's stuff like Mazinger Angels where all the anime babes from the Mazinger trilogy form a team with Cutie Honey. DevilMan has fought just about everybody at some point or another, including Shotaro Ishinomori's Cyborgs.

Speaking of, Ishinomori's toku stuff was ostensibly in a shared universe, so you'd get the GoRanger vs. JAKQ movie where they mention that other heroes like Kikaider and the Kamen Riders have been fighting the movies' villains off-screen after their shows ended. There wouldn't be another proper Sentai team-up till 1995, but they've been doing them ever since, and other Toei heroes like Kamen Riders and Metal Heroes get thrown in.

I've recently heard about Jiraiya the "Amazing Ninja" showing up in the Nininger show, and everyone basically craps their pants from how awesome of a legend he is. I really need to watch this soon.

do yourself a favor and dont

Uhhhhh yeah i've seen all of Ninninger and while I did enjoy it i'm also a fucking weirdo who likes toku especially the really old ones. It's far from how you picture it. It's pretty much just a generic episode where an older more wise person shows up and they fight together and the younger characters learn from it. Really nothing that special unless you were a huge Jiraiya fan or something.

>Really nothing that special unless you were a huge Jiraiya fan or something.
Am. The show was a big deal in my country.

Well then you will probably like it. With any luck it might get some proper subs soon too. People have been working on subbing metal heroes series.

on the topic of anime crossovers going to dump a two part Super Robot Wars doujin, specifically for SRW 64; tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/SuperRobotWars64

it's not in English, but I'd say being able to read it isn't necessary to get full enjoyment out of this one, the series that are featured in this are;

Aura Battler Dunbine
Blue Comet SPT Layzner
Demon-God of War GoShogun
Getter Robo
Getter Robo G
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3
Invincible Super Man Zambot 3
Mazinger Z
Great Mazinger
UFO Robo Grendizer
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Six God Combination Godmars
Super Beast Machine God Dancougar
Super Electro Robo Combattler V

Team ups are always better. Especially when it's both universes' villains teaming up against both heroes.

>Ossu, Luffy
Who the fuck translated this, TV-Nihon?

this whole thing basically acts as an epilogue for the Giant Robo OVA, and is a huge love letter for both it and many of the Mitsuteru Yokoyama series that were combined to make Giant Robo

it really is a wonderful thing that we've moved past TV-Nihon for the most part

the Dragon ship we're seeing here is from Dancougar originally, and being captained by Bright Noa from Mobile Suit Gundam

The best crossovers are the one where the heroes get in a ridiculous contest over who's the best.

and now the antagonists for this, Big Fire have deployed a literal army of monsters and robots to hinder our heroes

forgot my image

Good to know, it's probably already subbed in my language, too.
The same guy who mentioned this episode has been watching the originals for Power Rangers shows, and... wow. Completely different from the sabanized shows.

Thanks for the tip, anyways lol.

Kamen Rider Gaim/Kikaider was good, if only for Ryoma

>Someone sends you a robot just to do some final tests
>"Sure thing pal, I'll put my brain in it"

19/10 best bro

and now a bunch of the main robots are seen(in the actual SRW games everything is in SD format so it's not immediately apparent how much of a difference two series' robots might be in height), from left to right;

Daitarn 3
Zambot 3
Go Shogun
Combattler V
Mazinger Z
Gundam F91
two Aura Battlers
Great Mazinger
Grendizer
Nu Gundam
Dancouga
and two robots that I can't identify

the robot on the right is one of the "Original" robots created for SRW 64

needs this too

the Gundams really don't fare too well in this manga for the most part

nor do their pilots...

and saving the day is the Wing Zero dropping off four of the five members of the Shuffle Alliance(leading into one of my favorite parts of this), near as I can tell most of the Wing and G Gundam suits are out of commission since only God Gundam and Wing Zero show up in this

and I forgot my picture again like a moron

twice I did it, what is wrong with me tonight?

why the fuck is this here and not on Sup Forums?

> hur durr we don't get that many anime threads, you guys!! you're just getting upset over nothing!!

no idea why OP did, but I'm not complaining

One Piece and Dragon Ball alone have had three.

love how dynamic the action is in this