Would it have been better if they had traded places?

I feel Aang would have done much better in Korra's Situation, and she would do better at war then trying to create peace.

Korra would be just as bad at war.

>WE SHOULD PUNCH THEM
>Well, I was thinking we could sneak up on them with these underwater machine, land on the b-
>BOOORRRING

aang was actually the perfect person for both scenarios. yes he was a pacifist which doesn't really do a whole lot of good during a war, but he managed to resolve everything really well anyways.

Zukorra would be the greatest love story ever told

Eh, Korra would do much better at war then she did trying to create peace.

She's
>Agressive
>Impulsive
>An offensive bender

She'd do well, as long as Sokka and Toph anchor her rebellious personality.

Zuko also would be able to have a rival who wants to fight him

The problem is that even though Korra was supposed to be brawn type, SHE NEVER FUCKING WAS ACTUALLY GOOD AT FIGHTING. She could beat up random thugs, but she hasn't won a single major battle without Jinora.

Meanwhile, Aang's biggest fucking problem fighting Ozai with Sozin's Comet buff was not fucking killing him.

I just watched book 1 and book 2 with my siblings. They have never watched ATLA so they had a great time. Fuck, I am so nostalgic over it though. Book 1 is fucking solid, and Aang, despite being a kid and just wanting to have fun, is a really nice protag. You can't help but cheer for him.

I don't think Korra would've been able to broker a peace between the four nations at the end. She'd take down Ozai, sure, but then the other three nations would be out for revenge and since she fails at diplomacy the balance gets thrown out anyway.

>Zuko also would be able to have a rival who wants to fight him
That's terrible for Zuko's character development though. Half of the reason he's able to come around is because the narrative he's convinced himself of where the Avatar is this huge threat gets challenged.

Did you prepare them for the letdown of Book 3?

She has the worst case of plot induced jobbing I've ever seen.

Every time she is about to win a fight, the villain asspulls a new out of nowhere technique, poison kicks in or the villain gets saved by a henchman.

I honestly forgot what goes on with book 3. I know bits and pieces, and the finale, but most of it is gonna surprise me again.

All I know is that I fucking hate Mei. What an annoying character.

>Mei

My bad, I didn't notice the typo. I was in a Sup Forums Overwatch thread.

But eh, Mei or Mai, point still stands.

I was reaaaaally skeptical when the first season of korra aired. I was convinced it would crash and burn horribly.
However Amon was fantastic. Such a great idea for a new villian. The first half actually got me excited even though i felt it was weaker than TLA
Then they fucked it all up by the end and fucked it even harder with S2
Amon shouldve been the main villian, and the narrative of benders vs nonbenders shouldve been explored much deeper

i didnt finish S2, fuck that bullshit

They way the just disregarded the plight of the non benders (who had extremely valid points) by making Amon a bender (and out right ignoring the legitimate complaints) was awful.

Katara teaches her not to be such an impulsive fuck and to empathize with people
Sokka teaches her to strategize and fight with her head
She has a naturally development by learning from the two of them and they kick ass Water Tribe style.

>They way the just disregarded the plight of the non benders
If non-benders had any plight besides "benders who become criminals use their bending to their advantage" they didn't say jack shit about it in the show. Even in that case it's not a bender problem, it's a criminal problem.

well, they had the foundation to maybe explore some kind of conflict between the benders and the normals. Not necessarily full blown apartheid but something in that direction. Presenting the struggles of non-benders would feel very natural and real for the world, and it would generate sympathy for amons cause

i completely agree
they had the perfect setup for a great villian who the audience could agree and understand with
The avatar not representing the nonbenders and having to much unchecked power are legitimate complaints

Yeah Korra wouldn't have ran away in the first place so there wouldn't even have been a war.

You say that like running away wasn't better, in the end.

Had Aang stayed, he would have died.

I think that's precisely why they needed to be in the places they were. Aang's peaceful nature was the balm that soothed the war, and Korra's impulsiveness and aggression prevented stagnation from being the doom of the day.

I think that was the point though. Aang is a pacifist and yet he has to face firebreathing Imperial Japan. Korra is a hotheaded avatar but now has to deal with a more peaceful world.

This. She would have died as well in that same situation.

Korra was raised thinking she was hot shit, and lacked experience.

