Overall, which show is better? I'm honestly having a hard time picking between the two

Overall, which show is better? I'm honestly having a hard time picking between the two.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jm3DB-mfEuo
youtube.com/watch?v=tgCzKdKH0VY
youtube.com/watch?v=DtTQ-8npkWY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Legitimately laughed when I saw this.
Samurai Jack obviously.

People are going to bitch about this being bait but they are both high quality shows based on their own distinct merits, with Samurai Jack being stylistically striking and Steven Universe being down-to-earth and compelling.

Steven is a little too heavy handed with its morals. Ends up feeling more like an after school special at times than a lesson the character learned.

Samurai Jack never breaks the immersion of "This is Jack's story and I can never see the puppet strings of the artists/writers".

ebbin bait

Steven Universe and Smaurai Jack are both top tier shows, but Samurai Jack has way fewer bad episodes, while Steven Universe is chock full of "decent" episodes, and more than a couple straight up awful episodes.

I don't consider SU a top tier show.

It would be if it were more like Samurai Jack.

>People are going to bitch about this being bait
It obviously is

Uhh...yeah, duh.

They are incredibly different and aim for different goals, but I think that Samurai Jack reaches its self imposed goals much more gracefully than Steven Universe does its own.

are you stupid one is an epic story and the other one talks about ice cream sandwiches come on faggot.

Even if it was a topic wroth talking about, do you think OP had anything in mind but bait?

Ya like jazz and bait threads?

You're remembering wrong, Jack talked about ice cream, not ice cream sandwiches.

I don't remember ice cream sandwiches in Samurai Jack...

steven is cool and all. but it doesn't have a good villain yet. I hope white will be legitimately threatening

you faggots for real comparing samurai fucking jack to a fucking 11-year-old faggot come on, you people got no taste.

It'd fit that the white diamond was the main villain in a show like Steven Universe.

Can we instead talk about how a training exchange between the two would be cool as shit.
I mean fuck, I'm fairly certain Jack has superior sword skills to anyone in Steven Universe seen so far.

Yellow Diamond is cool though.

Don't you LET'S MAKE A PLAN OF ATTACK

Symbionic Titan has the best parts of these shows as one. The Action and Gendy style of Jack together with the slice of life character development real world aspects of Steven Universe.

this
it really is true that tweens from tumblr invaded this place if they really have to argue over which is better: a show that is cheaply animated in a 15-minute format or a show that won a half dozen Emmys

Jack could massacre the Crystal Gems, even though he has much less experience than them. And since there's no blood, even the Jack from the first seasons would be allowed to cut them up with no restrains whatsoever.

I didn't like Samurai Jack all that much, but as time goes on I dislike SU more and more, so I can't quite tell.

Sym Bionic Titan is amazing and one of the best shows I've seen in a while. I'm currently watching it for the first time and there is something about it that just makes me nostalgic about my childhood when I used to sit in my living room and watch action cartoons. However, unlike Samurai Jack it's kinda generic in many of its choices. Not bad, just stuff we've seen before; Jack was incredibly innovative for its time.

>Sup Forums has no taste
And it took you this long to notice it?

you are one of those fags who only watch slice of life cartoons.

>Jack could massacre the Crystal Gems, even though he has much less experience than them.
There were tons of regular humans even he couldn't beat in his own show, why would he beat the Crystal Gems?

Plus I don't think his sword is allowed to cut them up since they're not evil.

REMINDER.

That Genndy links Steven Universe.

>Worked on the pilot.

And is a good reason for why Rebecca had the chance to pinch it to the network.

>There were tons of regular humans even he couldn't beat in his own show, why would he beat the Crystal Gems?
Name them.

>>Worked on the pilot.
I´m surprised the pilot didn't have more nudity.

Not him, but:

Scotsman

The cowboy bounty hunter and his girlfriend working together

Genndy was just a timing director for the pilot

It has a strong creative vision and direction, be it bogged down by filler and bad storyboarders as is, way stronger than 99% of cartoons. If the execution was more consistent it would easily be top 10 cartoons of all time.

The Guardian wasn't a human (I think?) but he was also another guy Jack can't beat.

Purely circumstantial. He could beat the Scotsman in pretty much everything if not for the fact they were fighting in a narrow bridge that played to the Scotsman's advantage, and even then they could only reach a draw.
The cowboy bounty hunter wasn't human, and he managed to beat him and his ex-wife in the end on his own.

