This show is really, really, really substanceless. It's like it has no soul to begin with

This show is really, really, really substanceless. It's like it has no soul to begin with.

No soul, Sup Forums.

>modern cartoon has no soul
And you're surprised... why, OP?

how do you quantify how much soul a show has

>substanceless

Substanceless.
Without substance.
Okay.

You feel it, user. Duh.

it shits on hipsters and hippies so it has that going for it

How does it do that?

One uses a soul to measure soul, silly robutt.

E-Meters

Care to elaborate?

0/10 bait, please see me after class

you must be new to it

or the jokes went over your head

>Care to elaborate?
that's not even my post

Because we are nearing the year 2020 and I don't see any end to this constant plague of shit since 2008's Chowder and 2011 Adventure Time.

By comparing to other similar shows of course.

Then by stating simple things like: the character isn't an obnoxious spastic idiot.
None of the characters are parodies of themselves, morons.
The show takes itself a little more seriously and doesn't waste 3 seasons going nowhere.
There are no awkward dialogue exchanges and silent moments.
The villain doesn't try to feed the main character a dumb sandwich just because it's funny.
oh and they don't have that art style that just yells out loud "I'm retarded, laugh at me".

Marco is about the only reasonable character in this show full of idiots and sadly he's not very depthful himself.

Everything else feels like some sort of Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Uncle Grandpa mix. Including the PPG reboot. Everything always has to copy one another instead of being its own thing.

Wander Over Yonder did a better job at the lol-so-randumb because only the main character was an idiot (an overly positive idiot who wanted to be friends with everyone). WOY managed to take itself a little more seriously compared to the rest of modern cartoons.
Like for example Kids Next Door and Fillmore! could take themselves really seriously despite immature the subject matter.

Well when the main character is incapable of soul bending and has to cry like a bitch for daddy Aang to just go "lol you tried, here's your happy ending". I'd say that show has a serious lack of soul writing.

Soul writing, that should be a thing. Like soul food.

With your own soul. Feel the engine burning, of course.

You need to be patient, it has a weird way to do stuff.

>Believe in the heart of the cards and the soul of the game, Yugi. And the money will come in reeking with all it spirit of a dumb kid playing with his parents wallet like a toy.

>implying that Motorcity was good

Not quite the game I had in mind, but close enough.

When Disney doesn't have your cartoon show by the balls.

You ask Dark Souls.

I think it started off feeling kind of derivative but with small moments of potential, maybe because some of the people working on it then legitimately might not have given a shit. Then it got better, got more people working on it who gave a damn in the second season (and the ones who did from the very beginning got more creative influence over it), and ultimately created an interesting universe.

The first episodes feel really separate from the latest ones even though they've put in a lot of effort to make it all cohesive narratively. Embracing some of the more awkward elements of the first season and trying to fit it all into one single universe, rather than writing them out entirely.

I was really fucking confused when I first saw it, I was super, like the Miraculous Lady Bug, that there was something original in the telling of the story, but no. It's so fucking flat and soulless and by rote.

It kind of makes me think of if Seth McFarland tried to make a show for children. Everything is hamfisted and obvious and shitty.

Contrarians need to get the fuck out of the board if they only contribute nothing other than hating a show just because everyone else likes it.

>The villain doesn't try to feed the main character a dumb sandwich just because it's funny.
It wasn't supposed to be tho.

That's just like, your opinion, man.

>(you) dont have to watch it

When the cast & crew have as much love for the show as the fanbase.
From what I've seen though, SvtFoE definitely has soul.

Eh, I dunno. The characters are kinda fun, and the overall world is decent. You want a show that has no soul? Penn Zero. Every episode seemed so entirely lacking, despite the show having a pretty good thing going. I just found it impossible to get invested.

Still have to deal with all the retards who think it's the best thing around.

You don't have to do that either?

No, not really. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Literal samefag.

No, I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining, you do have to deal with retards who think its the best thing ever (you). You do have to deal with 8 threads on the show being up at the same time and clogging up the board.

Nu-DuckTales is even worse, at least Star is a original IP and starts getting good by the time skip.

NuDuckTales makes The Nut Shack look like Avatar:TLA.

why do people always say thism, but it never happens

>UH, WELL [INSERT SHOW HERE] ALWAYS HAS LIKE 20 THREADS UP AT A TIME

>Check board

>Fucking 1 or maybe 2 threads about said show on at a time

stop overacting to everything you fucking faggots

>Marco is about the only reasonable character in this show full of idiots and sadly he's not very depthful himself.

