Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/chrxstianslater/status/929088546320846849
poal.me/tyaist
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/88225780/
boredpanda.com/80s-knitted-sweater-fashion-wit-knits/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

twitter.com/chrxstianslater/status/929088546320846849

All kicking off again

What's an underrated Capaldi episode in your opinion?

Mine is Girl Who Died. I think people got too hype because it had both Jamie Mathieson and Moffat. No episode could live up to that. But it's actually a really fun episode. 12 is hilarious in it so is Odin. I think everyone should give it a rewatch.

Uh, depends. Classic-Who is probably Curse of Fenric or The War Games, Audio is Night Thoughts or Red and New-Who is probably something like Dalek or Listen.

What about you?

>What's an underrated Capaldi episode in your opinion?
The Fires of Pompeii

Anything that isn't off-beat for the sake of off-beat. Things that subtly complement how the actor creates the character, instead of trying to tell its own independent story before they've even begun shooting.

Davison's celery, Colin's rainbow coat, McCoy's question marks, each of these was a gimmick - the costume design trying to announce itself, which always ends up just being tacky. All they say is "Isn't Dr Who a weird bloke!"
Contrast with Smith's bow tie, Tennant's shoes, or Eccleston's war jacket - each one is eccentric fashion in its own way, but they are each instantly readable as suggesting a certain type of person or way of being. They give us real information about the nuances of the character, by casually playing off our pre-existing expectations of clothing.
(I'm not including 12 here because his style in general is so advanced and flexible it doesn't even fit into this discussion.)

Viewed from this angle, certain elements of Whittaker's costume work for me and others seem to lean towards the gimmick category.
The multiple ear piercings? Surprisingly, totally fine. Actually quite revealing.
The boots and strong blue socks? Fine.
The coat itself is fine, but the weird not-quite-rainbow strip on them seems like "unique garment!" frippery.

Where it loses me is the particular choices of shirt and suspended trousers. Even in the concept art (which is far better looking than the real deal - mainly because the trousers look a bit creased and workmanlike, instead of the smooth wall we see in the photo) it's difficult to make sense of. Maybe I'm just a fashion pleb, but it seems like it's actively trying to frustrate any guesses as to why she'd wear it.

I've loved Under the Lake/Before the Flood since it aired.

Kek

The entirety of Children of Earth desu

Where is this so called concept art people are talking about?

The Thick of It Episode #2.1

Reminder

poal.me/tyaist
poal.me/tyaist
poal.me/tyaist

To be honest, anons, BTFO me quite properly - the user is right and I was arguing from a point of ignorance and not thinking properly on the subject. I apologise for this.

I quite like the trousers.

Will the master be female again?
And will they be on the doctor's side now?
Who would you cast?

Where's this from though?

I think you are wrong.

Tbh I don't want the Master to appear for a while.

And when they do show back up I hope they're back to their old tricks, I'd perfer a man, but I don't really care either way.

You need a high IQ to understand it.

I'm with you on Girl Who Died. I've always thought that ep was great fun, and "comfy silly romp (with some dark bits)" done right in a way that Gatiss can only dream of. I fucking love love love the resolution where they embarrass the baddies. The gritty, unpleasant look of the whole thing, and the scenes where 12 gets serious, only add to it.

At the end of the day, if the only major complaint hinges on knowledge of electric eel habitats, you're safe in my book. I know it's not fashionable to say, but Maisie Williams did a good job too.

I re-iterate on this point that what Whovians are missing is that its a costume designed more around the needs of its stakeholders, in this case little girls who want to run around pretending to have adventures.

This is why it looks a bit incongruous actually, its a grown woman dressed as a child but still, the right call I think.

Saving Dr Who for the kids is a hill I'd gladly die on. They forgot about this during the later run of Colin Baker and ultimately paid the price. Sylvester McCoy (who was chosen as he was well-known to British children from Vision On, Jigsaw and other Clive Doig shows) was an over-correction really and it was too late before he started for Grade.

It helps to understand Dr Who if you see it not as a 'cult' fanwank phenomenon but as a British cultural mainstay.

The costume designer

Some comic artist's Twitter, he deleted it a few hours after he posted it.

The original post he made was basically 'hey, this is what the original costume looked like, all of the clothing was tailored just for the show!'

What might be nice is that, if and when the Master comes back, and if they want to keep it a surprise, it won't be obvious for viewers cos we won't know whether to be looking out for a male or female when suspecting actors.

Not the costume designer, but an artist whose job was to help visualise it. The tweet got deleted AFAIK.

It's easy to understand, and that's the problem. It's the cheapest, most predictable route, additionally telegraphed miles ahead. It's not smart.

It's a fake-out for fake-out sake. Doctor acts not because there's some clever reason, but because he knows that he will act like this in the future.

The official concept artist tweeted then deleted it cause he wasn't mean to show it yet.

>little girls

They obviously made the costume as gender neutral as possible to appeal to both boys and girls.

I liked Maisie too I actually think she did a pretty good job in all of her episodes.

I wish The Master had been female in classic Who because that'd have been the only time when it'd have been OK to cast Jacqueline Pearce as the Female Master.

And yes before you ask, I am.

It had a good supporting cast, solid tension, memorable scenes and dialogue. That's why I liked it.

Kids like to dress up as the Doctor because it's the Doctor, not because the Doctor dresses in a childlike way.

But from this perspective, I hope they only plan on keeping "coat + t-shirt + braces + trousers" as the essence of the look and are willing to vary the specific items, just to actually make it more flexible for the kids.

I feel like Ashlidr would've been liked more if she wasn't played by Quasimodo

>When I close my eyes there's screams n shit
What?

