Why do people keep acting like this show is so special for all the themes it covers when so many other cartoons have...

Why do people keep acting like this show is so special for all the themes it covers when so many other cartoons have covered it before and better?

You don't see people praising Captain Planet for covering harsh topics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ddXlbI5oVqU
youtube.com/watch?v=T7gldYZDWrc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's pulling an Adveture Time. The slow pacing is killing it, except for the hardcore zealot like fans, so now it looks like its fanbase is nothing but retards who praise it with the highest of accolades. In reality it's maybe half a dozen dudes and Tumblr lesbians fetishizing the robots.

because you're autistic and think that's the only reason people like this show

I have plenty of friends who aren't into cartoons that like Steven Universe for other reasons

This. Season 1A was the best season.

>You don't see people praising Captain Planet for covering harsh topics.

Silly stupid user! Don't you have any grasp of scope and affect? Environmental problems aren't felt most of the time, and happen slowly (until it speeds up this century and kills us like we all deserve). So it got ignored and smiled at for being cute until the grimly relevant reboot sometime in the 2020s.

Being gay and family is way more personal to someone, much more immediately evident and affecting, so it gets much more attention.

Gang violence and AIDS was covered in Captain Planet.

Pacing of the show or pacing of the episodes actually airing?

I think the show's pace is a tad slow but what's really killing it is the slow as tits release schedule. If they could manage an episode every week it would be fine.

Yes and those got ignored too because it was still easy in the 90s to ignore black and gay people dying. You're seeing the culmination of decades of pressing back starting to come to a head.

>Amethyst, gay

Pretty sure she pined over Greg multiple times, and her character development has touched on inferiority issues both relating to her ability and the ability of others, so it's still building.

>Pearl, gay

Still sceptical, considering her dreams consist of Rose turning into Greg. She's still a very much an overprotective mom type. Also, that PTSD.

>YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HER!
>Pines over girl who looks like steven's mom
>Still hiding secrets from steven

>Garnet, gay

Please, ever since fusions were introduced, and people noticed she had two gems that's been put out there. Since the opal episode even. She's still mysterious to an extent, it's just that most of the mystery lies in what Garnet did during the war and what she's hiding, rather than what Garnet is.

>implying steven isn't still optimistic, naive, young and a boy

Considering he's an empath who tried to help Ronaldo, Jasper, Peridot and Lars, literally cannot age and is still a boy...

Also, relationship with connie. Bowie level flamboyant though.

>Makes cheesy songs
>Wants to die his hair odd colours
>Musically talented
>Brown girlfriend (yes I know, different race)
>Main mother character was literally once a david bowie/la roux lovechild
>Literally has rock as a fundamental part of his body

And for good reason too.

And drug addiction

Remember that episode of cow and chicken where a biker gang called the buffalo gals broke into peoples houses and ate their carpet and cow thinks about becoming one

Remember how it was just one episode about being gay and it didnt overthrow the entire series

And because THAT got ignored, now we have millions of aging assholes hooked on heroin from so much oxy and percs, and now fentanyl is slaughtering people faster than any prior drug ever.

Cartoon Network has been horrible with scheduling for a while now, for anything that's not fucking teen titans go

Remember that time I forgot to the post the picture too

Waiting for the real heroes to show up

Considering what happened in Star Vs, I'm not sure I can take anyone who complains about SU seriously. I mean, Star Vs had literal cuck shit. It was weird and creepy. SU at least tries to be nice whatever its other faults.

You are bullshit, OP.

Steven had Gem sex with Connie and Amethyst

He is a fucking stud just like his father

>. In reality it's maybe half a dozen dudes and Tumblr lesbians fetishizing the robots.
nah, I just like cartoons

They're gonna tear up EVERY house's "carpet".

Do you sing it to be the fairest show of them all; with nary a fault nor flaw to be had? If not, congratulations, you aren't a sheep.

but cucking is Sup Forums's fetish

It's a combination of both. Steven Universe episodes are either townie sol or plot heavy story episodes, there isn't really an in between.

You have small clusters of interesting story bits released for an entire week every few months and then the rest is just Ronaldo's bullshit and stuff nobody is really that interested in by this point.

They just really need to address all these half story points they keep bringing up. We have like 5 episodes of Steven's mommy issues involving her actions and behaviors, but not a single one actually addressing why Rose did what she did.

