Honest question: How was Belle able to live the carefree lifestyle that she did...

Honest question: How was Belle able to live the carefree lifestyle that she did? Its clear in her town everyone has to work to survive yet she spends all day reading. Is her father that rich from inventing? Is she the equivalent of the bored rich daughter?

Yes. She also complains about how no one understands her love of books despite there being a bookstore in her small provincial town, which is nice enough to let her borrow.

Yes. She's kinda bitch in that regard. She calls everyone boring and then wonders whey no one wants to talk to her. Then she tries to use that feeling of isolation to relate to a dude that was turned into a monster.

Belle is worst princess.

realistically she would have been a prostitute to the invading muslim horde in spain and france

She sells books in Notre Dame

In the late 1700's?

She maintains the house since her Father is too autistic to do it?

disney blew their chance to reinvite the live action version like they did with maleficent

1 Gaston was the town hero who went to slay a beast that kidnapped a town girl.

2 Gaston wasn't the guy with a personality so bad that a witch cursed him to look like a beast.

3 He ate a lot of eggs

4 Prob just a well meaning jock that didn't understand why the bitch belle didn't like him

This. Everybody in town works, but most of the women probably don't have paying jobs. They rear children and keep house for their husbands/ fathers. Belle's mom is absent, so while Maurice works all day, we can assume Belle does all the cooking, cleaning, shopping, sewing, caring for the house's animals, laundry, fetching well water, etc for her and him. We don't see her do much of this only because its unimportant to the story. The movie needs to spend that time establishing that Belle doesn't fit in with the townsfolk over establishing that she does the chores that we should just assume she does. There's no indication that she has nothing to do and spends all day reading, just that she spends whatever free time she does have reading. We can assume the other girls in town spend their free time socializing and doing other things instead.

Yes.

Women couldn't work back then so she really wouldn't have a job, and her father made enough to take care of her. Eventually a husband would marry her and then financially take care of her too.

/thread

Quite right! Uppity bourgeoisie bitch would have been first in the guillotine!

And she's fucking an aristo!

Yes. Moreso in the original story where she's a merchant's daughter, which is what the live-action movie's going with. Live-action movie's also giving her the inventing shit and she makes a steampunk laundry machine so she can spend her time reading and acting like a smug asshole in public.

She obviously cooks seeing how fat her father is.

It looks kinda like she's telling him about the black guy she's going to the movies with tonight.

It's fascinating that's the first thing that came into your head

It wasn't the first thing that came into my head, it's just the thing I posted.

He wants to get the Superhero suit ready.

But things were worse for Maleficent character wise with that film.

..I gotta admit, if I built a fucking steampunk laundry machine in the 18th century French countryside, I'd probably be a smug asshole about it, too.

>bourgeoisie

I don't think you know what that word means.

hey if someone thinks you're boring, prove them wrong. they clearly WANT to be your friend

It actually wouldn't be that hard to construct a primitive washing machine powered by a bicycle-esque drive system.

Yeah. She's your average mid-high class girl that thinks no one understands her.

wtf I hate Belle again

There are no boring subjects, only disinterested minds

And she also mostly reads BULLSHIT fantasy crap instead of engineering (which would actually be useful given her father's work).

Emma looks like she's gonna be overwhelming me with DreamWorks face the whole fucking movie

Gaston is the epitome of the "Chad" and I don't get why Sup Forums defends him. Is it because his song is good?

he doesn't get the girl despite doing what he thinks is everything necessary to 'win' her over, and that reminds them of themselves

Chad here. Now I understand.

>Daughter of an artisan expected to join a workforce?

She would mostly sit around at home, washing and fixing clothes, cooking, and brewing wine or beer.

Women brewed a shit load of alcohol before industrialisation.becsuse in the winter months, alcohol could be an ample sauce of revenue.

>ample sauce of revenue
I see what you did there.

His song is FANTASTIC

shes a girl going insane with nothing to do.

You guys never hated you hometown?

So the BLEW it by not reversing the reversal, thus making it ...a normal hero fights monsters and saves girl movie?

durrrrrrr lol

Thats like saying " They totally blew Maleficent by not making her the EVIL WITCH!"

fuck yeah, build a steam powered carriage and ride out of town, flipping double birds....

His dick is the size of a freight-train.

Machines and Automations along those lines had been popping up in Europe since before medieval times. The trouble was that materials were expensive and cost to maintain was too high. An added problem is that the Engineers that built them tended to keep the secret of their construction to themselves.

I always thought that Maleficent was sort of a missed opportunity to explore the off kilter morality the Fair Folk often had in the old tales.
For a Fey cursing a child to die on their sixteenth birthday would be a reasonable recompense for not getting invited to a party.
I have only seen this mindset done well in one modern work "Johnathan Strange and Mr.Norrel" with The Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair. Evil in action but more mischievous in nature; a creature of instinct and impulse rather than planning.

In other words Belle is basically all of /r9k/.

It's not really true that women couldn't work as some women had trades (you see some of them), helped their husbands with their jobs, ran the family farm with their families and of course the domestic side if things was a full time job then. But even paying work, some women always did that (not glamorous work though maybe things like bein an alewife i.e. brewing beer).

My take on Belle is this: she was a woman from the upper middle class and as such, her father kept her up so that she didn't have to work like the lower class women.

Women like Belle from her period, didn't have to work because their job was mainly to look pretty and land a suitable husband. The town disliked her because of that, since she wasn't interested in landing a husband and playing the game.

Ironically Gaston DID love Belle, in so far as he loved her because she didn't love him and as such was a challenge.

That film already fucking exists: the French live action version of Beauty and the Beast, which Disney shamelessly ripped off, basically had Gaston as a good guy and the ending is super convoluted, in that the Beast ends up stealing Gaston's face and Gaston ends up with the Beast's face and deformed body in a rather nonsensical arthouse ending.

>a creature of instinct and impulse rather than planning
That's a normal human.

Its like this see..I've got my heart set on TacoBELLE

Yeah seriously, also sounds so damn smug singing "Belle" in that clip. Like her singing voice is a Natalie Dormer smirk

Better question, do you think post-movie Belle ever cheated on Beast with Lumiere?

Lumiere has his sights elsewhere

Do you think he's sad that he was more attractive as a candlestick?

Gaston had every right to do what he did. He was the alfa male in town, and everyone knew it. If she didn't suffer from autism she would have noticed that. Everyone (including the town men) saw him as a God. Who the hell did Belle think she was turning that Oh what a Guy down like that?

But what do you expect from a Disney princess who's into Beastialty, suffers from stockholm syndrome, and acts like a borderline feminist.

Gaston was correct when he said "Shes as crazy as the old man"
She was a loony feminist, and her ass should have been locked up in an insane asylum along side her loony old papa

He meant that he was the best that small little town ever had, however isn't it a little odd that none of the town people seemed to be the slightest bit concerned when the town's most popular, and beloved resident plummets to his grisly, untimely death?
Under the circumstances, the willingness to protect his town from a mythical 10-foot-tall monster (who had been a violent ass hole who used to lock up old man and young girls until like twenty minutes ago) would be a courageous trait. Plus literally everyone else in the town also instantly wanted to kill the beast. Do they all deserve to be tossed off gothic castle towers as well?

Frozen's Hans literally tried to kill a queen in cold blood, and he just gets locked up, and stent back to his kingdom. Gaston's death was way to harsh for such an awesome character in my book.