Disney Parks thread

3 months away from Pandora opening. How do you think it will fare?

youtube.com/watch?v=xVqlvkdclVw

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.dudasite.com/site/jimhillmedia?url=http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2005/05/20/608.aspx&utm_referrer=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/#3042
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is Avatar Sup Forums?
and pretty meh, I'd say

That thumbnail makes it look like a creepy face is on the side of that thing.

it's a stupid idea that movie has been forgotten

How long before a Na'avi roleplayer gets arrested and hauled out for trying to live there?

I'm still waiting on avatar 2 it's been almost a decade

That's not even the best thing Animal Kingdom got this year.

Render that time people got depressed that pandora wasn't real and there were never gonna live in a kickssd alien clone body and fuck blue godesses

Why the fuck was this made?
It's the most unnecessary addition to a theme park I've ever seen.

Harry Potter caught Disney management so off-guard that Bob Iger just scrambled to find any outsider IP that could be a counterattack and ended up settling on the most forgettable billion-dollar earner ever.

Disney put in a bid for Harry Potter theme park rights.
It was just Toy Story Mania with wands.
JK Rowling told them to fuck off with their weak ass pitch.
Universal Studios got the rights.
Disney panicked.
"What's this? Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time?! BUY IT"

That was years ago.

Will Star Wars Land save the Disney Parks once Avatar Land flops?

Isn't James Cameron still threatening to do four sequels? What was that, almost ten years ago? The movie came out in fucking 2009.

Another bit of trivia: The Super Mario Bros movie back in the 90s was meant to be the first project between Disney and Nintendo (it was produced by Hollywood Pictures, one of the various studios Disney owned back in the 90s) and there were talks of a theme park deal to follow afterwards.

Then the movie came out, proceeded to be a fucking trainwreck, and Nintendo cut all ties with Disney. Hence why Sega became such a huge component of Epcot's Innoventions in the 90s and why when Nintendo decided to do theme park stuff again, they went with Universal.

It's almost surreal like it was here made a shitload of money than left like a hooker in the morning and no one heard of it again

Avatarland flopping won't hurt the parks division that badly. Magic Kingdom's been pulling most of the weight in Florida anyways.

Plus Avatar's a definite one and done. Oriental Land Company fucking laughed at them when they tried pitching it as a possible Tokyo Disney expansion too and that Adventure Isle section at Shanghai is basically an off-brand earthbound version of Pandora already.

>At Animal Kingdom last summer
>Look up and see floating rocks over the trees
>Briefly think "Oh shit Zendikar"
>Become extremely disappointed

Na'vi are just fucking weird to look at

That's actually the nice thing about Avatar. When Avatar 2 gets cancelled because James Cameron dies before shooting or something, Disney can just convert Avatarland into some variation on the original Beastly Kingdom concept they had for getting fantasy creatures into the park because Avatar was so goddamn derivative anyways. Reskin the banshees into griffins and pegasi or something, overlay the boat ride with Fantasia, and build the dragon's keep roller coaster and there you go.

Less the original storybook style fantasy world, more album cover fantasy world.

I thought Beastly Kingdom was scrapped because Islands of Adventure essentially beat them to it regarding most of the attractions

I think this is 7-8 years too late.

I'm curious, Sup Forums, what do you think about this?

>Mini Area somewhere around Toontown or New Fantasyland
>4D theatre, Motion Sim, gift shop, meet n greet.
>All designed to be easily reskinned every few years
>TV characters go there.

What do you think? You'd rotate stuff out as shows come and go.

what other rides and areas would you guess want Disney to add?

Essentially what happened was they could only get either Beastly Kingdom or Dinoland ready for launch and they went with Dinoland because of the Dinosaur movie. Some of the Imagineers on the project ended up jumping ship to Universal and brought some of those ideas with them.

Disney was tossing around ways to salvage the concept, including one that would have dipped more into the animation catalog or building a version of Tokyo DisneySea's Mysterious Island, but these fell to the wayside around early 2008.

