Why Wolverine won't wear his iconic costume in LOGAN

>James Mangold: I always feel a certain contingent of fans who are yearning for it. But the biggest block I’ve had – I’m willing to take the heat for it – is that, I can never get past, being a writer for these movies as well, that Logan is the least narcissistic of all the superheroes, any kind I can think of – Marvel, DC or anywhere else. What I mean by that is, who puts a special branded outfit on when they do good deeds? And why? The only reason you do it is so you can have some sort of trademarked claim and get credit for what you did. Nothing seems less Wolverine-like than the desire to put on a trademarked outfit , particularly canary yellow, and kind of prance about doing good deeds and have people go, “Oh my God! It’s The Wolverine!” At least the Wolverine, as I see him, that’s a real struggle for me and always has been. I somehow feel that if somehow we ever put Hugh [Jackman] into one of those outfits, people would not be happy. Essentially, it’s something that lives on the page and I’m not sure could live anywhere else.

I'm sure Logan is great but this is an idiotic philosophy that lead to shit like Dudepeel happening in this mediocre franchise of films.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3BXP5XAkPt4
youtube.com/watch?v=EkRyP8bp0Io
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It would look like complete shit and like Mangold said it wouldn't fit at all with the Jackman characterization.

The only time they maybe could have pulled it off is the opening future sequence in Days of Future Past if they could make it look like some kind of body armor that served a purpse.

So, he doesn't understand superheroes? I mean, the whole point of the costumes was both: To have people recognize that mutants were helping them and build good rep for the group who a lot of people hate, and to keep the real identity of the mutant a secret from those who would hurt them.

How can he be so ignorant of the tropes of the genre?

You know he's right.

At this point, they're just being consistent with the film's universe. Nobody else really wears a specific uniform (except for the AoA mutants and Deadpool). It would be weird for Wolverine to just randomly show up in a costume NOW.
Fox fucked it all up in Fox 1, but at least they committed to that fuckup.

That's a really cynical way of looking at things, and frankly, it's never made much sense to me at all. I mean, sure, if you want to be "realistic" and psychoanalize these characters, then sure, the idea of wearing an iconic costume and having a well-known codename could be seen as narcissistic, but honestly, who fucking cares? You want to know the real reason superheroes wear costumes, the real, honest-to-God reason? It's because Siegel and Shuster were inspired by circus strongmen, then the colors came because during the printing process red, blue and yellow would stand out more. That's literally it, the colorful costumes are just there to appeal to children, there's no deep-seated psychological issues behind them or whatever. Stop being a pretentious oaf.

Also, brown and yellow > blue and yellow

>To have people recognize that mutants were helping them and build good rep for the group who a lot of people hate, and to keep the real identity of the mutant a secret from those who would hurt them.

The Jackman Wolverine is interested in neither of these and is even less itnerested in looking like a big banana

>Nobody else really wears a specific uniform
Iron Man
Spider Man
Deadpool
Hulk
Ant Man

What is this, the seventh movie with Wolverine in it? And in all those movies he has never worn the costume before. Audiences have never seen Hugh Jackman in the yellow get-up before, and you want to put him in it in this one? Of all his movies, you want him in spandex for this story?

It's ridiculous and you know it.

In the FoX-men universe, dipshit.

As someone who's never liked Wolverines costume, and finds it not only silly looking, but completely out of Logan's entire characterization... good. There's no way it can ever really look like something Logan would want to wear and its also very impractical. The colour scheme basically makes him a walking target and what the hell are those things on his head anyways? Ears? Headbands? They look so unnecessary and real wolverines don't even look like that. I'm always shaking my head whenever fans always bitch and moan about the movies never having the costume, and they bend over backwards to justify it not only being in the plot, but also it not being stupid and goofy looking "With a few adjustments."

It. Just. Doesn't. Work!

>with the film's universe

Only Deadpool is in the X-men's movie universe.

