While the film itself was innocuous...

While the film itself was innocuous, does anyone else feel like the merchandising of a folkloric hero held in such high regard may have been in bad taste?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xY0U2pSRYeg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yep and I ain't even Polynesian. But that sort of thing just happens in this world. I am christian and it pains me, but my own religion has also been commercialized.

Not really
That's the point of folk heroes
There is no canon
The point of the folkstories is to be enjoyed

Sort of. I can understand objections though.
Im not trying to bait here, but why did nobody give a shit when the same stuff happened with Hercules and The Sword in the Stone?

you really want to have a reason to be upset don't you
mind your own business

While I get what you're saying, I think there's a stark difference between "Honk if you love Jesus" bumper stickers and selling figurines and costumes of a deity for profit.

Although I believe I have seen Jesus costumes....

With Hercules there's the fact nobody in Greece hails him as a folk hero anymore.

With sword in the stone, well... it was never heavily commercialized and didn't depict any holy figures besides the obvious Christian implications.

sadly no one gives a fuck about greek mythology

I feel like a lot of Disney movies may be considered "in bad taste" in terms of adapting certain stories, sometimes using historical figures, etc.

I'm not saying I'm offended by it myself, but if someone is you can't exactly blame them.

Name one person who actually belives Hercules to be a defender or champion of man in the modern world though.

Greek mythology is a dead religion and the King Arthur tales is just general folklore with many different stories being added on throughout the ages.

I can sort understand OP's thought if the folklore in question is based on a currently followed religion but if I recall wasn't Maui a made up character simply based around multiple different Polynesian stories?

No Maui is the equivalent of Hercules to Polynesian religion. He is an actual character in their culture

>wasn't Maui a made up character

Hell no. Maui is a folk hero who has many stories of his deeds that have been told in many Polynesian cultures (with some variance among the different cultures). He's a folk hero held in high regard by almost every Polynesian culture.

Meh, maybe I just can't recall any good ones on the top of my head but the only one I'd say that was in bad taste was Pocahontas.

My bad, false information I didn't check in my part.

The main problems I had with that were historical inaccuracy and a pretty stereotypical and inaccurate depiction of the cultures of the Native American tribes living on the New England coast.

It's message that savagery is possible on both sides was pretty well done though.
All good bro

>The Sword in the Stone
Because they're white

>King Arthur tales is just general folklore with many different stories being added on throughout the ages.

And Maui isn't?

I know a Hawaiian who owns a Maui plush
He also scoffed at "Haoles" who got offended by the Halloween costume

King Arthur was never depicted in the same severity as Maui is and was. He's a demigod and defender of humanity, not some divine right bullshitter and defender of some rainy islands.

They cast all Polynesian/Somoan voice actors for this movie, I'm pretty sure someone would let them know if it was in bad taste

I think the bigger problem at hand with this is the inevitable commercializations at their Hawaiian resorts, which are already screwing over local people and property values.

I thought the movie was pretty good, I don't think I'd have much issue with something I hold in high regard being presented in a similar fashion.

Who gives a shit. Its a godamn movie, i dont care about their culture outside of it making a humorous 2 hour flick.

Considering Disney got Polynesian people to play the two lead roles, no one from those cultures probably got offended. My dad was friends with a Samoan woman who was good friends with the Rock because that's how small their communities are apparently. Au'li'i or however you spell it, is probably okay with it. Even if she wasn't she has a foot in the door at Disney now. Hard to not be pragmatic when a multi-billion dollar corporation offers you a job to headline a movie.

You're missing the point. The film isn't the problem. The commercialization of it via toys and costumes is.

Arthur was the source of inspiration for generations of medieval hipsters who pushed for the idea of a lost age of chivalry.

>not some divine right bullshitter and defender of some rainy islands.
>Maui is a bullshitter trickster hero given his powers by the divine right of the Gods, and is defender of some sunny islands

I'm honestly not seeing the cultural distinction. Kids still grow up knowing and idolizing King Arthur and Robin Hood, doesn't hold some ostentatious cultural meaning to them, they just like them because they're cool heroes who did awesome shit. How is Maui any different from them in that regard? Why is it a big deal? Disney can make bank by exploiting the cultural heritage of every other nation and people on Earth but they should draw the line at Polynesians?

SIXTEEN

Polynesian kids shouldn't get Maui PJs to wear or action figures to play with? Why not?

Isn't that a good thing for folklore heroes? The more prolific they become in society the better; the legend will never die

There is nothing wrong with films being made about these characters or kids idolizing them. Hell, both Maui and King Arthur were pretty badass. Their adventures are epic.

The distinction is that one is a hero who, while fighting for the Christian god, is still very much a mortal man, while the other is a hero who is practically a deity in his own right, and is a fully fledged one in some Polynesian cultures.