Samurai Jack can convey the character of a character in one episode and have them be memorable while Steven Universe often needs 3-7 episodes to develop a character. Regardless of one being 20 minutes and the other being 10 minutes long, Alot of the characters in Samurai Jack are more memorable than Steven Universe's

SBT isn't good. It's very generic and lazy with its high school premise, and the giant robots take away from the swordplay and gunplay which are easily Tarcovsky's strongest tools.

It had a fuckton of potential, like Danny Phantom, but I'd argue it's the worst of Genndy's shows that is overrated because it was cut down before its prime.

The Guardian is an entity with eons behind his back and an infinite array of weapons at his disposal who has never been defeated. He hardly counts as human. The fact that Jack managed to hold his own against him for so long speaks wonders of Jack's skill.

To be fair, most of Samurai Jack's characters are stereotypes.

Samurai Jack has more memorable characters, Steven Universe's strength is in its multifaceted characters. Each character in the main cast is extremely well rounded, in part due to all the time we spend with them dealing with their hangups. In particular Steven himself is easily the most developed protagonist in western animation outside of maybe Aang and Finn.

>most of Samurai Jack's characters are stereotypes
Examples please. Expy's yes but sterotypes?

>Samurai Jack has more memorable characters
Yeah like the Scotsman, and... that one robot gangster...?

But thats one of its problems, its spent nearly 80+ episodes fleshing out its characters which ends up drawing away from its other elements, the pacing of alot of episodes feel extremely rushed, the build up to alot of events are usually under developed and with very little pay off, remember when the earth was going to be destroyed? The pay off for that was extremely shallow.

Steven Universe may have a really well rounded main cast but everything else suffers, even the supporting cast feels lacking.

The Scotsman, all of the Bounty Hunters, Jack himself, most of the tribes and civilization he trains with, X-9 too, the flying prince and princess, Da Samurai...

>Forgetting about greatest bounty hunter of all

The cowboy was human dude.

And he just beat them, when he noticed that the wife would fucking the guy over. Basically, if they work as a team, they can catch him, but divided he takes both down.

>"oh man, Samurai Jack is so fucking cool, he'd totally slice that little FAGGOT Steven in half with his badass ninja sword and show tumblr and then he'd have sex with a girl, he's going to save TV for REAL men, I'm a twentysomething adult"

There is a bunch more characters than just those two, Try watching the show some time.

The definition of a stereotype is 'a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.'

Nearly all of those characters you mentioned had various research put into them, The Scotsman has a lot of things hinting to his history from the sword he uses to the whole basis of the 2nd episode with him, Many of the Tribes he was in also got fleshed out, the African tribe actually had historical masks and the swords the rival tribe used was also historical portrayed as close as possible.

>>
Of the top of my head:
Aku, the Scotsman, Demongo, the demon of the haunted house, The Ultra Bots, the scientist who made them, the African tribe, the Bounty Hunters, the cowboy bounty hunters, the viking warrior, Da Samurai, the Monks, the kids from the Rave...

This guy sure looks human, doesn't he?

You sound triggered, user. Besides, I only said that Jack would beat the Crystal Gems in a fight because another user asked how a showdown would go. In reality, I´m sure Jack and Steven would become friends instantly.

Number one the cluster is still a major plot point. I said this after the episode released and now it's confirmed as a plot point.

You're completely right though. The show suffers because of its character focused perspective, and the episode pacing is fucked all to hell.

>oh wow I just came from tumbler and I don't know what samurai jack is or what his story or the philosophical question that the cartoon shows I only like ice cream sandwiches.

Have you always been this stupid?

Shit, forgot the picture.

I haven't read through the thread yet, but I assume this bait is working well.

>Basically, if they work as a team, they can catch him, but divided he takes both down.
In reverse, that sounds like a Steven Universe episode where the Gems beat Jack by fusing.

can he tell me how to get to sesame street?

YES!
Speak for yourself, I´m just glad we're talking about Samurai Jack.

Not that autist, but the gems are pretty fucking strong. Jack has some bullshit feats on him, but some of the top tier gems are fucking ridiculous. Lapis has global tier hydrokenesis, and was literally designed to terraform planets. Jasper can tank orbital impacts. And the other characters, with fusion, regularly surpass their power.

