Thunderbolts featuring Luke Cage Storytime (Part 1)

Welcome back Anons! Last time, we finally finished Bendis's Daredevil. Today, we skip a few years, just after Siege. Time for Jeff Parker's Thunderbolts.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/Y4uhEVD.jpg
imgur.com/a/j3LGY
imgur.com/a/rw8b9
youtube.com/watch?v=saD2pP-PvX0
imgur.com/a/Mnsyy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get ready for some ghost!!

And a brief recap of the Thunderbolts. JSAnon posted the entire series (save Fightbolts) a while ago, so after being utterly clueless on Daredevil, we're back to something I'm well-read on.

Her running Parkerbolts is actually when I first found her Storytimes.

>1.1 MB JPGAnd a brief recap of the Thunderbolts. JSAnon posted the entire series (save Fightbolts) a while ago, so after being utterly clueless on Daredevil, we're back to something I'm well-read on.
>
Thank you

After Ellis, it practically became a tradition for new long-term Thunderbolt writers to make an entirely new team, and Parker was no exception. Most of the characters in this team were never in the Thunderbolts before.

For those of you who weren't around for the beginning, Cage was framed for drug posession by his former best friend because he thought "Carl" was turning his girlfriend against him.

Just think, if Diamondback wasn't so paranoid, we never would've gotten Luke Cage.

Were my questions really THAT annoying?

>Were my questions really THAT annoying?
Not really.

Well shit, that's one way to make an entrance.

>that fist-bump

FUCK YEAH, GHOST!

The woman's wing is one of my favorite running gags in this run.

Shit, that's one hell of a burn for Melissa.

How does Juggernaught even KNOW who Luke is?

>Luke is immediately telling everyone no in the flashbacks

Based Parker. Later issues i.imgur.com/Y4uhEVD.jpg

Remember when Xavier WASN'T an asshole in Marvel?

And then there's this asshole.

And now we've got Abe, another of the Original Thunderbolts! All we're missing is Atlas and Zemo, and it's a reunion.

It's a shame that, thanks to Bendis and Reed, so many people seem to only connect her to Carol, when they really barely know eachother.

Remember that time Hank Pym became the second Wasp?

>It's a shame that, thanks to Bendis and Reed, so many people seem to only connect her to Carol, when they really barely know eachother.
And now thanks too Watchmojo which did a summary of her origin
106,168 views.

Fuck yeah, Man-Thing!

>Remember that time Hank Pym became the second Wasp?
Slott Wrote a good Pym

imgur.com/a/j3LGY

If memory serves, SHIELD managed to catch Man-Thing when they tried to get him to register for the SHRA.

Yes, really.

Parker writes a better Cage than Bendis or Walker

Going by Pym's reactions here, he had a feeling Luke would get killed here.

>Parker writes a better Cage than Bendis or Walker
Agreed I liked Genndy Tartakovsky mini

Karla, I read original Thunderbolts. You lived in a damn shack in the woods.

Me neither.

Does anyone REALLY give a damn about WatchMojo, outside of people who make fun of them with memes?

>Remember when Xavier WASN'T an asshole in Marvel?
I never liked comic Xavier.

Man-Thing!

Oh yeah, I unironically love Slott's Mighty Avengers. I forget if he wrote Avengers Academy, which is a sequel to that and Avengers: Initiative, or if Gage did, but that was a good continuation, at least from what I remember.

>Does anyone REALLY give a damn about WatchMojo, outside of people who make fun of them with memes?
I stop after they started making political videos

Fuck yeah, Zemo!

>Oh yeah, I unironically love Slott's Mighty Avengers. I forget if he wrote Avengers Academy, which is a sequel to that and Avengers: Initiative, or if Gage did, but that was a good continuation, at least from what I remember.
imgur.com/a/rw8b9 and then this shit.

I like Walker's Cage, but I'll admit to that.

Saying someone writes a better Cage than Bendis isn't an achievement though. It's like saying someone writes a better Iron Fist than Andrews.

No, I still won't stop making fun of The Living Weapon.

Zemo needs to fucking have a Thunderbolts team again when this current Bucky nonsense is over.

Somehow, this still isn't Zemo's worst pitch.

That would be the one in the newest issue of "The Winter Soldier, featuring the Thunderbolts".

>Songbird: have you watched scooby doo ghoul school?
>barber: say no more senpai!

what happened to Thor-Girl?

Slott's She-Hulk is great too

Nice Costume karla.

Marvel finally manages to make teen heroes that people liked, and they decided "You know what we should do, rather than making books with them? We should kill them off!"

>Marvel finally manages to make teen heroes that people liked, and they decided "You know what we should do, rather than making books with them? We should kill them off!"
Sweet Hunger Games/Battle royale money.

What happened was that Slott and Gage were working together on the Initiative, but then Gage took over completely. Avengers Academy was all Gage.

I remember trying to make list of morally ambigious things Xavier did. Got up to 15 in the Silver Age.

>"Our supervisors are still alive with Normal Pulses. Songbird's did spike a bit each time Monstone was blasted."

Yeah, there's no love lost between Karla and Melissa.

Does that list include lusting after his teenage student?

Just in case you forgot Karla's powers, she's a flying brick who can also turn intangible. She's ALSO a manipulative genius.