Rivers of Light actually started development as a night parade during that same time, but the parade idea was scrapped because they'd have to mow down a lot of landscaping to expand the paths enough for viewing and crowd flow and that'd just fuck with the feeling the park was supposed to have. What's amazing is when they rebooted Rivers of Light as a water show, it ended up ditching the cartoon characters in favor of nature footage and mystical shaman stuff.

OK.
>Tear down the Magic Kingdom Speedway. Boom, you now have double the space to play with in Tomorrowland.
>Add Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom to the land with D0R-15, Turbo/King Candy, and the MCP as villains.
>Add a kickass Wreck It Ralph restaurant with themed dining rooms.
>Litwak Arcade Waiting area with real arcade games and replicas of the ones from the movie.
>Nicelanders' Garden Party.
>Sugar Rush Raceway Buffet
>Calhoun's Canteen.
>Each is immacuately decorated to resemble the areas from the movie.
>CGI characters caper around in projected backgrounds.
>Premium quality food. Not the cheap stuff.

>CGI characters caper around in projected backgrounds
fucking
GENIUS

Bring Dreamfinder home to Epcot. Reincorporate elements of Horizons into different parts of Future World.

Replace the Dino-Rama carnival with a dark ride that actually uses the "Roadside Dinosaur tourist trap" concept correctly and functions like some prehistory hybrid of the Jungle Cruise and Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

Put that Mickey ride rumored as a Great Movie Ride replacement into the Animation Building instead.

That's actually a damn good idea I wish Disney would waste so many opportunities by not updating shit for a decade their Disney park innovation should be a constant thing

I hope this will happen but I'm worried it's just too optimistic.

I have a feeling Avatarland may stick around for a long damn time before any kind of retooling, and I wouldn't be surprised if they go with something almost as dumb as Avatar instead of deciding to actually do Beastly Kingdom.

Alright guys, questions for you.

I was originally planning an October-ish trip to Disneyworld, but once I started doing the math it was pretty scary, and I wasn't sure I could save up enough in time. So now, after talking with my family (when I was talking about the idea, they thought it sounded fun), we're ALL gonna go next spring.

1) There's currently some really good deal on 4 day parkhopper tickets; is that usually an annual thing? IE, can I hope for some kind of good deal on tickets next spring, too?

2) Is the discount in the spring worth the season, or will it be miserable/too busy? Would it be better to try to plan that family trip for October after all?

3) Whichever we go with, what's the best way to plan it out? Should I use some kind of travel agent (do those still exist?) or do all of it myself? How far out do I need to be booking stuff?

All I want is for Tangled to get more representation than a fucking bathroom

>use pocket change to hire people to figure out the average time tourists are in specific areas of the park
>create CGI clips of characters, fully voiced, for 110% of that average duration
>as people are walking by it feels like the park is really alive and full of Disney characters
>have it set on a timer so the CGI displays turn off when the costume actors are walking around to take pictures with the boys and girls

They wouldn't even have to hire people. Disney has park flow down to a science.

>See Tiana and Naveen having lunch in a cafe in New Orleans Square before getting spooked by a Haunted Mansion ghost.
>Rapunzel painting a mural in Fantasyland over the course of hours, with Eugene checking in on her and bringing her lemonade.
>Stitch getting into the wiring in Tomorrowland.

>Add a kickass Wreck It Ralph restaurant with themed dining rooms.
>Litwak Arcade Waiting area with real arcade games and replicas of the ones from the movie.

That would have been a good idea for Disney Quest

It's weird the never updated Disney quest the just shut it down

Disney Quest was a failed experiment. The idea was that they'd be a nationwide thing, but the Chicago one flopped, so they pulled the plug on the other ones they were planning to build.

They felt like it wasn't worth the effort to keep the surviving DisneyQuest up to date with new virtual rides and basically abandoned new development after opening the Pirates ride. Like to a point where Cyberspace Mountain's "Souvenir ride video" is still sold on VHS.

Did Disney every do anything at all with Oswald in Magic Kingdom?

