"""ART""" movies suck

How old were you when you realized that "high brow" "cerebral" art movies are absolute crap that appeals to pseudo intellectual 110 iq nimrods who in a lot of ways are just as dumb as the average blockbuster viewer?

>How old were you when you realized that ((("high brow" "cerebral" art movies))) are absolute crap that appeals to pseudo intellectual 110 iq nimrods who in a lot of ways are just as dumb as the average blockbuster viewer?
16-17 yrs old

>Yorgos Lanthimos
>high art
lol

Dogtooth isn't even arthouse, it's just a good movie.

just by the time you enter film school

just pretentious college films but with bigger budgets, better acting and a good DP (yeah all those completely change it I guess)

When will Hiro ban all the dumbass Americans from this board?

Probably bait but then what is, in your opinion, a good film?

I've always wondered what this poster meant.

I understand that it's supposed to resemble teeth growing in, but why go with sine waves?

Blade Runner 2049.

>hello class, today I am going to teach you how to appreciate absolute dog shit. And how that having this appreciation for dog shit makes you better than everyone else

watch movies made for adults, kid

Not op

it's a pretty terrible poster - on the same level as the meme blader runner poster with the guy running on a knife

BBBBBBUUUUUUUURRRRRRNNNNNNNN

>kid
Pottery

Perfectly sums up """film""" """"""school""""" to a T lmao.

Like is there a subtext about full wave rectification that I'm missing or something?

DUDE. CANINE TEETH

One part of me thinks art films are pseudo bullshit like poems that dont rhyme. But the other part of me thinks I must be a fucking idiot cause I dont understand any of this shit

more like dogshit

My childhood basically was Dogtooth, to a lesser degree. Had to turn it off.

>I'll just add a whole bunch of bullshit and film students will think they are intelligent for interpreting it
pic related, how art movies are perceived by psueds

youre right about both

>it's a "babby gets mad at the world because he doesn't 'get' good art" episode

>art films are pseudo bullshit like poems that dont rhyme
>like poems that dont rhyme
Pleb.
>how art movies are perceived by psueds
More like how you think intelligent people analyzes movies. Spoiler: you're stupid so you don't know what you're talking about.

I don't want to defend the movie because I've never seen it but what I'm seeing here is the equivalent of saying that the Divine Comedy is "absolute crap that appeals to pseudo intellectual".

Only the dumb, loud and insecure say things like, "what!? You think you're better than me?!" Such a low brow, seemingly default, response from the uneducated.

If the poem doesnt rhyme its an unspoken speech not a poem

Because tho movie is called Blade Runner and the little man is literally running on the blade of the knife

thats true of "art" in general

Jesus christ that fucking blade runner poster angers me to no end

lol OP who btfo you today that you got so asspained and made this sour grapes thread?

I laugh at your life

Nicholas Ray, John Huston, Howard Hawks, etc.

for every lad in this thread I recommend watching a documentary entitled "Why Beauty Matters" by Sir Roger Scruton

My guess is that people are on the same wave length on either side of the border, taking the movie as a microcosm for nationalism. Every country behaves in similar ways to keep their people in order. Despite boundary difference, we're not all that different.

Much of arthouse is Emperor's New Clothes-tier, I agree, but the only sensible thing to do is to judge each film individually.

i'm just here to say fuck free verse too

If I had to go all "highschool english class", I'd say that the truncated waves represent the children's stunted development, but I don't really know why using waveforms is the best way to represent that.

I hate to have to waddle through puddles of pretentious shit just to get to the couple of actually good films.

this desu, there's a lot more shit you need to go trough among indie/arthouse foreign and domestic than there is between high budget productions.
and that shit is usually praised so you can't tell the difference before watching

The Killing of a Sacred Deer > Dogtooth > The Lobster

anyone here seen Alps? is it good?

Mid twenties

Hahaha oh boy

they are considered "art films" by today's standards

and a lot of those famous yuro directors from the 50s/60s were big financial successes. can you imagine someone like antonioni or godard making films that make money at the multiplex these days?

I haven't seen a post generate this amount of genuine ass pain in a very long time.

*dog tooth

on which side? every post in this thread reeks of butthurt, both pro-art film and anti-art film

tpbp OP is dumdum

t. never been to a film class

they show conventional stuff, like Hitchcock and Bergman films, and maybe one week out of the year they'll talk about "avant-garde" filmmaking and show a Deren or Snow film

They could totally be pretentious garbage, but I still enjoy some of them, so I don't know really. I don't think it makes you smarter or anything though

>More like how you think intelligent people analyzes movies
this is too right. Being used to retards analyzing films like that pic and then going to a seminar to hear actually intelligent historians and phds analyze films made me feel fucking retarded

this

Last Year at Marienbad is one of the most pretentious films I've ever seen, and I enjoyed every second of it

t. "Film" """artist"""

>admitting you've been to a film class

I've been to films

>t. never been to a film class

This but unironically. The problem is the medium is too expensive and accessible, so inherently commercial. Also is too new, and because it is commercial it didn't have time to develop to its artistic potential.
Most people still see it as purely entertainment and anything that deviates from the norm of "telling stories with pictures in motion" people take as a personal offense for some reason. I hope with the easy access to cheap cameras we have nowadays with smartphones, we'll get more experimentation and try to discover what cinema really is, and learn to properly use its attributes(mainly time lapse and editing).
I mean look at this thread, if middlebrow "art movies" are taken with such a grudge, imagine how avant-garde iphone flicks will be received.
hope you understand what I mean, english is my second language.

>Why Beauty Matters

thx kid

/thread

Literally backwards.

what is an art movie?

name 3 "hight art" movies pls

You, the Living
Au Hasard Balthazar
Caligula

I read that as Scrotum.

