Watched it today for the first time since childhood and loved. And what's Sup Forums opinion on Anastasia?

Watched it today for the first time since childhood and loved. And what's Sup Forums opinion on Anastasia?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LWwKdejZLfE
youtube.com/watch?v=gVCpZ1CvdSU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think it's got some fans here
The lyrics to "In the dark of the night" used to be reposted here semi regularly

Good music but shit mosty, besides is just an american propaganda

Good to know. For me, the most interesting musical piece was during Anastasia's dream sequence.

>American propaganda
Isn't the whole premise of it based on a popular urban legend regarding the fate of Anastasia when the family was executed?

I always thought it was fucked up and inappropriate to make a movie about a young girl who was executed by communists as if she had secretly escaped and got to live happily ever after.

Rasputin needed a larger role, he just has his music number, then shows up and gets his mcguffin smashed and dies. Also could have done without the out of place looking insects.

The male lead was too generic. It was like they just tried to copy Jack from Titanic.

I remember the bat having a lot of focus on it in the ads and merchandise when the movie first came out, but served little to no real need. Usually a character like that is used to have a character talk with someone, but not have people question why they are talking to themselves, but Rasputin monologues to himself constantly, the bat even pointed it out.

Overall it was decent, but suffered from an abrupt ending and some generic characters. Anastasia and Rasputin had nice animation and models, but everyone else came off as cardboard. Most of the film is rather dull in tone, I understand that its Russia and everything is bleak and washed out, but they could have used some more color.

Not like they would put it in a kids film, but it would have been funny if Rasputin made a mention to his missing 13'' horse cock as it is in a museum.

The point of the movie is just to celebrate princesses, but that means Russia's communist revolution is rather unflatteringly portrayed.
In this movie the public are okay with the Tsar until Rasputin magically compels them to revolt out of spite. And then people want Anastasia to be alive and return to public life because they miss her, and don't feel their lives were much improved by the revolution.
All quite contrary to the way Russia wants its history perceived.

How should the revolution be portrayed?

>fat at the base narrow around the head.
That's a horrible penis.

the revolution itself is the people taking what's theirs from oppressive royals.

how they handled it after getting it is another story.

but the revolution itself was a good thing.

The preferred narrative is that the public chose to overthrew the Tsar for their own good reasons, the royal family and its rule were not missed by anyone after that, and that things got better under communist rule.

Might look a little better if it had, you know, blood pressure.

>young girl executed
>animated movie about secret escape of her and happy ending
Anne Frank movie when?

Nothing is good if it deals with communism.

>oh noes, the workers own what they work on

I feel like that was a really common knock against the movie, being an upbeat Disney-like story about a very tragic historical event.
But then, most of the fairy tales that make up the Disney Princess canon originally involved a lot of death and gore themselves.

Mulan had a pretty high body count

The revolution was a ploy by the Germans to take Russia out of WWI, and was spearheaded by bourgeois larping as a prol

But they didn't. Instead of a fat guy in monocle with a top hat taking it, it was a fat guy with a fur cap with a hammer and sickle on it taking it

I haven't watched it in a few years, but I have exceedingly fond memories of it.

Planning to buy a physical copy at some point.

Most Disney movies aren't based on true stories though. I think Pocahontas gets a similar level of criticism as Anastasia.

I know Pocahontas was criticized for its portrayal of history in just about every direction.
And Hunchback of Notre Dame was put down for trying to make a family movie about such dark and complex subject matter.

>how they handled it after getting it is another story

>the revolutionaries storming the palace were absolutely fine with the Czar beforehand
>they are the only people living in Russia

I remember liking the animation as a kid but hating the story because "EWWW GIRLS"

And... the thread magically turns into Sup Forums!

you use the word 'proved' too lightly

It was pretty shit, especially considering it was made by Don Bluth.

Once upon a december is still pretty phenomenal to watch, the music and visuals are just fucking gorgeous.

The story itself is more than a little wobbly, but even knowing that, I can still appreciate the movie.

Speaking of December, last Christmas I realized that the song about teaching Anna about manners sounds a lot like "We Need a Little Christmas."

