What's the big deal about this movie...

What's the big deal about this movie? Just watched it for the first time because heard lot of people saying it was one of the best of all times but didn't mean much to me

Also, how did they get away with making a film with a 100% male cast?

It's really subtle and low key.

Eh?

Be?

got some of the best body horror of all time

Not only that but some of the best practical effects of all time too. I really can't see how anyone could watch this film and not appreciate just how great the monster looks.

Maybe if you watched when it was new, you watch it today like I did and it sucks

I downloaded it 3 months ago b/c Sup Forums said it was awesome but haven't watched it.
Prince of Darkness wasn't great, that's why I'm not in a hurry to see the The Thing.

I watched it for the first time a few months ago and I loved it. You are probably just a pleb m8.

>he fell for the Sup Forums has good taste in movies meme
jej

People here on Sup Forums just like to like it I guess, if you ask any questions about why they ll just respond with an insult or just call it great because it's great

Nah, I watched it because I heard people in real life talk about it, film directors and film journalists

I was going to start typing out a real response, but then I saw
>Also, how did they get away with making a film with a 100% male cast?
Oh, okay. I see how this is going.

>top notch practical effects
>interesting monster concept and design
>paranoia horror that includes the audience
>comfy snow setting
>characters are logical and believable
>oscar worthy doggo acting
>not a single female

>100% male cast

Did you miss the whole point of that? This is bait, right?

Not baiting, please do explain

hmmm is this bait?

>if I'm not a /r9k/-tier misogynist it means I'm baiting
when will this "pretending to hate women" meme end

why wouldn't they get away with having a 100% male cast? not like there's anything wrong with that

you probably just saw the gore of the film and thought that was it.

the film is a who-dunnit?
who got infected first?
who took out the generator?
who sabotaged the blood?
etc
the film lets you know all of these things, you just have to pay attention.

Females will be a love interest or put the others in a position to want to protect. The main theme of the movie is lack of comraderie.

Fuck, the most selfless character appears mad and is locked up a majority of the movie and our "hero" uses the most selfish tactics to protect himself.

I enjoyed it and kept my attention, just saying I would never say it's one of the best films ever made

A slimy penis up your butt.

who sabotaged the blood, then?
surely you can't say if it is or isn't one of the best ever made if you don't understand it?

>who sabotaged the blood, then?
Who cares

When a movie relies on tension so much it's because it isn't so good. By your logic detective books are the best ones

The Thing is one of my favourite movies but your reasoning is fucking retarded if you can call it great just by "who sabotaged the blood"

which movies do you think are good? please give me an example of a good movie

This is bait right?

>who cares if I understood the film or not
you're on a fucking film and television board, dude.

I didn't say that...?

>The cast is a bunch of fucking white males
How did Carpenter get away with it?

Classic: Otto e mezzo

idk tell us oh mighty creskin i can't even remember everyones names

I'd like to add the opening to that. Just to think of what must have happened in the other camp.

The movie is great because of A T M O S P H E R E

Hipster

>how did they get away with a 100% male cast
Well SJW were not a big thing at that moment, plus it's an horror film and they usually don't care in that genre if there's enough women represented or that kinda concern.
Plus it's in Antarctica, and the fact that they're all male can create this sort of loneliness-tension that transforms into paranoia and fear that serves the film. It just makes sense in the context of the story.
Some did argue that The Thing was the female element lol...but i think it's a bit far fetched.

The story per se is irrelevant, the whole point of having a film is the way you tell the story

If you can get "spoiled" by getting told the ending of the film, then it isn't such a great thing

I bet you think marlel cgi looks good.

there's also a gay black man and keith david

unironically lovecraftian

it was a different time

I love the thing but you are obviously a pleb plotfag.

So, you didn't like the characters?

Because the characters and their interactions are what it's all about.

I liked the movie, I just don't consider it to be as great as people seem to say

>the whole point of having a film is the way you tell the story
the infected dog walks into a room and we see a silhouetted man, then it fades to black
we hear someone drop the keys to the blood fridge.
long johns are found in the trash, seemingly for no reason.
there's a solid pan to the basement door, seemingly for no reason, which reveals who sabotaged the generator.
the coats in the cloakroom are removed, which reveals who went outside.

the whole point of having a film is the way you tell the story.

Stick to Wes Anderson, numale

It was dumb since the very begining

If they just shot the dog at the start everything would stop, 100% Norwegian people speak English and the dude there just screams in Norwegian (like Amerifats could speak it) and then starts shooting at them

>one of the best of all times but didn't mean much to me

Do you like horror movies, OP? Because when I first watched it I thought the same; among regular movies it's pretty 6-7/10, compared to other horror movies though? Fucking gold.

Also women would've just cheapened it tbqh.

>It was dumb since the very begining
what a sad life you must lead if you think The Thing is dumb.

No, I don't like horror films

Imo scaring and grossing out are the most basic ways to generate a feel in people who are watching, so I don't really take them seriously. This movie isn't really about horror, it's more about suspense

I like it, but as you say I wouldn't rate it over 7/10

>2017
>hurr durr I just watched The Thing for the first time

That's what the sequel was about.

I mean, if we are talking about the plot

Prequel*

Numale? Fuck yumale.

Rewatch it once a year for the next decade and maybe you'll begin to appreciate it.

>good effects (Practical body horror)
>great cast, good acting, distinctive characters
>mistery, paranoia and tension through the whole film
>intreristing antagonist
>nice setting
>good music

Fuck off millennial cuck. You're a faggot born in the age of faggotry that doesn't know what the age of masculine film was

literally rustled my jimmies

just go back to your Star Wars or Spiderman or whatever the fuck it is plebs like you watch these days

Grandpa please, there was no need to insult

>roastie milennial detected

The Thing is a rare movie that I genuinely do not believe anyone that likes horror movies and isn't being a contrarian could dislike. It's the perfect balance of excellent filmmaking and craftsmanship and a fast pace and great effects, literally everyone loves it.

are you fucking retarded?
>assumes some random norwegian scientist in the fucking mad panic of his life knows english
>hurr why didn't they just shoot this fucking dog for no reason what a bunch of dumdums

>>assumes some random norwegian scientist in the fucking mad panic of his life knows english
Why wouldn't I assume that? Next to every single Norwegian can speak English, even more those who are educated like a scientist

The movie was made in 1982. I think it's okey that one of the Norwegian base personell doesn't speak English.. Btw that guy's accent is weird. But I don't think he is American. He sounds like an Icelander trying to speak Norwegian.

Maybe because movies that you watch are so fucking generic and the same you can't even determine what good movies are.

lmao how's your intro to film class going kid

Oh well I checked it, and I was wrong, it was an American.

PoD was meh tier, The Thing is great because of the paranoia feeling it instills. It also gets better after rewatching and realizing the plot is really tight.

Have you even seen a thread about it before saying that? People call it great because of great characters, atmosphere and practical effects and those are what people here mostly discuss about it.
Where is all this bitterness coming from?

This film was made during a time when independent studios produced shit, and creative directors were allowed to do what the fuck they wanted.

prequel was lost potential.
could of had something decent if they didn’t destroy the casting with “mug strong independent female lead” and cg it to shit.