The ones who sheltered her are more to blame for her lack of ability, imo

The Fire Nation's plan wasn't very good

>kill air avatar, kill water avatar, oops we can't defeat Ba Sing Se or Omashu or any of the other great kingdoms of the Earth Kingdom and now they've got decades to train the avatar guess we're boned

It prevents the avatar from becoming fully realized ever if they wipe out the air benders, and then puts a 50% chance (they don't know about the swamps water benders) on wiping out the next avatar. Assuming they killed Aang, and then wiped out the water Avatar right after, that's 16 years at least of relatively unopposed success to work with.

>Katara teaches her not to be such an impulsive fuck and to empathize with people

More like Katara bitches at Korra a whole bunch until Korra sends her away.

Nah.

Korra is Bi, and Katara is hot. She'll keep her around.

She might off Sokka though, since she'll find him annoying.

I believe a large point of Book 1 of Korra was about the fact that she was in a situation Aang would've done better in, and it worked out that Aang was in a situation that Korra would've been better in.

Something about someone totally different to Aang and his approach.

Why? She loved Bolin and Mako and Sokka is like a combination of the two.

Though she might hate his early series sexism

Iroh would still be there go guide him.

To be fair, aforementioned jobbing aside, Korra fought villains who were arguably stronger than anybody Aang fought.

Darth Unalaq could take out comet-powered Ozai.

Amon could probably take out Ozai if he can get close enough.

Kuvira in the giant mech or the Exbendables stand a chance to beat him.

Korra also didn't get a chance to beat up Zuko a dozen times to inflate her record.

>Had Aang stayed, he would have died.
Citation needed.

He could have just yip yip Avatar state and beat them all.

>but muh Azula lightning
That was really just plot bending on Azula's part.

Do people just hate Korra because she is a woman?

I keep seeing that spelling
It triggers me

STRAW FEMINIST DUBS
RUN EVERYONE

Aang was also three years younger
Had to learn the other elements in three months
And still has better control over the spiritual side

>Korra is Bi, and Katara is hot
Sokka's hot as well.
Water Tribe threeways all day long

Sokka has a thing for the moon, tho.

>an offensive bender

But those are a dime a dozen in the war. What made aang so damn powerful was that even when he just had airbending, he could actually dodge and counterattack. Korra just tries to tank blows for some reason.

The only thing that could catch aang were a bunch of green arrow level archers, and even then they only caught him because he kept trying to pick up frogs. Korra gets bagged and tagged by every average joe in her damn series.

Aang would have probably done better against Korra's villains as well, because he'd have the sense to a) not humor them way too far and b) not fight them with their exact style.

I imagine Korra would too

Amon would not be able to take out Ozai.

>teleports behind Ozai
>bloodbends
>psst nothing personnel

>she would do better at war

Korra was a great bender, it's just she wasn't pro level.

All you need to overcome bloodbending is force of will. Mako was able to do it, so basically anyone can.

Mako only managed to do it it because Amon was distacted and because Mako still had his cool guy book 1 plot armor.

Fucking Aang the actual Avatar couldn't overcome bloodbending without going into the Avatar State.

>Katara teaches her not to be such an impulsive fuck and to empathize with people

You say this like Korra has ever taken advice well.

Not to mention the whole group dynamic would have fallen apart when Korra tried to fuck everyone in the group

What if they switched places with her?

How much is left of Ozai/Amon afterwards?

The fact that she got as close as she fucking could to a chi blocker instead of keeping her distance just proves how much of a moron she is

Actually most of the bending was horrid in Korra. And they significantly cheapened the Avatar state. Both in strength and the whole retcon bullshit

And I will never get over Korra magically being able to bend three elements with no teaching or training.

Aang in the avatar state would have wiped the floor with anyone Korra faced because Korra was a shitty fighter. Aang was back before they retcon everyone about the avatar.

Before:
>creating a massive tsunami
>moving a massive island
>erupting multiple volcanoes
>summoning tornado strength winds

After:
>Korra gets a little bit stronger

It was incredibly lame.

>Not to mention the whole group dynamic would have fallen apart when Korra tried to fuck everyone in the group
You mean when everyone in the group would try to fuck Korra.