>Juggernaught, but also Captain Universe

Can you spell "broken", Anons?

just hatefuck already

Not bad. Karla is able to access a variety of powers after a Kree gravity stone found on the Earth's moon was bonded to her central nervous system. Kree gravity stones are shards of a Lifestone derived from the Kree Tree of Life. Her powers include: self propelled flight, intangibility, the ability to manipulate gravity in a variety of ways like force blasts, superhuman strength, speed, stamina, reflexes, generation of miniature black holes, and transportation of objects through dimensional rifts. Also, her costume is an extension of the stone and can be altered at will.

Karla possesses an M.D. in psychology, however she also holds extensive knowledge in the area of psychoanalysis due to her time studying under Dr. Faustus. This has helped to make her an expert manipulator.

Karla also has perfect control over her voice. She can alter her pitch and modulation to varying degrees to literally drive a man crazy, as shown with what she did to Red-Hulk..

Of course he does a good impression of his boyfriend, Melissa.

Jeff Parker for Legion. I've not encountered a book of his I've GENUINELY disliked yet.

But I mostly missed this book because by the end of Siege I was just burned out on Marvel.

As much as I love this run, yeah, I'm not a fan of Melissa's hairstyle in this run.

>, I'm not a fan of Melissa's hairstyle in this run.
Same

Fuck yeah, US Agent!

youtube.com/watch?v=saD2pP-PvX0

This is a reference to Siege, although I forgot if it was in Mighty Avengers (where US Agent was a main character) or Thunderbolts (where Nuke was)

Into how many gay ships are we going to force Zemo into now? Zucky when?

Frankly, I prefer "betrayed street tough gone straight" Luke to Netflix "goody goody Preacher's son punished by bastard half brother" Luke.

you forget to say she's cute

If memory serves, she somehow got her full powers back and decided "Fuck this planet" and left. I forget when it happened exactly, maybe Fear Itself.

You won't hear any arguments from me on that one, user.

I've been saying this forever, plus he's a LoSHfag and one of the few comic writers who just consistently does really fun stories

Closest thing he's had to a proper super suit in twenty years.

And I don't even know why.
This and H4H, and hell, Cage, all show that it isn't hard to make a distinctive look for Luke, even if you don't quite go full superhero.

>you forget to say she's cute
Very cute

imgur.com/a/Mnsyy

I knew they partnered together during Initative, I just forgot when Slott left, especially since he wrote Pym during Mighty.

The gauntlets really sell it.

How do you feel about Parker's almost exclusive use of vertically descending wide panels for the first couple issues (shows up later in the run as well)? I thought it was stagnant at first and then the more I looked at it the more "beautiful" it became if that makes sense. There's a simplicity in it's presentation that ensure there is zero ambiguity as to where your eyes should be focusing on. Just read from top to bottom.

I don't count that, mostly because at least he knew it was fucked up. If I counted random thoughts I had as evil, then I'd have to count how, every time I see someone on a railing, I have a moment where I think "If I pushed them off, would anyone notice?"

I mean, you all have those thoughts, right?

Titania please, you're a married woman.
If you need sexual gratification, just bully some of the other women into being your sex slave. You're a big girl.

>Karla also has perfect control over her voice. She can alter her pitch and modulation to varying degrees to literally drive a man crazy, as shown with what she did to Red-Hulk..

See, I knew about the powers from the second Moonstone, but THIS one, I wasn't aware of.

Errr...

Sadly, I'm pretty unread on him outside this, but if his Thunderbolts is typical of his work, then he's one of MY favorites.

This run gets some great Man-Thing faces.

>Vulnerable to authority figures and eager for attention

>Will possibly make out with you if you're running a complicated scheme to save the universe using cosmic powers.

Somehow, even women lusting over Cage seems better than in Bendis, because at least it's characters who are identified as hopeless perverts (the women's wing) or manipulative/ambitious (Karla)..

And sadly, it gets worse

reeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oh most definitely, user. Partially because I love me a good redemption story, and also because it serves to make the dynamic with Danny better.

I love Karla reaction face

>that spoiler

Never, X-user. Remember Brubaker's Cap?

My first encounter with him was Agents of Atlas, which was frigging incredible.

And soon after that, he also started up X-Men: First Class and Marvel Adventures Avengers, both of which I found mostly more enjoyable to their respective contemporary main continuity titles.

Incoming daughterfu!

I'd settle for just always having a yellow shirt, like how Power Rangers always have color coded shirts in their civilian identies.

Wait, do they still do that?

Sure. I mean, would people hate Cyclops for killing someone who was an asshole?

But that only makes it better! A tsun-tsun ship!

Honestly, I didn't even notice at first.

BEEF.

>>Will possibly make out with you if you're running a complicated scheme to save the universe using cosmic powers.

To be fair, that also involved killing Genis, and she may or may have not known about the futures where they get together.

Venus is my waifu
Parker is the best

Oh fuck, he wrote Marvel Adventures Avengers too? That was one of my favorite of the line!

>Slott Wrote a good

Speaking of "Remember whens," remember when that wasn't something insane to say?

Sadly, there's a distinct lack of Val in this run.

MY GIRL!
she should be on Champions

No, you don't get it. Zemo's like the guy who hates his lover's best friend.

>suddenly, Inhumans

Even better! A crackship!

Oooh, I gotta write this shit down! This is gold!