Will E!SPN failing finally save us from the mouse?

Will E!SPN failing finally save us from the mouse?

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/andyswan/2017/10/11/espns-politics-are-killing-its-brand/
nytimes.com/2015/12/22/business/dealbook/at-disney-a-dark-force-looms-large-unbundling.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Disney are finished

Disney could probably hang onto ESPN forever and do just fine even if it stayed well into the red. I hate to say it but Disney is too powerful for one thing alone to tank them. They'll just sell ESPN at some point and Disney will buy some properties from Fox for a hefty sum that pays itself back in a few years. They'll be well on their way to buying every last piece of the entertainment industry, they'll even buy back ESPN someday. Netflix and Hulu will be bought by them and rolled into their Disney streaming service. This is the future and 100% of everything entertainment-related will be Disney, unfortunately.

somebody do something please

By 2020 people will be getting sick of endless capeshit and star wars reboots as the only major blockbusters
Then Avatar 2 will come and gross 5 billion dollars, BTFOing Disney eternally
Screencap this

>ESPN - Politics
>failing
gee, i wonder why

Honestly I don't think the general audience will ever truly tire. If they do, it will take a lot longer than 2020, think 2026 or 2030.

You're delusional, Cameron. Your movie is going to flop hard.

There you go again assuming that Avatar has that kind of staying power (it doesn't).

Fuck off monopolies are a good thing that way I can get all my entertainment in the one place.

Literally all they had to do was show sports, have talented enough anchors to give you hints of insight so that the viewer could get emotionally invested in the athletes.

You turn on ESPN and it’s a bunch of anchors hogging the camera blabbering on about shit that I don’t know about because Jesus Christ what type of nerd has the time to learn about anyone besides a star athlete?

Is true that ESPN is political preaching now? It should a sport network, how did Disney screw that up?

forbes.com/sites/andyswan/2017/10/11/espns-politics-are-killing-its-brand/

Wrong board. Gtfo

what?

I'm sorry but it's actually very relevant? You can dial down the paranoia a bit.

yeah for $80 a month

Yeah my normie friends who claim they are introverts and nerds despite having 40+ friends and attending events on Facebook and actually going to them all go and watch every Marvel movie on release day.

It's leaning left helped but honestly package pricing instead of being able to do ala cart is what really hurt it. They forced cable companies to bundle all of their shitty channels into main packages which force everything to be 4 to 10 dollars higher depending on the area.

That's just Disney alone doing that and you can't turn it down, which they then bundle into what you really need, your internet. Because they bundle it all lower so that you'll take it all to get lower price point.

Disney fucked themselves.

ESPN has added over 25 billion in liabilities to Disney. No one would buy it and even if they spun it off, Disney would still be on the hook for a lot of the money.

Wasn’t ESPN responsible about 50% of Disney profits? What the hell happened.

memes aside, tv is dying in general, the politics thingy was just they being desperate and trying anything for ratings, which obviously didn't work

Pretty much this. Television is dying, at least in terms of people forking over for hundred dollar plus cable packages, which is how Espn got new viewers.

Now with internet and steaming, it destroyed market for it. Internet has become the great devourer and like newspapers, tv will have to find a new place in the world, or a niche

It's about 1/3 of their total revenue. Television programs in general are about half

Do those teenage sitcoms really make that much money?

ESPN became too political.

A few things.

1. Everytime someone "cuts the cord" ESPN loses ~six dollars a month in revenue directly from fees. (not including ad revenue issues)

2. ESPN saw Fox and NBC spend big money setting up sports networks, so they spent billions buying up key rights for huge sums.

3. ESPN has done a ton of damage to its brand by becoming a political channel, when the charm was that sports was a-political. (Same reason why the NFL is getting killed)

So ESPN has 25-30 billion in promised fees and rapidly declining revenues. Disney stockholders are worried that in 2018 or 2019 ESPN will be in the red.

At this point, it doesn't matter what marvel does, and they are trying to buy with stock stuff like fox to get enough revenue to pay off the ESPN cost.

>Mr. Greenfield is especially worried about earnings in 2017 and beyond, when he believes the cord cutting may push Disney to pursue an à la carte subscription offering, given that 44 percent of the company’s profits currently come from cable television.
nytimes.com/2015/12/22/business/dealbook/at-disney-a-dark-force-looms-large-unbundling.html

Yes also they own ABC so Kimmel crying and shows about black people do make that much money

Disney TV includes
Disney Channel
ABC
ESPN
All Star Wars shows
All Marvel Shows

and so on.