Putting aside the whole "8 years too late" thing, I can see this doing pretty decently. Maybe not as good as Disney would want it to, but still better than we'd expect.

Not my knowledge, at least.

DisneyQuest is still open, but closing permanently "for real this time guys" this year. Considering they've announced it closing like three years in a row now, it's had a good run.
Besides merchandise, no. It's a shame because Oswald meeting in Hollywood Studios, at least, would be fun and actually make sense.

Clarice has been sighted during Disney vacation club moonlight magic event in magic kingdom

Bump.

Any advice?

This at Animal Kingdom? Haven't been in a while.

bumpin

Yeah, part of Rivers of Light. Show's presented as a lantern festival celebrating the natural world overseen by two elemental shamans and their apprentices. Animal spirits in the lanterns awaken and take us on a journey through the natural world, the aurora borealis (the rivers of light) and finally into the stars.

How do we fix it Sup Forums?

Already being done what with Star Wars and Toy Story expansions. Leave GMR out of it though. Mickey Ride should be a new build

>tfw everytime you try to make one of these threads you only get like 10-20 replies
this is my shit
will that be enough?

Reminding everyone that Rei is the best Disney princess at Disney World.

In light of the sudden push towards Marvel on the west coast, a couple of potentially crappy ideas have surfaced.

-Bring over the Tron Ride from Shanghai DL, and give it a Ghost Rider retheming.
-Bring back 'Adventure Thru Inner Space' with an Ant-Man motif.

>Ghost Rider
nowhere near a well enough known IP for a park ride. Iron Man would probably make more sense if it had to have a Marvel theme

My dad actually worked at the Festival of The Lion King show where Pandora is being built. Fucking James Cameron put my dad out of a job.

Is this the Japanese museum at Epcot?

Just learned that the Tree of Life was built on an Off-Shore Oil rig. Kind of puts things into perspective.

They relocated the show to the Africa area

Really? Huh, My dad doesn't work at Disney anymore so I figured the place was permanently shut down.

Keep Tower of Terror pure

That's pretty much a guarantee due to the little hiccup involving Marvel's park rights east of the Rockies.

Gotg is actually one of the things they can use in Florida. In fact, it might be shoved into Energy at Epcot

it's only the California version that's getting the rebranding to GOTG

the original Florida version is still going to be twilight zone

i don't think they can use anything marvel in Florida because of something with the theme park rights

can we just get the tron ride somewhere in the us?

People already at Animal Kingdom and locals will visit Avatarland, but no one is going to make a trip there like how people go to Universal specifically for Harry Potter or how people will go to Disneyland once Star Wars Land opens up. Thy will end up losing a lot of money n their investment. No one gives a single shit about Avatar anymore. People just mock it online for being forgettable.

He's a rare costumed character I believe.

who screamin here?

I thought Cars Land would be stupid as shit and it turned out to be one of my favourite things in California Adventure despite hating Cars movies so who knows, Avatar Land might be alright.

It was a pleasant surprise to stumble across it when I went with my family a few years ago, but even then it looked like it was clearly on its way out.

cars land is GOAT but idk why they didnt call it radiator springs

Is Radiator Springs Racers the greatest ride Disney has made in the last decade?

idk what else it could be

They changed it up

Well Midway Mania was and still is overrated shit and Everest broke almost immediately so I guess

Also rare Drossel

Avatar isn't, but the Disney parks are. We'd probably have a thread here if Disney grew big enough stones to, say, re-retheme the Stitch ride into an official Alien ride (they already have some degree of rights to the series, given the history of ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter and its continued presence in The Great Movie Ride).

I'm not sure who the Alien rights fall under, because Universal did an AvP maze for HHN a couple years ago.

Man, when did they change that up? That wasn't then when I went back in 2015.

That actually has potential, I like the idea of seasonal events to give me a reason to use my annual passes.

