Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EN_VBc98dzg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i liked it

It was Keanu.

He definitely gave his most animated performance

Nah, didn't really do the book justice.

We did it reddit!

What was wrong with the adaptation? They merged Freck and Jerry Faben into one character, but otherwise they had all the main stuff from the book. Casting was pretty spot-on, particularly with RDJ as Bariss.

Rewatched it recently. It was much sadder than I remembered and pretty damn impressive from a narrative perspective. Great performances from the entire cast.

All of the relationships were rushed and due to being a movie. So everything had way less dramatic effect.

>All of the relationships were rushed and due to being a movie.
I got the sense of this too, particularly with Winona and Keanu, but I still got everything out of them I needed to in terms of given circumstances. Overall I think this is Linklater's most effective drama.

Yeah agreed. Still a decebtvfilm with top tier casting.

As I recall the movie cut out one of the most important parts of the whole book where Arctor and Donna are in the woods with Arctor's withdrawal kicking in, and Donna has a massive internal monologue on the cruelty of the world and what she's doing to Arctor without his own knowledge.

>on the cruelty of the world and what she's doing to Arctor without his own knowledge.
You mean the thing that would have ruined the ending?

It doesn't ruin the ending, in both the book and the movie it's implied that Arctor, now a fried zombie, will end up smuggling out the evidence needed to come down on the drug producers, it's just that in the book Phil builds on the whole "does a scanner see clearly or darkly" theme, showing that it's not just Arctor going mad and not having any idea of what's going on, but other people and society at large going through confusion and despair.

>but other people and society at large going through confusion and despair.
But I got that sense with all of the other characters interacting with Arctor.

STOP MAKING JOKES REEEE

it was an okay movie.

i only watched it once and i was kinda confused about the whole "technology" aspect. i think it wasn't explained enough how all this phase-shifting worked.
well atleast for brainlets like me

youtube.com/watch?v=EN_VBc98dzg

Donna and the police doctors are the only supporting characters who he interacts with that aren't heavy users, her monologue is needed to show that it's not just the junkies who are afraid.

Alex Jones, Richard Linklater, Mike Judge, and Terrence Malick need to make a movie together. Call it Austin's Finest.

The movie did a poor job of showing Arctor lose the ability to recognize himself on the recordings he watches.
In the book it's clear that as his condition worsens, he sees the person on the recording as someone other than himself.