ITT: Cliches That Need to Die

>love triangles
Need I say more?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OawrlVoQqSs
youtube.com/watch?v=HNJRRR3jKcY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The problem isn't too many love triangles.

The problem is too few harem endings.

This

Along with the Good Guy not being able to kill anyone

>MC and female friend are childhood friends
>Both have their respective crushes
>Both get over them
>End up together

Oh shit, I love both these anons. What will I do?

>The childhood friend winning
Not in my Laotian puppet shows.

youtube.com/watch?v=OawrlVoQqSs

>It's a liar revealed episode.

>OP whines about cliches
>never provides alternatives

>it's a boys vs. girls episode

Is her hair bigger than her entire head?

Didn't that basically only happen in Kim Possible?

Get over it, Doug.

How would a person's hair be smaller than their head?

No what's worse is
>Seems like it'll be a Harem show
>It's actually not
>Worst girl is only love interest except for one episode when an even worse girl shows up to make her feel insecure
>Best girl isn't even in competition

Not him but it is really fucking annoying and overplayed.

>The broliest bro dies.
>The asshole doesn't.

>fart cloud is any color other than green

>seems like it will be a harem show
>four male main characters
No

>Character has little sister
>Obnoxious little brat

>There's only one girl on the team
>She's an unfunny stick in the mud straight man
>OR
>She's only on the team because she's in love with the team leader

How about just
>There's only one girl on the team

One thing I've noticed about Gravity Falls is that with Wendy it seems like they were trying to have her be a second female main character so that Mabel doesn't feel like the token girl, but she does so little so rarely that Mabel ends up the token girl most of the time anyway.

>antagonist is clearly more skilled than the MC
>MC still wins in the end through determination/power up/love/plot armor
I wish this shit would stop. You see it with Deathstroke vs Batman too.

Her hair is part of her head. How is that logically possible?

Just for the record, I've won a sparring match by simply blocking (because that's all I could do) until my opponent fucked up their shins so much throwing blocked kicks that they could no longer stand.

So yeah, you can beat a more skilled opponent through raw determination (read: a higher pain threshold)

>cheerleaders/popular kids are mean
>cliques existing

This has never happened in real life

>Childhood friends end up together
Why does that trigger people so much? Lifelong friendship with the opposite sex can only go two ways.

>Along with the Good Guy not being able to kill anyone

Except for Spidey and Batman, what heroes even follow this anymore? Even Superman will kill if really forced to.

>You see it with Deathstroke vs Batman too.

What do you mean? Batman is more skilled and should win.

>harem

Contrary of what anime says, little sisters ARE obnoxious little brats.

>In ENGLISH, please!?
>Or WHEN are we?
>I should have killed you when I had the chance!
>No, it's only just begun
And other over-used phrases like that.

Oh, how could I forget:
>My name...is...[BLANK]!
>We're not so different, you and I

>In ENGLISH, please!

You'd need to kill the true evil there which is bs technobabble said by a character to sound

>"""""""""""smart""""""""

>Villains being evil because they quote villains from older tv shows and act arrogant all the damn time.

Is it too much to ask for a villain who can make a good evil speech nowadays?

I want to see a mixed-gender party where none of the characters are ever even hinted as love interests for each other

The worst is when it's completely unnecessary. Obviously, if you're discussing a problem about the Large Hadron Collider with a coworker or something, you're probably going to be using technobabble, but if you're giving time-sensitive instructions that can be boiled down to "flip the blue switch", don't go on a huge monologue about magneto reluctance in the turboencabulator.

>What do you think this is, some sort of cartoon show?

>Guys are dumb and girls are smart.
>Girls always win.

>Character dies off-screen
>lolnope, they're alive
The shitty thing is that you can't even have a character die off-screen and stay dead anymore, or else the viewers will spend the whole movie/show/whatever waiting for the character to show up again.

Good thing voltron doesn't do that. Well technically there's 2 girls but still

I know they're cliches, but I have a soft spot for:

>after a lot of fighting
>Villain: ENOUGH
>or
>Hero: NO MORE

>This isn't [type of media] ok? This is real life.

>guys are sexist but only for this episode

>Something that seems permanent happens to a main/minor character
>Instantly becomes resolved for no reason

>new character shows up
>existing characters act like they've always been friends/family/etc and are super important to everyone
>new character dies same episode/issue or very shortly after into
>big tragic scenes where the existing characters are all devastated like one of them had died and the audience is supposed to care

Bump

>children know how to solve the problem
>the adults are stupid

WELSHYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

>The seven deadly sins are personified
>Lust is represented by a woman

Fucking post revival Futurama.
>in this episode every man is extremely sexist
>in this episode Leela thinks Fry is only dating her for her looks, despite being extremely self conscious about her appearance in every other episode
>in this episode, Amy only likes bad boys
>in this episode, Zoidberg is interested in human women for some reason

It can work if the writers know what their doing.

Spongebob and Sonic Boom are good examples.

Yeah this really needs to die in a fire slowly while it's family watches.

>Boys vs Girls episode
>Male character and Female character have a competition
>Male character is a main character, Female character is actually an antagonist
>Rest of the cast discusses accomplishments of women while competition goes on
>Male character wins using an all-female team while the Female character's team was all-male
>Episodes ends with everybody unsure if anything was proven, leaning towards a moral of "Men and Women are equals" without outright saying it

This is what kills South Park for me. So many episodes are just the main characters having, like, so much smarter opinions than the adults. Why, these things are so obvious that even children can understamd them!

Of course, these things are the writers viewpoints. Using children to push a viewpoint is one of the cheapest things anyone can do, and the fact that they satirize it in an episode about Starbucks just shows that they have 0 self awareness.

