doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-on-diversity-in-doctor-who-we-must-do-better-80637.htm
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signalling_theory
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It was supposed to be The Caretaker edition, fuck offerino Briggs

who gives a fuck

What was he doing?

Fondling the round things.

Titivating the fronds

This is a scene from Thin Ice, the third episode of Series 10 of the revived edition of the science-fiction show Doctor Who. As this is a Doctor Who general, the majority of people on here have already seen this episode, potentially multiple times.

This scene... urgh.

History is not a whitewash, the population of blacks in the UK at that point was so small seeing a Black Person would have been something everyone would talk about for the rest of the week because they were so rare to see.

>17/30 days into november
>still no ten audios

It makes no sense for it to be the 11th Doctor anymore though, why would he see that version of himself in the future?

That's my issue with it, it either needs updating or changing to something that wont age poorly upon re-watching at Christmas or whenever it's on TV again.

okay i found what i was talking about last thread

its here dailymotion.com/video/xuljvf starting at 45:14, it happens every couple of seconds in this scene

it almost sounds like a small snippet thats playing in reverse several times throughout the scene.

it happens all throughout s7 and i notice it every single time

youtu.be/rPw2D-wvyVg
What did he mean by this?

>mfw it's broadcast again after Christmas and Jodie has replaced Matt

>whenever it's on TV again.
Implying it'll ever be shown on TV again

...how the fuck did you find this

>he likes eleven and only eleven

BRADDERS VS HARTERS

twitter.com/grahamkw/status/931517989786177536

Notice anything?

Googling 'Doctor Who Jesus' brings up some weird results

No Adam Orford :(

Jesus isn't the firstborn of all creation, he was born thousands of years of human history later
did this person even read his bible?

"Army of Ghosts" indeed.

today we have preview?

are you making fun of the fact they're 95% all white?

Is it just me who misses the TARDIS being an oldskool '3 walled set'?

Weak b8 but pls let it be true

Beforehand, there was quite a bit of hype for a connection between Karabraxos Bank and the Braxiatel Collection. Karabraxos' self-cloning scheme is practically straight out of a Benny audio. But this was only hype in the same circles as those who thought that Missy and the Netherworld were going to be Iris and the City of the Saved, so YMMV.

Best novelisation

Great analysis. I really hope that, if Marigold is really stepping down, his successor manages to incorporate his motifs in some version. As for the identity of that successor -- I've heard a lot of rumors about Blair Mowat, but we'll see how that pans out. And also soundtrack release when

in 4 hours or something

yes

yes

(here's the template btw)

Fair enough

>Want to send Big Finish an email inquiring about when the CDs will be sent out since I preordered but don't want to seem rude
fuq

I'd legit love something like a Daak spin-off.

n8, question: does Faction Paradox have any particular initiation rites and if so, where can I read up on them? Oh, and is there any further info about how their time travel stuff works beyond what's in the EDAs?

>Best novelisation
is Myth Makers

Not everybody cares about shitty memes dude

Not everybody cares about each new general being the next Capaldi episode either dude

>how their time travel stuff works beyond what's in the EDAs
on Erasing Sherlock
it is described as a hut full of chicken entrails

Well stop crying about it and go with the flow.

>It's a multi-Briggs story

Cmon Chris, you know you wanna do some Big Finish.

Reminder that briggs prints are a thing.

I unironically want the next BF spinoff to be in the vein of The Five(ish) Doctors and have it be a spoof behind the scenes thing. The Adventures of Nick Briggs.

Dammit, forgot my pic when I moved the reply to this thread

Nothing would restore the Daleks to their former glory better than a TV version of Dalek Empire, complete with Daak tearing shit up. I recently read all the old TVC Dalek comics and annuals, and damn Dalekmania was fun.

(bumping up against char limit, see next reply Neo)

From "The Book of the War":
>New initiates become Little Brothers or Little Sisters as soon as they’re recruited, at which point their training begins. Though these junior members may be given rudimentary weaponry they’re not encouraged to use the Faction’s techniques/ rituals, although they are shown the basic principles by older family members (usually elder Cousins rather than the Fathers and Mothers). This stage is essentially a kind of apprenticeship, during which the Faction has the opportunity to prepare the recruit before his or her real indoctrination. However well he or she does during this period, the Little Brother or Little Sister will always be granted the provisional title of Cousin before embarking on a period of initiation: if the initiation is successful, then the new Cousin will be given the title permanently and go through the armament ritual of the sombras que corta.
>Contrary to popular rumour, Faction Paradox does not execute those who fail the initiation, although as the initiation itself is usually performed while under fire it’s not unusual for new Cousins to be killed during the process. Those who survive but fail are simply returned to their own place and time of origin… and if their knowledge of the Faction’s methods damages local causality there, then that’s no concern of the Faction’s.
I think "The Eleven Day Empire / The Shadow Play" (the first standalone Faction Paradox story, feat. Justine from "Alien Bodies") shows some shadow binding rituals; we also see part of someone's initiation to Godfather rank in "Movers / A Labyrinth of Histories".
Also, the short story "Now or Thereabouts" from "A Romance in Twelve Parts" follows Kelsey Hooper from SJA as she earns the rank of Cousin.

anime who?