And that's generally how it is with every plot point in this show.

It's still not as bad as Adventure Time because the plot does move forward and thing do get explained gradually, but they need to learn from their mistakes before they kill this show too.

Not everything idubbbz says is right. It's used to denigrate people and unless people say it's wrong people will just keep on using it casually. Using it doesn't denigrate the potency of the word. It only makes the act of putting down the people associated with the word more of a casual thing.

SU is fun. Once every few months I binge it with a friend of mine. Sometimes I get super high before doing so. Makes it really relaxing. Then once every few months, I come here and read around. Everything is so much more enjoyable when you stop going to every single thread and never read any fandom.

I don't think it's special for the themes it covers. I just watch it because I like the plot and characters. I strongly despise the feminist undertones but enjoy seeing the characters develop over time.

So, just to reiterate:

Although the pacing is admittedly slow, I and many others enjoy the show's characters and plotlines. The majority of /sug/ posters hate the feminist bullshit just as much as you do.

Also the pic in the OP is pretty much the opposite. The first half of season one of Steven Universe is the weakest by far. Steven came off as an annoying little fuck, Garnet was just sorta there, Pearl was annoying, and Amethyst was there eating or something. Toward the second half the show started to become more charming with episodes like Island Adventure and Coach Steven.

TL;DR Most people on Sup Forums watch the show for the characters/plot and despise feminist bullshit as much as you do.

Their episode on overpopulation with the mice where the government turns the guns on them at the end was fucking terrifying as a kid.

I eventually tracked it down on YouTube to see if I was remembering it right and it was just as fucked up as an adult as it was as a kid.

fpbp

/thread

Good to know you can only enjoy things while fucking stoned, pham. The SU viewership sure is a quirky bunch.

>Please, ever since fusions were introduced, and people noticed she had two gems that's been put out there. Since the opal episode even. She's still mysterious to an extent, it's just that most of the mystery lies in what Garnet did during the war and what she's hiding, rather than what Garnet is.
What do you mean? I thought both her parents were dead.

Nah only sometimes. Not sure how that's quirky but you do you. I'd really like to watch it on molly sometime. That'd be super fun.

Why are the character designs for these 4 so bad?
Steven looks fucking soulless.

Have I really been on this ride for four years?

Never watched SU. Got the rough idea of the plo, gay gems and tumblr stuff. Just curious when did steven become gay? And for who?

The pacing was one of the best things about the first season. It constantly felt like things were building on each other. Then Jailbreak happened and the show went "oops, we raised the stakes too quickly". The next season felt wonky as hell because it felt like everything else was put on hold in favor of the Peridot plot.

He isn't. He dates an indian chick.

Thanks user. I know something was of but wouldn't put it past this tumblr shitshow of a cartoon

>Didn't even bother to use their 2013 costumes for the first panel
If you're not gonna put the effort in, why should I?

Not
>「Cult of Personality」
Shameful.

Ok you have to be lying about pearl dreaming rose turning into Greg.

You have to be.

youtube.com/watch?v=ddXlbI5oVqU

>cucking
It was just a love triangle, stop projecting your fetishes onto actually good cartoons.

>Rose completely ignores Pearl even in Pearl's dreams
nice

A girl holding the hand of the boy she loves and looking broken while he kisses his girlfriend is a step fucking far for a 'love triangle', followed by her being humiliated with a huge concert and confession being shot down.

Can't lie, last episode was a fucking wreck. Never cared about Ronaldo but now I loath him. They're really skirting around the Diamond issue too much. The show is only 15 fucking minutes, once a week. I still like the show overall but it's definitely lacking the quirky charm it held before in earlier seasons.

she wasn't "shut down" though
she ran away by herself

Ok. I have no witty retort for that. Jesus pearl. And what was with the pizza?

Get a load of this faggot guys.

Wait, what the fuck? I thought this shit had only been around a couple of years.

that's not the only reason people like SU, it does have a good plot but the problem is every unimportant recurring character needs 10 episodes of development apparently

100+ episodes and we know more about the townies than several plot important characters including white diamond or whatever her name will be

>Complaining about then vs. now by using an image of the cast that came out half a year ago

Really makes you think.

Because for some reason to millennials, addressing LBGTQ+ "issues" is the epitome of progressiveness. It's basically their faith and this show becomes their prophet

Everyone born after 1982 is a millennial you mongoloid.

