>arrival arrives at theaters
>Sup Forums loves it
>1 week later
>reddit also loves it
>1 week later
>Sup Forums hates arrival

>arrival opens
>reddit section of Sup Forums loves it
>reddit section of Sup Forums goes back to their home reddit to get their upvotes and gold posts
>the true Sup Forums opinion is revealed

Loved it. The twist was a nice finish to the movie, and a re-watch made the movie better.

Why do you say so?

Denis is an excellent director but the film failed on the page. The ‘twist’ completely undermined how we view Adams’ character. Ultimately it felt like a Shyamalan flick, in story if not execution.

I liked that it felt like a film about film and storytelling. That elevated a lot of the elements for me

Abbot is death process though.

A really shitty romance movie disguised as a sci fi flick, designed by some faggots in a board room to push diversity while hitting every demo as hard as possible.

It was good until she phoned the chinaman

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

Interesting but I found the idea that removing all pathos from life is some sort of 'enlightenment' pretty irritating

However, it was discussion-provoking and that's a very good thing in today's blockbuster landscape

It never gets good

The story it's based on doesn't even go this far in the movie.

>The ‘twist’ completely undermined how we view Adams’ character
yeah that's the point though. It adds a layer of depth to the character
Suddenly she's a huge asshole, but the viewer understands why and it's up to the viewer to make something out of it.
Sure is a lot more depth than most films of the same year.

How is the movie disappointing? Did you go in with great expectations?
It might not be on Lynch levels of leaving things up to interpretation, but that's not really what villeneuve does, outside of Enemy as far as I know.

While I agree with you that Arrival could have been a lot more (though what current director would've done a better job?), it's far from disappointing

Arrival is practically capeshit. The film was made so middlebrow viewers like you can tip your film buff hats and be tricked into feeling like you're a somehow more discerning viewer, appreciating the medium on a level beyond the plebes, but it's normiecore schlock all the same. This film was Nolan level spoonfeeding trash, Villeneuve just hasn't gotten to the point where his name has become unfashionable yet.

>I enjoy the flicks of Denis Villeneuve

One of the best mainstream movies of the 2010s. I swear every time I get on Sup Forums there's someone claiming this movie sucks and that it's too heavy handed, and then in their explanation they literally get it wrong

brainlets who think amy adams "chose" to have the baby

it insists on itself

Hardly a romance movie

Reminder that Arrival is about 3x as good as 2049

just got finished watching this for the second time couldn't understand anything, wanted to fug the mc tho

Excellent.

>Learning a language will make you see the future

Seriously?

>There is no reward for being smart
You're deluding yourself if you think that just because a movie is intentionally vague it somehow is smarter than a film like Arrival. It's harder to create a story than ambiguous art left open to interpretation.

Anyone who doesn't like Arrival is a low IQ retard, and not worth my time to engage in conversation.

good movie

One of the worst movies of 2016 right after la la land and moonlight

I didn't love it

The premise to me feels too stupid, and I did some research about the importance of language and the way it shapes our brain in my years. I used to think that a different language structure could lead to different ways of perceptions and I found some pretty awesome studies and experiments. But seeing the future... it's too much. I can't swallow that kind of thing in a supposed to be serious sci-fi film.

But anyways, I don't need that to enjoy a movie, but the structure of the movie was misleading just for the sake of it (why is she so fucking bored and sad before all the shit started? Just for us to think it is becuase of her dead daughter, when her daughter hasn't even benn conceived yet)

And mostly, ever fucking Villeneuve movie feels the same. I kinda like it, but it distracts me. All the shots are the same, the pacing is the same, the use of music... BR2049 felt more like a sequel to this, or Prisioners, or Enemy than a sequel to Ridley's film

>learn new language
>accquire superpowers

Terrible mess.

pretty boring desu

So boring and an awful ending. Tried really hard to be a modern Contact but forgot to hire writers that have passed 8th grade.

