Should I watch Samurai Jack?

I have never, ever, ever watched a single episode of Samurai Jack at all, and I know almost nothing about it aside from the basics like who the villains are, how X9 is a great episode or something, and how the show is written.

With all the hype for the next season, the sudden surge of Samurai Jack stuff from the reveal has made me wonder:
>Should I watch Samurai Jack?
I watched this clip:
youtube.com/watch?v=t7N67hn0TlA
I really liked it. I dunno.
Has the show held up well?

t.manchild incapable of deciding whether or not to watch a cartoon

While the pilot is still great, a lot of the earlier (like season 1)episodes are pretty basic and not very memorable. I feel like people seem to forget that. There's definitely a lot of great ones throughout the show though and it was probably my favorite show growing up.

>yfw you watched Jack Remembers the Past for the first time

As someone watching it for the first time, i highly recommend it. Great show, glad i decided to watch it before the new season. Im currently on s3.

Yes.

First 3 episodes are meant to be taken as a full thing, as they are actually just the debut movie split into 3 episodes. Just take that into consideration if you watch everything from start to finish.

After that, everything is mostly self contained. Expect all kinds of episodes; comedy, action, drama, art pieces, and any combination of those. Like 95% of the series is gold, and since each episode is its own thing, if an episode ain't doing it for you, just move onto the next.

>he goes on a board dedicated to cartoon shows on a japanese image board to call others manchildren for asking if they should bother watching a cartoon or not

See, shit like this
This really makes me hyped. I really hope the comedy angle of this show is like this. I'd fucking love it. I actually chuckled reading this.

>wanting to watch, 'Exposition: The Show'
Don't watch all episodes. 70% are yawn worthy.

I thought they hardly ever talked though?

If you can watch everything, if not here's the list of everything you need to watch.

must watch:

S1
>The Beginning
>The First Fight
>Jack and the Warrior Woman
>Jack and the Three Blind Archers
>Jack versus Mad Jack
>Jack and the Scotsman

S2
>Jack Learns To Jump Good
>Jack and the Scotsman Part 2
>Jack and the Ultra-robots
>Jack Remembers the Past

S3
>Jack in Egypt
>Jack and the Travelling Creatures
>Jack and the Swamp Monster
>Jack The Monks and the Ancient Master's Son
>The Birth of Evil Part 1 and 2

S4
>The Aku Infection
>The Scotsman Saves Jack part 1 and 2
>Jack versus Aku
>The 4 Seasons of Death
>Young Jack in Africa
>Jack and the Baby

Nonessential, but you should really watch (in order of importants)
>The Princess and the Bounty Hunters
>Tale of X9
>Jack and the Haunted House
>Samurai versus Ninja
>Jack and the Spartans
>Jack and the Zombies
>the Good The Bad and The Beautiful

>japanese image board

You and me both, user! Just finished Episode XXXIV.

You forgot Jack and the Lava Monster

Watch at least first three episodes. They are actually really great and Genndy is a fucking genius of "show, don't tell".

Then just sort of decide whether you think this episode sounds interesting or not, because premise is laid usually very early within episodes.

For example, 4th episode I knew I should've completely skipped, it's about ugly blue people vs. ugly fuzzy people. Or Jack Jumps Good, nothing bad, but very mediocre, nothing you haven't seen before.

However, I instantly knew that Blind Archers episode and Lava Monster would be something great, and they were and should not be skipped.

I remember being a kid and my brother teasing me for watching "a show about kids chasing grasshoppers" when he happened to catch a glimpse of that episode.

>Taiwanese shadowpuppet forum

I take it he didn't stick around for the Lone Wolf and Cub cameo

Ethiopian yodeling bbs

>exposition

W-Wha? I don't think you know what this word means.

Isn't Jack and the Zombies essential viewing? I thought that was the one where we learn in the hands of evil the sword cannot harm an innocent.

>4th episode I knew I should've completely skipped, it's about ugly blue people vs. ugly fuzzy people

I think that was the first episode I ever saw and I always kinda liked it. It works good for what amount of character development we do get for Jack early in the show. It is the first time he gets a chance to show empathy for a non-human, beastlike alien creature despite them looking untrustworthy and frightening to him at first, and he sides with them over more familiar humanoid looking creatures purely because it is the just thing for him to do. It does a good job setting up how he deals with the alien world he's been thrust into full of so many different races of people that are very strange to him.

Yeah. I usually couldn't get him to watch anything if I had liked it first.

Only other time I remember him commenting on Samurai Jack was when he did a double take watching Birth of Evil when he briefly mistook Jack's mom's pregnant belly to be an enormous rack.

>'Exposition: The Show'
What are you even on about?
Aside from the opening there's nearly no exposition whatsoever in this show.

Finally a good list.

I thought when Jack was in the night club already done a good job with it.

When he enters the club he sees strippers, fish faces, mad beats. He couldn't help but stare at everything and got punched, then he looked at the guy who punched him and guys behind him and saw a complete freakshow and finally came to a realization: he is the strange one, this is their norm.

And then he proceeds by talking to dogs.

This is pretty true.

I would say though that the Woolies provide a little bit of a distinction in being a bit more animalistic than the bargoers. Everyone in the bar was mostly humanoid despite inhuman features. They all stood up on two legs, had arms and hands, wore clothes, and talked. Jack had already met nearly every variation of human in his own era of varying colors, clothes, features, and cultures. In the bar he mostly had to accept people that might have a few extra eyes and shit, then got to meet the already very familiar dogs. He had some common ground for accepting the bargoers as people according to experience.

Accepting the Woolies presents a challenge of a similar nature but higher degree. They're naked, nonvocal quadrupedal animals that Jack is told are stupid not sentient livestock. He also is told that they are vicious and dangerous, then has a dream imagining them to be evil and resembling Aku. He needs to take a small leap of faith to get over his personal bias enough to trust them and trust logical observations about them.

The bar scene is an acceptable piece of development if it has to be left on its own, but Jack and the Woolies is an episode that expands on that sort of theme well, and doesn't need to be completely disregarded.