Prove me wrong

Remember when Steven Universe had actual comedy? It did. Season 1A. Entire scenes meant to be funny. Now the only comedy ever is fan service, meta, or a "quirky" line amidst a sea of melodrama.

>It's a combination of both. Steven Universe episodes are either townie sol or plot heavy story episodes, there isn't really an in between.

The biggest problem is that SU can't do SoL well at all. They used to consistently hit the mark with episodes like when Steven had to take Connie back home and kept seeing multiple different outcomes of his actions. That's an example of enhancing SoL with the universe you've created.

The recent seasons of SU might as well be just a generic show because they have fuck all to do with the show or the world they've created. It's not that the show HAS to have plot development episodes, it's that when it doesn't do that and has instead SoL it's the most boring, humorless shit possible.

The Amazing World of Gumball is a perfect foil to this show. It is nothing except meaningless SoL shit. Like being late to class, having your first kiss, procrastinating on your chores, or the wifi being down. But the creators enhance the story by giving it a unique spin that only could be done in the universe they've created. And it comes off original, funny, and endearing.

Outside plot progression episodes SU has no world. There is nothing to it. The most interesting thing is Connie and Steven's relationship and you can already milk that so far. I mean they are already fusing, they couldn't resist throwing out the metaphor for sex within the first season. Now they have to focus on the boring town people. Which are boring only because they were written to be boring.

>themes

You mean topics, user.

Would be correct for early Regular Show. They really threw it into the gutter with the Mordecai's dating problems. Pic related is more accurate

sounds about right.

I'd swap AT with RS.

RS's final season was weak overall while AT's Island miniseries was a series high.

It never particularly excelled at comedy either way though.

Its always been gay you faggot

now it's horrible though

I mean what's the first point we were supposed to laugh in Rocknaldo?

>gang violence only effects black people
>aids only effects gay people

Seriously just fucking kill yourself.

Is it just me or does no one act normal in this show? What the FUCK is wrong with Pearl?

youtube.com/watch?v=T7gldYZDWrc

Harsh topics?! Come now, Sup Forums, that's negative nancy talk!
>*sings a song, ignoring the galaxy crumbling around him*

On the one hand, ignoring bait is a sensible course of action.

But on the other hand threads like these attract retards who unironically believe the OP and start circlejerking about it.

Hitting you a little too close to home fatty?

Oh I am being serious.

I am mostly referring to YouTube though.

Starcuck has been canon for half a season now. The fact people still deny this is sad.

Reminder the only reason he isn't a stain on Dominatrix's wall is because all his friends supported Hater instead of him.

Reminder he almost got EVERYONE killed.

The Gems aren't human, so they wouldn't really act normal.

Or maybe the writers are hacks because the people often don't talk nearly normally either.

>15 minutes, once a week
It's 11, whenever the fuck CN decides we can get two episodes in between months-long hiatuses. Seriously, what is the deal with these fucking hiatuses? We know it's not behind schedule, since we're getting episodes boarded last year now. Looked like they were doing it for Stevenbombs for a while, but that's clearly not it or else they wouldn't leave it for 5 months between bombs. So what the fuck is it?

Pearl's names for Ronaldo and the superjump at the end cracked me up, but Rocknaldo overall was a pretty bad episode.

uncle grampa

The guy isn't idubbz

It's better than the shitty generals which are supposed to be threads about the show but don't discuss it

I don't remember the issue of rape by deception covered by other cartoons.

It's more just betrayal of trust.

>this has been going 4 years
jdimsa

Only 3 years and like 3 months really.

>He doesnt remember the Troubles episode

I'm a faggot and even i agree they are pushing the undertones too much, I mean, look at Garnet,she is expressive and insecure like hell in the past season, completely lost her characteristics. The emotionbait is hard now with this show, it did it well early with episodes like steven trying to prove himself for the gems by doing a test they setup and blew it with unnecessary fluff like the storm in the room. episodes are so bland, they feel like a filler.
I still like it, but you gotta admit, it lost a lot more than it's gained.

>Steven literally just had a conflict with his mom
>Immediately goes back to being 1 dimensional in everyone's eyes

God damn, you niggas are insatiable. ONE not plot episode and everyone has a stroke.

2007 was 10 years ago.