>B-b-but REAL communism h-hasn't been tried!

The quote is to this discussion what Mission Hill's "That is so Kafkaesque" is to Kafka

Art wise, the blend between 3D and 2D is awkward. And I fucking hate that use of green for the dark magic

Very good music, a nice break from the corny Disney stuff with overly catchy melodies.

Once upon a december best song
In the dark of the night also great.

I love the film. I really like the plot. The plot is driven by the characters' motivations, that feel very natural and authentic.
The whole film, from plot and charaters to art is impregnated with a strong sense of past, remembrance, the bygone days, that build a very rich world and becomes one of the central motifs. I've always loved that sort of stuff, and seeing it is a strong memory from my childhood, so it's very close to my heart

>until Rasputin magically compels them to revolt out of spite
Yes. There's a line at the beginning that really made me mad

>"The spark of unhappiness in our country was fanned into a flame"
JESUS EVER LOING CHRIST
what a way to play off the Tzar's terrible rule, oppression and famine just as a "spark of unhappiness"

>and that things got better under communist rule.

i love Dark of the night, but fuck the cheesy quirky magic bullshit.

I think she's pretty hot

>why is real life leaking into a film portaying real life events!
I like my cartoons with thought provoking content, even if unintendedly

Its cool and an all, but unfortunately Sup Forums managers to convert almost any political topic into a full-scale flame war.

It says "preferred narrative," which is not necessarily the truth. If you mean that the failures of the Soviet Union have been acknowledged in Russia since it collapsed, I'm sure that's true to an extent. But I understand there's a lot of nostalgia for the Soviet Union in Russia even today.

I've read a text of someone who lived in Russia in the 1930's, but cannot find it.
It explained a bit the process of gulaggin people, and really shed light on how the conditions of the farmers were *really* shitty and they took very seriously the penalty, only applying it to people who actively oppressed the shit out of them and starved them.
People forget that they weren't just thristy for blood, but it's that actually before the revolution there was a literal feudal system in place that starved the peasants and made the elites richer

The soviet union was shit, and their ideals were shit to administer the economy, because their planning was terrible and lacked flexibilty. But it's not because the workers owned the means of production, is was shit mangement coupled with corruption and general shittiness of the nation.

and cheesecake

For most people the nostalgia doesn't mean that they want to return there. It's just nostalgia, romanticized memories of their youth and the era that has gone.

You mean the preferred narrative in modern Russia? Nah, they can't get their shit together for propaganda, there's no ideology and there are all sorts of opinions. It's an issue they can't say anything about without alienating at least smeone, so they just focus on other stuff, like how Russia heroically defended against the Nazis and against Napoleon before that, and Poland before that etc.

>things got better under communist rule
I don't think many people really believe that.

There was no way it couldn't have happened. It was like with the French Revolution, only there was WW1 going on, a war that nobody wanted in the first place, and it wasn't going well, the morale was pretty much nonexistent, soldiers deserted at unimaginable rates, the Tsar couldn't do anything about anything, there had been a revolt attempt in 1905-1907, but the Tsar didn't learn anything, and there was Lenin with Germans backing him up.

I am still hoping for a Disney movie, taking place in Soviet Russia....

youtube.com/watch?v=gVCpZ1CvdSU

This thing is somehow both comfy and terrifying

>implying cheesecake is bad

I liked the movie even if it's not historically accurate or anything. It was still entertaining enough to watch.

>tfw there will be never an epic movie about civil war

To me it looks somewhat weird. It's 1979, the Stagnation period, nobody believes in Communism anymore, and that revolutionary fevour that this parade is supposed to celebrate contrasts greatly with the mood of the people, and even the weather knows better than whoever organised the parade.

The 1990 parade was an absolutely crap. Everything was organized so bad, seems that thse country will go to the oblivion soon....

I'm not familiar with the history of it too much so nothing really bothered me in that sense.

I'd give it an 8/10. Loved the songs a lot. Most memorable part for me was the ship sleepwalking scene.

Also is there a cuter animated dog than Pooka?

I unironically enjoyed the Dingo Pictures version more.

jesus, that's what the dog looked like? man, they weren't even trying to make it not look like disney