Why do people claim this is a good movie while trashing otker slashers like Friday the 13th?

Why do people claim this is a good movie while trashing otker slashers like Friday the 13th?

It has better directing than F13 but that's about it. The acting sucked apart from JLC, weak killer presence, the story is just that there is a killer on the loose, his story is never explained, he is evil just because, no resolution he just runs away at the end etc.

I'm not saying that Friday is good, but you can't say one is good while trashing the other. Both are bad but fun movies.

>Why do people claim this is a good movie while trashing otker slashers like Friday the 13th?
Because Sean Cunningham tried to make his own Halloween after watching it?

>It has better directing than F13 but that's about it.
Not really, no.

>Both are bad but fun movies.
Both are good movies and paragons of their genre.

I think Friday the 13th had better sequels than Halloween
The remake's better too

>weak killer presence
False, his presence is handled expertly. Part of the fun is how he appears out of nowhere and is always standing somewhere far away, barely visible.
>the story is just that there is a killer on the loose
You don't need more.
>his story is never explained
It makes him more scary when he's an unknown entity.
>he is evil just because
He was intended to be evil incarnate. It works since he's a blank slate.
>no resolution he just runs away at the end etc.
Which, again, makes him scary as fuck. He could be anywhere.

Halloween does not hold up by today's standards. The script is pure garbage filled with ridiculous coincidences that, if included in a modern film, would be ridiculed. The dialogue / acting is trash and the characters are absolute fucking morons. The only thing that holds up is the directing and score. It gets street cred for being one of the first of it's kind, rightfully so, but that's literally the only way you can enjoy the movie nowadays, if you go into it forgiving it's overwhelming flaws just because it was one of the first slashers.

The first Halloween is great but it has the weakest and least fun franchise for sure

I don't think anyone will ever try to argue the sequels were any good.

The Friday films had much better sequels, the first Friday film is no where near close to the best in the franchise, but the first Halloween is clearly the best, and none of the Friday films have the directing expertise of Carpenter. Although they are a lot more fun to watch, Halloween's moments give me goosebumps along with the score backing it up seeing the shape, in contrast wear when I see Jason putting on the mask and picking up the spear when he looks at the camera with lightening in the back makes me say FUCK YEAH Jason, two different feels.

Thats where you're wrong kiddo. Halloween II is pretty good, Halloween III is freaking fun as fuck to watch, and Halloween IV and V have their moments.

Halloween is up there with TCM and The Exorcist as far as horror movies go. Friday the 13th is just a cheap imitation and thats all it will ever be.

Friday the 13th has a better ration than that.

Watched this at halloween after like 20years.
It doesnt carry its weight anymore. Im absolutly sure it will work to someone who has never seen a horror movie before and/or watches it from a shitty VHS tape in the dark (like i did when i was young).
Directing and the look are amazing but there's nothing else that carries the movie.

>Michael should've had a more complex backstory!
>the film should've had a resolution!
You're an idiot who completely missed the point of the film. Halloween is all about suspense and playing with the audience's paranoia. The idea that a lunatic could come to your neighborhood, stalk you, and kill you, is scary.
Halloween is better than the vast majority of slashers. Most slashers only care about gore and sex whereas Halloween focuses on atmosphere and suspesen. Every film has coincidences, the acting/dialogue is fine, the characters make stupid mistakes but I would argue Laurie is the only one who acts straight-up retarded.

Halloween has better suspense and a better scarier score. There was no other motive for Michael Myers in the original outside of being a human form of pure evil.

Friday the 13th is a cash grab on what Halloween did but with more blood and higher death count. The motives of the killer are known when she revealed them.

Halloween sequels: mostly ruined by making Michael killing because it was killing his family and then added on some occult bullshit. In Halloween 2 when it is revealed that Jamie Lee Curtis is Michael's sister there is no way he could have known that in the first film.

Friday the 13th sequel: Obvious that the killer was killed in the first so they just said fuck continuity and make her dead son actually be a live and then this killer who apparently lived in the woods forever and did not come out to reach his mother.

Best Halloween sequel: 4

Best F13 sequel: 3

Because it's better directed and better acted, you anwered yourself, are you retarded?

I hate how they made Michael Myers bigger and stronger in the sequels.

