Do you like any silent era cartoons, Sup Forums?

Do you like any silent era cartoons, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QEgULqLn5iU
youtube.com/watch?v=2f8tfSHIU_g
youtube.com/watch?v=yVatbWZpmPw
youtube.com/watch?v=Kku75vGDD_0
youtube.com/watch?v=zCR-GFKmMGU
youtube.com/watch?v=eXG71sTbRgE
youtube.com/watch?v=TGXC8gXOPoU&t=467s
youtube.com/watch?v=s39jimMyAFI
archive.org/details/Felix_DoublesforDarwin_NoAudio
youtube.com/watch?v=keKoPVJB2Qo
youtube.com/watch?v=A0D4fHieW8o
youtube.com/watch?v=W_uETOtEQYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4UNj-VK43iQ
youtube.com/watch?v=uocFB3ciGmg&t=611s
youtube.com/watch?v=gcznvlBTQFk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=QEgULqLn5iU

youtube.com/watch?v=2f8tfSHIU_g

Wow these are shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=yVatbWZpmPw
"Made with real dead insects! Czar-approved!"

youtube.com/watch?v=Kku75vGDD_0

Technically not silent, but still Lotte:
youtube.com/watch?v=zCR-GFKmMGU

And this one really still holds up:

I love his Ghosts Before Breakfast.

Aw, you went and made Gertie sad again.

youtube.com/watch?v=TGXC8gXOPoU&t=467s

youtube.com/watch?v=s39jimMyAFI

The old Felix cartoons are pretty good.

archive.org/details/Felix_DoublesforDarwin_NoAudio
youtube.com/watch?v=keKoPVJB2Qo

Damn, there was this arcade that I used to like going to on daytrips in the summer with an old Felix cartoon in a nickelodeon, but one year the nickelodeon was busted and I doubt it ever got fixed. I love those machines and always hate the disappointment of walking up to one and finding out it doesn't work anymore.

Yeah, I think it's shortsighted to dismiss the Little Nemo animated sequence like that. Sure, it is just two minutes long and has little to no plot, but there is more to it than just the historical significance. It's amazingly precise, highly detailed fantasy animation. It still stands on its own visually, whether next to Steamboat Willie or next to Steven Universe.

Great stuff, user. These are not only pretty to look at but do an impressive job at visual storytelling. The one flaw is the intertitles in Cinderella. They tell the story ahead of time, which is awkward and unnecessary for a well-known fairytale, and the poerty is weaksauce.
Also,
>slut
I didn't think they would have used use this kind of insult on the screen in 1922.

I think they were taking the word from some 17th century source material, when its meaning and connotation was a little different.

play some kraftwerk along with this

eggs

I see. I figured the writer did not intend it to mean "a loose woman", but still, wouldn't 1920s audiences think it was a rude word for the big screen? This is what I'm wondering. But then maybe they didn't have a knee-jerk reaction to such things in the Roaring Twenties.

Well, first it should be noted that the intended audience probably wasn't delicate sheltered children like the audience of most cartoons today. This was well before the kiddy corner banishment, when not a lot of media was censored for and targeted at kids specifically. Movies were just kind of for everyone.

And I don't think there was a whole lot of policing offensive or boorish words, people who wanted to seem like they had class just plain didn't speak them but they probably didn't fuss over them being spoken in their vicinity with the right context, unless of course some white knight wanted to complain that women were present.

And film wasn't usually a particularly sophisticated high class venue anyway.

It should be noted this was a time when a movie could have a full blown stripper scene, sometimes with tits and all, with no rating system to sort out who was and wasn't seeing it, and nobody really minded or thought it out of place.

youtube.com/watch?v=A0D4fHieW8o

youtube.com/watch?v=W_uETOtEQYQ

I presume that the text was originally in German, so the original epithet may not have been as harsh as our term 'slut', depending on what word was used. But as and said, the film of the 1920s were a lot more lax about sex, violence, and pretty much everything than it would become later in the 30s, especially in Weimar Germany.

Man, I wish the animated Metropolis looked more like the movie.

>when you're trying to fap but your Jungle Venus makes this face

If you enjoyed the Adventures of Prince Achmed, than you should watch Douglas Fairbanks' The Thief of Bagdad. Masterpiece of a film

I'm quite a silent film nut, though I have not seen too many silent cartoons

Normally I'd agree, but it's pretty damn beautiful on its own.

spoiler warning
youtube.com/watch?v=4UNj-VK43iQ

Oh, I remember that. The underwater spider monster scene spooked me worse than most modern day monster effects.

That's funny. Although I love most of the special effects in the film, I have to admit that's the one scene that just looks silly.

I just know I would not want to touch that puppet.

Have you seen this one? It was also a very good fantasy film.

youtube.com/watch?v=uocFB3ciGmg&t=611s

I wish it this story had a good animated adaptation, because it'd really be suited to it. I think it might've been very subtly alluded to in Over the Garden Wall, though.

What was the name of that one about Prince Arabia that was made with like cardboard cutout shadow stopmotion by some chick?

Literally press Home.

Next time someone tells me animation is for kids, I will show them that.
I surprises me that we don't have more animated "paintings". You'd think contemporary artists would be all over it.

Looks cool. Have you ever seen the silent adaptation of Peter Pan? That one's a real underrated classic

There is a lot of video art that uses animation. A lot of what the demoscene produces, especially the smaller intros, is like animated paintings.

I'll have to check it out.

Fucking awesome thank you.

Anyone got anything from this Starevich guy? I can only recall sound era things, but I thought he'd done silent stuff too.

youtube.com/watch?v=gcznvlBTQFk

Oh I see, I guess he did

Most versions of this film tanked. Shirley Temple starred in a version and it was her first flop.