>Korra was a great bender, it's just she wasn't pro level.
The people she encountered shouldn't really be pro either. Random chi blockers, old Water tribe men who are sitting behind desks or meditating stagnated, criminals who have not been able to move about freely for 13 years, and some dancer from a peaceful utopia, Korra should have crushed them in fights but struggled with the problems that arise from those groups coming about and deal with their implications.

>And I will never get over Korra magically being able to bend three elements with no teaching or training.
Katara took him to a pond and he immediately started waterbending.
All Aang had practiced for firebending was breathing and taking a stance none of the other firebenders are shown taking.

The difference being 1) instruction and 2) age

She was a toddler at age four. Aang was a prodigy and the earliest to master airbending at the age of twelve for his people.

And we still don't have an explanation for why she couldn't airbender cause of a lack of an"spiritual connection". No explanation at all and when she does learn to airbend it has fuck all to do with spirituality.

Nah, user, nah. Nearly all of Aang's character arcs revolved around confronting conflict. Like, the only reason he got into the situation he was in from the start was because he ran away from responsibility. Being forced to confront something much greater than what he left behind was the best test of his character and personality. He managed to not only learn elements that starkly contrasted his own nature, but he also managed to end the reign of a warlord in the most peaceful manner possible. If you just brought back Aang into a realm of relative peace and stability, he'd learn nothing.
Both of them needed to be out of their elements (pun intended) to grow as people. They both needed to learn what didn't come naturally to them to become balanced individuals.

If Korra had been in Aang's place I'm pretty sure Zuko would have never switched sides and he was a very important piece on overthrowing the fire nation.

Could someone explain to me why Korra was such a massive cunt all the time? Aang lost his whole people, Sokka and Katara lost their mother and their father for a good amount of time, Toph is blind and a runaway.

Why the fuck is Korra such a fucking cunt from the beginning? I'm serious go back to season one before anything happened and watch her just try to handle training. She doesn't put forth any effort and almost immediately gives up but then also flips out and yells at Tenzin in front of his kids and destroys the artifact they were using to train

I honestly would love to know why she is such a massive cunt.

That's... actually a fantastic point. Also can you imagine her trying to learn earthbending from Toph or any other teacher? She would have been alone. Hell the only reason the boys help her is because Bolin is an idiot with no other family, Mako wanted to stick his dick in the avatar, Asami was with Mako, and Tenzin felt an obligation and duty to his father.

Her main problem was that she was too dumb/sheltered. She didn't get any kind of education outside of fighting, had no real world experience, and didn't have any friends/anyone in her age group around her.

Korra failed so hard at everything because she was dumb, sheltered, angry, holier-than-thou and thought she was above the law.

She didn't know about chi blockers at that moment.

>Random chi blockers, old Water tribe men who are sitting behind desks or meditating stagnated, criminals who have not been able to move about freely for 13 years, and some dancer from a peaceful utopia

It's a cartoon. The gaang's most fearsome enemies in book 2 were a trio of rich teenage girls.

>Aang in his instant win avatar state would beat anyone
No shit.

It doesn't have to do with Korra being a shitty fighter; just Byrke nerfing the Avatar state and Korra in general.

>holier-than-thou and thought she was above the law.
If you are referring to day one in Republic City she was told she was the Avatar and what she knows Avatars do is help people so that's why she was confused as to why the police were strike at her immediately with metal bending cables. Other than that she doesn't think she's above the law and Tenzin only knew how to "teach" because his children were raised in airbending culture and had airbending potential right from birth.

>That's... actually a fantastic point.
A direct switch doesn't work for neither Korra nor Aang so just saying Zuko wouldn't join and that an earthbending teacher would be needed is sketchy as if you did just switch them then Korra wouldn't need Toph and Zuko would still have his conflict since Iroh would still be there to be his loving uncle plus his desire to regain his honor.

>I feel Aang would have done much better in Korra's Situation, and she would do better at war then trying to create peace.

Which is why it works better the way it is. You don't want your character put into a position where they fit, you want them put into a position of real challenge.

Aang's story works because he is a pacifist in a war, and Korra is always read to fight in a time of peace and politics.

>Korra gets a little bit stronger
Clearly haven't seen the series recently.

If you were capable of looking at the episode as a whole rather than just getting mad at individual events you would have seen that Korra was overly frustrated for finally facing a hardship when it came to bending training, eventually learns that her stubborn way of thinking was wrong, she apologizes to Tenzin for chimping out and burning the artifact, and Tenzin tells her that she did end up learning how to think like an airbender and that maybe his teaching methods might not have been what Korra needed to get the lesson to kick in.