>acting sucked apart from JLC
>in a Donald Pleasence movie
Also the girl who played Annie was charming

There's more to movies than that.

Part of the problem is that most slashers after Halloween were pretty much ripping off Halloween. It doesn't seem quite as good in hindsight because the things it does have become cliche now from overuse.

I hate to get nerdy, but that's what happened to Earthbound.

Bunch of rip offs come out (Undertale, LISA), now everyone acts like Earthbound isn't anything special anymore.

>the story is just that there is a killer on the loose
>his story is never explained
>he is evil just because
>no resolution he just runs away at the end

Sorry, what were your complaints about this?

It scared me when I was 6 years old.

Rewatched it when I was in my early teens, and I thought it was boring and shitty - but I WANTED to like it. I wanted to like it because it was supposedly this brilliant horror classic which started an entire genre of which I was a fan of.

But then, a few years later, I just started being honest: Halloween fucking SUCKS. It's boring, it's dated as fuck, the kills are shit, Jamie Lee Curtis is annoying and Annie looks like she's in her early thirties at least which is completely distracting.

Halloween II was better. And Halloween III is fucking kino.

>It makes him more scary when he's an unknown entity.
>He was intended to be evil incarnate. It works since he's a blank slate.
>Which, again, makes him scary as fuck. He could be anywhere.

You've made every point I wanted to make in response to this reprobate. Shake my hand, good sir.

Halloween is THE slasher movie. It might be the most ripped off film there ever was.

Donald Pleasence didn't do shit in the movie and didn't really need to be included

>>weak killer presence
>False, his presence is handled expertly. Part of the fun is how he appears out of nowhere and is always standing somewhere far away, barely visible.
it's fun when he's staring from a distance but he's not at all threatening when he's actually attacking people
someone said it's on the same level as tcm but that's leagues ahead and actually pretty terrifying

Not really complaining, I'm just pointing out that it is not much above Friday the 13th in terms of writing and acting. You can still argue that it is better than F13, but there isn't enough of a gap to call one a masterpiece and the other trash.

Never said it was acted better.

I always though that he came back from the dead to avange his mother. I know it was never stated in the movies but him surviving a fatal axe wound to the head made me think he was more than a mere mortal.

Also, what makes you like 3 more than 4?

Hah, yeah. He spends the latter half of the movie in a bush before he realizes that Myers' car is parked right next to him.

>but he's not at all threatening when he's actually attacking people

How so? He's incredibly efficient in his kills. The movie simply doesn't sensationalize it with cinematic gaze or play up the gore. It's more down to Earth and real, which is why it's effective. Part of the appeal of Halloween is how it's so shoestring and cheaply made that ot feels like it could happen to you. Like Michael could be standing in a dark corner of the room, waiting to stab you.

>It makes him more scary when he's an unknown entity.
He is not an unknown entity, though. He just doesn't have a motive.

>False, his presence is handled expertly. Part of the fun is how he appears out of nowhere and is always standing somewhere far away, barely visible.
He just isn't a match for Jason's menacing presence.

>it's fun when he's staring from a distance but he's not at all threatening when he's actually attacking people
someone said it's on the same level as tcm but that's leagues ahead and actually pretty terrifying
Agreed.

>that spacing
>that dramatic capitalization
>that taste
you go girl!

there was hardly any gore in texas chainsaw massacre yet that was way more effective in making leatherface terrifying

Less is more.

>Stop Dancing.

TCM had more overt macabre elements in it to make everything more scary.

>never said the acting was better
>>The acting sucked apart from JLC
She's the lead and in this kind of movie she's the onyl one that matters, and Donald Poeasance gave and apropriate over the top performance and is a classic character, so shut the fuck up, fucking retard. Get your criticisms straight.

I like the moment when he is unmasked for just a second. He just looks like a normal guy, besides the eye Laurie poked out. When his mask is off, it's almost like he has lost all his power.

Yeah, the time these movies were released should be considered befre watching these movies today. I had high expectations for Halloween but it bore me to death. I guess I would like it if it was the first slasher I have ever seen. But it isn't.

Same for A Nightmare on Elm Street. Freddy too annoying and talks too much to be scary imo.

For Friday the 13th I had zero expectations so I ended up liking it enough to watch the sequels and I found them much better than the 1st. I think they get better up until part 6 (not counting A New Beginning).