Fantastic 4

Actually he is completely and tottaly wrong.
Wolverine used the costume because it was something that allowed him to be part of something greater. To find a persona for himself instead of being just a slab of meat following orders.

If anything, following this logic of a character needing a personal reason to wear a costume, Wolverine is one of the few where it makes sense for him to do so. In partircular as part of the X-men.

In a solo movie with a older Wolvie, it's unnecessary baggage, but the claim was the author not getting it. He is wrong, even if his actions work.

I really do miss this costume. If Logan was alive in current comics, Im sure he'd be sporting the jacket as always. It doesnt really work for X23 in my opinion either. Is it doomed to fade away forever Sup Forums?

>director that doesn't read comics tries to psychoanalyze a comic book character

This movie is gonna be botched to shit.

They got erased when Days of Future Past happened

>Wolverine used the costume because it was something that allowed him to be part of something greater. To find a persona for himself instead of being just a slab of meat following orders.

Source? He wears the costume in his first appearance where he's just a slab of meat following orders.

I really hate to parrot the "give the rights back to Marvel!" meme but at least over at the MCU he'd wear an actual costume instead of the black leather shit FOX is known for. Actually come to think of it, just fork over Logan and have FOX keep the rest of the Mutants, theyre going to be using X23 from now on anyway. Logan's origin has enough wiggle room to integrate him in another universe, they just cant call him a mutant like with Wanda

Why is wearing the costume more important to you than making a good movie?

Outside of Apoc, Singer's X movies are better than anything MCU has produced and apparently Logan is a contender for GOAT

>Singer's X movies are better than anything MCU has produced
Pump the breaks there, sporto.

Good.
1. That costume is trash and looks ridiculous even by capeshit standards
2. Nothing about it would fit Logan's characterization or the tone if the movie.

Whoa there user, lets be honest, the majority of the X Men movies are passable at best (mostly because they all feel like the same fucking movie and barely anything progresses). And of course a good story is far more important than a costume, dont put words in my mouth.

>He doesnt like Logan's costume
Shit taste user

>That costume is trash and looks ridiculous even by capeshit standards
Fuck off Sup Forums. Spider-man's costume is 10x more ridiculous than any of the X-men yet it's able to be adapted properly.

MCU is fine for the spectacle of costumes and CGI robot fights and humor but in terms of quality of writing, performances, characters, etc. they have yet to produce anything on the level of a simple scene like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=EkRyP8bp0Io

Actually he's right

Running around in bright yellow is inherently more ridiculous than anything spider-man has ever worn.
And besides that Logan, not this one certainly, has no business running around in spandex.
>Sup Forums
Nigga please

>tacticool shit

Thinking like a uncreative jew executive, good goy!

Guys, come on. Not every drawing translates well to "real life." Especially when one of biggest hurdles cape movies have to overcome is convincing the audience to suspend their disbelief.

If you have any real experience with either medium you ought to be able to grasp this.

Deadpool is not even close to tacticool and is brightly colored with comic eyes.

Eat my dick.

why did you stop the storytimes ?

Deadpool is a totally/tonally different character from Wolverine.

Deadpool original costume is pretty taticool.

>Running around in bright yellow is inherently more ridiculous than anything spider-man has ever worn.
No it's not retard. Really think about what you're saying. A red and blue bodysuit with black webbing all over it and big white cartoon eyes is not less weird than yellow spandex. You like to fuck little boys like Singer does, faggot?

>Nigga please

You see there are differences between making a Deadpool movie and a Wolverine movie
>an insane person running around in brightly colored spandex
Not exactly hard to grasp user. .

If people are worried about the yellow they could have just used the brown and tan scheme.

>So, he doesn't understand superheroes?

The point is that their movie Wolverine isn't exactly going around looking for places to be a super hero. He mostly wants to be left alone.

he shouldn't wear the costume in Logan. it doesn't fit the tone of the movie at all.

