What's the recommended reading list for Superman?

What's the recommended reading list for Superman?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/y8sy2269pvgzy/Superman
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

All-Star Superman, Action Comics 775, Birthright, Secret Origins, American Alien, Red Son, Superman Rebirth, Peace on Earth, Last Son

The book that cemented me as a Supes fan is Birthright. So while it's not a list I think it's a great start

Kurt Busiek's Secret Identity
Alan Moore's Supreme
Mark Millar's Superior

Adding more:
Final crisis + Superman beyond
Morrison's run on action comics
Both Of Geoff Johnes's runs

I'll look into Birthright either way.

I read All-Star before and honestly didn't much care for it. It's good but...

I always like to recommend Superman: Strength, an obscure but amazing miniseries written by Scott McCloud, the Understanding Comics guy. Kinda hard to find, but worth your time, honest.

>I read All-Star before and honestly didn't much care for it. It's good but...
I think it works better for people who are already into Superman. I read it as my first Superman comic and didn't really see the appeal but came back to it later and liked it a lot more.

>ALL-STAR CASUAL
>Morrisson faggot

Doesn't you have anything with the same tone as DCEU Superman?

Most of Morrison's Action Comics run is relatively down to earth until the finale.

If you like shit you can have Superman Earth-1 I suppose

Figure I'll get back to it another time then.

What about Death of Superman, is that worthwhile?

Marketing stunts are not worthwhile. Do not bother with Death of Superman.

Marketing stunts are not worthwhile. Do not bother with Final Crisis.

Give him a fucking red belt

Whatever happened to the man of tomorow?

Final crisis is great regardless of why it was made. All comics are just made to make money anyway

Give him this instead.

Grounded is a damn good read for seasoned fans and newcomers alike, look it up user.

another question, in what order should I read these? it feels like they all happen at different times of superman life.

>DCEU Superman

>Superman Earth 1
There are about 20-35% similar plot points in Superman E1 as in MoS but that's about it. Tonally no.

The only thing tonally in print you are going to find to DCEU Superman is essentially Injustice Gods Amongst Us. The first few years are out in trades, start there.

Everything else you have been recommended will be disappointing if you are only interested in 'the same tone' as MoS and BvS. You will find anywhere from 2% to 8% of the beats from either movie in any one of these runs/minis/collections, etc.

You better off reading non-Superman stories.

Irredeemable.

>Death of Superman, is that worthwhile?
It is, but more than half of it is while Superman is dead.
There's Doomsday, which is one big fight scene with some beautiful spreads.
Funeral for a Friend, which is everyone reacting to the death and being sad with some great spreads.
Reign of the Supermen is my favorite part. Superboy, Cyborg Superman and Eradicator are all fantastic, but Steel was them trying to make a new Superman Family character from scratch, basically.
And Return is more fight scenes.

Fuck you, don't put him through that, you asshole.

Try John Bryne's Superman run, he wrote for 2.5 years and for a while he was writing 4 books a month
Keep going after that if you want, but it can be a huge slog at times

Death of Superman is good at times but the middle section is extremely boring and skippable

I also recommend anything by Grant Morrison, he thinks of Superman as the god of all heroes and uses him symbolically in almost all his books

Trying to be realistic user, the trunks are never coming back

>American Alien
>Red Son
>Rebirth
>What's so funny
Half of this user's recs are thrash. Ignore this post entirely.

I can't believe you found room to call those out but left Secret Origins untouched.

Yeah, that too. I just read Secret and assumed it to be secret identity(which is the one Superman comic starting with "secret" one would expect in a best of Superman thread)

Action Comics #1-974
Superman Vol 1 #1-714
Superman Vol 2 #1-226
Superman Rebirth
Superman Vol 4 #1-18

any order you want

I know...

Supreme isn't actually a superman story, but instead it is Alan Moore's love letter to the entire superman concept.

Grounded is the Superman version of that scene in Clerks 2 when Randall acts out the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Final Crisis is actually a good book despite being a marketing stunt. Morrisson really believes in this shit.

I agree on Death of Superman though.

>All comics are just made to make money anyway
You lie!

Best Superman comic coming through.

>Grounded is a damn good read for seasoned fans and newcomers alike, look it up user.
NO!

Grounded is one of the WORST Superman stories ever written.

Also, the fact that no one has mentioned Man of Steel by John Byrne is a fucking travesty.

This is a really good reading list for Supes. I'd also throw in Death, Reign, and Return.

Death of Superman was a mundane storyline that lead to the idiot character, shit, can't remember the name, Bane? No, that's not it. Angry Rock Guy, let's say, who because of the mundane nature of the stupid story, got lodged as one of the Great Superman Bad Guys.

We haven't been rid of him since. He's even adopted one of the most tired of all superpower tropes: adapting so he can't be killed the same way twice.

Also, Superman gets better. I know that spoils it for you because you might think they were going to kill off their most popular character.

Not with that defeatist attitude

>No Secret Identity
Come on, now.

Also Red Son, Sup Forums's story-time version with the edited letter page.

Is the 'adapting so he can't be killed the same way twice' really all that common? What about at the time?

I mean I agree, Doomsday is a garbage villain. But nothing's springing to mind in the "adaptive immortality" department.

Here's a pretty solid collection I have, has quite a few mentioned in the thread.

mediafire.com/folder/y8sy2269pvgzy/Superman

Read All-Star Superman and Morrison's run on Action Comics. If you like what you read then read the new Superman Rebirth comics.