Jack could still win, but it wouldn't be a curbstomp.

Would Aku be able to curve stomp the diamonds tho?

It'd be a interesting fight, that's for sure. I´m sorry if I implied that it would be an insta win for Jack, but I still consider he'd be able to win.

Nothing sort of real actual gods or tools made by gods can kill him, so yeah, he'd win. That's literally what makes Aku so dangerous. He isn't the most skilled fighter nor the most powerful being of his universe, but his almost immortality is what put him on top of the food chain.

Maybe that's why the pilot was decent but then I lost all interest post pilot.

Thread hijack: VS thread.
Could Makuta beat Aku?

I am pretty sure eye lazers can melt plastic user :^)

>thread saved

And I'm pretty sure 42 powers and control of shadows and a hand that can absorb people could beat a drawing.

Not even really responding to any specific claim being made, just suggesting that maybe some of you guys might want to settle down a bit and think about the extent to which you sound like an 11 year-old when discussing this topic, also hate to see how the new Samurai Jack season has to turn into just another culture war signifier just like everything else these days

As someone who used to watch SU, it get's way more praise then it deserves.

It probably get more hate then it deserves as well but it's also no particularly great either. The pacing is absolutely horrendous, some of the worst I've ever seen, constantly going back and forth from plot driven drama to slice of life with no rhyme or reason and in long periods of time. They're could be a giant supernatural threat going on and an episode would be about Steven trying to annoy Lars.

Best way to describe SU is "inconsistent". The animation is inconsistent, the writing is inconsistent even character development recently, which was SU's biggest strength, has become inconsistent recently. Sometime's they do an amazing job animation fluid movement and telling engaging stories, but most of the time it's incredibly mediocre and badly done.

Samurai Jack has some great highs and an overall consistent good quality.
Steven Universe has some great highs but an inconsistent quality where episodes range from okay to flat out terrible.

its not just another season samurai jack was a good show, but it got canceled and the story didn't finish so we have been stuck waiting for the ending since 2001 that 16 years jack so this season will be the final and the last season of samurai jack which will tell us his ending.

/thread
now shut up tumbler fags.

The show has weird looking humans.

This show has weird sounding women.

Why do you have to pit the two against each other? Both are enjoyable.

I'm certainly looking forward to the new Samurai Jack season, since it's supposedly going to have a definitive ending for Jack's journey. It's headed by Tartakovsky, and it's on Adult Swim.

Jack easily

even the worst Jack episodes are at least still kind of good / alright.

The pilot?
You mean the pilot that's nothing like the current show?

Reminder that Samurai Jack won 3 Emmys. SU hasn't won a single one and was only nominated for 1.

>It only got greenlighted because the CN execs saw Genndy's name in the credits

That's actually pretty good user, good job!

SU

jack is shit its basically western dragon ball, made to make autist happy about "action" while it has shit design shit minimal writing and nonexistent story

You know you can at least try to put some effort in your bait.

2, so far. 2015 and 2016 emmy nominees for short-format animation

/thread
We can all go back to the thicc thread now

I will when Genndy puts effort into his 2d paper-cutout character desighns and nonstory

Then you've got about 16 years of bait leaning to do fuck boi.

>Samurai Jack has some great highs and an overall consistent good quality.
>Steven Universe has some great highs but an inconsistent quality where episodes range from okay to flat out terrible.

thats because every episode of Jack is exactly the same

Foolish user. I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness would annihilate those pathetic gems and strip mine their planet. The emotionally stunted boy shall end up in the Pit of Hate to toil in it for the rest of his life. Even the vaunted Diamonds cannot hold up a candle to me. I will grind them into worthless rhinestones.

you could say the same thing about steven universe to.

youtube.com/watch?v=jm3DB-mfEuo

>That time Uncle Grampa roasted SU

>2016 democrat party nominations

I think you delierately picked two shows with antagonistic fanbases but whatever

SU has good but standard character design, SJ has an entire aesthetic for both characters and the landscape

SU has comfy moods in some episodes, SJ has dramatic tension in every episode

SU has a fairly unified plotline, while SJ tends towards monster of the week

SU does more with fewer characters, but SJ has more plot creativity

On the balance I pick SJ

Nothing inherently wrong with having a formula, so long as you make each episode distinct and interesting enough in their own right.