>characters
Only if you like Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine, and [Mystique]. I bracket her name because she's basically not even Mystique in those films. Hopefully JLaw leaves the franchise.

Like, that's a good scene and all, but I don't think even the other X-films have been able to replicate or one up it. And most other cape films don't have the luxury of having Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart doing one on ones.

Spider-man is also, you know, an actual superhero not an angry homeless man running in the forest killing soldiers. A superhero costume fits one of those two scenarios.

Not to mention Deadpool's outfit is actually pretty standard, it's just a jumpsuit with a balaclava.

The design of Wolverine's outfit is far more impractical despite him ostensibly being a much more practical character.

This is a dumb thread, please have sex OP and get a clue

Any costume can "translate" to film just fine if they combine the right costume designers, right film techniques, and just have the people in-universe take themselves seriously.

Seriously I can't even tell how many times I've heard "[x] costume just doesn't work in real life" only for them to be proven wrong later. Deadpool is still the best example. People even said Iron Man wouldn't work once upon a time, though that seems crazy now because of just how well they pulled it off in that movie.

The problem is audiences who REFUSE to accept the people in the costumes not being silly. Maybe it's just because I've grown up with superhero costumes but I've never found them to be inherently silly like everyone says. TDKR is a very serious story that involves an old man in a Halloween costume with blue underpants but never did I find that to lessen my suspension of disbelief. Even Watchmen managed to not crack jokes about the costumes or take them lightly.

In my eyes, superheroes just wear costumes. Why? I don't really care, they just do. I guess that's the problem with movies, they have to appeal to people who don't have that ingrained belief.

The movie with people with ridiculous superpowers like metal claws and telekinesis.

Yet somehow costumes would make that goofy, implying it isn't already.

>The problem is audiences who REFUSE to accept the people in the costumes not being silly.
That's because it is completely fucking silly.

In defense of the Iron-man statement, can you imagine how ridiculous he would have looked if he had the sculpted abs and rollerskates?
It was a fantastic adaptation, don't get me wrong, but it could have been terrible in the wrong hands.

Would you faggots stop harping about what's "practical" in these stories about people fighting crime in pajamas

>fantastical elements means its already goofy
Don't be stupid.

If the movies taking inspiration from the Old Man Logan comics, why even bring up the costume?

But Wolverine wouldn't do that. He doesn't give a shit about being recognized and he doesn't give a shit about good rep. He's the best at what he does and he never needed a suit to advertise it.

With that said, a good writer would have made up some type of reason for him to wear the suit anyway. B/c muh-muh fanboys

Yes, that's exactly what it means, you idiot.

Ironic that costumes is the thing that goes "too far" in these movies with fantastical elements.

But I don't get how it's any sillier than anything else in an action movie. You have people jumping around shooting guns, you usually have soldiers in tight rubber armor that would never function correctly in real life, all kinds of sci-fi elements, robots that don't make any sense, it's all silly if you try to apply it to real life. I don't understand how the costumes are the breaking point for most people.

Even back when they were long past that stage people were saying it was going to look retarded, just the red and gold looked too silly. Even the Extremis armor before the movie armor was shown people said wouldn't work in real life.

It's brought up because it's still unknown whether Logan is that last time we see Jackman as Wolverine or not.

The thing is that the costumes must make sense in universe and have a reason for why the character choose to dress like that.

>In my eyes, superheroes just wear costumes. Why? I don't really care, they just do. I guess that's the problem with movies, they have to appeal to people who don't have that ingrained belief

I guess. I don't care for tacticool/practicool in the comics (unless that's like the point of a particular comic or character I guess) but I accept that they tend to avoid them in the movies. And I guess I'm okay with that, cause the first exposure I had to "super heroes" were the stories of the Greek heroes that my dad used to tell me before bed. Those guys had similar powers and performed similar feats to superheroes, but they didn't wear costumes. They just dressed in the manner that was appropriate.

