'Member?

'Member when diversity was something that happened naturally and wasn't forced?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e8um1N78AhY
youtube.com/watch?v=xS027mYtRu8
youtube.com/watch?v=udId1PJckhA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Which one is the trans one? It's the boy in the skirt, huh?

It's always been forced, dude

Nuh uh. This was as natural as the mornin' dew

This isn't forced. Black mother nature said so.

I used to like to pretend Kid Vid was a cute girl.

>black friend?! jew kid?! tomgirl?! FAG KID?! THIS IS MADE TO PANDER TO THE RADICAL SJW LEFTIST AGENDA

It was more forced as shit than now-a-days, the only difference is that the news business has changed and people can no longer get money purely off of TV and newspapers, forcing companies to hire bloggers who call themselves journalists to make clickbait articles to get revenue from websites. So now everytime a cartoon stars a non-white kid, these bloggers blow it the fuck up and try to make it go viral on social media so they can hit a quota and get paid.

If this same business model was around back in the 90's, you can bet your ass Hey Arnold would be making headlines every week with how progressive it is.

As a kid in 2005, I was a bit bummed when they got rid of these guys and replaced them with a Puppet Burger King

>all those tokens
If this was poker you'd be going all-in

>diversity
>most of the characters are white
>most of the characters are male

ITS NOT A SKIRT!

I love it when stuff like this is posted and you see people reacting with "wow, they predicted the rise of SJWs!"

I can see it.

>Implying the 90s wasn't when the diversity=good meme started kicking into high gear

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know diversity ONLY referred to skin color and gender

Do we prefer the 1950s flavor of diversity?

wow, they predicted the rise of the SJWs!

But some aren't. Meaning they aren't all the same. If only there were a word for that...

>tfw Mexicans actually love Speedy Gonzalez

>Jews
>white

I still think its better now than in the 90's, at least blacks are just blacks now.

That flat top game was on point though

>there are people posting here RIGHT NOW that preferred Boomer to Snaps

What a bunch of faggots.

I do. And I'd bet Gonzales would win in Mexico over Eduardo, America Chavez, Lingo and Ma-Ti combined.

Who do we ship? Jaws and Lingo seem like a given.

Static Shock was the best at natural diversity .

Kid Vid and JD definitely had a thing going

Hm, I suppose I'll give you that one, since I can't think of anything that incorporated it more smoothly. Although I think Hey Arnold pulled it off without seeming too stilted a majority of the time as well.

I prefer bad accents over "They run a taco stand". Fucking Victor and Valentine, Turbo. I'm shocked Marco's family in Star Vs. doesn't run a taco restaurant.

Are you seriously telling me this doesn't look like a white man?

Looks like a scruffy nerf herder to me.

I've always wondered why they don't get offended, and I mostly think it's because they didn't get the American 'hoo lawdy someone dun triggahd me' stuff. And the stereotypes are sort of soft, or even barely apparent in Speedy Gonzales.
>mishmash of spanish and english
>sombreros
>criminal nature
Speedy Gonzales is sort of playful in his stereotypes, the squatness, or obsession with taking siestas and breaks instead of working, large families, etc. don't apply to him. Plus, Mexico's moved from one dictator to corrupt governor to another, so an implicit love of criminal enterprising (more the big score or Robin Hood criminal, not the 'cut your head off and sell meth' criminal) is always somewhat present in Mexican culture, much like we always have that undercurrent of fantastic thieves or even Mafia organizations, the criminal as a profession than as a behavior or disease.

Even the 'slow' characters in Speedy Gonzales are given ways to play up the bit with Slowpoke Rodriquez, as some super mentalist who can hypnotize Sylvester with a stare. It's a mix on Tom and Jerry with mild playful stereotyping, and I think that's why Mexicans like it. They can take a joke. I think that would help all of us out, to be able to take a actual fucking joke once in a while.

What DOES Mr. and Mrs. Diaz even do that they can take this much time off?
It's all the foreign exchange lodging money isn't it? They're running a racketeering business of authentic Californian student exchanges, and pocketing expenses they never use.

Reminder that Kwami was the leader, but not because he was black.

No, that would be Mr. Hyuhn after his promotion to head chef at El Patio in the episode "Family Man". (He knows how to make tacos properly.)

Angie teaches Poetry at the local community college and Rafael is a well-to-do artist. I guess they must make a lot of money off Rafael's paintings or the Butterfly's pay them a lot to take care of Star.

>wheel chair kid

I miss that about the 90s.

Well that settles it. Money laundering, there's meth in the portraits.

It also helps that Speedy's a hero character who always outsmarts his enemies. He's a stereotype but he isn't played negatively.

Jaws and that blonde girl.

I vaguely recall Kwame being more take charge and focused on objectives than the rest. Wheeler and Linka were both kind of immature and hotheaded, Ma'ti seemed a lot younger than the rest and I barely remember Gi at all.

He's Vietnamese, though.

I miss rollerblades

There are 2 minorities in that picture, and they're both huge stereotypes.

It's okay, he puts a little extra rice in the tacos.

youtube.com/watch?v=e8um1N78AhY

And thus flies headlong into the stereotype of Mexicans running Mexican restaurants. (HA! had a knack for taking stereotypes and turning them sideways.)

Well it's less of a stereotype and more of a straight up fact that Mexican restaurants run by Mexicans are strictly better than Mexican restaurants run by non-Mexicans.

And he knows to put the meat in the tacos first, then the tomatoes, and then the cheese.

