Good Time

50 minutes in, does this movie actually get good/better or will it stay """realistic""" til the end?

He gets arrested

What a fucking boring and obnoxious movie

But it's good.

It takes more than a few okay shots for a movie to be good

a great soundtrack, authentic characters, a frenetic and appropriate pace, and truly hilarious scenes make a movie good though.

Even I liked this movie and I hate almost every movie I see

>great soundtrack
regular synthwave or whatever it's called, it's alright but not great
>authentic characters
one is mentally retarded, one is, to quote the movie, a little prick and one is an acidhead, truly amazing characters
>frenetic and appropriate pace
the pace is alright but still too slow at times tho i do get what you're going for
>hilarious scenes
there were none in this movie

>calling Oneohtrix Point Never "regular synthwave"
>only listing two out of the many characters who appeared
Done with you. Enjoy being Captain of the Shit Taste Club.

>being a synthwave meme faggot
I listed three characters but sure, let's list some more other than Nikas, Connie and Ray.

Therapist - two sentences and serves as a regular backstory character
Grandmother - broken arm
Caliph - stereotypical bulky drug dealer with such a forced accent (his "mothafuckaa" is obnoxious)
16 year old girl - a fucking failure already
Her grandmother - one of the few characters with some fucking point in the movie
Security guard - scrawny stereotype

Please enlighten me, which characters were important other than the initial three I mentioned?

>its alright but...

you're a dumb fag

Great argumentation, really shows the type of people who liked this movie

>not understanding how side characters can add color to the environment and flesh out the movie beyond broad strokes
>also not understanding that the movie was primarily about Connie and other than the two bookend scenes with his brother he is the center of the movie so we see everything through his eyes.
You also forgot Jennifer Jason Leigh you tasteless faggot.

really shows you're a dumb fag

When did I say I didn't understand? Only fucking premature idiots think that not liking equals not understanding. What you described with the side characters could have worked if they had any dimension to them instead of being literal fucking stereotypes.

>What you described with the side characters could have worked if they had any dimension to them instead of being literal fucking stereotypes.
They weren't stereotypes. These are people who exist in New York. They were authentic.

Oh my God I can't, this is pure pottery, do you even realize how badly you're defending this very average movie?

>Oh my God I can't, this is pure pottery,
Why bother defending a movie to someone who can only communicate through memes? The story is the only thing in the movie that's "average". Everything else is above average. Your assertions are flawed because rather than being objective you are coming at it from someone with very poor taste.

No, I always approach a movie objectively, regardless of genre, setting, actors, director and whatnot. The only fully fleshed out character was Connie but he was by no means a well written character - he came of as your typical petty thief with leftover teen angst. Add to that a random Deus ex Machina every couple of minutes just so Connie can continue his, as you've said it, average story, you get a very average movie overall.

>>Oh my God I can't, this is pure pottery,
You said this so I am never taking a thing you say seriously again. Cheers.

Best film of the year

>truly amazing characters

user said "authentic characters", meaning they feel like real people. This is what makes them so great. But it's clear you're a brainlet anyway.

>50 minutes in

did you really stop a movie just to come post on Sup Forums and ask neets if it was gonna pick up? you gotta dent in your head bud?

>Oh my God I can't, this is pure pottery

Do you know how terribly you're "proving" your point? Your arguments, if there are any, are vapid and you never explained why you didn't like it. Don't present conclusions without arguments to support them.

Kek first you shit on him for naming only two characters (he named three) and then you say that lnly one character is important. Are you legitimately retarded?

have you seen Inside Llewyn Davis? would you consider any of the other characters besides Llewyn "important"?

>i can't come up with a good counterargument so i'll just pretend to leave

Every turd you ever made in your life is authentic but that doesn't stop it from being a piece of shit.

I actually gave them, not straight away but during a thing some people call a "conversation" but I wouldn't expect someone here to have an attention span higher than one of a mayfly.

He brought up your poor defense and this is how you respond? Pathetic

the characters in ILD all exist to serve Llewyn, just like all the characters in GT exist to serve Connie. it's really not that complicated. the side characters in both movies behave like real people who could actually exist and not like actors playing a role. that is why Good Time is a good movie. That is why Inside Llewyn Davis is a good movie.

A good movie may have real characters. The inverse needs not be true.

>The inverse needs not be true.
So in your mind a good movie can have inauthentic characters? We have very different expectations on what makes a movie good. Sorry for your shit taste.

holy shit I thought you were memeing
this is boring as fuck

While good time may have authentic characters, the story itself is straight out of a fantasy tale. Even tho I generally don't like it, I'd rather have "unrealistic" characters doing and being part of something realistic. You like this movie because Pepe is in it and because it appeals to autists, which you clearly are. This is basically a "destination vs journey" argument and you seem to like the destination more than what was learned on the way.