So Deadpool gets a costume, awesome! Worked out really well for the movie they made. Wolverine is a little harder to sell on that front? Well, I guess I can understand that, especially given the history and audience that the movie version has built for the last 17 years.

It's just not a big deal to me. I still draw the characters in costume anyway and how I view these characters is way more important to me than how others view them. But their opinions are just as valid of course.

That said, it's weird to me how the self-professed comic fans are the ones that make the biggest stink about the movies. If you love the comics so much, why aren't they enough? Why do they have to be validated by a movie? And in a way that doesn't fit the medium of film, but only serves as a slavish recreation of what comics are already good at doing? I don't get the triggering and I haven't for the last 17 years since the yellow spandex joke.

I was obviously being facetious with the rollerskates, but turning him into a jet with less saturated colors really did wonders for him.

It depends entirely on the tone and the characters involved. If the movie fails to get the audience to suspend their belief/take it seriously it fails a big part of making a story work.

>Yes, that's exactly what it means, you idiot.
No. No it doesn't you moron. "Goofiness" has entirely to do with tone and tone has nothing to do with how much fantasy is involved.

Batman's outfit hasn't been plain spandex in years. It borders between body armor and infiltration suit now

That was the whole point, Wolverine didn't go around in costume just so he could be recognized. That's the whole fucking point, he helped his kind without getting credit. It's his own fault he can't grow his hair like a normal person.

Spiderman goes around and gets credit for helping people, but nobody knows who he is. Unless Slott or some other shitty writer is writing him.

I see the IM costume more like a Ferrari.

How is this a counter-argument to the lack of vision in translating a comic property by blaming the myopic-ness of the consumer instead of the creator?

The other user isn't wrong because the movie creator has a prejudice against cape traits being translated into film. Considering the wide array of negative opinions in hollywood about superheros in general getting in the way of them getting to play make believe the way they want some how becomes the fan's fault?

Even your counter stinks of this. It is the short-sighted-ness of the director for not being able to translate a vision.

Mortal Kombat by Anderson is a perfect example of this when it shouldn't have been taken seriously, it is still one of the best video game to film adaptations to exist.

And that has decades of history showing how badly video game to films can go. Even this year with Assassin's Creed.

the creator vision and insecurity is the problem, not the source material.

The costume helped him find an identity other than just a killer. It also made him part of a team.

Logan doesn't need a secrect identity though. Nor is he going around helping people.

No, goofy elements make it goofy. Which superheroes are all about.

This Wolverine wants to be left alone tho.

Didn't you saw when he said Mags and Xavier to fuck off? Or all the times that he left the team after the movie finished?

It ain't the bronze age anymore grandpa. And not in this movie clearly.

i have the bigger problem of no fucking hawkeye n logans radical adventure across the US

fucking fox ruined EVERYTHING
infinity gauntlet is gonna suck too

Do people not realize that wearing a bright yellow suit when you're on the run is not a good idea?

>goofy elements make it goofy.

So Edgar Alan Poeis goofy because some of his stories have magic?

To everyone saying the costume could work in live action with some tweaks what tweaks do you have in mind? The costume won't work for Logan since the only X-Men left are him and Xavier, there are no X-Men anymore so it wouldn't make since to wear a uniform.
Also anyone have concept art from the first movie where they tried the mask?

>Shoving border and refugee politics into a dystopian world, converting a comic property into their political vehicle is the hip new thing to do.

I blame MCU and its campiness. Its poisoned the well for comic movies

look it's not rocket surgery, he wears it when he's in active missions with the x-men so everyone knows who the good guys are at a glance. on his own, he wears the fur-lined jacket. that's how it has always worked

This isn't Old Man Logan.
This is just a story about an older Logan.

>it ain't the Bronze Age anymore
That explains why comics suck nowadays

Remender's x-force is literally an easy to do tactical to film transition since the red eyes could be used as built in eye goggles in the mask.

Throwing it in a shredder might help.