What is the best age to take a child to Disneyland? I recently became an uncle and my sister and I plan to take our niece to Disneyland when she's old enough to appreciate it (her mother/father aren't that big on it)

If you can get a good deal on tickets, go ahead an buy them.
Tickets don't expire until after first use, and there is no guarantee deals will come around again.
Spring is generally less busy than summer or Christmas time, but you have to watch out for the Cheer-leading competitions going on at that time, as they will ruin any ride you are on with them.
Don't use a travel agent, but if you want to be guaranteed to be in a popular restaurant (anything with characters, I hate those fucking things so I don't do it) you have to get reservations months in advanced. I would recommend a dinner at the California Grill, as it doesn't have Pluto trying to anally finger you, and offers the best views of Magic Kingdom fireworks. The Disney Hotels don't offer that huge of a benefit unless you stay at one of the monorail ones or EPCOT boardwalk ones, as you will still be driving or bussing to the parks.

I'm not sure what it originally looked like, this was when I went in November. I remember they use to have a bunch of old Japanese wind up toys on display.

Maybe AvP has separate rights from Alien alone. Maybe it's a similar deal to Marvel where Universal has the rights on one side of the Mississippi River and Disney has them on the other.

Mid 20s, and they should go with a significant other or very close friend. This fosters the best possible experience.

Isn't Lost Continent at IOA dead now because if Harry Potter?

Daft Punk show somewhere in Hollywood Studios based off their 2014 Grammy performance. I don't know where though. Old Radio studio (don't remember the name)?

>that can't be real, it looks too fucking stupi-
>it's real

Jesus fucking Christ.

>The Disney Hotels don't offer that huge of a benefit unless you stay at one of the monorail ones or EPCOT boardwalk ones, as you will still be driving or bussing to the parks.

Well, hotel guests do get the privilege of extra park hours, which can be beneficial if you go for the extra morning hours and get there right at park opening, which can allow you to cut down on time waiting in lines at the most popular attractions and let you fit more stuff in, especially if you're on a limited schedule. But if that perk isn't worth it to you or if you won't be entering the park right at opening, then it's not as advantageous.

I also recommend checking out the hotel restaurants instead of just the park restaurants. Not just the restaurants of the hotel you stay it (if you stay at one), but all around the resort. They're generally less crowded and offer better quality food and service, and many are just as good with theming as places in the parks.

around like 7-8 id say
>tfw mid 20s but you go alone

Going alone can be fun as shit, too. I just think going with one other close person can be slightly better.

My family took me during the week of my 8th birthday and although I did have fun (hard not to), I didn't appreciate or enjoy the experience nearly as much as I did going back as an adult with control over the vacation.

I would crap my pants over this, holy shit. Think they could just have them portrayed by animatronic "robots".

yeah going alone is fun no doubt but i still want a qt to go with
reminder that electronica was a thing

>Already teaching kids how to be neets
Disney, what are you doing!?

Nah, it's both Fox.

In retrospect an Alien ride really doesn't make much sense for Disney.

It's kinda like them wanting to do a Nightmare on Elm St. ride

Universal contract just covers Spidey, X Men, Avengers and Fantastic 4. Which means Guardians, Strange and Big Hero 6 are good to go. Only condition is they can't call it Marvel's whatever in the marketing

>Hey kids! Wanna go to Avatar land?
>The fuck is that daddy?
>Some awesome movie I saw before you were born! YAYUH!

Did they really blow an assload of money on this shit?

The George Lucas version of Alien Encounter

mobile.dudasite.com/site/jimhillmedia?url=http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2005/05/20/608.aspx&utm_referrer=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/#3042

all about screamin baby! cal adventure GOAT tier park

You know, I still find it hard to process that an animatronic Trump is going to be in the Hall of Presidents.

No, it covers every single character used in the park.
So if there is a picture of Dr. Strange in the corner of a gift shop, Disney can't use them.

They expected it to be a franchise they could milk before they acquired Marvel and Star Wars. Also they expected Cameron to actually put the films out on a regular basis.

Selling merchandise. "don't worry, kids, it's not weird to have wall to wall merch of your favorite character, no matter what your parents say! just look at this guy"