Are you going to call Zuko a cunt too for telling Iroh that he is a lazy, mistrustful, shallow old man who's always been jealous of his brother?

>a time of peace and politics.
>Amon bombing a stadium full of people and recruiting people to overthrow governments
>Unalaq bringing in his military for no reason
>the Earth Queen training her airbenders for a conflict
>Zaheer wanting to kill everyone who sits at the head of the table, in the big chair, or that people defer to for government
>Kuvira
>a time of peace and politics
Not in an action adventure show.

that's pretty much the point and that's why their each put in the setting they are put into.

them being in the setting more ideal for them? it'd be boring, they'd have little reason to grow as people and stuff like that.

>I honestly would love to know why she is such a massive cunt.

She wasn't used to dealing with people/anything outside her containment chamber in the Water Tribe. Grew up thinking she was above everything and couldn't handle/understand real life because no one taught her anything outside of fighting.

So basically everything outside of fighting was hard for her because she had no experience with anything else. She's got anger issues because her life was fighting and isolation.

>Are you going to call Zuko a cunt too for telling Iroh that he is a lazy, mistrustful, shallow old man who's always been jealous of his brother?

Not him but I know the typical response.

Zuko suffered and endured hardships so his position is easier to understand than someone who was sheltered all their life and never had to face something she couldn't overcome on her own.

Also it's funny how the artifact is back at the end of the episode and up and running despite being "destroyed."

Unavaatu could pretty much shitstomp every other villain easily. Like we can argue if he's a stupid concept or not but he was pretty much "the Anti-Christ merges with Satan"

She beat Kuvira, and only had to rely on help against Zaheer because she was literally dying from being pumped full of Mercury during that entire fight, she would of stomped him otherwise.

Ozai can't do jack shit to an Amon focused on him. He gets knocked the fuck out by bloodbending then disposed of at Amon's leisure. Psychic bloodbending was stupid, but it shits all over Ozai.

Mako was not what he focused on, and secondly, no, willpower is not enough.

Guaranteed replies

I agree with you, but the show went out of its way to only show negatives for Korra and never let her have a fulfilling victory of her own.

>implying Toph has it worse compared to Korra
Toph doesn't have it bad at all. The only negative thing you could say is that she's blind, and even then it's not a disability 99% of the time. You could argue that her parents were overprotective, but can you blame her parents for being overprotective of their blind kid in the middle of a war? Other than that, she's a rich girl who never really had any troubles.

Korra was kidnapped by terrorists and as a result couldn't leave a compound for her whole adolescence, which is why she's the way she's is. Toph is just a bitch naturally. Comparing Toph to even the Gaang is silly since the worst of her troubles is something that happens to teenagers in modern day America.

To some extent I agree, the big bads needed more elite Mook that Korra could beat up, since obviously she can't beat the big bads till the end.

Fun fact: Korra is not only headstrong and confrontational to the point of sheer idiocy, but she also isn't a particularly exemplary fighter. This combination of traits, combined with an already abrasive personality and a lack of any higher brain function, frequently leads to her getting her teeth kicked in by stronger, and/or more numerous, adversaries...

Shut the fuck up. Korra is strong and smart, the only reason she ever loses is because the plot would end otherwise.

>since obviously she can't beat the big bads till the end.
Aang beat Zhao back when he had him burn his wooden ships.
Aang beat Azula on the Fire Nation's Drill, and then Azula disappeared despite them being defeated...

They could have had Korra beat Amon, Zaheer, and Kuvira like how they showed her picking up Unalaq and tossing him around twice with airbending. Just write it in such a way that the whole plot doesn't crumble from the win and makes sense for the character. Aang wouldn't kill Zhao and end his campaign there as it is against Aang's character. Keep things like character in mind along with the world and not just a plot that doesn't even make sense on the brain.

IIRC one of the bigger things, at least in the original, was mindset. A straightforward, blunt method of problem solving is excellent for Earthbending, but if Aang was all about inner peace and being freespirited. His lack of forcefulness is why earthbending was so difficult for him.