>This is basically a "destination vs journey" argument and you seem to like the destination more than what was learned on the way.
You have read me completely wrong because the journey of the film was one of the best aspects about it. You even said yourself that the movie had a good pace.

It did have good pacing but the story itself is shit and he learns nothing during his "journey"; if he had, he would have dealt with each coming character in a lighter way than the previous one - that's why Ray told him he's a prick. It's an A to B movie but with zero development on Connie, one could argue that Nikas might have had a sort of journey but not much could be drawn from it.

He only really learned his lesson at the end when dudebro hit the pavement, which is why they pretty much imply Constantine took the rap for the bank robbery

>the story itself is shit and he learns nothing during his "journey";
why are you so hung up on the story, or that the character needs to "learn something"? It's about a man heading down until he breaks. There are many movies like this, and the characters don't learn anything except misery. It is cathartic for the viewer because these characters usually get everything that comes to them. Ever watch Before the Devil Knows You're Dead? Brilliant movie, very similar to Good Time. The characters in the movie start horrible, and the audience knows they are horrible. The audience is vindicated because by the end of the movie, the awful people we had just watched are put down. What is your problem with movies such as this?

this desu, sometimes I don't want to watch a shitty person become slightly less shitty I want to watch a shitty person get put behind bars (bonus points for his brother getting out).

It was implied throughout the movie that he would be prosecuted as the sole perpetrator of the crime.

How is anything you've just written cathartic?
>these characters usually get everything that comes to them
Exactly; this is the NORM. Very few movies actually dare portray the truth that some vile criminals actually end up better than the victims of their crime. For some sort of catharsis you either need a good guy turned bad or vice versa, bad guy staying bud is not catharsis.
> The audience is vindicated because by the end of the movie, the awful people we had just watched are put down
And? There is literally no payoff

Watch literally any TV crime series and/or 90% of crime detective movies.

I'm positive you don't know what catharsis is.

>It was implied throughout the movie that he would be prosecuted as the sole perpetrator of the crime.
That's why his brother was in jail for no reason yeah? Just hanging out with actual criminals for funsies? Fucking idiot.

That girl didn't look any older than 13.

>Very few movies actually dare portray the truth that some vile criminals actually end up better than the victims of their crime.
What did you mean by this?
>For some sort of catharsis you either need a good guy turned bad or vice versa, bad guy staying bud is not catharsis.
No, catharsis can come from a number of ways. For instance, in Requiem for a Dream when Harry gets his arm cut off. It is the culmination of all his bad decisions throughout the movie. The viewer is cleansed because Harry has paid for his sins.
>There is literally no payoff
The payoff is him getting arrested. The payoff is Ray taking a tumble to his death. These bad, scummy lowlives are off the street and no longer a stain on society. That is catharsis.

Woah are you saying you DON'T like something a lot of other people do? You must have a really high IQ or something. I'm impressed, really.

well I did say "sometimes". I do like stories about the bad guy prevailing sometimes but in this particular case I just really loathed Connie and wanted him to get arrested and was glad when he did.

Let me quote the movie for you:
"The thing is, is that I don't think that you're as responsible for this as you believe you are."
"And the best news is, he's where he belongs"

Fantastic observation but I hate to burst your bubble, I do in fact know what catharsis is and the only character who may have experienced it is Nikas.

For instance a murderer gets away hands free whereas, well, the victim is dead. I may have worded myself poorly before.

>catharsis can come from a number of ways
I actually agree, I was generalizing but I still disagree that those are cathartic experiences.

>These bad, scummy lowlives are off the street and no longer a stain on society.
It's not really catharsis if it's pretty much expected.

There's a lotta paragraphs in this thread. I'm not reading them.

Great contribution.

I understand, however, I don't think it was really unexpected for Connie to get away with all of the shit he had done.

>For instance a murderer gets away hands free whereas, well, the victim is dead.
Yes, that happens sometimes. And also, it sometimes doesn't. This movie is about people who didn't get away but tried to. It's a spider fighting against the water as it's circling the drain.
>It's not really catharsis if it's pretty much expected.
Even if you expected the movie to end badly, you can't deny it being cathartic to finally watch that spider finally go down the drain. And if you did, then fine I don't really give a fuck what you didn't get out of the movie because I was immensely satisfied with watching Connie finally get taken down after all the pain he caused.

Bump

It's an inferior urban version of Hell or High Water that is barely "good" with a ton of flaws, horrible dialogue and a paper thin plot that isn't taken advantage of properly given the potential of the context in which the events begin that make it unique but fizzle out almost immediately.