>The Adventures of Nick Briggs.
with Ria

Steven Moffat on diversity:

>“And we’ve kind of got to tell a lie: we’ll go back into history and there will be black people where, historically, there wouldn’t have been, and we won’t dwell on that. We’ll say, ‘To hell with it, this is the imaginary, better version of the world. By believing in it, we’ll summon it forth.’ And, outside of the fiction, it’s about anyone feeling that they can be involved in this industry as an actor, a director, a writer… It’s hugely important, and it’s not good when we fail on that. We must do better.”

But reminder: there is NO agenda!

Re:Time travel: "The Book of the War" has a relevant entry, but it's too long to fit in a message, so I've uploaded it at pastebin.com/5jYNWy58

BRIGGS'D

>To hell with it, this is the imaginary, better version of the world. By believing in it, we’ll summon it forth
no the exact opposite happens, when under developed characters become special and worthy, more people get entitled to things and vote left
if Moffs is ingenue (and he is manipulated) or he is part of the agenda, we will never know

lads i think i want a foxes gf

Source btw: doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-on-diversity-in-doctor-who-we-must-do-better-80637.htm

What agenda is Moffat exactly trying to push? The evil agenda of letting people feel equal like they should do? I literally don't see anything wrong with him saying this.

Suppose a young boys favourite show is Doctor Who? Suppose they don’t give a shit about Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man? Are they just to lose that role model then?

Colin Baker and others have said in response to this “boys can still have a female Doctor as their role model too“, but this is extremely hypocritical. If that’s the case then why can’t girls still have a male Doctor as their role model?

If you think the Doctor has to be changed to be a woman in order to be a role model for little girls, then he has to be a man to be a role model for little boys too.

Did... did you just call me Neo?

Thank you so much for this! I really, really appreciate it. One day I'll get into FP stuff proper, but I'm just writing something Faction-related right now and as much as it'll be more focused on what the EDAs tell us about them, it helps a bunch to have this extra info.

>If that’s the case then why can’t girls still have a male Doctor as their role model?

They can, and they have 50 years' worth.

mud-washing history to make people feel entitled and feel that the whites that pushed them down.
people are not equal, that does not mean they cant try and should have equal chances
a midget will not play on the NBA, if he feels he can or not

>Are they just to lose that role model then?
no Davison, the role model is going to regenerate into a woman and then get on with life, and our hypothetical little boy (think of the children!) will realise that looking up to a woman isn't going to obliterate his masculinity

>mud-washing

What the fuck.

see

I agree desu.

There is really no other role model like the doctor for boys.

that being said, i dont think the role was changed for the purpose of giving girls a role model. if that was the case then they should have brought up another female character (i.e a clara spinoff or something) for a female role model.

but again, this wasnt why jodie was cast, so im not too fussed about it.

>boys can still have a female Doctor as their role model too
Correct.
>why can’t girls still have a male Doctor as their role model?
They can. It's not actually about role models, you've just arbitrarily made it so to further your argument. It's about telling interesting stories, and that's what it's been about from day one.

Doctor Who might not be the show for you if you're implying that brown people are akin to 'mud'.

>What agenda is Moffat exactly trying to push?
" we’ll go back into history and there will be black people where, historically, there wouldn’t have been, and we won’t dwell on that"

"""Diversity.""" You don't have an argument. It's not an is he/isn't he situation. He pretty much outright admits he's pushing an agenda – that's the subject of the article. Now whether or not it's a good agenda to push is another discussion, but it's clear enough that he's pushing an agenda, unless you're being an absolute pedant.

I find the whole role models argument so disingenuous and weird whenever it comes up (from either side desu)

this is a dollard issue, not a doctor who one.

Do you not see how fucked up that is? "Mud-washing" implies making white things "dirty". It's literal Nazi talk.

You're right but you're talking to Reddit. No-one here is going to agree with you.

any color before wash would sound bad
non-white-wash?

I know this bait but don't respond to Judy please. Even the trips ignore her

Kino in the stream

As someone who was that kid ... this is one sense in which NuWho's heavy-handed distinction between incarnations helps a lot. In "The End of Time", 10 talks about how regeneration is like dying; how a new, different person is going to walk away. It's still the Doctor, but it's ... not him, yknow. And in this way, I think that 13 being a woman won't retroactively taint the awesome examples of 1-12 in any way.

