I don't get why people say this show is deep and then list off a bunch of themes already tackled better by shows like...

I don't get why people say this show is deep and then list off a bunch of themes already tackled better by shows like BTAS/STAS,Courage,Avatar/Voltron,and Captain Planet

Whenever I see tackled I just think of a bald executive in a business suit hunched over and ready to play ball

It's because the characters are "diverse" so the majority of tumblr adore it

Another hate thread, eh? Oh, well...

What do the two acronyms stand for?

Batman/Superman: The Animated Series

they're fucking aliens

Nobody thinks it's deep, even the people who might say they do

People like it because its "cute", bright and colorful, and appeals to their sensibilities and with how much Sugar forces her worldviews into the show, it's likely too that people like it because it aligns with their views as well

Captain Planet is dated as shit
Avatar's original messages are overshadowed by the incoherence of the messages of Korra. Like, it's okay to straight up murder street mooks, but when a blatantly evil theocrat performs a massive coup/invasion you just have to breathe calmly and seek a diplomatic solution, especially when he's threatening to kill your family and you can end everything in five seconds.
Courage is decent, but again, how old is that?
BTAS was decent, STAS was meh as fuck so half points.

Meanwhile steven universe is a cartoon with a serialised plot, on a channel that plays TTGO NON FUCKING STOP. It's like how you have to wait till a certain arbitary day each week to watch Brooklyn 99 on E4 for 20 minutes, but the big bang theory plays constantly. Of course it's popular, it's the best transformers cartoon ever.

Seriously, I've been rewatching the other series and there's a lot of flaws there.

TL;DR it has a serious, interesting overarching plot where that shit usually gets stuff cancelled, so of course it's popular in comparison to everything else.

Is this an American thing? I've never equated representation = pandering, or vice versa unless it's extremely egregious (again Korra) or out of left field.

What, is it pushing the evil SJW agenda that even if you're a lesbian a guy with good hair and music taste can cuck you and make you raise his children?

>Stas Wes meh

Opinion discarded

Transformers but with hawt feminine humanoid metaphorical secks.

>cartoons
>deep

>Meanwhile steven universe is a cartoon with a serialised plot
It's about as serialized as a sitcom is with aging kid characters.

They'll have mini arcs and then go right back to being episodic with passing mentions of past adventures. Shit, I take it back, because at least when sitcom kids go from high school to college, they actually change as characters. Steven will revert back to season 1 stupidity at the drop of the hat if the writers want to.

>/sug/ shitposts about the show all the time, hardly anyone from there even shows enjoyment in it anymore aside from waifu headcanons
>people still make hate threads about it on Sup Forums

Outside of Sup Forums everyone keeps gushing like this is one of the best cartoons ever made.

Why does age dertermine quality?

>Passing mentions

Steven can control his veg powers now, Lapis and Peridot are officially crystal gems, Jasper got corrupted and bubbled, the rubies are stuck in space, Steven is extremely conflicted about his mother, Peridot has ferrokinesis, he's started calling people on their bullshit whether they be crystal gems or humans, steven has greater control over the shield and bubble, Offworld gems know the crystal gems exist and no-one has told the diamonds because of blackmail, Uncle Andy has fully made up with Greg and flew him and steven to Korea, Jasper is confirmed as an anomaly as the other quartzes are laid back, and Homeworld are probably going to kidnap humanity any day as Blue Diamond is being sentimental

That's just the major stuff off the top of my head. When was the last time you watched?

>outside of Sup Forums
aka no mans land in hopes of discussion

You didn't cover Voltron.

It doesn't, it just means it exists for a long time, has been discussed to death; before the new movies came out, you couldn't discuss DB without risking getting banned on Sup Forums. There's only so many times you can say 'yeah, courage was great', especially when it's not airing anymore.

That being said, it does mean that the quality of animation can be lower, the humor can be dated, the format can be dated in terms of characters and minimalistic casting, the music is often less budgeted for (I love me a good soundtrack) etc.

>HAY GUISE I SERIOUSLY DON'T GET WHAT THIS STEVEN SHOW IS ALL ABOUT WINK WINK
There should be a circle in hell just for you kind.

Why do you find it so absurd that someone doesn't like SU? Your attitude is partially why it's so hated, btw

Not everybody who dislikes something is a troll, and the mentality that says they are is really obnoxious

yeah honestly i dont even know why i bother with /sug/

you are so wrong

No-one's got time to critique a space opera show, other than

>One form of government is bad
>The other form of government is good
>But wait, the bad government has good aspects
>And the good government has bad aspects
>Certain good and bad people are on the wrong sides because of misunderstandings and injustices caused by said aspects
>And thus, war is hell

That being said, I do love Voltron.

Adding superpowers is not character development. Xiaolin Showdown and Jackie Chan had collect-em-all shit too where characters kept their magic artifacts, they were still the same characters.

Unless you think Gumball's girlfriend, Penny, having a new design means it radically changes the show.

user, at least one SU hate thread is on at literally any time on this board, no one says he shouldn't dislike it, but don't come to tell me it's normal to costantly circlejerk on how flawed or left-leaning this particular show is.

