Ultimates Ancillary Storytime - In-Betweener (Part II)

In-Betweener was central to two recent (i.e. post-90s) miniseries, so I'll be posting them to compliment & contrast the classic storytime from yesterday.
First, Vengeance by Joe Casey. Which is coincidentally Ms America Chavez' debut to boot! Yaaaaaaaaay.
Afterwards, Longshot saves the Marvel Universe.
Said prior storytime can be read here: - Starlin, Stern & Steve Englehart Cosmic Craziness

This guy.

This FUCKING Guy.

>Joe Casey
Ewww

pls no bully
Seriously tho you got some opinions to share? After reading this I'd like to know more about his work & him as a writer.

He thinks he's hot shit when in reality he's a self-indulgent, edgy, utterly talentless hack.

Interesting. Could you elaborate? Maybe some examples?
I don't doubt you, this mini just seems so... wacky. I'd like context.

Well, in Wildcats 3.0 one of the protagonists (who has mind-control powers) spends a good portion of the run raping his boss' wife, and this is treated as a "morally ambiguous situation" at worst because the dude "really hated his boss". Yeah.

kek what the fuck

And here I all could find when I Googled him was Godland. Thought it look kinda neat.
There much morally ambiguous rape in that?

Also that he co-created Ben 10.
Sounds hilarious, now.

bump for MAC doesn't wear panties

Godland is one of his better stories because he doesn't go all edgy on it, he totally shit the bed with the ending though.

Adventures of Superman is another example of him not being an edgy asshole. He's like Millar in a lot of ways.

Sorry got distracted by another tab.

Computer's been slow AF since I restarted it. Might need to close some stuff in a sec.

shit
I was gonna make the comparison myself but figured I might be jumping the gun.
Plus I couldn't think of a kid-friendly Millar IP to cite.

>more concerned with keeping the peace than ensuring it.
... What?

>Plus I couldn't think of a kid-friendly Millar IP to cite.
Superman Adventures.

...hullo?

I'm alive, don't worry.
It's THAT slow.

Reading 90s Moon Knight in the other half of the screen might have something to do with it...

and FYI: If I space again I may have skipped to the loo.
OH SHIT WACKY DIMENSION STUFF

If it isn't clear to anybody: the 2 normies are Wandafied former mutants from Grant Morrison's New X-Men run.
Should probably have brought it up earlier.

You just described Ultimate Nullifier perfectly

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
In all seriousness I want to see more of that guy. Especially if Ewing's writing.

Between the fact that the Ultimate Nullifier is shrouded in mystery to this day, and the wacky cosmic multiversal backstory MAC got given later on, I feel like there's some serious potential with him.

I wonder if Fury thought of them as something with potential or just a bunch of kids who don't REALLY understand how things works in the actual under-the-scene

Think about it: Ultimates is basically a Galactus story. And we're 99% certain this is all going to lead to Oblivion.
And what do Galactus & Oblivion share in common? What mighty mysterious maguffin is inexplicably possessed by one to somehow 'port people to the other?

Really makes you think. S'all I'm sayin.

I'd be kinda mad if it turns out Oblivion was the big bad. Guy never seemed like much of a threat, and making him able to chain Eternity seems a bit retarded. Then again, my own personal hope (even though there is zero chance of it happening) is that the one holding the chains of Eternity is actually the Empty Hand.

>Guy never seemed like much of a threat
...You serious?
>the one holding the chains of Eternity is actually the Empty Hand.
Who's to say they aren't the same thing seem from different perspectives.

I myself haven't read Multiversity, specifically because I hear it's got a pretty Oblivion-esque message that renders the reading moot in itself.
Seems kinda pointless y'know?
Also one of its fans was rude to me once and I'm petty.

So yeah this guy's from an old X-Force/Deathlok arc Casey did in the 90s.
Dude protects his own I guess. The scaly chick from issue one is another one of his forgotten X-Men creations.

I've read most of Joe Casey stuff I would not call him much of an edgelord instead he's ambitious but often fails to live to up to the ambition. He want to create stories that push boundaries or have a deeper meaning but often the meaning I have the mini series Catalyst comics which while not bad it's message can be boiled down to, Superman must consider the meaning of what he in order to effect real change, superteam are co-dependent messes, and Wonder Woman is the best. It's a good book but it has a very simple messages that doesn't really push anything. Here's a list of the things he did.
>Sex-Batman has sexual hangups and people make fun of him.
>the Bounce- Spider-man as a stoner who travel dimensions
>Automaitc Kafka- Joe Casey weird tribute to Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
>God Land- His best work with art by Tom Schioli

I would say that he's not a bad writer most days but often his own personal hangups and attempts at boundary pushing come off as trying too hard and often at the expense of characterization to prove a point.

Comprehensive! Thanks a ton dude.

>he's ambitious but often fails to live to up to the ambition. He want to create stories that push boundaries or have a deeper meaning
Yeah from what little I've seen I can definitely see that now that you put words to it.
And thanks for the recs. Automatic Kafka especially, Doom Patrol's the one Grant Morrison work I unconditionally love. Stands as my most expensive comic purpose.

*purchase
that's not a good sign

Also anybody have any opinions on just how much of a DICK Kid Loki was in this?
Seemed uncharacteristic. But also entertaining, so I'm none too bothered.