Wasn't that Blaxploitation

>Criminal
Crossing the border barely counts as breaking the law in that culture. It's like a parking ticket.

>mishmash of spanish and english
Which is actually found in many chicano households.

>Sombreros
Why would they be offended by those? They have them at cultural celebrations. When was the last Mariachi band you saw without one?

The biggest reason is that Mexico isn't as hung up about race as America is. The divide is much more about the rich, urban, whitish mexicans, and the poor, rural indianish mexicans.

Representation for racial reasions isn't as big of a thing, except with the communists. They love the fuck out of Anime and there's zero mexican characters in most of those.

I thought user was referring to Helga

Damn, son

I always imagined the cripple joined the team to capture the ghost of his legs

well I know that race isnt an issue it's more class and also how much more european is in your blood.
indigenas are usually way poorer than the Castizos.
they only really dont like spain because of the conquesting that went on there years ago.

>They can take a joke. I think that would help all of us out, to be able to take a actual fucking joke once in a while.

This man.

I hope not sound too Sup Forums but if you learn to take a joke, you wouldn't have any problems of PC, SJW on one hand and Sup Forums shitposters and belong to a ghetto on the other hand.

t. South American

No.
Complaints on this website are becoming more and more banal.

What? I had no idea the show shipped these two together. I knew Wheeler and Linka had a thing.

Nope.

As a dude that loves Gundam I may have killed myself if this was a thing. How disgusting.

No.

>los matches
kek love the atention to the details and as a side note everyone in mexico love speedy

>dat nose
Yes.
Wanna have it notarised?

Most foreign countries love outsider perspectives or interpretations of their culture as long as it's respectful.

People here called Kung Fu Panda cultural appropriation. China loved the movie so much they had to research how foreigners managed to outdo China with representations of their own country

It could have been part of a wave of godawful anime adaptions.

>Black kid
>Asian kid
>Irish kid
>Fat kid
>Eastern European kid
>Wathever Arnold was supposed to be
>Rich kid
>Jewish kid (twice)
>American kid with megamerican father

Man I'm lucky I never met a wheelchair kid growing up
I just know I would have stolen the wheelchair and gotten in trouble

wasn't the point of planeteers to represent each part of the world since they're defending it, well fuck Australia then.

Underrated

It's because getting offended over stupid shit it's entirely an American thing and most recently in some part of Europe too
If it's a fun character everyone is going to love him
Ironically enough getting buttblasted over what shows up on TV makes [ethnic group] seem American as fuck

Only if you define "forced diversity" as whichever ones upset the people who get triggered every time they see a black lead in a movie that isn't somehow related to black issues.

Forced diversity is when the diverse character has no character/personality. Their whole character revolves around them being black or gay.

gud

Nah he's just not written good but than again forced diverse characters aren't written good.

It was a decision and they figured it would be best. What should be focused on is how arnold did it right. Treating all of them as if they're human and not a diversity brownie point generator with the obligatory -race- episode..

Is there more 90s diversity shows ?

Token black and Asian isn't diverse

Yes. Those were the things I could think of off the top of my head, because those are the ones I personally saw, but I know there were more. I never really would have thought of Hey Arnold as a diversity show though, which earns it some points in my book.

Magic School Bus

>'Member when I wasn't socially conscious of diversity and just let it happen in shows rather than jump down the creator's social media feed any time an Indian character or intellectual female was introduced?

Power Rangers

care to read the tread sub-human?

I thought some of it was awkward even back then. I just didn't have the whole of this wonderful website and social media in general to express that opinion, and then get into the subsequent arguments required to push said opinions to ridiculous extremes.

Both very good examples. I could never get into Power Rangers. I can only take so much SUIYA SUIYAAA before I change the channel, it seems.

Sailor Moon almost suffered it
Pic is missing wheelchair bound sailor Mercury

Never heard of this before. This some weird internet rumor? Or is Takeuchi way more progressive than I figured? I mean, lesbians sure, but several non Japanese would have been quite a surprise.

that was the atemp to do an american version of sailor moon who never aired

No, as part of Saban's localization pitch, they wanted to turn into a live action show mixed with animation.

youtube.com/watch?v=udId1PJckhA

Hmmm I wonder what's "forced" diversity. It seems when diversity is implemented in anyway in this modern age people say it's forced despite the creator wanting to implement diversity because he actually wants to.

Forced diversity would be if in Star Vs, Marco kept bringing up the fact that he was Mexican instead of having any other personality. Or if Carlos from Magic School Bus added random Spanish words instead of making puns.

But I thought we liked Speedy Gonzales.

Remember when cartoon were really fun to watch?

See, but that's not forced. That's just crappie writing. Because there are a million shows that pull off a character bringing up they are Mexican and another million with the character randomly saying Spanish words. All of which have been executed fine. What IS "forced diversity"?

>despite the creator wanting to implement diversity
care to give an example so we can tell you why you are wrong

Forced diversity is diversity in any show they don't like. This also goes along with "pandering". No one here can actually tell you why pandering is bad.

>No one here can actually tell you why pandering is bad.
I can.
Current Marvel.

Well like the guy before said. In Stars Vs. There's a Mexican, but how in anyway is that forced I if the creator himself wanted to put a Mexican in his creation. See that Mexican is written in naturally to coincide with the plot. That's not him being shoved in there, he actually matters narrative wise.

But keep in mind Marvel has a history of pandering and most time it has been done right. You can say they're doing an awful job at pandering now(Which is really just bad writing) or that you don't like who they're pandering to, but pandering as a whole is something comics have always done.