The three classic Indiana Jone's films are all "essentially the same", but they're all still very enjoyable and have enough differences in them to warrant appreciation and arguments of which one is superior The Last Crusade[/spolier]

Steven Universe is an example of a show that doesn't really know what it wants to be and as a result doesn't show any good results from all the influences mixed together. Most well made television, film, cartoons and comics and so on have a key element that writers put their clear focus on influences on. Not to say that they must repeat the same thing over and over, but rather they put all the strengths on what is the general idea of a show.

If you want to make a good action cartoon, you focus your best on the action and choreography. If you want a good world-building/lore cartoon, you focus on world-building, settings and so on. If you're really good, you can do a good job of mixing a couple of these elements together, but generally speaking there must be a line on the focus. You can't have your show a action/drama/comedy/romance/horror sci-fi without focusing on one or two and making the rest more of an afterthought to occasionally mix up the formula and add new situations for the characters to go through.

Steven Universe as a show is Master of None. It's a drama, it has romance, it has action, it's a slice of life but it also has a central plot and world building. It does some of these elements very well, more specifically drama, but at some point it's lack of focus and trying to juggle to many central ideas. You can't be the best slice of life but at the same time have a recurring story of intergalactic warfare. You just can't at some point you have to sacrifice one or the other.

(Cont).

Nothing inherently wrong with having a formula, so long as you make each episode distinct and interesting enough in their own right.

The three classic Indiana Jone's films are all "essentially the same", but they're all still very enjoyable and have enough differences in them to warrant appreciation and arguments of which one is superior.

Steven Universe is an example of a show that doesn't really know what it wants to be and as a result doesn't show any good results from all the influences mixed together. Most well made television, film, cartoons and comics and so on have a key element that writers put their clear focus and influences on. Not to say that they must repeat the same thing over and over, but rather they put all the strengths on what is the general idea of a show.

If you want to make a good action cartoon, you focus your best on the action and choreography. If you want a good world-building/lore cartoon, you focus on world-building, settings and so on. If you're really good, you can do a good job of mixing a couple of these elements together, but generally speaking there must be a line on the focus. You can't have your show a action/drama/comedy/romance/horror sci-fi without focusing on one or two and making the rest more of an afterthought to occasionally mix up the formula and add new situations for the characters to go through.

Steven Universe as a show is Master of None. It's a drama, it has romance, it has action, it's a slice of life but it also has a central plot and world building. It does some of these elements very well, more specifically drama, but at some point it's lack of focus and trying to juggle to many central ideas. You can't be the best slice of life but at the same time have a recurring story of intergalactic warfare. You just can't at some point you have to sacrifice one or the other.

Pokemon did this well.

>You can't be the best slice of life but at the same time have a recurring story of intergalactic warfare. You just can't at some point you have to sacrifice one or the other.

The show is like 60% or 70% slice of life, so that's the answer i guess

Aku can beat the shit out of a lot of stuff, Diamonds included. He's an immortal shapeshifter with a wide array of magical spells; in combat he uses fire breath and god damned laser eyes.
And not only does he turn into various animals for combat, he can simply become an amorphous blob of tentacled darkness, Lovecraftian style.
He's also more or less immune to most weapons. The only weapon show to hurt, let alone seal/kill him is a holy sword made of of solidified virtue, and I doubt the Gems have one lying around.

This isn't even counting the seemingly limitless minions and bounty hunters he has access to, but when Aku personally comes to fight he's gonna wreck your shit. The first episode shows him tearing down Japan solo.

Jack vs the Zombies is also a good display of his personal combat prowess.
youtube.com/watch?v=tgCzKdKH0VY
youtube.com/watch?v=DtTQ-8npkWY

Nice bait, holy shit.

This is absolutely true, the tumblr teenagers and lgbt 'it's so progressive!' autists need to fuck right off. The one thing that Gook Moot could do to improve the site the most would be mass banning traps.

>way stronger than 99% of cartoons

Well, when the only competition is either stuff for young children or completely hot garbage like Teen Titans Go, it's pretty easy to make the top 10 shows. I mean...can you name any other show (besides Samurai Jack) that appeals so heavily to the 18-25 demographic, even if it IS tumblr? It's just that there's no competition, not that it's a good show.

I just came from tumblr and I don't understand quality, the post.