Did he have to kill fredo?

Did he have to kill fredo?

Some things are unforgivable.

As per mafia eugenics Fredo was retard

Fredo turned

Obviously

I thought he said he wasn't going to get mixed up in his father's business?

They pulled him back in

He could've just disowned him

He betrayed the family.

No he was just being an edgelord

Fredo's idiocy and lack of guile almost cost Michael his wife and child. Of course he had to die.

>Fredo later betrays Michael when approached by Johnny Ola (Dominic Chianese), an agent of rival gangster Hyman Roth (Lee Strasberg), during the negotiation of a business deal between Roth's organization and the Corleone family. Ola and Roth claim that Michael is being particularly difficult in the negotiations, and Fredo secretly agrees to aid them in exchange for compensation; the film never reveals what specific assistance Fredo provides Ola and Roth against Michael, or what he receives in return. In any event, Roth's men use this information to make an attempt on Michael's life at Michael's home.

>While in Havana negotiating with Roth, Michael realizes that Fredo is the family traitor he had been looking for. Despite twice telling Michael that he had never met Ola, Fredo drunkenly lets slip that they had met in Havana earlier that year. Michael confronts Fredo later, giving him the kiss of death and telling him, "I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!" In the ensuing fray after dictator Fulgencio Batista's flight from Fidel Castro's rebel army, Michael pleads with Fredo to come with him, but a frightened Fredo runs away. He is eventually tracked down and convinced to return home.

You tell me.

Fredo proved a threat.

I believe Michael would have given him a pass, but when he heard from Fredo's own mouth about being passed over from their father's decision and the petty insecurities that came with it...

Too much of a liability to keep him around. You have to look past family ties to see the threat of an individual.

the movie never implies what Fredo did for Roth and Ola but the outcome does not appear what he wanted to happen (the attempt on his life at the house)

>He could've just disowned him
>"Fredo, you're nothing to me now."

What do you think he meant by this? Besides, I think it was more a matter of honour than solely being practical. Anybody who wants to take a persons life should not be surprised when he tries to return the favour.

I think it's not so much that Fredo was easily manipulated by Roth that pissed Michael off so much but that Fredo fled from him in fear.

Had he gone with Michael I don't think Michael would have killed him. Just gave him a stern talking to about ALWAYS putting the family first.

Remember Michael loved Fredo, even though he was effectively an idiot simpleton. Why do you think he wouldn't let Moe Green slap him around?

No, Fredo running proved to Michael that he was and would always be a liability. An achilies heel to get to Michael. So he had to die.

The interesting part though is him telling his buttonman that nothing was to happen to Fredo while his mother was alive. Because he didn't want her to have to outlive 2 sons and a husband.

Women will never understand or appreciate this movie. Especially this scene.

>Why do you think he wouldn't let Moe Green slap him around?
because it reflected poorly on Michael and made the family look weak

Fredo would have found a way to sabotage him, fuck things up for him, even have him killed. Never underestimate a pathetic, bitter angry little shit who knows all about your business. People can do a hell of a lot of damage if they're not bound by intelligence or logic, if their anger outweighs their self-preservation, or if they feel they have nothing to lose

The mafia "code" states you put your "family" before your family. There is a weird tension with gangsters between doing whatever they want (or think they can get away with) and having to play lip service to a higher code. At that point Michael didn't have any good options. He could have let him live, but the attempt on his life was too public and gangsters gossip like teenagers. Especially amongst their own. It would have injured Michael's leadership and maybe even invited another betrayal.
Waiting until his mother was dead not only saved Michael from having to see her realise the decision he made was ultimately pragmatic but also would be seen as both 'respectful' and 'cunning' by his peers. The italians in general and Sicilians specifically are animals and as such want nothing more than to appear civilized and intelligent.

people like fredo, they have no idea, they involve you in their shit, and then people come around to kill you because of things fredo did in your name

no matter how much time, effort and money you pour into people like fredo, they are so stupid that they will always destroy everything you have tried to help them with and they will destroy everything that you build unless you end their career

FAKE NEWS! Al Neri did it, not Michael. He's innocent.

I'm glad the RICO act and witness protection have largely gotten rid of these degenerate gamers.

*gangsters

No. That's kind of the point.

The whole story is about how Michael sets out to protect his family, and only succeeds in destroying both it and himself.