There is a big market for making consumers feel smarter than they are.
Look at Bill "the Last Guy I'd leave alone with kids" Nye or Neil "a smart-ish black guy we must like" Tyson.
Both would do more for real science by being hurled through space naked. But regurgitating their quips lets people feel like they know things.

it counted as a humanities elective and seemed like it would be fun and interesting (and guess what? it was, ya brainlet)

Limite
Play Time
John Wick 2

lel i can smell the inferiority complex from here

Haha not an argument

>Most people still see it as purely entertainment and anything that deviates from the norm of "telling stories with pictures in motion" people take as a personal offense for some reason
Fuck, this is so true.

I agree, if a movie that requires you to think a little bit and analize it to understand it and it doesn't give you an answer is considered pretentious then there's no hope.

The biggest flaw an individual can have is to not understand his limits. And not trying to widen them but that's for a different discussion.

All the really intelligent people I know enjoy simple action and comedy movies and tv-shows, and listen to simple and not particularly "intelligent" music. I study robotics, and have plenty of really intelligent friends that I have met trough my degree. These people are people who extremely quickly understand concepts and learn very fast. They get As and Bs in the most difficult courses, and somehow always manage to find solutions to problems I have no idea how to solve. They seem to have excellent memory. They are just all around intelligent people. They are starting their masters and will do their masters in very prestigious institutions.

They all have very simple tastes. They listen to basic mainstream hip hop, mainstream metal/rock and enjoy shitty movies. Among my really intelligent friends, I have one that likes shitty movies like Transformers, and didn't care much for blade runner 2049. One doesn't even listen to music or consume much entertainment really. Another enjoys surfing, skating, snowboarding and really basic hip hop that is about getting drunk and high. Rarely do I have "deep" conversations with these guys. All around great guys, but their tastes are very clearly not "refined" or "managed" carefully.

Then I have a couple of less intelligent friends. They are failing their courses, one is redoing really basic math from high school, and failing. One is going to at least spend 5-6 years to complete his bachelor which should only take 3 years, if he ever completes it. Others are just noticeably less intelligent. They probably still have IQs in the 100+ range though. But they all have excellent taste, they watch and enjoy deep movies, have a really great taste in music, they have clearly spent time consuming and managing their music interests. They enjoy deep tv shows, dramas and more difficult movies. We can quickly end up talking about "deep" topics, have deep conversations and talk about philosophy and debate and stuff like that.

(You)

yeah im a high school dropout but im secretly vry smart

I don't know what you are trying to imply, or if you didn't get my point.

My point is that from my experience, people who have "intelligent" taste in entertainment and art, are usually average intelligence or worse. While people who are really truly smart and successful, usually have what you can consider "unintelligent" taste or mainstream taste, in entertainment and art.

In general, philosophers are smarter than scientists.
To enjoy high forms of art you have to have a high predisposition to abstract thought, extrapolate meaning and form new ideas which is much harder than doing calculations or reproducing an experiment (which is what 90% of science is). There also is no true measure for intelligence, so I don't know what you're basing this on.

philosophy is bullshit m8

You type like a retard and gave yourself away with the mentioning of BR, as someone who was invited to a top high school it was only after I was around those at the top of my class that I started to see how shit taste my was. When I asked them why they didn't watch something, their reply was "because I don't watch TRAASH." Simply put intelligent people like to explore their taste and DEVELOP them, so what you're saying is BS.

it's speculation, but so is science.

>wtf I love movies that require me to analize now

this has to do more with the big 5 personality trait of openness, rather than intelligence, intelligent people can like dumb things and vice versa
besides, visual media as an passive artform caters to the lowest common denominator, read some books or play vidya, faggots

>which is much harder than doing calculations or reproducing an experiment (which is what 90% of science is).

That depends entirely on what field of study you are in. Some forms of science is just very repetitive work.

Robotics however isn't just doing calculations or reproducing an experiment. Robotics combines the fields of computer science, math, physics, electronics and artificial intelligence. You will need to have a deep understanding of all these fields to get trough the course. All the fields requires a high degree of memory, abstract thinking and especially excellent problem solving skills, which is probably the biggest marker of intelligence. I couple of my other friends are studying straight physics and math and entered one of the most difficult courses to get into.

These are the kind of people who will get top tier jobs working for companies like space x, nasa or working on the newest technology for the military.

You thinking STEM is just doing calculations or reproducing experiments just shows how little you know.

Stem autists don't count, they read books written by this guy and call Dante boring. What are you trying to prove?

/
FUCKING
THREAD

absolutely this

>image.jpg
I'm not surprised that a phoneposter is unable to appreciate art.

Basically this.
>philosophy is bullshit m8
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Good one.

You can tell it doesn't have a useful application but it's much harder to study phylosophy than physics or maths.

ABSOLUTELY THIS

THIS SO MUCH

OH MY GOD THIS. THIS SO MUCH

THIS RIGHT HERE

PACK IT UP FOLKS

Realizing that all art is pleb

>who in a lot of ways are just as dumb as the average blockbuster viewer?
1) What does it even mean?
2) Did someone criticize your favorite superhero movie?

>both groups insulted in op

>deep tv shows
Couldn't you write this on the first paragraph so I could have stopped reading right there?

Dude it's the voltage over a diode when you don't disregard the voltage drop over the PN junction lmao

Lmao so what you're saying is that people who have "good" taste (the same taste as you) are not very bright.

Imagine being so wrong. Back to /lit/ you go

English isn't my first language, and again, I never claimed to be very intelligent my self. I am stumbling trough the course they are acing. The most intelligent of my friends all have very basic and mainstream tastes. And this expands to acquaintances and class mates who I consider intelligent.

people on this board actually believe that shit like Batman vs Superman is superior to your average blockbuster movie, so I never know.