Yeahhh, I'm gonna blame that one on autocorrect.
And that sounds great! Glad I could help; hope I get to read it when you're done. (Currently writing my own Faction Paradox story -- November or NaNovember, word counts are a bitch.)

>le reddit meme xd!!
I hate Sup Forums

>we won’t dwell on that

Reddit, the place with actual Nazi communities?

>be told there's pinot in the grigio
>Nothing Playing
ree

Role models are the wost meme of all

someone greenlighted it

>tfw you realise that 8 wasnt given a tv series because they couldnt find an actress shorter than him to co-star

This is such a comfy image

Will they ever learn?

Isn't Ace taller than 7?

WHAT ARE THE TRIPS HEIGHTS

Im like 5'10/11

Turning the Doctor into a woman not only prevents him from being a role model to little boys in the present, but it also I feel takes away the ability for the previous Doctors to be a role model to little boys.

Now the Doctor was never a male character. He was basically a genderless character, who didn’t even notice the differences between men and women and could have been a woman at any point (he just happened to be a man THIRTEEN times by coincidence.)

That’s how the character will be viewed in popular culture from now on, as the gender bending alien, and thus the SJW “fans” have not only taken a character away from little boys in the present, but retroactively too.

paul mcgannlet

Oh shit. At this rate the kids will realise that gendered behaviour is a social construct. SHUT IT DOWN!

no she's quite a bit shorter

>he just happened to be a man THIRTEEN times by coincidence

unless they solidify the "timelords have a normal gender" thing indicated by the general saying they were back to normal (and by the fact we've only seen them be a single gender for the entire series)

They have now mentioned that 1 and 12 will clash on race and gender three times. This means that it's probably more significant to the plot than just a throwaway line.

@that one user who hates the words virtue signaling, this is what that term means (when used in a political context). To virtue signal is to put up a display, to put on a big exaggerated show about how not sexist you are. And to do so in a situation where you could just, not be sexist.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signalling_theory

It's not just a political thing too, if a kid in school does something wrong, a few other students will go out their way to say "I did that right, it was so easy". This is virtue signaling, it is inherent to all group behavior, and it's not even morally wrong. But it's easy to spot when you know what it is.

But that's not what bothers me, Steven Moffat was obviously genuinely effected by people on tumblr calling him a sexist. It makes sense for him to want to ''''prove'''' that he isn't.

It bothers me because it does not make sense for time lords to be racist. It doesn't not make sense for time lords to have a concept of race whatsoever. Because they literally do not have race. They all carry the traits that humans would consider "ethnic" in their genome. But there are not cultures, stereotypes, or opinions that are associated with the "white time lords" or the "black time lords" because those are literally the same people. They would not have a concept of race the way humans do because they don't have race the way humans do.

They have sexual dimorphism, sure, but how would they even uphold "gender roles". Is TUAT going to imply that any time lord leader is at constant risk of regenerating wrong and getting sent off to the babymaking factory?

Of course it doesn't make any sense, but coming up with a cool sci-fi society of shapeshifters doesn't allow Steven Moffat to show the world how not sexist he is.

mcgann is the short role model i needed growing up
i didn't even know he was short until recently though

You're not thinking like any actual child though, you're thinking like a reee-ing fanboy
Also,
>Now the Doctor was never a male character. He was basically a genderless character, who didn’t even notice the differences between men and women and could have been a woman at any point (he just happened to be a man THIRTEEN times by coincidence.)

I suppose that's supposed to be some kind of outrageous concept, but it's literally just an accurate description of the Doctor's characterisation

Was 6'1, just shy of 5'11 now. Degenerative disc disease + riding over cobblestones with leaf springs for shocks have made me shrink a bit.

The absolute state of this thread.

offerin

o

>The Doctor was never a male character
I think Hartnell through Pertwee would disagree with you on that user.

I miss comfy /who/.

When I was a kid I would've thought a female doctor was cool as fuck
As would most kids because actual kids aren't weird strawmen who's moral wellbeing depends on a nebulous television role model

>Now the Doctor was never a male character. He was basically a genderless character, who didn’t even notice the differences between men and women and could have been a woman at any point
Surely the whole conceit of "can regenerate as male or female" implies that his male incarnations are, in fact, male (and vice versa)? Why treat his maleness as contingent on being unable to regenerate as female?

More to the point, why are you viewing the Doctor's gender like it has to be some deep, immutable psychic essence or it doesn't exist? Why is gender playing the role of 'jealous ancient blood-god and law of the universe' here?