youtu.be/9wIJr4iLgFA
youtu.be/fcFDI14XuQo
youtube.com/watch?v=9jTPZKI1Zls
m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuA0vwuzAjs
youtube.com/watch?v=tY7uRolgm4I
youtu.be/S7KZds40RBc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the lord of the rings and the last of the mohicans

Ennio Morricone's score for The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Akira. Hands down.

Colonel Sanders?

Seven Samurai

Five favs off the top of my head:

- Once Upon a Time in the West
- Apocalypse Now
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- The Empire Strikes Back
- Ravenous

Op here. I actually appreciate the responses. I'm really enjoying watching movies just for the music and ques lately. Any recommendations on that criteria aline would be appreciated.

New Hope unironically. Yes, other films might have better melodies and more moving pieces but I don't remember any movie where the music fits the scenes so perfectly (maybe LotR is close).

>not even his best Western score
3/10 you picked the right composer at least

3,333,360. there are no other possible points in pacman

Nice pleb list.

Upstream Colour had a great score done entirely by the director it very unorthodox ways.

I agree 100%. Every setting has a distinct theme. There is no confusing desert from death stat or exposition from action. It's perfect.

I think John Powell's score for X-3 is an underrated gym. The entire soundtrack is pretty great but this is the highlight:

youtube.com/watch?v=xP-oD-63dtE

reddit is that way pal

Probably 10/10

This is one of the more memorable ones I've listened to of late. Light, breezy and nostalgic.

youtube.com/watch?v=z3F2SgA_crI

REYS THEME YAAAAAAAAAS KWAIN

Blade runner
Fargo
Taxi Driver

Literally the only cue of note.

Is he scoring the next one? Hope he puts more effort in this time.

Last of the Mohicans is my favorite as well

>7-1

Brazil

Werckmeister Harmonies.

the lord of the rings sound track was actually really deep and thought out

youtube.com/watch?v=y5LLHZf9ebU&t=552s

Honestly star wars. It wouldn't have been nearly as good or memorable without it, Williams' Wagnerian score made an American cinema classic.

I've seen John Williams conduct live. Fun show.

>Wagenerian
ok faggot

Could you plebs stop listing Star Wars and LotR like the children you are?

Don Davis's score for the Matrix trilogy is another great one, only music nerds can really appreciate it though. It sounds like a pretty conventional symphonic score without knowing what he's doing.

Here's an unused cue from Reloaded for the Davis fans:
youtube.com/watch?v=VBNtU4gm4PE

Maybe not the best but it's up there

8 1/2

First four: Accurate as fuck.

You need the Japanese Blu-Ray and an incredibly powerful sound system to hear it as the creators intended.

You might want to look into 70's and 80's films, back when "theme" actually meant something. John Carpenter scored almost all of his own films, and now exclusively releases synth music for films that'll never exist. Ridley Scott and Michael Mann both made use of the electronic group Tangerine Dream to great effect in some of their earlier movies. Also Mann's film Manhunter (the first ever Hannibal Lector adaptation, and arguably still the best) has a great ensemble of musicians providing the score.

youtu.be/r1yRiNz3JtM

Ever heard of leitmotif? Williams basically introduced that as a concept to the masses. Go him.

>sw and lotr are for children
>the matrix isn't

9/11

>implying it's not
>posts anime children
The Matrix films are rated R

The intro with Kylo's ship landing wasn't bad but other than that and Rey's theme the score was forgettable. Pretty sacrilege for Star Wars

Just came back from the Hans Zimmer and it was absolutely #litty. Went on a first date with a chick from work and we had an absolute blast.

Easily one the most underrated composers right now (John Williams is overrated and boring AF). I felt my bones shake during the concert.

>rated R means mature
Fuckin as if m8

>Zimmer
>underrated

is this bait

so? its the same action schlock aimed at teenagers, kids watch rated R action movies all the time. and if you really were a "music nerd" you'd at least know to appreciate all the thought that went into making LOTRs soundtrack

Howard Shore practically composed for an opera when he scored The Lord of the Rings. The whole thing was a modern excercise at leitmotifs and tone painting.