The problem is that this is the first time Disney has actually made money selling merchandise related to an actual deity with strong ties to culture and faith rather than a cultural or historical figure.
Any kid can get them, Polynesian or not, but the point is that Disney has been promoting commercializing to a dangerous degree with this breach into actual religious figures.

only if that culture has a taboo on depicting its folklore heroes. very few do, and those that do are kinda shit
the rules always vary though. like most people think it's weird to name your kid jesus, but hispanics do it like crazy

dont forget the action figures
i fucking love that shit. as long as you arent in denial about making profit being your goal, and try to make out that you're doing something holy or whatever to trick people into buying it..

look, gentrification sucks when it makes people unable to afford their own homes, but you cannot deny it's good for the area at large. those people are going to start making more at work, in general, than they used to, and enjoy a lot more quality public shit. without the resorts they'd be living in slums, probably forever

Do Polynesians actually give a shit about him from a religious perspective rather than a cultural one though? At all? Because if they DID, I'd think they'd have taken far more issue with his portrayal in the film.

Honestly sounds like you're reaching for reasons to be offended on behalf of people who don't give a shit.

>does anyone else feel like the merchandising of a folkloric hero held in such high regard may have been in bad taste?

We don't give a fuck.

The only people who care are whiny halo'es that didn't know Maui from a surf company last year. You'd have to dig pretty deep to find any actual local boys who care.

What's exactly is the problem with the toys now?

So, only shit from white cultures get to be on happy meal boxes? Is that what you're saying?

I get what you're saying, but I remember a Hawaiian man who went on a tangent in a moana thread when it first came out who basically said he and his neighbors had been in really tough times since the resorts opened and I can't help but feel pretty bad over it.

Do you actually have an image of King Arthur on the side of a happy meal box?

No joke that'd be pretty baller.

>Any kid can get them, Polynesian or not, but the point is that Disney has been promoting commercializing to a dangerous degree with this breach into actual religious figures.
This is a very christian understanding of religious figures. there is no holy dogma or revered church to take offense.

I remember seeing them, but the closest I can easily find are the Mystic Knights of Tir An Og. The Irish power ranger knights thing.

Fuck, look at what the Nips did to their Shinto religions. The legendary Tanuki isn't a figure of good luck. He's the bastard you have to pay off the mortgage at the start of the game. China has made gang busters off Budha statues. Reverence to the old religions seem to be a Judeo-Christian thing.

>Mentions of Hercules and Arthur
>No one mentions Thor

Don't some Scandinavian countries still worship him too, not in a large amount but still a small significant number?

I remember this thing

I also remember the power rangers one

I never managed to collect them all

>implying anyone cares about neopagans

Especially since some sects of norse neopagans are also nazis, people would probably go out of their way to shit on thor if they thought they were "pissing off nazi shitlords"

I just get reminded of that crazy lady on Twitter who called Disney racist for not sexualizing "Pasifika" characters like Moana and Lilo.

Yeah, I misremembered. The arthur I was thinking of were toy store toys.

Opening:
youtube.com/watch?v=xY0U2pSRYeg

Show concept was an American football team sent to Camelot to defend the realm.

It's for the best. No one should eat that many cheeseburgers.

Was she also mad that Maui didn't crawl up Tifiti's vagina to die at the end of Moana?

That made me low key salty NGL

Even if they had to hide it or leave the teeth out, I still wanted to see vagina crushing action.

Maybe. I just remember how batshit she was regarding Moana, posting essay-long Twitter threads over how angry she was that people will discover Polynesian culture through a Disney movie. And then she went out about how Lilo & Stitch was demeaning her race and taking away their sexual identity.

Got any pics of it?

im tongan and everyone i know loved it

worrying about that is another case of white guilt gone too far, being offended on behalf of other peoples

Nah.

Holy shit this offends me.

Not because he's a holy figure, but damn that craftsmanship is shit tier.

>the merchandising of a folkloric hero held in such high regard may have been in bad taste?

No.
It's done all the time with other folklore and old religions and stuff.

I consider it flat out racisim. Fuckers who've never eaten a loco moco plate lunch are trying to exert control over depictions of islander culture. Trying to tell people what they can and can't do for their own bigoted reasons.

It's like when they got WB to pull Speedy Gonzales, but didn't ask any actual mexicans how they felt about it.

Wait wait WAIT! She was angry that they DIDN'T sexualize MINORS! O-o

Yes

I'd hit it. Don't lie, you would too.

Remember this shit? I wonder what would happen if I were to ever tell these people that it's good that white people are diluting Nip culture because I'm Filipino and they conquered my homeland in WW2 and oppressed my people.

Dafuq? Why is there such a double standard when women are pedos? Shit like this is why lady teachers only get community service for sleeping with their students.

Speedy is clever, fast, witty, and an asset to his community. Considering what some folks think about mexicans, that's not a bad depiction. Personally, I love Speedy!

>white institutions condoning erasure of the narrative orientalism
Translation?

Different culture where western values were only introduced relatively recently. Cultural Relativism is useful for onjectively viewing the past, and western values against the sexualization of minors is a recent developement in virtually all cultures in general now that I think of it.