This is how I feel about Greg in SU. I only saw a few episodes but in every one he was treated like shit by the gems, and when he tried to spend time with his son or tell them he didn't like Steven doing dangerous shit, they'd tell him to fuck off and put Steven in danger the next second.

>Never happens

It happened less than a week ago.

If you had a soul you would know

This post is really, really, really substanceless. It's like it has no soul to begin with.

this scene made me want to finish this show

Maybe because of the fucking season finale, you monumental dipshit?

That was a good episode though. It's not often you see a villain struggle from rock bottom to survive and rebuild.

I don't give a shit. Maybe if it was the series finale I would understand. Otherwise, I'd say 4 threads max is reasonable.

Contrarians are actually important to a healthy subject discussion. It helps test and reaffirm previously stated beliefs and puts them to the test so you can remember why you believe something in the first place.

>onscreen death
>getting ripped appart
>eating the flesh of the sentient being you just talked to not too long ago
how are people not convinced?

I refuse to believe anyone actually liked Wander Over Yonder

Only the first season really and even there, there's a few stand out episodes. I don't know how anybody can look at the production of this show or that new book that came out with all the lore and details and not think there's any soul to it. It's clearly the sort of thing created with actual care to it's story especially considering it came out of some random comics.

You want to know the version of this with no soul, if it had gotten picked up by CN where it was originally pitched and been nothing but one-off depressing autism trips. Nobody would have given a shit about it

you fucker
I was there
I was in that thread when we made that collage
I was with /m/ every week watching that show
I had so much fun
I miss it...

It could have been worse.

S1 (and some episodes of S2 honestly) of Korra was ridiculous with this. The S1 finale was just the most ridiculous

And then TRY happened.

I literally sat and waited in my car every morning after class, just so I could catch and watch GBF the moment it was uploaded.
Good times.

Good memories are beautiful because they remain in our minds. They may not always be recreated but they live in our hearts forever

Could have sworn Sup Forums liked this cartoon when it came out...

Yeah...

I didn't expect to remember those memories here on Sup Forums of all places. Hell, I can even spot my picture from that collage. But you're right. Those were good times. Thanks for making me remember.

Know what? I agree with the statement from the user I quoted. Star vs. is not a perfect show. But it definitely has soul.

once people like a good show for long enough

soon people start to hate the show for no reason other than its popular

same thing happening to all popular shows

Its almost like Sup Forums isnt a single person or something

Nobody really cared about this when it started. Now a lot of people actually like it, which means of course, more people come out to dislike it

So Star fans what would you consider the "if you don't like it by here then this show isn't for you" episode?

I can spot mine as well. I was so happy to get it in.
Amazing how long ago it was.

did that other guy die?

Watch the finale of Season 1, then Watch Season 2. There are a few more select episodes you could watch from S1 like Mewberty and the episodes involving Toffee.

Most of Season 1 is somewhat lacking in substance because the show was finding it's feet. The plot gets much meatier and the show gets considerably better in the second season

If you're including S2 in your statement then your a fucking retard and I hate you because your statement is objectively wrong.

>If you're including S2 in your statement then your a fucking retard and I hate you because your statement is objectively wrong.
>Objectively wrong

Nope, it's objectively right.

I think the first indication of a real quality episode people remember is Mewberty but the peak episode that got peole talking is Blood Moon Ball.

Really the show doesn't come into it's own until the S1 finale and there's some episodes before that that lead into it so really you're better off just watching the whole thing

Skipping BMB is a mistake. And the S1 finale impact makes no sense without the Toffee buildup it was doing

Nice bait but Season 2 has been packed full of character development, deep plot threads, character arcs, meaningful interactions between characters and emotional moments.

It is objectively wrong to say that the show has no soul or substance if you're including the second season. It's genuinely the deepest cartoon airing right now and that's not an exaggeration.

Good point, I forgot about Blood Moon Ball, very important episode.

Honestly if you don't think this show has potential after Mewberty I'd say don't bother. Magic in this show can get to that kind if weird

I think it's a complete falsehood to look at the story that's unfolding in S2, the production that's going into it and the way it grew from a literally nothing show into what it is now and then say it has no soul or substance behind it

The first OP still brings a smile to my face.
Hitori ja nai...

I'm willing to bet half the people here haven't seen it yet.

Blood Moon Ball probably.

But since Season 1 is only 13 episodes long I would recommend just watching all of it. It'll only take a few hours to do and if you still don't like anything about it by the end of the S1 finale then it's probably just not your thing.

Blood Moon Ball/Fortune Cookies.

Specifically the latter; if the idea of a continuing plot still isn't interesting you then it probably never will.

