Is The Dark Knight a Cultural Artifact?

The most recent DC atrocity got me wondering, will we ever see a capeshit that taps into the Zeitgeist as much as The Dark Knight did? It seems everything went right with this film.

main adventage of Nolan Batman series was how well-grounded they were.
It wasn't capeshit where everyone flies all around and fight countless amount of alien enemies.
Batman was actually investigating. Enemy was just a psychopath. Characters were solid and relatable.
I find current capeshit like messy sci-fi but Nolan trilogy is more like action/drama.

It was definitely a rare combination of being a somewhat serious movie that's also fun

It was a near perfect representation of post-9/11 terror and the effects dictatorial vigilantism

Rewatched it today. The difference between this and modern capeshit is abysmal. Practical effects, no pointless CGI, no distracting color filter, good acting, beautiful photography, nice score. During that awesome chase scene filmed on location where a real truck is flipped over, I kept picturing the sad state of modern blockbusters.

The film went on forever. The script was...okay, but a foreshadowing of the epic calamity of unwieldly nonsense that would be TDKR. This is coming from someone who saw it 3 times in theater; Heath deserved an Oscar which served ultimately as a lifetime achievement award, but strictly from a film-making perspective there were errors that any grad student could have fixed.

Yeah I agree
one of the big innovations with dark knight, it was actually more like a late night crime drama than an action superhero movie in many ways

Nolan's work will not age well. No one remembers or cares about Inception. Interstellar is getting this way. Nobody would care about TKD without Heath.

You're right about it being a cultural artifact. Perfect for its time and place, but it won't be a classie. Hell, people are re-evaluating Burton's Batman movies now as Lord Snyder suffers for our sins.

>nolan films
>grounded
When will this meme die? His batman trilogy is as whacky and surreal as everything else he's done.

compare it to any other batman/superman etc movie

It's a bandwagon opinion now but damn Heath is such a joy to watch as The Joker. I went in thoroughly upset that he was only a freak wearing makeup instead of the usual chemical accident backstory and then that turned out not to matter one bit because he played such a good psychopath. Of course it was the writing as well not just his acting alone.
Was Jared Leto ever known for method acting before he played Joker, or was that a desperate attempt to live up to Heath Ledger? He was good too though, other than the gangbanger tattoos.

Leto didn't do a great job, and he's in a mess of a movie. But I appreciate that they tried to make Joker unlikable again. With Heat and Hamill the joker was almost an antihero in the DC universe. I'm glad they tried to make him a proper douche again.

>implying being a cultural artifact and a classic are mutually exclusive

>whacky

>terrorism
>space bugs invading the earth
One is less whacky and surreal than the other. Can you guess which one?

it's one of the few high grossing films that made a cultural impact, I mean people remember multiple lines and scenes from it and can still recite it, how can you say that for other high grossing movies where many people can't remember the names of characters let alone what they said or did

its also the worst thing to happen to cinema

>it's one of the few high grossing films that made a cultural impact
I mean recently of course

Come on, Joker was always charming from a detached audience viewpoint. You don't enjoy Joker because he's likable, but because he's fun to watch.

Avatar literally made way more money and had way more impact on pop culture, Nolan shill.

More money - yes. Impact - no. Nearly noone remembers it, people can't even remember blue aliens names.
"Why So Serious?" and fucked up makeup with black eyes/red mouth is almost iconic now.

The Dark Knight was 5/10 at best

I feel like by the time the boat scene came it was indeed dragging on.
All the previous action was far more stimulating and it lacked the suspense of the rest of the film.

First two acts were perfection though.

Also the police chief or whatever was a great actor and severly underrated

You coudn't think of the name Commissioner Gordon OR Gary Oldman? Oldman is pretty well rated as an actor though.

lol