The Simpsons' Apu: 'A stereotype hiding in plain sight'

bbc.com/culture/story/20171027-the-simpsons-apu-a-stereotype-hiding-in-plain-sight

>“After a while, you’d watch The Simpsons on a Sunday and you’d get a sense of how you’d be made fun of at school on Monday, based on what Apu did in the latest episode.”

>Hari Kondabolu doesn’t mince words about the impact the character on the long-running animation had on his own life. “Kids in the playground would always mimic the accent and say ‘Thank you, come again!’ or ‘Hello, Mr Homer!’” the Indian-American comedian tells BBC Culture. “Sure, growing up in New York City everyone tries to be funny. If you grow up there you learn to make jokes and how to make comebacks, but it’s hard to counter an accent – what’s your comeback for an accent?”

>For years Apu Nahasapeemapetilon was the only person of South Asian descent depicted on US TV at all – a problem because he is a broad stereotype whose clownishness is his singular purpose. He exists to provoke a laugh. He is a cartoon literally and figuratively. What’s especially troubling about Apu as a stereotype is that, until recently, very few viewers in the US outside of the Indian-American community have addressed, talked about, or even recognised that Apu is a stereotype. “I used to write for [African-American comedian] W Kamau Bell’s show Totally Biased and he told me, ‘No one’s discussed Apu. You and your community have discussed this for two decades, but no one else in America thinks Apu is problematic.’”

Um, isn't EVERY character on that show a stereotype of some sort?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LlJWhPy-_eI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Um, isn't EVERY character on that show a stereotype of some sort?
Yes, just ignore this shit

reply to this post and your mother will die in her sleep tonight

Amazing how this faggot ignores the fact that, despite his faults, which he needs for being a character in a comedy, Apu overall is probably one of the more smart, level headed people in all of Springfield

Shot, the Simpsons came to my country (Northern. ireland ) once and it was FULL of stereotypes, goofy accents, leprechauns, sectarian violence etc. And we thought it was pretty cool

Then again, we're Irish not some faggy cushy Americans of Indian descent looking for a reason to complain.

You bet your ass not a single person in India gives a fuck about apu.

Let's not also forget:

>The character has a doctorate in computer science. Opened his own store to pay off the student loans, rather than default, is married, takes care of his many children, believes in the 2nd amendment, runs a well-respected business and loves being an American (doing so legally)

>character owns a feed and seed shop
>they name him 'sneed'

Apu was actually the top in his field at India's most respected science institute. I look at his character as a play on how America would put an idiot like Homer in charge of the safety at a Nuclear plant whereas someone as smart as Apu is working at a convenience store. It's like when a Russian Physicist is an American Janitor.

thank you come again

fepckers and seckers? I don't follow

>Northern Ireland
>Irish
user...

t. Lewis Llyod Williamson, proud BRITISH warrior fighting for her Majesty.

>mfw have both British and Irish passports, valid until 2027.

>hiding
Everyone knows Apu is a stereotype, don't have a cow man

D E S I G N A T E D

>Completely missing the libshit sentiments that lie in Apu's character.
>Highly educated
>Can only be a convenience store owner in America

Fucking idiot.

>he is a broad stereotype whose clownishness is his singular purpose. He exists to provoke a laugh.

Pretty much applies to the whole show, to be honest.

That being said, they aren't wrong. Apu is a stereotype. It's white Americans goofing on Indian shopkeepers. It isn't entirely mean-spirited, but it isn't the nicest thing ever.

I just wish people would mellow the fuck out. Stereotypes can be funny. Making fun of people can be funny. Apu is making fun of a certain kind of Indian immigrant. So what? Do we really have to walk on eggshells?

get fucked

You dick.

Has the show ever depicted him buying forty gallons of milk at another store to resell it in his?

So what, he go teased at school the next day at school with a bunch of "Thank you, come again!"s and "Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart?"
Well good for that whinny faggot.

I went to school and got called a sheep fucker, because my dad was from New Zealand.

>Sure, growing up in New York City everyone tries to be funny. If you grow up there you learn to make jokes and how to make comebacks, but it’s hard to counter an accent – what’s your comeback for an accent?

Why cant poos handle banter?

>Um, isn't EVERY character on that show a stereotype of some sort?
Nope.
Every Scotsman is a loud, drunken redhead.

>what’s your comeback for an accent?

"Haha! That's shit! You suck! Here let me show you how it's done properly you fuckwit..."

So do I get reparations for the existence of Groundskeeper Willy?

No, because he's a white male and so are you.

>blog posting is "news"

Uhm, no user. What about Scottish Muslims? They don't drink alcohol.

Or what about Afro-Scots? They don't have red hair.

Question here.....
Why are they saying something now? Why not when the SImpsons was popular? I am I am all for zombie simpsons ending at any cost but this is stupid.

I can't believe the show with an italian-american guy that is a mobster, an incompetent/corrupt police chief, money-hungry lawyers, etc. has a stereotypical character.

Unbelievable shit.

Apu is a hardworking husband and father who's kind to basically everyone he meets, and is incredibly smart on top of that. He was a brilliant scientist in India, the fact that he runs a convenience store in America is the Frank Grimes joke all over again: hardworking, smart people get screwed, while ass-kissing morons who don't talk back like Homer get ahead.