Or to go even further, the Season 1 finale Storm the Castle. If you've either watched that far and still don't like, or checked that episode out after not liking earlier episodes and also didn't like it, then you probably won't be interested in seeing episodes that deal with its repercussions.

I'm not even saying "you have to watch it exactly this far," just that if you're forcing yourself to continue by either of those points you should probably just stop.

But I've watched the whole show and am waiting for S3

I'm even thinking about getting that book with all the lore in it

You know, I'm rewatching the series and judging from the first episodes I can see where your opinion may come from. When I first started watching it I had the nagging impression that there was a lot of hidden, wasted potential, however I could point my finger on the reason.
I didn't understand why I didn't want to dismiss it as a standard average cartoon and drop it. Turns out there actually was a "soul" and a lot of care in it, but instead of showing it in the principle the show almost tried to trick us that there weren't at the beginning, for some weird reason.
Let's say, watch until episode 6 or 8 to see if its bizzarre storytelling and characters might interest you. The opening doesn't lie.

What does any of this have to do with "soul"? It seems more like this is a list of things you don't like. user, are you using "soul" as a meaningless buzzword in an attempt to make yourself look more intelligent?

>Nice bait but Season 2 has been packed full of character development, deep plot threads, character arcs, meaningful interactions between characters and emotional moments

At least half of it is filler, the emotional moments aren't that good/impactful, partially due to the tone of the whole show, and I'm not exactly sure what your idea of deep is.

>retards avoid a show because contrarians say it's bad
>as a result, show doesn't become as popular as it should be

Not really healthy.

Popular things are popular. Fucking deal with it, you pussy.

I felt the same way. It seemed like the show that was a decent enough comedy but with some frustratingly tantalizing bits of potential for a deeper plot and setting.

And then it eventually started delivering on that potential, sometimes even going beyond my expectations, before the season had finished. But I think when it premiered some were already turned off by the first episodes seemingly promising a series that would always be stagnant and episodic, and so didn't stick around to watch it change.

Its being more popular now probably has to do with more going back and giving it another chance after an admittedly weak opening.

Me & my sister enjoyed SU and Gravity Falls, so we thought we'd try this show out as it looks similar in some ways. 10 minutes in we'd dropped it. The whole show feels so obviously focus-grouped. Star is the most tryhard protag on tv today.

Star is literally Mabel with a magic wand
If you liked GF there's no reason to dislike Star as a character

For Marco she blew up her wand, if Mabel was in that situation you bet your ass she'd let them die

I dropped the show back in the first episode actually. I was hyped for it but it turned out just sort of okay and the Ponyhead episode killed it for me. I didn't come back until I saw some screencaps of Ludo in the Wild and was surprised, so I caught up to that and now I'm hooked.

I seriously think something changed in the development process during S1, like they gave Nefcy more freedom or something

Except Star is given as much development as Marco, unlike Mabel with Dipper.

First episode isn't very much like the rest of the episodes.

I'd like to know what you mean by
>so obviously focus-grouped
because the later episodes don't feel that way at all. The first season actually corrects some of its own problems as it progresses.

>Star is literally Mabel with a magic wand
I disagree for a few reasons. One is that Star actually suffers a lot because of her own actions, in fact she's still suffering right now. Mabel outside of like one or two times never suffers anything. Another is that I actually like Star while I just thought Mabel was okay and my opinion of her got worse. Third, I feel like Nefcy is actually going to develop Star over time while I never got that Hirsch had any kind of plan for Mabel

>10 minutes in we'd dropped it.
I may have found your problem, sir.
Also,Star works pretty well as a character, and actually gets punished for her bullshit

They did give her more freedom.

First season she was the executive producer, but the show was "developed for television" by two other co-executive producers.

Come the second season, they're gone, she's the one in charge, and two of the best boarders from the first season who seem to be responsible for much of the DEEP LORE now also have greater influence over the show.

Also only 3 boarders from the first season, two of whom are the ones mentioned above, stuck around. The rest are new, There also seem to be story/season outlines planned out in advance by a consistent team, of which Nefcy is a part.

Basically Nefcy has more control now and they're not just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks anymore.

No Disney original series gets to be only the third series since 2000 to get a fourth season and not be at least somewhat decent OP.

Think about how anal Disney is with all their other cartoons to have that much faith in it.

>I get 4 seasons of Star vs but WoY died for this

>retards watch a show because fanbois say its good
>as a result, show becomes more popular than it should be

Huh?

Ok /sug/

The music in this show is fucking top tier.
That gives me enough reason to watch the show.

gotta admit ponyhead also almost killed it for me, what a terrible character
I really wasnt in the mood for any adventure time bullshit this time

>One is that Star actually suffers a lot

just recently over Marco, really. That's it