More and more people born in 1999 can post on Sup Forums without getting banned for underage.

Steven's not gay though? When has he ever been shown to be gay?
Also Amethyst is bi at best, she tried to fuck Greg.

Fuck off, AT never got as bad as SU currently is now. What's killing SU is its lack of focus on the interpersonal dynamics between the central characters and a loss of monster of the week style episodes.

>even in her dreams, pearl gets cucked
kek

I agree with Garnet, she's an on going gay relationship, Pearl, she's all about love lust for Rose and now that Not Rose character, Steven has become an effeminate, high pitched, emotional faggot.
Amethyst though is just more bland, nothing gay about her, she's just less of her former self.

final season maaaaaaybe, but the Regular Show finale was better than Islands.

>lack of focus on the interpersonal dynamics between the central characters
How do you figure?

>monster of the week style episodes
These have been replaced by more character-oriented episodes as we presumably head towards some kind of actual happening. It'd work a lot better if we didn't keep having all these FUCKING TOWNIE EPISODES but I think the problem is inflated by the constant hiatuses.

>implying all but garnet are atleast bi

I implied a similar concept, of poor pacing and losing focus on things. I never said they were on the same level. Think congruency.

>trips of truth

>Split (2017)

>And what was with the pizza?
I don't know but it made me kek

>These have been replaced by more character-oriented episodes
Not really? I can only think of 3 episodes in the last 2 seasons that nailed what the first and to a lesser degree second season did so well and they are Mr Greg, Steven vs Amethyst and Mindful Education. Think back to the earlier episodes when we were constantly learning new things about the characters and how the relationships between them were evolving. Giant Woman, Space Race, Lion 3, Alone Together, The Test, On the Run, Maximum Capacity, Rose's Scabbard, Full Diclosure, Sworn to the Sword, Too Far, Steven's Birthday, Message Received. Even townie episodes like Horror Club were more dynamic. Now all of the characters except for Pearl are stagnant (someone else used the term 'fossilised') We're not learning anything new about the characters, and they bonds between them aren't changing or growing in any way. Memegems are doing fuck all in the barn (Peridot is the biggest waste of potential as a character IMO). Amethyst and Garnet aren't that compelling to watch because they're not doing anything either. Steven's growth is happening at a fucking snail's pace, and has become somehow more annoying than he was in the beginning. Gem Harvest solidified this for me. We had all the gems in one place, and it was boring. Having all the gems hanging out together should be the fucking highlight, the personalities should be bouncing off of each other in interesting ways but nope. Even more feelsy episodes like Storm in the Room don't develop Steven in any meaningful way. It's just reiterating stuff that was already heavily implied.

Sorry user, I was too quick, I misunderstood you.

*1B

>Think back to the earlier episodes when we were constantly learning new things about the characters and how the relationships between them were evolving.
Sure, but you can't keep that up forever or else you'll eventually just be retreading old ground. Even so, we had a look at how they were back when Steven was born in TGaaB and Know Your Fusion provided a (brief) glimpse into how Pearl and Garnet's personalities clash.

>Now all of the characters except for Pearl are stagnant
I disagree (with the exception of Garnet - hopefully they'll do something with her soon). Amethyst's emotional drop was recent and given its current unresolved state, there's no way it's not going to be affected by her acceptance by the Famethysts; Pearl's actively working on her human relations in LOooBC and Lapis and Peridot are, as they edge more and more into the limelight, gradually adapting to not being total fucking retards - TNCG had Lapis as the least depressive she's been in ages and both her and Peridot interacted with people who weren't Steven, even if it was in an attempt to be the Crystal Gems.

>Gem Harvest
I won't disagree with that one. It had some funny moments but overall was much more oriented towards Andy rather than anything else. Did we even see most of the gems for more than 5 minutes?
As an aside, I will never not be pissed off at the name for being that much of a cocktease.

>Steven's growth is happening at a fucking snail's pace
>Even more feelsy episodes like Storm in the Room don't develop Steven in any meaningful way.
You think? I thought Mindful Education and Storm in the Room showed we were finally getting somewhere - he's still an optimist, but he's no longer quite as naive about the gems and their enemies. He's actively questioning things now, whereas S1 and S2 Steven would have been content to not ask questions or press issues, and he's quicker to take charge when shit gets dire, as in the recent bomb.