As I recall, firebending also requires an enormous level of self-control and discipline, if only so you don't kill yourself, so I'm not sure that Korra really fits that either.

So Korra, by ATLA's rules, would have a knack for Earthbending and have a harder time with airbending and firebending. Not that it matters since they forgot that bending requires kung fu to work.

>This combination of traits, combined with an already abrasive personality and a lack of any higher brain function, frequently leads to her getting her teeth kicked in by stronger, and/or more numerous, adversaries...
It's mostly due to the terrible reverse plot armor, the need to give supporting characters their own time and the lack of fodder mooks and jobbers like Zuko to pad out a winning record against.

>As I recall, firebending also requires an enormous level of self-control and discipline
yeah, because Zuko had SO much self control and discipline...

>since they forgot that bending requires kung fu to work.
No they didn't?

>As I recall, firebending also requires an enormous level of self-control and discipline, if only so you don't kill yourself, so I'm not sure that Korra really fits that either.
>So Korra, by ATLA's rules, would have a knack for Earthbending and have a harder time with airbending and firebending.
She was brought up in waterbending with her parents and culture so, like how Tenzin can't teach except by default how his children were raised in airbending culture, she'd have waterbending.

Fire is about desire and a drive to achieve what you want hence why Zuko's fire burnt out and he had to get a new flame. So Korra wanting to carry the mantle of Avatar is her fire.

And you already explained earthbending though Aang's problem translated to one day of "so difficult."

>the need to give supporting characters their own time
During the finale and buildup to the finale, in place of the main character who we are following, as a capstone to her journey of the season...give the focus to a supporting character who shouldn't even be there or doing what they are doing in the first place?

They are different scenarios.

Korra's stories involved 4 different cases of a big bad slowly becoming a super big bad for which they bad guys needed constant wins in order to be a credible threat in the finale (it doesn't help that Korra was robbed of two victories in two finales due to the need to make Jinora useful)

ATLA on the other hand started with the big bad already being on super big bad levels so it was mostly episodic adventures of Aang running away from whichever Fire Nation villain was chasing him in while he tried to reach an important place where he could get more power. With the only real defeats coming in Crossroads of Destiny and Day of Black Sun

I don't know why but everything you said reminded me of Katara getting to beat Azula in Sozin's Comet over Zuko.

Ignoring the fact that your explanation that Korra's potential is being limited due to restrictions of the plot, as if she exists outside of the plot rather than as a component of it, doesn't make sense...

If try to explain away Korra's incompetence as the writers trying to preserve of the plot by altering the properties of characters within said plot, then you funnel all the scrutiny back onto the show's writing and narrative design as a whole...

>I don't know why but everything you said reminded me of Katara getting to beat Azula in Sozin's Comet over Zuko.
Now imagine that happening to Korra in each season and the comics, but that's exactly what happened and will continue to happen so long as one of Bryke is at the helm.

>as if she exists outside of the plot rather than as a component of it, doesn't make sense...
It's like their decision to make her bisexual. It doesn't make sense but they did it. So too does the plot take priority over the character. The plot dictates that Korra loses because, then it is so. The plot dictates that Korra finally notices Asami, then it is so.

> ... the plot take priority over the character. The plot dictates that Korra loses because, then it is so. The plot dictates that Korra finally notices Asami, then it is so.

What the hell are you talking about?

Are you high?

The plot isn't just supposed to exist for its own sake, the plot exists to structure a story...

The setting, the characters, the set-ups, the conflicts are all components that are supposed to be designed alongside one another and then assembled to produce a coherent plot that is consistent and stable enough to survive the scrutiny of an audience while they are lead through the story...

Under no circumstances should the characters of a story be vying ~against~ the direction of the plot, as if they are independent entities...

Both would have preferred the others scenario at the start of the series.

I'm not sure that Korra would have wished for a world war.

That's the catch. If Aang had been like Korea it wouldn't be as entertaining. That was a main character conflict. Him being a peaceful nomad during a time of great strife.

wow another thread whith idiots shitting on korra

You think they'd have gotten bored with it by now and move on, like many of the people who liked Korra did.

>Can't Airbender because not spiritual at all

>Just says fuck it and learns to Airbender by fighting

>Suddenly airbends good enough to KO a psychic bloodbender because she was pissed.

She literally gets everything she wants her way and never learns a single lesson ever.