"Captain Zhao!"

>"Captain Zhao!"
>"It's Commander now."

Why was he so smug about getting demoted?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cc4yTZDbTA0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Maybe he switched branches. An army captain has less relative authority than a naval commander.

ABS

Always
Be
Smug

>Applying real life military hierarchy to fantasy kung fu cartoons

>Commander Zhao!
>It's lieutenant commander now.

Maybe the Fire Nation ranks work differently. Or maybe the writers didn't notice. I didn't notice 'til just now (unless I'm being trolled) and I watched this stuff as it aired.

At least he ended up as an admiral.

Commander definitely definitely sounds more important than Captain even if Captain is the higher rank.

I'm sure it was a mistake by the writers.

>maybe if I sound smug about it, no one will notice

He's such a colossal embarrassment, wow. Maybe Zhao thought it was a promotion, but it wasn't really.

Ozai later made him the one to lead the siege of the northern water tribe. Where he failed miserably.

Ozai isn't the smartest, I mean he came up with the phoenix gimmick like on the spot
It's so embarrassing

>switched branches
Can you do that?

Captain has been a senior naval rank for centuries but it also denotes things like the master and commander of a ship and they're always referred to as captain regardless of their naval tank

Okay am I misremembering or is this thread being retarded?

He said "Admiral Zhao"

Which is like the naval equivalent of a General.

What do you think?

>Where he failed miserably
It went pretty well

Until the meddling kids

In the third episode, Zuko and Iroh refer to him as Captain Zhao then he replies with "It's Commander now"

He doesn't get the Admiral promotion until The Blue Spirit

ADMIRAL CHOY

Yes. Nothing stopping you from fulfilling your contract and jumping ship.

He chose to attack during a full moon just the fish killing would be more dramatic.

He is a dumbass.

This is Sup Forums, it's really 50/50.

>He is a dumbass.
If the Avatar himself hadn't been there, Zhao would have not only won, but eliminated Waterbending the world over.

yeah this is what I remember as well

Well you guys aren't remembering right.
Rewatch episode 3.

I tried to find a clip to show the "It's Commander now" scene and found this:

youtube.com/watch?v=cc4yTZDbTA0

Why the fuck does it exist?

Please stop this

>I have unresolved Daddy Issues: The Ship

The fish where only there during the fullmoon

You're mixing up two different episodes; the Commander line was from when he met Iroh and Zuko. His promotion to Admiral was when he was taking the Yu Yan archers away from Colonel Shinu.

Probably using the french ranking system instead of the english one.
Navy captain being so different from army captain sounds pretty retarded, desude.

Funny that was the name of Zuko's ship

or the japanese one since the fire nation is based on imperial japan

Dude was promoted two or three times in the space of a year. Either Fire Nation officers were being killed off fast as hell, their officer corps is small as fuck, or he was sucking some serious cock. Possibly all of the above. He's a pretty competent commander but holy shit does he not account for unexpected variables.

Never underestimate the potential of a yes-man willing to suck up and obey everything he is told to do in an authoritarian dictatorship.

Especially since Ozai probably Stalin'd quite a lot of the higher ups in his army.

You don't even have to fulfill your contract. Your contract is with the DOD, they don't give a shit how you serve as long as its' active duty. I got a guy ready to jump ship to the air force, and they're going to pay him $20k to do it.

To be fair, Zhou called Ozai's son a failure, challenged him to a deathmatch, and belittled him at every opportunity he had, as well as trying to blow him the fuck up.

Ozai was probably pleased a surrogate father was giving Zuko his daily dose of trauma, and promoted him.

He was going to destroy the spirit of the Moon which would have doomed everyone. He's a slobbering, cross-eyed, puffy-gummed, buck-toothed, gibbering moron who might as well be dressed like a Clown and making honking noises when he walks.

Wan't he a fleet commander though?

>doomed everyone
Just waterbender propaganda.

Who gives a shit about spirits that show favoritism towards Water Benders? Fire nation spirits are better anyways.

>Yu Yan archers

Elite archers are feared in that universe. Kind of dampens the fantastical abilities of benders.

>Lieutenant Commander Zhao!.
>its Sergeant now

i kinda fucked up, thats not really a naval rank

More importantly, why did he keep getting promoted?

>Jumped from Officer to Enlisted

>Petty Officer Second Class Zhao
>it's Able Seaman now

Considering that the war had completely stalled in the Earth Kingdom enough that Jeong Jeong (who seems to have been one of their highest ranking people on that front) just said to hell with it and took off, a high turnover rate seems pretty likely. Both KIA and forced resignation/executions back home.

That would a been hella hilarious.

No sun ever again. Eternal red-ness of the unsetting moon. Tides destroying shore based cities, weather fucking up life, water losing its minerals. We all dead, cause someone wanted fish for dinner.

How does a fish affect the gravitational pull of a giant rock orbiting the Earth?

Moon spirit magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

"Commander" in the Fire Nation is equivalent to "Commadore".

I bet they thought they were using "Commodore", or they thot "Commander" sounded cooler.

>Able Seaman Zhao!
>its civilian now

>You know, Zhao. I think you aren't really getting promoted

>Implying fantasy army that shoots fire follows classic hierarchy

Friggin autists.

Has it occurred to you that the fire nation may not have the same rank system as your country? That they might have a more intuitive system where a captain is the captain of a ship and a commander commands a fleet?

>civilian Zhao!
>it's nigger Zhao now

>Hey, my nigger Zhao!
>It's assistant nigger Zhao now!