TALA MOANA, WARRIOR

Mulan as well, sorta.

Plus, liberals are forced to face up a paradox. Like the burqini drama in France last year.

The resort industry in Hawaii has already been fucking up their culture for quite some time.

Luaus used to be important events and now they're just the grass skirt equivalent of Dave & Buster's.

>had plenty of space to write "without"
>wrote "w/o" anyway

lol omg wtf its almost lik her generashun is all r-tards amrite ;D It amazes me when people are incapable of typing without these lazy "contractions," or worse yet, writing them out.

Also, that run-on sentence. Please advertise your lack of intelligence and inability to form presentable arguments.

>+ it's killing us.

Source. It's almost like you're just overreacting for the sake of attention.

Marxist idealogues redefine words to fit their world view. I wonder how many of thise protesters were Chinese? Are they aware of the famines and cultural erasure that Marxism brought to China?

we still teach from a super euro-centric pov

Well, I know that Manchu is now spoken by 10 people only.

You can buy just about anything with Jesus plastered all over it. Costumes, toys, "art", coffee mugs, t-shirts, playing cards, and let's not forget the figurines.

Religion will be forever commercialized because it's a guaranteed market, a captive audience.

A necessary evil. This movie wouldn't be able to e made if the execs didn't get some return in merchandising.

Do Norwegians care about Marvel selling Thor action figures?

No

It's not as bad as, say, attempting to purchase a holiday so they had rights to the name of it for a future release...

Would they care when they sell toys of a black woman and call it Valkyrie?

>for not sexualizing "Pasifika" characters like Moana and Lilo.

Sounds like my kind of lady.

I thought it was fucking hilarious. As a bonus from what I remember, the protesters didn't have a single Japanese speaker there. The closest they had was a severely asschapped pinay. And then actual japanese counterprotestors showed up.

And unbelievably, the museum caved mid exhibition.

So you had white people and filipinos telling japanese people that they were wrong and that they needed to stop the very white museum from doing an exhibition of japanese culture that was supposed to go along with a famous french dude who loved japanese shit and painted a white girl wearing a japanese robe.

Holy martin luther king nailed to a church door. It's like the racial whining version of Kingdom Hearts.

For one, I wouldn't mind if the age of consent was scaled back to 14.

t. 30 year old

>european populated nation founded by europeans is euro-centric

Fucking crazy

that's not even historically inaccurate if you ignore Hercules being a myth. Gladiators were basically pro wrestlers and did sponsorship deals for wine and crap.

>merchandising
Indifference.

>Company promoting itself as champions of diversity for doing so
Dirty.

>People buying into it.
Depressing.

>White people protesting said use as cultural appropriation
Rage-inducing.

Gentrification really isn't good for the area at all. It forces the locals out into other slums. It causes housing prices to sky rocket and its only really sustainable in areas where the property's appeal never changes. The natives in hawaii have to deal with having their land bought out from under them. (primarily wealthy japanese at the moment, though rich Chinese have started buying up as much land as possible in the USA, often leaving the buildings completely unused.) Anyone who can't afford to live somewhere gets forced somewhere else. This doesn't solve the issues you see in slums. (Substance abuse, criminal behaviour, etc) it just forces them out of the public eye so tourists don't have to deal with it.

All the positives, as usual, go to the upper classes. All the negatives go to the lower classes. If you're in one of the tourist zones maybe you can make money off the tourists and get out of the slums so perhaps I'm being hyperbolic.

If you're in an innercity area where business types try to gentrify the area to increase the value of their land its a net-negative because inevitably no one in the local community can afford to live there and if you don't have someone BUYING that land or USING it what's the point? The price plummets when no one can afford those shitty overpriced condos and everyone suffers.

but it portrayed mexican mice as lazy.

You complaining when you aren't concerned in any way is bad taste. Stop patronizing other culture, fascist pig.

What's the problem with that?

>be euro
>be taught euro history
HOW DARE THEY

Hercules

op is a faggot

Why anyone would want a Maeve toy is beyond me.

Yeah, kind of. Since it came from people who still struggle to have their own nation after it was claimed and taken, things like this sort of add insult to injury. But Disney tried really hard; check out the credits with all those cultural consultants. Yeah, they profited from it, but they promoted their culture in a positive light.

Polynesian people being mad about Maui having action figures is like if I (as a chinese person) was mad about Mulan underwear

>Yeah, kind of. Since it came from people who still struggle to have their own nation after it was claimed and taken, things like this sort of add insult to injury.
Get fucking help, white pig. Stop acting like non americans are child brained pets in need of your superior protection and wisdom.

The only people who would think this way are white people ridden with guilt over something they shouldn't be concerned about in the slightest

A lot of Greek media hated Hercules when it came out for profiting off their history and culture

Reminds me of how Mark Zuckerberg sued Native Hawaiins for their land. He dropped the charges after protests, but the fact that he sue people off their land is fucked in itself.

He did that? The fuck