How come Singapore doesn't make any films...

How come Singapore doesn't make any films? I generally think of it as very similar to Hong Kong which has an incredible history of film production.

Have you ever seen even a single film from Singapore?

Because Jack Neo is a pedophile and all we are all sick of Ah boys to men 10: electric Jigaboo

Also Mediacorp, who is controlled by the Authoritarian government, controls media. It's a fucking hassle to make anything with shitloads of permits everywhere not forgetting some themes like sex, religion and ethnicity are a big no-no.

Face it. Singapore has talentless drones for citizens and those that do excel go overseas. Singapore has no future in movie making other than cheesy, overdone, absurd CNY movies and the occasional ah boys to men that solely cater to the local population.

Singapore is ruled by an autocratic asshole. you should really read William Gibson's essay about the place. he said it was like an even creepier disneyland.

There are a few films here and there but they are just sub par

Singaporeans are traditionally safe and risk adverse. film makers don't usually earn money hence many do not aspire to be a film maker.

ive been living in singapore for quite a while and
and
>Face it. Singapore has talentless drones for citizens and those that do excel go overseas. Singapore has no future in movie making other than cheesy, overdone, absurd CNY movies and the occasional ah boys to men that solely cater to the local population.
are pretty much true.

SG is the utmost nanny state existing where the government thinks for its citizen. Do you think that in such situation there could be any artistic initiative?

There's plenty of locally made movies and dramas that appeal only to locals because they use local dialects and inside lame jokes that would be unappetizing or cringy to foreigners.

Even 15 by Royston Tan, the most famous Singaporean movie overseas, is complete shit.

im singaporean and i don't even want to watch singaporean films or shows. the usual shit they show on tv is horrible and everyone seems to be gushing over ah boys to men but i think it fucking sucks. it's like bollywood, probably worse, because there will never be a singaporean film on the level of any of the hollywood greats. even the most basic blockbuster in hollywood is more professionaly done and marketed than the most highest grossing singaporean film. they're just done very differently and singaporean films can never reach that level. and everything is based on local topics and it just gets stale. there's no variety.

not enough box office haul

Lack of talent. 99% of singaporeans are boring drone cucks.

>"why isn't every country ran like the US of A?!"

Singapore is one of the most prosperous, safe and clean cities in the world despite being a multicultural melting pot, running a city state as if it were a corporation seems to be working rather well and it's an interesting experiment if nothing else

it only works because its so easy to enforce control over population in such a tiny land.

thx it was a nice read

Singapore is nothing like Hong Kong.

Hong Kong is the capital of laissez faire, aka "live and let live", aka "uncontrolled free market Darwinism". Ideas thrive there by mixing the east and the west and producing something unique and original out of it.

Singapore is a literal fascist one party state with government mandated ethnic quotas that need to be maintained in the whole of society. Ideas don't grow there, they die. You succeed in Singapore by copying your government's idea of the past. You literally get jailed for chewing gum in Singapore.

HK always had a movie scene since it is more 'liberal' than Singapore. I recommend Ilo Ilo though

Unironically this

This is way too outdated desu

I can't help but notice that Singapore has a higher GDP per capita than HK...

When your government mandates all citizens to forgo all meaning in life for a unified drone life towards making money, it's natural that your GDP will be high.

singapore is like 50 years old and much younger than HK.
history accounts for a lot when you try to understand citizens, culture, scene etc.

you can't compare HK to SG .
It's more sensible instead to compare SG to Dubai. When you do that you'll see that the kind of lifestyle and close-minded approach is more more common in these younger cities.

Shut the fuck up Singacuck and accept you are just a minuscule cog in the PAP money making machine.

But I have though

Also don't forget that HK has always been receiving an influx of all kinds of people from the mainland since the start of 20th century hence is more or less the cultural melting point of China. Singapore on the other hand not so much...

>Singapore needs more Mainlanders to stay relevant!!!

am not even singaporean

Yes

That wasn't what i said. The artists from China tended to congregate in Hong Kong than Singapore from the very start, so it is no surprise that Hong Kong has a larger and more vibrant culture than Singapore

they dont need to make them, they can buy them and pay others too.

heh heh heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

if you only knew...

this looks comfy af

>In his memoirs, Lee Kuan Yew recounted that as early as 1983, when he was still serving as Prime Minister, a proposal for the ban was brought up to him by the then Minister for National Development. Chewing gum was causing serious maintenance problems in high-rise public housing flats, with vandals disposing of spent gum in mailboxes, inside keyholes and even on lift buttons. Chewing gum left on the ground, stairways and pavements in public areas increased the cost of cleaning and damaged cleaning equipment. Gum stuck on the seats of public buses was also considered a problem.
>in mailboxes, inside keyholes and even on lift buttons

It really does take despostic control to make the Chinese not disgusting.

Singanon here, please elaborate

I've been to Singapore twice (my gf is from Singapore)
Other than the fucking insane heat/humidity, I really like it down there. The airport is fucking stupid too, but it's a really cool place to visit. Not sure it's great to live there though.

I've only watched one movie from Singapore called "Problem no end"
I didn't get any of it. It was all sort of jokes and jabs at Singapore problems you'll only know about if you live there.

Singapore children lose creativity as soon as they start school.

They'd rather be a banker or consultant or they would be scorned by their family.
You can't have everything.

they are more business than artistic

looks amazing at night

>all these fellow singaporeans on a 4chins board

not enough movies shot here.

Where's Europe?
Who cares about Hollywood? Why is there no Singaporean Wong Kar Wai?
Kek, this sounds like some Chinese propaganda and I hate the US. Fuck off.
And? Hong Kong movies are obviously in another league.