Why is everyone bullying my man Chadam Orfo

dime dar

>And yes before you ask, I am.

you are..... what?

I like her. Maisie Williams is rather average looking, but she's famous and fame is attractive.

Her appearances past the first one were rather weak though.

I shouldn't have put that in there, don't worry about it. I was being really self-aggrandizing.

t. Nilso

A boardie

I think they've shown since it came back that they are prepared to vary the costume a bit if it isn't working but to, as you suggest, retain certain signature elements across them.

According to a woman I spoke to once (this doesn't happen often obviously) women think culottes (particularly ones leaning towards 'pedal pushers') are "fun but not sexy". My suspicion would be that this was pretty much the spec underlined three times at the top of someone's legal pad waved around at Beeb execs.

W-Who is "Nilso", user?

Do we think they're going to find anymore missing episodes from Classic Who?

Yeah, they'll find them in Phillip Morris's basement when he dies.

The missing Daleks stories are probably fucked but I keep hoping for The Macra Terror.

Maisie was wonderful.

Yeah, The Before The Flood 2-parter had a so-so mystery, and an under-utilized monster design in the Fisher King, but it developed its secondary characters well. When I think of that ep, it's the deaf captain I remember, not the mystery.

>When I think of that ep, it's the deaf captain I remember, not the mystery.
But do you remember her name, or anything about her other than her being deaf?

Different user, but she definitely stuck out in my head as one of the better actors in the episode, precisely because you could often tell what she was saying even though she doesn't speaking english

I didn't remember her name, but I didn't remember any of their names.

Off the top my head:

>she cared for her crew

>she was the most levelheaded of the crew

>she took action

>I remember the sequence with the ghost sneaking up on her

Flatline. It was executed poorly but it was a nice idea. I think they did it on the cheap, there is often a mid-series cheapo because they seem to struggle with financial management across the whole. In classic days it would have been a bottle episode.

The other woman that works at the base is also memorable, esp cause she's a clear would-be companion type and it's heartbreaking when she knows all about the Doctor and tries so hard to be like the type of person he'd travel with and then she ends up dying

Flatline's monster design is really fucking good and makes my teeth ache.

Some amazing visual effects in that one - like when the living room suddenly splats into 2D.

>Flatline
>Underrated
What? People love that episode.

I dunno. I think the only time I genuinely felt awful about a character like that dying was Lynda.

I don't hear it discussed much. Perhaps its like Prince, who always won "Underrated Guitarist" polls with such regularity it stopped making sense.

Lads I'm so pissed, I've gotta be at my dad's house tonight and I don't have my fucking drawing tablet and I was gonna do some art

What's /who/ with you?

And her would-be oyfriend is one of the few non-companion or non-UNIT characters to get to travel with Twelve, and has a pretty good criticism of him.

And Lund, Cass' translator, shows that he's willing to sacrifice himself for the team, and has some increased characterization by his unrequited love for Cass.

Considering the complex nature of this plot, it's pretty good that every character has some distinct character to them.

Underrated in the sense that Kill the Moon was the Non-Moffat episode people decided they wanted to hype up for that series I guess.

My mom really fucking hates thirteen's outfit, I showed it to her and she straight up started ranting about it

She was just as upset when thirteen was revealed too

I want her to keep watching the show with me, all my other friends talk constantly when we're not in a movie theater.

I rewatched "Prime Suspect 3" yesterday and didn't realize Peter Capaldi was the pre-op trannie.

It also had Ciaran Hinds (aka Ceaser) and David Thewlis (Varga from Fargo) and James Frain (Orphan Black and True Detective).

It's a song by The Beatles

Oh, how does it go?

>when we're not in a movie theater.

my mates and i go to the movies frequently at like 10pm on a monday, just so we're the only ones it the theatre and can take the piss out of it for the entire time.

maximum comfy 2bh

>/who/'s Christmas Space-Time Visualiser!

It's been as long since this thread until now as it is from now until Christmas:
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/88225780/

>Featuring:
>The CAAAAAAANCIL!
>Paul McGann erotica!
>Police boxes!
>The discovery of McGanon being a grill!
>Bad Who jokes!
>Colouring pages!

I like having a bad movie night or w/e. But it's so frustrating when you're trying to watch vvitch or something.

They can barely sit still for a whole marvel movie. I love them dearly but they're fucking hopeless.

That was such a good thread.

>but she's famous and fame is attractive.

Spoken like a true pleb.

>my posts as user on that thread kek

...I wish I hadn't just seen that image with my own two eyes

I liked it. I think it was pretty much the first comfy thread after that user whose mission was to get me banned stopped.

I'd forgotten that arc

Despite the influx of people coming here to argue about politics and Jodie's costume, I'd say we're currently in a much comfier era.

Chad doctors:
Based on costume alone probably 13 too

Virgin doctors:

Prove me wrong.

how long before he gets outed for being a pedo?

boredpanda.com/80s-knitted-sweater-fashion-wit-knits/

lads we have been blessed with a meme that has epic potential

It's only been a month, that does not count as an era.

Never because he's not an Americunt and not from the 80s.

>11
>Virgin

It already got taken down

Didn't 11 slap Clara's ass one time?

11 wasn't a virgin doctor, he couldn't fucking walk five yards without tripping into a minge and after S6 he was porking River every night.

What did he mean by this?

>8
>virgin
>the one Doctor who actually fucked someone in a story

He said underrated not overrated.

Can we get some actually funny ones now please

Getting pictures with all the cast is not worth looking like Christian Weston Chandler

Leave Mayor Christine alone!

As soon as you post one i'm sure

Oh look, a trip I didn't have filtered. Fixed.