>The premise to me feels too stupid, and I did some research about the importance of language and the way it shapes our brain in my years. I used to think that a different language structure could lead to different ways of perceptions and I found some pretty awesome studies and experiments. But seeing the future... it's too much. I can't swallow that kind of thing in a supposed to be serious sci-fi film.

It's science fiction

I can't tell if this is a serious post or some autist pasta.

>learning a new language changes perception
hahaha studies or shut the fuck up faggot

I-I was being serious, and just wrote that. What's wrong about it?

A fucking huge lot, but it's something to debate, at least ten years ago when I was studying psichology (but in Spain, that's why my english doesn't match the subject I'm trying to deal with)

It's one of those things that is very remotely possible but still a hard pill to swallow.

That's pretty accurate, there's a false depth to this sort of film that's just uncanny. Arrival leaves a misleading question behind, the answer is clear but disguised.

It wasn't a particularly bad movie but it left a bad taste. I've seen tons of pretentious works with a shallow idea (like anyone else), but nothing like this. It seemed as if they knew exactly how far their viewer would reason and played with that.

Hes upset that you don't like a flick he thinks is deep

It isn't remotely possible at all. Time is a physic dimention. You don't get to magicaly see thorugh walls becuase you learn chinese, but ypur approach to some kind of problems may be better than somebody who only speaks english.

That's why art is so different from one cultrue to another, becasue language shapes the way you see things. THE WAY YOU SEE THINGS, no the things you see.

Well we haven't encountered an alien language yet, have we? There's no reason to think a language would "unlock time" but there's also no reason it's impossible

that sounded mad and I'm not mad at all. I'd rather see a movie that deals with such an interesting concept than a stupid one, and it made me and my friedns to have a nice conversation that night.

terrible source material, decent film

Sorry, but no. We know the parameters of what a different language could change and we can fabricate any kind of language looking to achieve any kind of result. Seeing through time is way out of that, just like flying or moving objects with our minds

I experience an arrival every time I see Amy Adams if you comprehend my meaning

>studying psychology
ok user

I enjoyed the film but I think the emotional aspects and the sci-fi clashed. The idea of knowing your fate and having to live with it is interesting but it feels shoehorned in. This movie could have worked well as a more straightforward film, similar to The Andromeda Strain. That movie had no overarching narrative, heady messages, or major character development. It was just a straight dive into how a few scientists could identify and eliminate an alien organism.

Qué?

150 years ago human flight was inconceivable. By simple manipulation of materials in our 3d environment we were able to achieve that. We exist in a temporal dimension and it's possible that one day we'll find ways to traverse that as well. It's also possible that through manipulation of neural pathways the brain can perceive time differently

>150 years ago human flight was inconceivable

lol

I liked the build-up to their first encounter with the aliens. Thought it was really well paced and loved the sense of mystery. You had absolutely no idea what to expect inside the ship. I can't think of any other films that manage to capture something like that.

Overall it was kind of mediocre but that's standard Villenueve fare (haven't seen Bladerunner 2049, I'm hoping it's actually as good as people say)

Are you literally retarded. Even more than 150 ago we knew that flight doesn't contradict any laws of physics. Seeing the future does.

well i think that, in consideration of the short story it was based on, the film waBWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRURMMMMPPPHHH BWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHAHRRRMPUGGGGHHHHHHHGG and this was relatively unique in the more recent movies of the genre. Moreover, the directors use of foreshadowing and the interplay ofBWAAAAAARGGGHHHHARRUUUGGGHGGGGG BBBBBBBWWWWWWWAAAAAAAHHARGGGGUGURRGGHGGGMMPPMMMMMPHHHHH compare to prior films such as Contact and CE3K which were perhaps heavy handed or nostalgic regarding such things.

Good movie until the last 10 minutes that beat you over the head with childish montage and narration the explain THE ENTIRETY OF THE MOVIE instead if treating the audiencr like adults

I'm afraid the other anons are right. As much as I'm fascinated with the premise of the movie and with the movie itself (which is very good btw) it's just not physically feasible. I learn languages for a living, obviously there is the chance that an alien language might help us achieve a different point of view (as a matter of fact it most certainly would) it would be impossible for it to allow us to see through time.

