Is there a worse plot device in storytelling than "villain captures hero and doesn't kill them instantly"?

Is there a worse plot device in storytelling than "villain captures hero and doesn't kill them instantly"?

Usually involves having to be somewhere else in a rush and putting them in some sort of trap that will surely kill them

yeah who wants to see a super hero do something awesome to escape certain doom

I'd rather read a story that has stakes

>I'd rather read a story that has stakes
Why are you reading superhero stories then?

I'm not

There are tons of problems that would be fixed by getting rid of villains completely and having stories just be heroes against heroes.

It doesn't even have to be capeshit.

It's lazy and dumb. And insulting to the reader quite frankly.

>It's a villain captures hero but hero distracts him telling a story or playing with his mind episode.
>It's a villain captures hero but starts monologuing episode

Bendis i want you to gag to death on your bulls cock.

>It's a "villain starts monologuing in order to stall for time for his evil plan to succeed" episode.

I have no issue with villainous monologues because good dialogue means a lot to me. I do however have a problem with this idea that every story has to actively try to subvert that cliche.

twilight might have them

>Villain instantly kill a hero when given the chance
>Every superhero title is a single issue long
>Because this is not a sustainable model, writers must constantly find increasingly convoluted ways to pass a legacy
>All heroes are now Grasshopper
>OP is actually Dan Slott

Yeah "imposter dresses as hero and commits crimes, now hero must clear name" is infinitely worse.

the evil genius gene is just really close to the self-sabotaging pride gene

JUST SHOOT HIM.

JUST KILL HIM STOP GIVING A SPEECH WHY WOULD YOU TALK TO HIM WHEN HES GOING TO BE DEAD IN 30 SECONDS

If I were a badguy and have to leave the hero unattended for whatever reason, I'd make sure they were already crippled beyond all ability to escape. Like, broken limbs, missing fingers/eyes, whatever.

>35 minutes ago

>Villain just starts killing heroes outright.
>Attracts attention of heroes that kill their villains.
>Government also cracks down heavily and issues a kill order if they're high profile enough.
>Villain gets blown the fuck out, thereby incentivizing other villains to pursue nonlethal schemes.

This is how it should work.

Someone's a fan of the venture brothers.