Comics have been political since their inception and political comics existed for hundreds of years before Superman ever became a thing

No I'm explaining you the real reason why they wanted the movie down to earth and gritty and it had nothing to do with wolverine being a cape property.

>Batman's outfit hasn't been plain spandex in years.
Reading comics sure is hard, huh.

>inb4 your sophist response and mention BatGordon

The X-Men have always been [insert minority here] comics. Where have you been?

I don't think anyone here is saying that Logan should be wearing a costume in this film.
But he should have been wearing one for the last few films, and not the leather suits or the paintball gear.

thats what i thought this movie was fucking adapting!

god dammit!

Costumes are dumb.

I'm just going to point out that the REALISTIC COSTUME mentality is exactly what gave us POUCHES and that we will look back at what we're getting from this decade's REALISM as completely ridiculous in a few more years.

I'm not trying to counter you user, I'm just expanding on my opinion because you seemed to have already reached a conclusion yourself.

>I guess that's the problem with movies, they have to appeal to people who don't have that ingrained belief

Well, yeah, that's just it isn't? Movies are made not for comic fans but for general audiences who may be receptive of certain ideas and themes in the comics, but are unable to jive with others. Sure they try to throw us a bone now and then, but ultimately setting out to make a movie just for us would, 9/10 times, preclude said movie even being greenlit in the first place. At least with the kind of scale and budget these movies have.

>Mortal Kombat by Anderson is a perfect example of this when it shouldn't have been taken seriously, it is still one of the best video game to film adaptations to exist

And how memorable and successful is the Mortal Kombat movie compared to X-Men? How many sequels has it spawned? And even then, I know plenty of Mortal Kombat fans who were still disappointed in the way that characters like Sub-Zero and Scorpion were translated.

Anyway, you said it yourself: These movies are not just for us. I was only saying that I find ways to enjoy them in spite of this because to me costumes are not the only thing that makes a hero. I can enjoy the various disparate takes found in the comics and the cartoons and the video games and the movies without feeling like they conflict or contradict one another.

Posting superior Wolverine costume

They used the concept of old, busted Logan and slapped a new plot onto it.
Like most comic movies nowadays with their comic counterparts.

Amazing how singer got away with doing a bunch of movies and had little pro-gay propaganda in it. Obviously the comics are built for wrong audience since I doubt a bunch of straight dudes want to read about plights of people that they don't give a shit about or maybe that's just me.

Art has always been an allegory for something else, doesn't mean they're defended from criticism for it.

Totes user. Campiness is something that was unique to the MCU and isn't something that hasn't been in superhero adaptions since the beginning due to the source material being campy.

Will you Sup Forums faggots fuck off already?

It's the last one, and as you've said, he's never worn it before.
It's not that they want it in THIS one, so much as they want it, and this is the last chance.

No, it's not, because fantasy does not equal goofy.
Magic is not goofy. A witch cursing a man or a monkey paw that may or may not grant wishes is not goofy.
A giant floating head wanting to dominate the world but being punched in the face by some radiation-poisoned nerd dressed like a spider is goofy. Giant man-hunting robots being lead by an even bigger robot in a factory vs. a walking snowman is goofy. A Russian man made of steel being trapped in an amusement park rigged as an assassination chamber and being thrown into a giant pinball machine is real fucking goofy.

>Like most comic movies nowadays
>nowadays

Comic book movies have always done this. Find me one comic book movie that is a direct adaptation of a particular run or story. Even Watchmen changed the squid.

Why do people still expect something that they have never actually gotten?

>Obviously the comics are built for wrong audience since I doubt a bunch of straight dudes want to read about plights of people that they don't give a shit about or maybe that's just me.

It's obviously just you tumblr, since X-Men is incredibly popular.

>Also, brown and yellow > blue and yellow

here's your (You)

Are you serious. Blue and yellow is a fucking eyesore. I don't know what color wheel they were looking at when they thought of it but it needs to be thrown in the garbage. Just like that costume.