Maybe if we somehow contacted our future selves and they spoke an entirely different language (this is a huge strech btw, even factoring in evolution our phonatory system would remain pretty much the same) we could gather some more useful information on the evolution of languages, but that's about it. Even if their grammar were something completely alien to us we coud, theoretically, gather more information about the ways we percieve time, but it would basically be just as useful as learning chinese for an English speaker.

Forgettable

Really liked it, hope small scale sci fi like this continues to find enough of a market to keep getting made.

>hope small scale sci fi like this continues to find enough of a market to keep getting made.
of course you do.

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

at least interstellar was a good drama, this doesnt even have that much going for it

its good but not great and i think its denis' worst work

A person's reaction to this film is a good measure of their understanding of science fiction as a medium. If they go on about how the concepts presented are "impossible" because "we know" then they don't understand the point of science fiction.

This is pretty much exactly how I felt about it.

The twist was obvious halfway through, but then it really tries to hammer it into you at the end. It was fucking retarded.

Reddit likes it, so it's shit, there is your answer :P

I think that Amy Adams would be fun to mate with

When will this pasta end?

When the Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi trend dies.

competently made but overhyped

just like everything Villeneuve makes

youtube.com/watch?v=G8U21reHexg
awful

Just because you know where a movie is going with its plot doesn't mean it is retarded.
>muh plot
>muh answers
>muh twist
This is the language of plebs. Rise above it.

exactly. this kind of shit is how Shyamalan convinced everyone he wasn't a hack.

denis' worst movie

Never seen it.

Why can't they make sci-fi movies that aren't weird? It's always muh love-dimension these days.

>watching for the plot
>calling yourself smart

You're one of those people who will watch a movie with other people and smugly point out where the plot is going and how it will end and then even more smugly say "SEE? I TOLD YOU SO. I TOLD YOU THEY WERE ALREADY ON THE PLANET THE WHOLE TIME. I AM VERY SMART" even though everyone else in the room also realized the same thing 15 minutes into the movie but didn't feel the need to point it out because they are normal people.

Pandorum was shit tho

Ted Chiang is Greg Egan for brainlets

any science fiction writer is Poul Anderson for brainlets

I loved it. The idea that it's somehow bad because you can figure out the twist is one of those "intellectual" statements that those people never realize makes them sound like children.

My only real issue was Renner, who came off less as a mathematician and more like a "cool English teacher" type. I couldn't buy him in the role, he was trying way too hard to be laid-back and fun.

samefag

>"samefag!" he screeched "samefag! I can tell by the manner of your posting and having seen many samefags in my time on this anonymous image board!"

lrn 2 Sup Forums

or kill yourself, I don't really give a shit

t. villeneuvecuck

watching this on the cinema made me a Villeneuvefag
As a linguistic seeing real theories in a flick was very satisfying

Pretty good. Reminded me of Contact but more modern. Great sound design. The main issue with it os that the ending was a dumb time Paradox

Is linguistics, as a discipline, interesting? Or is it just... how shall I say? Boring in real life? Arrival got me interested in it, in a popular science kind of way.

enough already with the newfag filters.
when will you neckbeards be satiated that I don't have to taste this stale pasta every single day?

>>"dullest pasta!" he screeched "dullest! I can tell by the manner of your posting and having seen many pastas in my time on this anonymous image board!"

lrn 2 Sup Forums

or kill yourself, I don't really give a shit

Was the ending really a paradox or is there some way the chinese guy would know what to tell her to tell jim no matter what because he sees time in circles? It seems like a paradox to me but I might just be a brainlet

>jim
*him

I just realized... the tiny flying thingys in BR2049 that served as visual aids for Leto looked exactly like the spaceships in Arrival

Movie was OK, book was much better.