Never said there wasn't, you idiot, what does that have anying to do with my reply? The OP said why Halloween is considered better and yes, it's because it's a John Carpenter film with classic characters.

Because it was the first of its kind. People watching it retroactively in 2017 aren't going to enjoy it because they've seen slasher staples so many times before that it doesn't seem like anything new or interesting. But at the time, it was.

Can you please tell me how saying that '' apart from JLC the acting sucked'' translates into ''Halloween had better acting than Friday the 13th'' in your head? They both had 1 or 2 decent actors and a bunch of crappy ones.

Friday had Betsy Palmer that put a better performance than anyone in Halloween. She gave me the creeps, might be creepier than Michael and Jason himself.

Wrong, I've seen it during summer for the first time and absolutely loved it. Everyone interested in the medium can appreciate it on its merits for the time and what it spawned, for better or worse.

I laff every time a plebeian retard says something fucking stupid then follows it up with DUH ACTING and DUH ENDING and DUH STORY

If you understand and appreciate the art of film making, Halloween absolutely holds up because it relies on atmosphere and tension building over kills and tits like F13 does.

Nah, Friday is a shit Pyscho/Halloween knock off, run of the mill slasher which doesn't have the fun and self awareness of later Friday films to carry it. Nobody gives a shit about the first one, the fact that everyone thinks Jason is the killer in all the Friday films is enough to prove that, it's only memorable as movie trivia and that it had Kevin Bacon in one of his first movie roles. Anything good the franchise has comes after the first one.

Well, I didn't mean people who actually think about what they're watching, who know a bit of the context, and whatever. I just mean more generally the people flicking through Netflix or whatever who stick it on and then can't understand why people like it so much. Basically, I think to enjoy it you need to have an appreciation for horror films in general and to actually try to engage with it a little.

And yeah, Halloween does suspense masterfully.

That's just simply wrong, unless you go watching movies with the mind of a capeshitter.

Having seen so many slasher movies, these serious classics don't do anything for me. So I prefer Friday the 13th series, because they are campy fun. I don't watch them to get scared, I watch them to see a cool killer butcher a bunch of dumb people.

But who would win a fight? Mike or Jason?

Friday the 13th loses lots of points for ripping off Halloween. The director of F13 even admitted to it,

In the credits he is credited as The Shape. We knownhe was Michael Myers but the movie makes it clear he is something else, something inhuman, evil incarnate, you can't have that with motive. That's also the point of the ending, that not even getting shot six times killed him.
In Friday you have Mrs, Voorhees, which is just a lame crazy lady seeking revenge, Jason is just a turbo autist killing roasties and chads. Jason is cooler, but Michael Myers is way scarier. The main difference between the franchises is that you root for Jason to win.

can you tell who is the director or any F13 movie without google? No? then that's your answer

>Because it was the first of its kind.
but it's not

He's there to explain Michael, you fool. He's the Van Helsing of the Halloween/modern monster franchises. As a matter of fact, initially Carpenter wanted Peter Cushing to play Dr. Loomis, but he was too expensive due to having recently appeared in Star Wars.

>The main difference between the franchises is that you root for Jason to win.
True. I see your point, I'm sure Michael would scare me if I watched it younger, and not in my 20's.

How was it a rip-off exactly, apart from being boh slasher movies? Not disagreeing with you, I'm just very familiar with the Halloween series. It sure was made to cash in on the slasher popularity after Halloween, but the first Friday one seems like a reverse version of Psycho. Also the ''killer in the woods'' trope had a lot of influence on the genre, so Friday was very influential, too.

>very familiar with the Halloween series
i meant not very

I hate the Friday movies, but I think the first movie is different enough that it isn't just a rip off.

Besides, Black Christmas did it first and it's still way creepier than Halloween.

because it was first (and that's not even true)

Sean Cunningham is well known among horror fans

I enjoy both and don't really get people shitting on Halloween.

Are you excited for the new Halloween movie in 2018 starring JLC?

Isn't it retconning 2? For whatever stupid reason.

So Michael will be an old dude?

It's an acclaimed film (much more so then any other slasher) so when brianlets see it Thunking it will be an epin movie they shit on it . It relies too much on subtext and atmosphere for the average modern viewer, who consumes capeshit every other week, to understand why it's good.