I was a teenager once, I've already seen and listened to those scores dozens of times over. Yes, Howard Shore did some cool stuff (using a Rugby team for the choral bits in the Uruk-Hai music, for example). But it's not on the level that Davis operates on.

>zimmer underrated
>williams overrated
They're honestly both titans and deserve every bit of respect they have earned. Romanticism died in the early 20th century so its not surprising Williams could seem "boring" according to the sensibilities of today.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

The Mission is easily one of the best scores of all time.
It also is one of the biggest oscar robberies of all time as well.

Taxi driver theme is still in my head, haven't seen the movie in years.

share some examples of what davis does for the matrix sound track, post a video if you know of one, i'm not challenging you i just want to know. i watched this and was pretty much baffled by the amount of thought put into making LOTRs soundtrack and want to see if the Matrix's was really as in depth.

williams' superman theme is still the peak of superhero themes and will never be beaten. elfman wishes his batman comes close

empire is his best star wars score, because the han/leia theme is great + the imperial march of course

blade runner is an automatic top 5 for me
once upon a time in the west most likely as well
stargate is memorable

mission is a kino choice

mid 20th century ww2 movie soundtracks are platinum gold

youtube.com/watch?v=d0ZTTeTr-YQ

This.

youtu.be/lAoT2ktM2H0

There's not a whole lot out there, because honestly even I can't describe everything that's going on. I did some Google searching and found some stuff. A video, I think from the DVD set:
youtube.com/watch?v=nrx1WCKQoXI

And this blog post delving into some of the mechanics of the score:
cuebycue.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-matrix-davis-1999.html

I'm looking for a great analysis I read like a decade ago, if I can find it I'll post.

>Not posting Kelly's Heroes

youtu.be/9wIJr4iLgFA

The most kino war film ever made.

What won that year?

This. The music to LotR is probably the closest thing to 21st century Wagner.

I appreciate Davis. It's so weird he kind of disappeared after The Matrix.

Can't remember off the top of my head but it was a movie that compiled existing songs yet somehow won original score.

WILLIAMS

1. STAR WARS
2. Indiana Jones
3. Harry Potter (1-3)
4. Prequel Trilogy
5. JAWS

MORRICONE

1. Good Bad Ugly
2. Once upon a time in the west
3. For a few dollars more
4. Untouchables
5. Battle of Algiers

GIACCHINO

1. Medal of Honor Frontline
2. UP
3. Ratatoille
4. Ghost Protocol
5. Incredibles

show some respect you scrub

great video user, thanks for sharing

You might want to read The Music of The Lord of the Rings, by Doug Adams (not that one).

The music to The Matrix is good, but Shore was working on basically another level.

This, this is good. Well done user.

obvious bait

composers like Morricone, Berstein, and even the late James Horner are better than zimmer

There's a reason LotR is picked by everyone and that's because it's a very conventional, easy-listening experience. It's a lot like Goldenthal and even Williams, which take their cues from classical music. Don Davis was doing something else.

I'm sorry but you just don't know what you are talking about.

Unquestionably the best score I've ever heard. Goldsmith at the end of the 70's - start of the 80's was unstoppable. Alien, TMP, The Final Conflict, etc. Genius.

Hans Zimmer is conventional. No one copies what Shore did, because what Shore did was copy Wagner, and Wagner was kind of the end all be all when it comes to harmony. Then people started with their twelve tone memery.

With the amount of themes going on in LotR, it's certainly not easy listening music. It rewards careful hearing.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Thin Blue Line or Koyaanisqatsi.
The latter especially since it's score is probably more well known than the movie itself.

Ascenseur Pour L'échafaud score by the Late Great Miles Davis.

Quintessential noir film score that showcases his improvisational and trumpet skills, if not compositional skills.

