Do you feel that superheroes should generally be more focused on threats that don't exist in reality?

Do you feel that superheroes should generally be more focused on threats that don't exist in reality?

Supervillains, alien invasions, flashy evil organizations with tons of elaborately costumed minions, etc

I ask because it's kind of weird to arbitrarily apply superheroics to some real world problems, but not others. I.E. Batman can put a mugger in a hospital but not probably spends more on his arsenal than fixing up Gotham, Iron Man can build a gun that can fire the moon like a bullet but won't help with space colonization, etc

I'm not saying they should NEVER touch on "real issues", but I see something like Champions where they're trying to fight societal ills and I just can't help but wonder what a bunch of teenagers in silly outfits are supposed to do about human trafficking

Ultimately the problem is bad creators not the concepts themselves. Some things like social issues are more cringe when written by a bad writer than a generic action story, but it doesn't make sense to blame that on the concept rather than the fact that they keep doing stupid shit like giving teen books to guys like Waid who can't fucking write them (in b4 muh Impulse, it was one run that was clearly a fluke given all his other attempts since then).

As a cop my only issue with superheroes is that somehow they can spend all day everyday stopping multiple violent offenses in progress in tiny ass towns

I don't want to see a return to full Golden Age, but some real-life issues tossed in with Heros vs Villains would be nice. Bonus points if the story explores both sides of the issue and then lets the viewer decide for themselves.

I typically don't like them tackling real-world issues because they're usually much more complicated than any superhero could handle, if they're even solvable at all.

That said it's nice to see them at least acknowledged in some way. Bruce Wayne is actually a huge philanthropist in Gotham, known for spending millions of dollars on improving infrastructure. In the 90's superheroes used to fight terrorists and cartels constantly, it was usually very boring because they're written as one-dimensional bad guys.

If it were up to me, I'd have technology in the Marvel U and DCU be a bit ahead of our own (technically it kind of is but usually due to writer's ignorance of science or just plot devices). Reed Richards would have cured cancer and AIDs, and provided more efficient transportation, etc. Kind of like how in Watchmen the existence of Dr. Manhattan accelerated technological development quite a bit.

The problem of course is that it makes it harder for some writers to do more grounded stories.

>Bonus points if the story explores both sides of the issue and then lets the viewer decide for themselves.

The recent Deathstroke gun violence issue was this, very well done.

>I typically don't like them tackling real-world issues because they're usually much more complicated than any superhero could handle, if they're even solvable at all.
Nah. I could solve all the world's problems if I had high end superpowers.

The fact that you believe that is pretty good evidence that no, you couldn't.

You wouldn't get past first world problem solving let alone going to shit holes and fixing those messes

What if I just kill every world leader that doesn't get on board with my NWO and replace them with my own puppets? Get full backing from every nation, unified under my law.

Fuck off.

I think fixing the shitholes would be quite a bit easier. Life there can be improved substantially by "killing the bad guys". Can't do that in the first world.

>Supervillains, alien invasions, flashy evil organizations with tons of elaborately costumed minions, etc

Yes.

>Waaaaah! All cops are facists!

Hey, ANTIFA fag, your link to reddit redirects to Sup Forums for some reason. You might want to look into that before you kill yourself

I like when they combine them. Spectacular Spider-Man did a good job of combining realistic criminal activity with the supervillain/powers aspect.

>As a cop
How does it feel to be subhuman?

Most superheroes live in cities though...?

No, I can't stand that kind of shit.
>inb4 n-no fun
I want more gritty crimeshit, but Brubaker is the only cape writer who could pull that off well.
>inb4 muh Rucka, Azzarello, Aaron
Don't kid yourselves, Scalped and 100 Bullets were lightnings in the bottle. Rucka was never good.

>Scalped
Scalped was fucking awful. I couldn't even finish it. Absolute trash. Trash art, trash story, trash characters.

>multiple characters in the marvel universe have cured cancer
>Ironman even made an app out of it
This never fails to amuse me

Speaking of cops and comics, can anyone help me remember the title of a terrible comic that came out years ago, Sup Forums shat all over it, it was about a black girl in America who was waging a war on cops, luring them into the hood before ambushing and killing them. She was described as an urban Napoleon or Napoleon of crime, the story painting her as this tactical genius, even though her plans were pretty ordinary. She was organising and arming other blacks for a campaign against the police.

>Supervillains, alien invasions, flashy evil organization
I really miss when superheroes did that.

Lately (and by lately I mean several years now) I have the impression that all that Superheroes does is fighting each other instead of fighting villain.

Of course movies don't have good villains, there hasn't been villains in comics for a decade now, everyone got realigned or its completly irrelevant.

Isntead we are struck with stories about which hero es more liberal and who is more dick than the others.

Genius, I think.

I hate how people here seem to think that superheroes cannot do anything besides stopping crimes. Do you think everyone with super power is going to be a gigantic idiot that doesn't know how to help the world. We have the internet for a reason. The only problem to solve the world problems right now is just mostly the lack of resources.

Nice circular reasoning kid.

First world problems come later. You want to fix the places that are absolutely terrible first and then deal with the other issues.