There is nothing stereotypical about Apu except his accent. Which, by the way, is an accent that Indians actually have. I've seen that "Indians react to Apu" video, and by far the best part is the Indians saying "we don't sound like that" and all I can think is "man, that's an amazing Apu impression".

>but it’s hard to counter an accent – what’s your comeback for an accent?”
I don't know, ask literally any Dominican/Puerto Rican/Cuban/Chinese, New York is full of them. Hell, even southern whites get mocked for their accents in New York.

fuck off

user...if it's yellow let it mellow
If it's brown flush it down
Common sense dude

>Noble, smart, P O W E R F U L PoC has any flaws

RACIST

>Britbongs in charge of getting the joke

THE FACT THAT HE'S A STEREOTYPE IS THE WHOLE POINT RETARDS.

>isn’t EVERY character on the show a stereotype?

Nah, they got Australia spot on

OH NO AN INDIAN CHARACTER FRIM INDIA WITH AN INDIAN ACCENT THE HORROR IM SHAKING THIS IS RAPE THIS IS TRUMPS AMERICA

Faggots like you deserve cancer

>what’s your comeback for an accent?

Another accent you unfunny hack.

Russel Peters made his name off of stupid accents, why can't this bitchboy do the same.

Why do Indians and Asians nitpick over the most inconsequential issues? Are they jealous they aren't an oppressed minority?

People here getting pissed about the spanking part was an embarassment. That entire episode was primo bantz.

layered satire literally too much for britbongs

Fuck you, never threaten my family, here's the (you)

Kill yourself

jokes on you I saw the immunity cat image so Im safe

Tough guy

Where are all the Jews complaining about Crusty I wonder?

Fuckin badass bro!!!

Ill never understand retarded cucks like you who reply to that shit. You and your cunt of a mother are both going to get cancer regardless of whether you reply to this or not.

Daily reminder that Apu and his Qwik-E-Mart are pillars of the community, and everybody loves him besides Snake.

Daily reminder that Cletus the Slack-jawed Yokel is a also character on this show

Speedy González 2.0

Amazing what one asshole with a megaphone can accomplish in ruining something, even when his fellow countrymen disagree.

Anyone who got upset at the episode deserves 3 bootings and exile to Manus Island, the cunts.

You call that banter?

you can really taste the chutnee!

Did you really just reference a big bang theory joke

>What’s especially troubling about water is that, until recently, very few viewers in the US outside of the Indian-American community have addressed, talked about, or even recognised that water is wet

Lmao brah im scared of mama dying

Embarrassing ausfag. Go back.

Is this person retarded? Apu is one of the most positively depicted Simpsons characters.

what the fuck is a bondwizard, and a malunda-gildchunk...or whatever the fuck the shop keeper said

Where are all the other poos denouncing this shitbird? I remembered when Bart Versus Australia came under fire for similar stereotypical political baiting and practically every other aussie came out of the woodwork to say that they loved that episode and for the people that had a problem with it to fuck off.

Everyone replying to this is ducking retarded
It says IF you reply she dies
Bai mom

Why do these people criticize Apu endlessly but you never hear them mention Groundskeeper Willie or any of the Simpsons other mildly offensive stereotypes?

>Captain McAllister
>Cletus
>Comic Book Guy
>Bumblebee Man
>Fat Tony
>not stereotypes

>waaah people made fun of me on the playground
>I'm oppressed
EVERYONE gets made fun of for something or other as a kid. Fuck off, pooki cunt.

Stop posting you fucking queer

youtube.com/watch?v=LlJWhPy-_eI

none of these people are dark enough for that to matter

ok kike

answer the question you hooked nosed oven dodger

>If you grow up there you learn to make jokes and how to make comebacks, but it’s hard to counter an accent – what’s your comeback for an accent?
EYY AHM WHALKING OVAH HEEA
There, done, not that hard. Comedian my ass

Why would someone who allegedly grew up in NYC have an Indian accent?

Bruh I'm a spic and I've never once found bumble bee man offensive, he's actually one of the funniest characters considering he just spouts catchphrases

>Its an australian redditfag tries to fit in episode.

fug

Fuck u

Now even the comedians are coming out demanding to ban jokes

Postmodernism was a mistake

Yeah but the Irish are white so they can't complain about anything other than their own privilege. Only the glorious PoC who are literally being lynched every day by Simpsons jokes are allowed to complain.

It's 2017.v

>the Irish are white

ecks dee ebin meem

>a black Scotsman

Bwahahahahaha user stop!

Because they don't have to since some white guilt ridden prick will cry on behalf of them. As a Canadian, I've heard shit about "aboot" a gorillion times and it's not a big deal other than being sort of confusing since I've never heard someone actually say it like that here.

Love you mom

>BBC Culture

Fug

kek

A handful of pajeets are offended by the simpsons, welcome to the internet somewhere someone is offended by something. Stop making this fucking thread 3 times a day.

F

Thank you go to hell

>“Kids in the playground would always mimic the accent and say ‘Thank you, come again!’ or ‘Hello, Mr Homer!’”
THE FUCKING HORROR

>He is a cartoon literally and figuratively.
Well.
The simpsons is a cartoon.

This. It's le switcheroo

Did anyone? I don't recall it. I've heard reports the media did, but big fucking shock there.

stop

I was was gonna reply anyway you fucking cunt.

that's why i replied

Apu is a great character one of the best Simpsons characters after Edna R.I.P ;__;