Parajanov's Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors showcased ethnic music and was also extremely effective.
youtu.be/fcFDI14XuQo

(Krzysztof Komeda's soundtrack for Rosemary's baby, Artemiev from Tarvosky's Stalker are important mentions as well)

Technically Uncle Meat was conceived as the soundtrack to an unmade (awful) film. But the music is glorious and would be the greatest soundtrack if the film was made.

youtube.com/watch?v=9jTPZKI1Zls

t. resident Sup Forums scholar

zimmer's score in dunkirk was bad
prove me wrong

Cowboy Bebop

If you are admitting that Shore basically ripped off Wagner, why do you think his score is better than the highly original Matrix scores that Davis crafted? If anything the man deserves points for originality.

No. It was such a forgettable score. Such an overrated movie.

I was trying to be modest but yeah it's amazing. The Enterprise track is absolutely beautiful.

good watch, thanks user

What Davis is doing is not that original, dude. It's utilizing a lot of 20th century techniques, and it's got some pretty punchy and memorable brass, but I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about in terms of originality.

What Shore "ripped" off is the heavy use of leitmotifs, and if that's him being a hack, then every film composer is a hack. Even Davis. What Shore did with LotR is actually write something lon the level of The Ring Cycle, which, coincidentally was a heavily thematic multi-part opera about, well, the name kind of gives if away.

kroos' second goal will never stop being funny

when he snaps that oboe, my heart breaks every time

just put the 20 minutes into watching this video and tell me the matrix's soundtrack was more complex and thought out than howard shores work.

Quoting the Elgar Enigma variation "Nimrod" as the ships came in was a pretty based choice and a surreal interpretation, I definitely got goosebumps.

Steve Jablonsky - Transformers

The Third Man
The Piano
Once Upon a Time in America
Psycho
Pather Panchali

Man, thank you for this. I was frozen in front of my computer as I watched this video. It's amazing, I love it.

Godzilla x Mechagodzilla by Michiru Oshima is great

m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuA0vwuzAjs

Japa bring their a game to kaiju films, and the only female Godzilla composer no less

Lord of the Rings score easily. The fact that every choir piece is a poem in elvish or another one of the world's language really adds to it as well. And it's the best use of Leitmotifs since the Ring Cycle.

You seem like the kind of person who's exposure to classical music is mostly "classical music for studying" compilations

the Zappa track started scary and ended fun
the other one was just nightmarish from start to finish.

>what shore did was rip of wagner
Yeah, I got that already thnx.

Look, everyone sucks Shore's dick. Most people don't even know who Davis is and that's a great tragedy, because he is a phenomenal composer. I like them both but Davis is superior.

youtube.com/watch?v=tY7uRolgm4I

>be John Carpenter
>work on a new horror movie in Hollywood with kickass cast and amazing crew
>get Ennio Morricone, one of the most prolific movie composers of all time, to score your movie
>get the full movie worth of music
>toss it all out except the main theme
>compose the rest of the music yourself
>it's fucking fantastic and works even better
The balls on this guy.

This kind of reminds me of the Sleeping Dogs soundtrack but as if the director was like "do it as happygolucky jazz" still its a good rec. Awesome and innovative use of that Kanto.

He's not underrated but the people determined to bring him down make it seem so, I kinda think it's frustrating how people can't seem to simply be the best anymore without having haters who refuse to accept it.

Not that I begrudge anyone for like other composers more. Just stop crusading.

You would put 2 video games over the soundtrack to LOST? Its the greatest TV soundtrack ever. To each their own tho.
The Natural - Randy Newman
The Day The Earth Stood Still - Herrmann
The Crow Soundtrack is one of the best overall non-original music mixes I think ever, it just owns the room and makes you feel gothic.

he scored a japanese movie this year. i guess no one in hollywood will hire him.

youtu.be/S7KZds40RBc

Dude, Shore's written an opera too, lol.

Like, listen, I'm not trying to rip on Davis. It's a real shame that he's not as active anymore. I think his biggest thing film-wise lately has been doing some score work for a few Japanese flicks. I'd definitely take more of him over your standard Remote Control Production-type guys that earn paychecks trying to imitate Hans Zimmer.

All the same, what Shore did with LotR honestly can't be understated. It's honest to god one of, if not the biggest artistic achievement in film scoring.

was ennio morricone mad about that?

Probably

but Frontline deserves to be there