>Too much of a liability to keep him around. You have to look past family ties to see the threat of an individual.
And to add to that Michael knew his own vision would be obscured by the family ties. He knew that he couldn't look at him objectively which made him an even bigger threat. It was his own weakness as well that made it necessary.

>The Godfather had a different ending. Coppola originally wanted Michael to remove Don Vito's head and put it on himself, proclaiming, "Now I am the Godfather."

while making some sweet cash money though

good thing Coppola didn't follow the book script super closely though, or else a third of the first Godfather film would have been about Lucy Mancini's vagina.

is that the best old age make-up of all time?

I mean... jesus fucking christ, compare that to a modern film.

>what kinda cut you want
>you know what testicles look like?
>say no more

He was a murdering and cold-blooded mafia head. He didn't have to, he wanted to.

putting that shit in his cheeks made him look like he had a stroke but of course that still looks way better than the Prometheus makeup that looked exactly like what it actually was, some shit smeared on the face of a young actor.

Just realized that Brando's idea with the cotton balls in his mouth was genius, it makes his lower jaw look wider and therefore his cheeks more hollow, like, you know, an old man.

Pierce's makeup looks just plastered on top of a young face.

Michael is always telling that bullshit excuse that everything is just business and not personal, but the reality is that everything is personal to him. He killed Fredo because he felt injured, nothing more.

Even more genius when you realize no one can replicate that effect without being called a hack fraud thief

>only have to age Brando 10-15 years

>have to age Guy Pierce 80-90 years

no wonder one looks better than the other

It wasn't just idiocy it was treason.

wow, looks like hari sheldon

fredo molestered him, was revenge

(not him) true but he loved him too.
Fredo was the only one that encouraged Michael choices before-mafia, like being a soldier.

>The italians in general and Sicilians specifically are animals
Ma vaffanculo

Would a Netflix Godfather series be kino or blasphemous?

Fredo had already gone against the Family when he initially took sides with Moe Greene in Godfather 1 and he was warned by Michael then, never betray the Family again. And then he did. What was Michael supposed to do? He had to whack Fredo.

probably a pile of shit

the story is good but not why the movies are so revered

>Had he gone with Michael I don't think Michael would have killed him
I don't really agree. There is no level of forgiveness in those movies

>Would a Netflix series be kino or blasphemous?
What do you think? Has Netflix made anything good since the first season of house of cards?

No the whole second movie was pointless.

Beyond that he didn't need to kill him but it was a hacky way of showing how different he was to Vito. Vito built his empire to provide for his friends and his family and Michael built his empire at the expense of his friends and family.

Fredo was weak enough to be used by the enemy so he killed him, Tom was questioning him so he shit on their friendship by insulting him with a "with me or against me" ultimatum.

Forgive one offense and you encourage another.

If Fredo had went to Michael or Tom in the immediate aftermath to confess that his actions had played a role in the assassination attempt, Michael would have likely disowned and far from the family, but alive.

Instead Fredo hid it for months from Michael. He didn't own up and Michael felt he had to make an example of disloyalty, that no one was above the laws of the family.

Tom was Michael's moral compass, and when Tom was sent off to handle the government investigations, Miochael had no one to talk him down from his impulse.

First season of bloodline, first season of stranger things, first season of narcos

I've seen all of those and none of them were good.

I think michael's whole arc is about how it's sad and lonely at the top--and even your family betrays you...

Michael's brother was betrayed by their brother in law.

Michael was betrayed by his sister, brother, wife, and some of his men as well.

etc etc.

House of Cards wasn't really original either. They have some good shows just no classics. Lots of 7/10s

Weinstein was supposed to be producing a mob show based on Puzo's book Omerta with Sly as the boss. Probably not happening now

No, Fredo was smart, Fredo was stepped over. Michael should have helped his brother out from the loss of face he suffered beind sidelined in the family hierarchy.
Fredo would never have gone into risky back dealings trying to regain some self-respect if he was properly taken care of (not killed) within the family.

>House of Cards wasn't really original either.
Well it is literally a remake.
I didn't call it original, just that it was quality television.

Because Fredo was a slimy back stabbing fuck who was also retarded so he brought it all on himself

Is bloodline the worst example of all time of a great first season show turning to shit

>all time of a great first season show
no