Lately the writing trend has changed to "Stan/Kyle is wrong, the other is right" or just "Cartman makes ridiculous claim to the irritation of Kyle, turns out to be right", which is annoying in its own right, but at least it's not as cheap as the "please think of the children"-esque hackery.

What is Adventure Time?

What shows did this?

Too specific.

That's not so bad. Try this
>male versus female episode
>dumb guy initiates it
>they have a competition with several different challenges
>the girls win every single one by far
>the lesson is equality
What's particularly frustrating is that these shows are always aimed at kids. Most kids go through that "other gender has kooties" kind of phase, but few are ever actually sexist (unless if they get it from shitty parents). You can talk about gender inequality in the modern world, but kids aren't responsible for that at all, and doing this "See? Girls aren't weaker, they're actually stronger" can feel really unfair for young boys, who are usually too young to hold values that many progressives consider outdated and misogynist. Or any values at all, for that matter. They're kids.

Granted, this kinda crap in shows is pretty minor compared to other things that can grow resentment towards women in young boys. I can remember quite a few teachers who blatantly favored girls and were extra tough on boys, and this felt like the cruelest injustice anyone ever faced ever. Fortunately I didn't grow up to be pic related, but if there's a new generation of misogynists then I fully blame Gen X for that shit, or even the millennial generation (should it be that far along the line).

Chaotic. Pretty underrated show overall, but the execution of that episode sticks out to me since it seems like it was leaning towards girls being the overall winners, but then the twist of the guy using all females to win against the girl using all males followed by the confusion at the end was really neat.

>in this episode every man is extremely sexist
Gravity Falls roadside attraction.
It's fucking baffling how much they threw Dipper under the bus. The A-B plot just crashed and burned in this episode. The spider-lady says how easy it is too trick men and Stan feels bad. She's a montser who eats ppl, fuck her. Dipper gets no heads up about Candy. Even when all the girls caught Dipper at the same time, really he had no reason to spazz out.
"Dipper who's this girl!"
"This is my sister's friend, who is acting weird right now. These are some girls I met today."

shut up Doug

Needs more true love triangles, where a loves b, b loves c, and c loves a.

Worse
>Lust is represented by a woman with no sex drive

Fucking South Park

>I'll [Any incredibly awkward phrase meant to imply death as long as they don't straight up say die or kill] YOU!

>Shitty pun/joke
>Everyone on screen bursts into laughter, fade to black

>obliterate
>maim
>destroy
>annihilate
>eliminate
>all okay, say it as much as you want
>kill
>THATS TOO FAR SHUT IT DOWN

>Avatar uses words like death and kill
>Korra only uses words like destroy
What happened?

He was such a regular character!

The writers inability to define Fry and Leela's relationship drove me insane.

Plus they used different takes on this kind of line every episode
>No, no, of course not...but also, yes! Exactly that.

>The big one is stupid, the small one is smart

Why even have them together at the end of Wild Green Yonder if they're just going to revert back to the status quo and delay their relationship until the finale?

Besides needing a cliffhanger to increase demands for a new season. But still, I expect more from those writers.

>Hero mindlessly plows through countless goons, killing most of them
>Corners bad guy
>I CAN'T KILL YOU BECAUSE THEN I WOULD BE JUST LIKE YOU

>meta jokes in general

youtube.com/watch?v=HNJRRR3jKcY

When has this ever happened?

Only time this was done right was in The Incredibles, as they say how the bad guys are going to use lethal force on kids, and are not Saturday morning goofball goons

>Sup Forums complains about this every thread
>have never once seen it happen
What are you guys even watching/reading?

Any inversions of this?

Meta jokes and episodes depend on what the joke is and how they play well on it.

>Nerd character
>According to my calcuations
>Now if I just calibrate the mainframe
>I've """hacked""" into the system
>High pitched nasally voice
cmon_son.gif

Aang never says that killing Ozai would make him just like him, and he never (At least intentionally, or on screen) kills anyone, though it really does seem like he probably killed Zhao at the end of the season 1 finale.

I'm just using the "Parent+teacher" thing as an example of how the cliche plays out, not as a cliche itself
>Character walks into house
>Sees his mom kissing his teacher
>"YOU'RE KISSING MY TEACHER!?"
>Commercials
>Establishing shot
>Interior shot shows characters in slightly different positions than where we last saw them
>"ARE YOU KISSING MY TEACHER!?"

>Main character is impossibly stupid
I was disappointed when, at the end of the Rick and Morty pilot, Rick basically said that Morty is a huge idiot, but I was pleasantly surprised that he's shown to actually be pretty smart, or at least average, in the rest of the show.

Too general.

Some do it terribly. Others do it great.

He's just book dumb

>Aang never says that killing Ozai would make him just like him
That part is just a Sup Forums meme
>and he never (At least intentionally, or on screen) kills anyone
Countless mooks are shown in certain death situations, falling to their deaths or getting caught in explosions, you don't notice this because their deaths are glossed over. Zhao at least chose not to be saved

Fucking hate that. Did they just casually walk around during commercials.

kek

Clarence parodied this by having the fade to black that segways into commericals occur in the middle of the episode

When's the last love triangle you even saw in Western media?

Not him but Star vs is extremely obvious

Also Regular Show

And to a lesser degree Adventure Time

>American school
>no one gets shot

>show takes place in England/Germany/Sweden
>there are white people

To be fair i actually love "I'll send you to the next dimension/shadow realm" as a stupid threat.

>Show says to be kind and make friends with everyone
>Always end up beating up, banishing the villain(s)

>Peas are depicted as disgusting
>Not full of country goodness and green pea-ness

that's terrible