One reason why they announced more star wars was that the TV unit is doing so badly. Disney also canceled a animated movie.

Long term contracts caused them to up per user cost billed to cable carriers causing carriers to start offering sportsless packages and turning other consumers off with increased total cable bills. Since more content is now available straight over internet on a la Carte basis this compounded people dropping cable and that 25 bucks or more per subscription fee that makes ESPNs main revenue (even over advertising, especially since millenials watch less sports than earlier generations and ratings fall).

So basically it was the Longhorn Network to blame. It also ruined the Big 12 and tu football program though, so there's a silver lining.

>pay $70 for basic tv and high speed internet
>or pay $40 more for basic tv with ESPN network

not a hard choice. I'd rather watch online streams than pay an extra $480 a year for sports.

> muh mouse boogeyman
brainlet OP showing his lack of understanding

this is the problem facing ALL the big entertainment companies

streaming is KILLING them. this is why warner has no problem spreading it's asscheeks for at&t to buy them out. you have to increase your revenue streams, and at&t is the backdoor to hundreds of millions of phones and tablets with hundreds of million screens and users to show your content

much better take here from this user disney is in a unique situation because espn is a big deal for them and just bleeding out uncontrollably, it has less to do with politics like Sup Forums would want you to believe and much more to do with the culture of getting our information through our phones, twitter, etc instantly

back in the 90s espn dominated because you'd turn on sportscenter to see the big trades, scores, headlines, news of the day, but why would i wait til 6pm to do that now when i can just follow @sports_reporter_sport_of_my_choice

the internet was the asteroid, and only now we're starting to see the nuclear fallout

I am the user from Cord cutting is hurting ESPN more then political ESPN, but political ESPN makes it much easier for people to cut the cord as ESPN was the comfy TV for a lot of people.

Doesn't help that they are trying to be young and hip when they should be getting the old folks who will continue to buy TV happy. I had a side job of setting up streaming packages for folks who didn't understand streaming and political ESPN made me tons of money as I would set up the internet and streaming boxes for baby boomers who where sick and tired of ESPNs shit.

But most have other places to get revenue from

The main issue disney has is that ESPN has committed 30 billion dollars in TV rights.

If Warner decided that TNT needed to go, they only have 1-2 years of law and order commitments.

yeah sports broadcasting rights aren't cheap

40% of disney's profits are cable tv, and eventually espn will hit a level of red where it is costing disney more

the funny part is the big 4 north american sports are realizing this too and turning to streaming on their own. the nfl partnered with amazon this season for thursday night streaming

either big broadcast companies like espn, nbc, cbs, fox are not going be showing sports in the future or more than likely, the nba, nfl, nhl, mlb, nascar, etc will have their own dedicated streams at a cheaper cost because the bubble is bursting

if the former happens, it'll be because the sports will still demand laughable billion dollar contracts, we're already in the later right now with their own streaming, but the primary revenue is still a declining television, younger generations don't give a fuck about tv, it's all about on-demand. but live sports will make that trickier to cater towards

>It's about 1/3 of their total revenue.
No shit? Thats a shocker to me. Disney has a huge revenue stream I didn't expect anything to eat up a piece that size.

>talking about politics on a sports channel

they dug their own grave, NFL will be dead soon too these professional athlete faggots get paid too much money anyways

>Titanic will tank. Just watch!
>uh oh Avatar sounds like a huge flop. Hope it gets 500 million at best!

>younger generations don't give a fuck about tv
Not just television, but sports in general. The median age of people watching any given NFL game has been getting older and older every year.

jesus christ you gaffers are touchy

The next round of contract negoations will be curious, as most likely the price paid for the TV rights will go down. This means that the players will get less money, which means that there will be labor strife.

NFL might get that since the players are deep sixing themselves.

I don't know, do star wars and marvel movies still print money? Do droves of mouth breathing morons still tune into Shonda Rimes' shows on ABC every week? Yes? Then they'll never die.

Disney will need two billion dollar movies a year to cover the expected ESPN losses from 2020-2025

Dude when disney drops their streaming service there's a possibility they could be indited by the FED on monopoly charges.

Until then, enjoy the ride, because netflix about to get buttfucked.

I don't think you understand how big ESPN is, their revenue means more than the movies and the parks PUT TOGETHER for Disney

>This is a modern sports network

Wait WHAT the actual fuck?

Welcome to modern sports where everything is politicized.

How the fuck is this even remotely related to the sports? Was a player involved?!? Was it right outside a stadium?

Nope

Nope. Just that ever since that Mestizo QB kneeled, sports journalism has become all about race.