>Steven is suspicious of his mother, the gems and of what they intend for him in general
>Pearl sped in a car, evaded the police and got a mystery girl's number, who looks exactly like Rose (yes, it's a little creepy)
>The entire episode of Mr Greg
>Greg is revealed to have had a falling out with his family, later reconciles with cousin who didn't know steven existed
>Crystal gems team beta are relatively loyal and reliable now. Lapis may not hate Garnet
>Offworld know about crystal gems, blackmail prevents word reaching Diamonds
>Blue and yellow are planning to kidnap humans from earth
>Steven genuinely wanted to help Jasper, was unable to, caused trauma
>Zoomans exist
>Famethysts exist
>Jasper is an anomaly
>Sapphire is revealed to crack under pressure very easily, Ruby is essentially moral support
>Yellow and Blue Pearl may know Pearl as she keeps hiding around corners away from them
>Agates terrify, A lapis terraforms
>Sapphires are used to justify wars, plural
>Every single existing rose quartz from earth is being kept prisoner on a space station

Wow! Look at all this shit that gets dropped the instant there's a townie episode!

What an amazing serialized show. You could compile a huge fucking list like this for Pokemon, too, it's still mostly episodic and most of this shit doesn't matter "until it does". That isn't really serialized, that's just continuity.

Too be fair just because other shows have tackled a subject before doesn't mean that another show isn't do the same, even if it is less effective, but i agree that the show is garbage.

>user, at least one SU hate thread is on at literally any time on this board, no one says he shouldn't dislike it, but don't come to tell me it's normal to costantly circlejerk on how flawed or left-leaning this particular show is.

There is also at least one, usually more, SU praise threads. I don't agree with anything OP said despite not being a SU fan, but ever action has an equal and opposite reaction....why are ponies not allowed? Because it was so god damned big, SU is all over this board and so SU hate is going to be as well

Except it doesn't get dropped, it's relevant and plays into the situation when appropriate. If you were a planetary defender, why the fuck would you discuss politics of space with your local chippie?

Half the townie episodes are chekhov's guns anyway, the Ronaldo ones going overdive in that regard. THAT is serialisation.

I think I'll just sit this episode out

I don't think I've ever heard SU referred to as deep. Anyway, as someone with an interest in philosophy I've come to realize that most things that are referred to as deep really aren't so much, objectively speaking. Including the whole of philosophy itself.

I will admit that there are a few aspects of SU that I haven't seen before. When I first began watching, I never expected the "alien/human hybrid boy is literally half of his own mother, who was the object of obsessive (and unrequited) romantic interest by his guardian, who in turn was cucked by boy's father" angle. Can't say I've seen that in a Western cartoon before.

Yeah, and Ash has a Charmander that evolves and later goes through his own Charizard arc 200 episodes later. But for 95% of the time, the fact that Ash has a Charizard is completely irrelevant.

Much like most of SU. It's why they stick characters in a fucking barn ready to pull them out "only when they need to". It's why the Cluster and Jasper and Bismuth get bubbled and will only be brought back up again when they need to.

Everything in this show is "It doesn't matter until it does" and that's not good serialization. That's continuity in an episodic based show. Otherwise you're implying shit like Gravity Falls and Star Vs. are serialized shows because they have small amounts of progression.

>It's not relevant until it is

user, the show is told from steven's perspective, this isn't the game of thrones books where you can alternate between characters brushing their teeth every morning.

Ignoring the fact that's literally how fiction works, the show doesn't ignore the characters. It tells you where they are placed, what they are doing, why they are doing it (Lapis is in the barn because she doesn't like the crystal gems, Peridot is there because of the same reason) they explain what they do (literally shitpost desu, but that's pretty understandable to be fair, and I've got a weak spot for the villain becomes a NEET trope), and they give regular updates.

As for the comment on the cluster and Jasper, until recently, Jasper was a recurring enemy whose plans became more and more clear; i.e. abducting corruptions to train and use as an army.

The cluster keeps reappearing and is a major plot point (the reason the diamonds will eventually invade for instance, and why they believe sapphire is a homeworld gem still).

Overall, the show is serial simply because if taken out of order, aside from SOME of the townie episodes, there's no sense to be found. Villains turn into allies, turn into villains and allies again, the cluster's progress pretty much dictates a timeline, Malachite's defeat frees Lapis and allows her to hang out with steven on occasion, Steven trains his powers (yes, it does count) including the watermelon army, Steven becomes stronger than amethyst and is implied to eventually become the strongest, steven learns he can't age normally, the diamonds being confirmed and effectively setting a deadline for destruction, the pink diamond reveal and twist on the merciful rose quartz...

To be honest, pokemon would be a serial series if they didn't keep resetting it each region; badges, new pokemon caught, new skills learnt, new rivals beaten, new evil team discovered and outsmarted...

No, but if that's your biggest selling point, that's bad.

Every single arc you've mentioned is a bomb shown back-to-back then immediately resolved in favor for a slew for Townies.

The Townie episodes aren't "sometimes", it's literally 70% of the fucking show.